View Poll Results: Who's the best footballer in the world?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ronaldinho

5 38.46%
  • Thierry Henry

2 15.38%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

6 46.15%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Footballer in the World

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    I don't get the points thing. Care to explain?

No doubt Eto'o is a hugely influencial player. Pity about the injuries but then these things do happen. We'll see how he performs next season.

Also, hard for Drogba to win what? The African Player of the Year?
    Well, when he starts in La Liga, Barcelona has won 84% of the points available to them. (20 points from 8 matches). When he did not start, for whatever reason, Barca has only managed to win about 57% of the point available to them (36 out of 21 matches). That shows you how influential he really is. Though, to be fair, for a good deal of those matches, Messi was out too.

And yes, I was referring to the African Player of the Year.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Right now? I'd say Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldinho has been inconsistent and Henry hasn't been playing much this season either.

Kaka probably should be on that list too. He's been great this season, and also has been working his socks off.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The best player in the world right now is Lionel Messi. Interesting to see the choices from a couple of years ago. Of the three only Ronaldo would merit any consideration now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    The best player in the world right now is Lionel Messi. Interesting to see the choices from a couple of years ago. Of the three only Ronaldo would merit any consideration now.
    Agreed. Ronaldinho has had a very disappointing season, and Henry is sitting on his couch more than he's on the pitch.

I think Ronaldo is overrated, but he's the best of the three right now.

Petr Čech.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang ( :; 02-15-09 at 11:21 PM.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

i do not follow football closely. hence my choice over time is pele --> peter shilton --> ian rush --> zidane --> ronaldo --> now i am not sure, maybe ronny (correct spelling, man u)

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    i do not follow football closely. hence my choice over time is pele --> peter shilton --> ian rush --> zidane --> ronaldo --> now i am not sure, maybe ronny (correct spelling, man u)
    Did you mean Wayne Rooney?

I'm not really into football but I always hear the commentary when I listen to the radio. I'd say Cristiano Ronaldo is the best.
    Have you learned to love one another?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    No offense but I think that Rooney is a dirty player.
    -Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    Hmm I'm not sure about him playing dirty, but he does have a very bad temper that makes him more violent than dirty.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Yes, Rooney.

Thought that his temper does get better nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Agreed. Ronaldinho has had a very disappointing season, and Henry is sitting on his couch more than he's on the pitch.

I think Ronaldo is overrated, but he's the best of the three right now.
    Henry at 31 is not the player he was during his prime at Arsenal, but he is having a fine season for Barca with 12 goals in the league.

Ronaldo is a great talent, but he seems to me be somewhat of a selfish player. In event, he is has been surpassed by Messi in my opinon.

I think thug is a better word to describe Rooney.

Petr Čech.
    You aren't biased in favor of keepers are you Xiang'er?
    Cech is a fine player, but not the player he was a few years ago, and probably not even the best keeper in the EPL this year.

Me biased against fieldplayers? Nah. I just hate them. JK.
    -Doctor Who

This is a ridiculous poll. None of the players listed have done enough to be called 'best in the world'.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    This is a ridiculous poll. None of the players listed have done enough to be called 'best in the world'.
    When you say that none of the players listed has done enough to be called best in the world when are you talking about? When the poll was created back in 2007, Ronaldo would wind up third in the voting for FIFA world player of year for the 2007, Ronaldinho won world player of the year in both 2004 and 2005 and finished third in 2006. The most obvious ommission from the poll was Kaka who won world player of the year in 2007. The questionable inclusion was Henry had (for him) a sub-par year in the 2006-2007 season, but who had scored 35 goals the season before.
    If you are talking about this year, Ronaldo was the world player of the year last season. Either way I would hardly call the poll ridiculous.

All of these players are vastly overrated. Where are the likes of Maradona, Pele, di Stefano, Cruyff, Puskas, Beckenbauer? Or have you never heard of these legends? Don't talk to me about Cristiano being World Player of the Year. Vain-glorious git who couldn't wait to angle a move to Madrid before Fergie chopped up his dreams. He's not fit to shine the shoes of people like di Stefano.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    All of these players are vastly overrated. Where are the likes of Maradona, Pele, di Stefano, Cruyff, Puskas, Beckenbauer?
    Where are they? They are all retired and in the case of Puskas dead. The poll was for best player in the world, meaning current player as of the time the poll was created, the poll was not about who is the best player in the history of the game.

As for Ronaldo, I am not a fan. I think he is a diving prima donna. But he is talented and of the players who were listed back when the poll was created in 2007 he is the only one of the three who still merits consideration as one of the best players currently playing based on their performances in the 2008-2009 season. That said, I will repeat that the best player in the world this season has been Lionel Messi.
    -Doctor Who

Where are they? They are all retired and in the case of Puskas dead. The poll was for best player in the world, meaning current player as of the time the poll was created, the poll was not about who is the best player in the history of the game.

As for Ronaldo, I am not a fan. I think he is a diving prima donna. But he is talented and of the players who were listed back when the poll was created in 2007 he is the only one of the three who still merits consideration as one of the best players currently playing based on their performances in the 2008-2009 season. That said, I will repeat that the best player in the world this season has been Lionel Messi.
    Sorry Xiang'er. I didn't notice you were logged in.

First post said: Best player in the world, not best "living" player in the world, not best "currently playing" player in the world. So yes, these legends I mentioned do count. It's ridiculous to have a poll of only 3 players, none of whom have made such a dramatic impact on the game that they can be called best in the world. But obviously, that's not something "fans" these days can understand.
    玉木宏

blog