Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's smarter ? YK or YG ?

Default Who's smarter ? YK or YG ?

Like father like son. Both are smart, cunning, and intellegent.

YK almost rivalled HR in terms of brain power. And HR admitted that she couldn't figure out YG's brain. Certainly both father and son have excellent A++ quality genes

(Although I found this hardly believable since YK's Dad is so dumb and his Mom has weak character, but that's another topic)

So, who is smarter between the two ? The Father or The Son ?

i would say YK is a lot more SLY (i mean, he lived in a royal court where ppl fight for power....)

YG just thinks counterculture....so HR probably had a harder time figuring him out.

Yang Kang murdered Ou Yangke and manipulated OU YANG FENG, an extremely sly bastard, into accepting him as a disciple. That takes skeelz

Originally posted by Ren Wo Xing
    Yang Kang murdered Ou Yangke and manipulated OU YANG FENG, an extremely sly bastard, into accepting him as a disciple. That takes skeelz
    So, are you saying that Yang Kang is more intellegent than his son, Yang Guo ?
    Last edited by Temujin; 03-07-04 at 07:40 PM.

Yang Guo was stupid enough to think that Guo Jing could have possibly killed his father and almost sold him out, all without any evidence for it. That's pretty dumb.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Default Re: Who's smarter ? YK or YG ?

"Although I found this hardly believable since YK's Dad is so dumb and his Mom has weak character, but that's another topic"

Yes, YK's father can be so dumb and his mom can be weak, don't forget the fact that YK is a descendant of the Yang's family. His ancestors are a great fighter and one of them, namely Mu Guiying, was pretty smart though.

I think both YG and YK are both intelligent. Somehow, I think YK is a mixture of intelligent and tactics. He was raised in the royal family surrouding with political situation. Thus, he somehow knows the tactics. YG is different. He is purely intelligent due to his brain.

Default Re: Re: Who's smarter ? YK or YG ?

Originally posted by Thai guy
    "Although I found this hardly believable since YK's Dad is so dumb and his Mom has weak character, but that's another topic"

Yes, YK's father can be so dumb and his mom can be weak, don't forget the fact that YK is a descendant of the Yang's family. His ancestors are a great fighter and one of them, namely Mu Guiying, was pretty smart though.

I think both YG and YK are both intelligent. Somehow, I think YK is a mixture of intelligent and tactics. He was raised in the royal family surrouding with political situation. Thus, he somehow knows the tactics. YG is different. He is purely intelligent due to his brain.
    Different Yang family.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

The same Yang family. The Yang's female warriors happened around mid of Sung Dynasty I supposed and LOCH was by the end of Sung.
    Last edited by Thai guy; 03-07-04 at 09:45 PM.

Originally posted by Thai guy
    The same Yang family. The Yang's female warriors happened around mid of Sung Dynasty I supposed and LOCH was by the end of Sung.
    No, Yang Kang's line is only traced back to his great great grandfather (or something around there), Yang Zai Xin, who was a peasant of unknown origins who became an outlaw bandit before being captured and conscripted into service under Yue Fei. The fame of Yang Jia Qiang, "Yang Family Spears", came about strictly due to the action and heroics of Yang Zai Xin in his battles against the Jin armies while under Yue Fei. Despite the fact that it would be MUCH more romantic that Yang Kang and Yang Guo were descendents of THAT Yang Family that we all know, it simply isn't true.
    Last edited by Moinllieon; 03-07-04 at 09:54 PM.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Originally posted by Moinllieon
    No, Yang Kang's line is only traced back to his great great grandfather (or something around there), Yang Zai Xin, who was a peasant of unknown origins who became an outlaw bandit before being captured and conscripted into service under Yue Fei. The fame of Yang Jia Qiang, "Yang Family Spears", came about strictly due to the action and heroics of Yang Zai Xin in his battles against the Jin armies while under Yue Fei. Despite the fact that it would be MUCH more romantic that Yang Kang and Yang Guo were descendents of THAT Yang Family that we all know, it simply isn't true.
    THANK GAWD Yang Kang wasnt the descendant of the warrior Yang family! i almost choke myself when i read Thai guy's post......dont wanna spoil Yang family's reputation in my eyes, by having Yang Kang as their descendants....

and i thought Yang Family Spear is the warrior Yang Family's martial art, whats it doing with Yang Zai Xin then? dont understand......

back to the topic....i think Yang Kang is much brighter in many terms expecially in terms of elusiveness, manipulative and slickness......yang Guo is bright, but i doubt he can deal with politics as well as Yang Kang who grew up with it....
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Originally posted by Moinllieon
    I think it's always been assumed by the general public and folklore that Yang Zaixing was related to the Yang Family Generals, even if it's not historically accurate. Like in Xiao Au Jiang Hu, the Peach fairies were talking nonsense in Yang Zaixing's temple. They're wondering who the statue is. One say it was Yang Liulang, another one said it was Yang Qilang, or Yang Zongbao, another even say Yang Qilang and Yang Zaixing was one in the same person. Complete idiots.

But since Jinyong's story is historical fiction, it's safe to relate Yang Zaixing to the Yang generals, just because it didn't say specifically in the novel. It makes the family line more prominent.

Originally posted by SkineePanda
    I think it's always been assumed by the general public and folklore that Yang Zaixing was related to the Yang Family Generals, even if it's not historically accurate. Like in Xiao Au Jiang Hu, the Peach fairies were talking nonsense in Yang Zaixing's temple. They're wondering who the statue is. One say it was Yang Liulang, another one said it was Yang Qilang, or Yang Zongbao, another even say Yang Qilang and Yang Zaixing was one in the same person. Complete idiots.

But since Jinyong's story is historical fiction, it's safe to relate Yang Zaixing to the Yang generals, just because it didn't say specifically in the novel. It makes the family line more prominent.
    But since Jin Yong's stories are historical fiction, wouldn't you think he would state such a relationship if he meant it to be? Heck, he went so far as to link DGSD characters to their historical counterparts (the Mu Rong and Duan clans). I think if Jin Yong meant to make such an ironic connection, he would have stated it out right instead of letting the reader speculate, especially since its basis is nothing more than just sharing a common surname. Nevermind one as popular as Yang.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

I think Jin Yong implies the relationship between Yang's Family Warriors and Yang Kang. The use of the spear by Yang Tiexin seems to imply something. The prominent and powerful weapon of Yang's Warriors is the spear. This was invented by Yang Liulang's father (forgot his name, sorry). If one re-watches "The Yang Family and The Great General" produced by ATV 1995. At the end, extremely end, it states that Yang Mun Kwong is the grandfather of Yang Zaixin.

Cool Comments

Agreed that YK got more training than YG. YK's plots are much more elaborate.

Like father like son, they were both dumb-arses, although Yang Guo was luckier.

Dumbest things they did:

- YK: He didn't kill Xa Gu. He relied too much on money (actually almost totally on money) to recruit followers. Both led to his death.

- YG: He thought that GJ and HR killed his father without any real evidence, and almost sold them out. He made too many enemies because of his arrogance and his smart-arse comments, unnecessarily. Those led to all of his mishaps. YG was lucky that he and XLN were still alive and together at the end.

Both father and son were clever and skillful, but both also seemed to lack good judgment skills. A few better judgments here and there and both of them would have had better lives.

They thought that they did the smart things, maybe they were right, but they definintely didn't do the wise things.

yeah but things led yg to believe hr and gj killed his dad it wasn't as if he saw them and then thought they did it, he had his reasons.

Yeah, and his reasons were stupid.

Originally posted by Candide
    Yeah, and his reasons were stupid.
    Yeung Gor's "reasons" basically came down to jumping to conclusions based on faulty and unverified information. Yeung Gor was a great fighter, but he would have sucked as a scientist or investigator.

I'm of the opinion that Jin Yong wanted to make an implicit connection between the lineage of Yeung Teet Sum/Yeung Hong/Yeung Gor and the Yeung Family Warriors who fought against the Khitan Liao Empire and the Hsi Hsia Kingdom during the time of the Northern Sung Dynasty. It seems entirely too coincidental that two entirely unrelated families of patriot warriors with the surname "Yeung" developed independent, but somehow identically-named and similarly-functioning spear techniques during the same general period of Chinese history.