View Poll Results: Dugu versus Dugu, who will be Seeking a Loss?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Swordless Dugu of ROCH

11 52.38%
  • The Nineswords Dugu of XAJH

3 14.29%
  • Both will die together

7 33.33%

Thread: Dugu versus Dugu...

Default Dugu versus Dugu...

if the Swordless Dugu of ROCH vs the Nineswords Dugu of XAJH, who will really be Qiubai?

Some information:

The Swordless Dugu of RoCH is described to be able to swordlessly overcome any other swordman.

However, the Nineswords Dugu of XAJH is not by any means less monumental, he is said to be capable of overcoming opponents whose the amount of internal energy is boundless.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

i don't see the distinction.

are we pretending that the swordless dugu knows nothing about dugu 9 sword?

and that the 9 swords dugu knows nothing about being swordless?

personally, i don't think a swordless dugu is achievable without the knowledge of dugu 9 sword. yet, at the same time, dugu 9 sword would probably not be executed to its full potential if dugu had not considered the possiblity of no swords since it is suppose to be an index of ALL sword style under heaven...

such contradictions

9 swords win easy. dogu w/o a sword probably cant even handle ling hu chong
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Overcoming the sword without the sword is the highest level so obviously he will win and also Dugu in the no sword level knows Dugu 9 swords

Quote Originally Posted by david1025
    Overcoming the sword without the sword is the highest level so obviously he will win and also Dugu in the no sword level knows Dugu 9 swords
    dogu only defeated all the swords man at that time w/o a sword, but that doesnt say much considering there was nobdy at his level at his time. dogu w/o a sword is way overrated. 6msj is a better no sword technique
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

dogu only defeated all the swords man at that time w/o a sword, but that doesnt say much considering there was nobdy at his level at his time. dogu w/o a sword is way overrated. 6msj is a better no sword technique
    You cant compare 6msj to Dugu's no sword because no one was able to master no sword besides Dugu and Dugu did not made any appearance
    Last edited by david1025; 03-30-07 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying
    i don't see the distinction.

are we pretending that the swordless dugu knows nothing about dugu 9 sword?

and that the 9 swords dugu knows nothing about being swordless?

such contradictions
    even if they are the same in martial art knowledge as you write, there's still an important difference, that is the Swordless Dugu does not have any sword in his hands whereas the NineSwords Dugu does.
    If Dugu No-Sword was invincible to any other swordsman during his lifetime, would he still be so to himself supported with a sword?
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 03-30-07 at 08:36 AM.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    However, the Nineswords Dugu of XAJH is not by any means less monumental, he is said to be capable of overcoming opponents whose the amount of internal energy is boundless.
    Doesn't appear logical to me. Jinyong shouldn't have added such a sentence.

Dugu Qiubai being able to use any object as a sword was probably due to his immerse inner strength. Anyone who can wield that Heavy Iron Sword like an ordinary sword must have had quite high inner powers. The focus was not on flashy elaborate techniques but on his inner strength. This was well demonstrated by Yang Guo.

Yang Guo was able to wield a heavy sword-like club (Heavy Iron Sword) to defeat all his adversaries at the Chingyang Shrine because of his inner strength and the quality of the weapon. People are finding it hard to evade such a massive and lethal weapon infused with inner strength that just won't break. This is logical.

You wave a sword at me and I'll club you into the 9th Level of Heaven using a giant steel bat. My one stroke of "No Stance" beats your elaborate "72-Stance-Whatever" sword dance because of my much superior inner strength.

For Linghu Chong, it's exactly the opposite. Despite having weak or no inner strength for much of the time, he was able to defeat his opponents easily. This is illogical. If you have no inner strength, you can't even display basic qinggong (lightness kungfu), not to mention stabbing opponents in flash-like movements.

Linghu Chong waves a sword at Yang Guo, and Yang Guo will raise his sleeve and send out a wave of Sad Palms. Linghu Chong, having no inner strength, will be mutilated on the spot with one direct blow to the face.

And if I had "boundless inner strength", I'll just "tap" my opponent. No need for a sword.
    "By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart."

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    if the Swordless Dugu of ROCH vs the Nineswords Dugu of XAJH, who will really be Qiubai?

Some information:

The Swordless Dugu of RoCH is described to be able to swordlessly overcome any other swordman.

I would put it this way: Since dugu was so powerful in his time that no one could withstand a few stances, there's no more joy in his wins using a sword. The only thing that could excite him is if he tried some fancy things, which resulted in him trying to beat his comtemporaries without using a sword. And the resultant result is still the same, which dugu won easily.

in this case, it does not mean that dugu without sword is an even higher level than dugu with sword, just that his contemporaries were so weak that there's no difference whether he uses a sword or not.

to put it in analogy, consider a chess grandmaster. he can easily defeat an amateur. to add more interesting and to balance his oppenent weaknesses, grandmaster normally plays simultaneous games against tens of amateur oppenents at the same time. still the grandmaster wins. there's also cases where the chess grandmaster plays blindfolded against the amateurs. still the grandmaster wins. in this case, it does not mean the grandmaster who plays blindfold and win against the amateur is of higher level than the grandmaster than beats the amateur without blindfolding himself, it's just that the opponent is so weak that there's no big news in beating the amateur without any handicap. imagine 2 grandmasters play each other, with one blindfolded and one seeing the chessboard, then there's no question who's gonna win. the win is certainly going to be the grandmaster seeing the board.

applying this to dugu now, when there are 2 dugus: one with sword, one without, i would rather believe dugu with sword will eventually wins. dugu with sword means full stength, dugu without sword means he's not in full strength, but still more than enough to beat anyone, so to the observers, there's no difference, and it seems higher level.
    Last edited by shortsight; 03-31-07 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight
    I would put it this way: Since dugu was so powerful in his time that no one could withstand a few stances, there's no more joy in his wins using a sword. The only thing that could excite him is if he tried some fancy things, which resulted in him trying to beat his comtemporaries without using a sword. And the resultant result is still the same, which dugu won easily.

in this case, it does not mean that dugu without sword is an even higher level than dugu with sword, just that his contemporaries were so weak that there's no difference whether he uses a sword or not.

to put it in analogy, consider a chess grandmaster. he can easily defeat an amateur. to add more interesting and to balance his oppenent weaknesses, grandmaster normally plays simultaneous games against tens of amateur oppenents at the same time. still the grandmaster wins. there's also cases where the chess grandmaster plays blindfolded against the amateurs. still the grandmaster wins. in this case, it does not mean the grandmaster who plays blindfold and win against the amateur is of higher level than the grandmaster than beats the amateur without blindfolding himself, it's just that the opponent is so weak that there's no big news in beating the amateur without any handicap. imagine 2 grandmasters play each other, with one blindfolded and one seeing the chessboard, then there's no question who's gonna win. the win is certainly going to be the grandmaster seeing the board.

applying this to dugu now, when there are 2 dugus: one with sword, one without, i would rather believe dugu with sword will eventually wins. dugu with sword means full stength, dugu without sword means he's not in full strength, but still more than enough to beat anyone, so to the observers, there's no difference, and it seems higher level.
    That is not the meaning of no sword.

The way that DGQB described how he gradually reached the stage makes it sounds like it has to be a much higher stage.