Thread: Deun Yu and Deun Yin Hing - father and son reconciliation?

Default Deun Yu and Deun Yin Hing - father and son reconciliation?

Did Deun Yu and his true father, Deun Yin Hing, ever reconcile with one another in DGSD? They had been at odds for most of the story, but after learning their true relationship to each other, were they able to mend fences?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Did Deun Yu and his true father, Deun Yin Hing, ever reconcile with one another in DGSD? They had been at odds for most of the story, but after learning their true relationship to each other, were they able to mend fences?
    There was no indication that they ever met again.

It fits in with the novels theme of karma and retribution in a way. Although DYQ's actions made him unfit for the throne, he was still wrongly denied of the crown in the first place, so his bloodline was returned to the throne even if he himself was not.

And for DZC who had the bad karma of fathering so many children he never properly took care of, his line technically died since he had no male heir.
    Last edited by CC; 03-27-07 at 04:46 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

That's kind of a shame. Despite their differences, they were, after all, father and son.

I wonder what kind of man Deun Yin Hing had been in his youth, before the many calamities that befell him and turned him from Prince Deun Yin Hing of the Dali Kingdom into the scarred and twisted figure of Great Evil # 1. Was he once a dashing and handsome young prince as his son became?

That's kind of a shame. Despite their differences, they were, after all, father and son.

I wonder what kind of man Deun Yin Hing had been in his youth, before the many calamities that befell him and turned him from Prince Deun Yin Hing of the Dali Kingdom into the scarred and twisted figure of Great Evil # 1. Was he once a dashing and handsome young prince as his son became?
    That's something which was nice in DGSD 81, when they managed to reconcile before DYQ's death. Although it was rather sad, it did provide closure to that episode.

As stupid as the DGSD94 Taiwan version with Austin Wai and Eddie Kwan, one thing I did like was how they made DY and his biological father reconcile in that series. DY told if DYH can change his ways, he will welcome him back as a father. DYH and 3rd Evil set out to do good deeds and will not stop until they have made up for their evils they commit in the past.

well, it wasn't technically a reconciliation, but at minimum, a concession: duen yu did say something along the lines of not being able to deny that duen yin hing was his father, since his mother would never lie to him. duen yin hing was satisfied with that statement, and disappeared from story afterwards.

Was he once a dashing and handsome young prince as his son became?
    probably. when duen yin hing found out duen yu was his son, he was struck by the princely resemblance to himself in his younger days. duen yu himself also came to the realization in the story that he didn't look at all like duen jing sun, but he assumed this was because he looked like his mother.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

I've always missed why DYQ was stripped of the throne anyway. What was the reason he was overthrown for?

Quote Originally Posted by tape
    I've always missed why DYQ was stripped of the throne anyway. What was the reason he was overthrown for?
    Laviathan's article on the history of the Deun Royal Family sheds some light upon this.

Quote Originally Posted by tape
    Duan Yanqing was never overthrown because he was never king in the first place.

Laviathan's article on the history of the Deun Royal Family sheds some light upon this.
    The article has been expanded with Laviathan's blessings at:
    http://wuxiapedia.com/research/history/duan_family

Scroll down to "12. Duan Lianyi" and its sub-section "Who was Prince Yanqing?" for details.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Duan Yanqing was never overthrown because he was never king in the first place.

The article has been expanded with Laviathan's blessings at:
    http://wuxiapedia.com/research/history/duan_family

Scroll down to "12. Duan Lianyi" and its sub-section "Who was Prince Yanqing?" for details.
    The Deun Royal Family's internal problems have always been a bit mystifying from an outsiders' perspective. In the end, they were all members of the same family after all, weren't they? Well, big, powerful families often do collapse into fratricide over power and wealth, I suppose.

In DGSD, other than the fact that Deun Yin Hing had become Great Evil # 1, neither Deun Jing Ming nor Deun Jing Tsun seemed to have anything personal against him. In fact, had Deun Yin Hing *not* accumulated such a record of evildoing, Deun Jing Ming might have gladly given rule of the Dali Kingdom to him.

In DGSD, other than the fact that Deun Yin Hing had become Great Evil # 1, neither Deun Jing Ming nor Deun Jing Tsun seemed to have anything personal against him. In fact, had Deun Yin Hing *not* accumulated such a record of evildoing, Deun Jing Ming might have gladly given rule of the Dali Kingdom to him.
    Duan Zhengming's first thought after ascertaining the identity of Evil #1 as the missing Crown Prince Yanqing was this: "The throne belongs to Prince Yanqing in the first place. The Emperor Shangming [Duan Shouhui] ascended the throne years ago simply because Prince Yanqing could not be found. Then, the throne was passed on to me. Now that Prince Yanqing has suddenly reappeared, I should return the throne to him." Then, turning to [the Marquis of Shanchan] Gao Shengtai, he added, "If your father [Gao Zhisheng] was still alive, he would probably have suggested the same."

And it was Gao Shengtai who stopped him: "My late father [Gao Zhisheng] was loyal to the king and loving towards the people. This strange black-robed man [Duan Yanqing] is known as the leader of the Four Evils. If he becomes the King of Dali, we do not know how much our citizens will suffer. Your Majesty, your subordinate, Shengtai, is willing to die ten thousand times, but he does not dare to carry out your imperial edict of handing the throne over to that man."

This exchange, which was among the various novel excerpts quoted in the expanded Imperial Bloodline of the Duan Family of Dali, took place in Chapter 8.

Without Gao Shengtai, Duan Zhengming would have handed the throne the Duan Yanqing there and then, and cut short of story of DGSD. In real life, Gao Shengtai ruled Dali as king for two years after Duan Zhengming abdicated. Then, before his death, he instructed his heirs to return the throne to the Duans. But the overwhelming influence of the Gaos allowed them to remain very much in power during the second era of the Duan monarchy, which included the reigns of Duan Yu as Emperor Xuanren and Duan Zhixing as Emperor Gongji (prior to becoming Yideng).
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!