Thread: Actresses and their Voices

Default Actresses and their Voices

Who do you think has a bad speaking voice? There's tons of people who I think should really be dubbed.

1) Zhou Xun ~ for the obvious, way too deep and rough

2) Zhao Wei ~ I don't know, it seemed ok for HZGG, but in her recent series, seems a bit on the deep/unenthusiastic side, although definitely much better than Zhou Xun's

3) Ruby Lin ~ not very clear

4) Liu Yi Fei ~ too childish sounding, only good for very immature characters

5) Cecilia Cheung ~ same problem as 1)-3), but I think some guys might think her voice is sexy or something

6) Charmaine Sheh ~ chicken voice

7) Jang Nara ~ kiddy voice

8) Karen Mok ~ good singing voice, but a bit too deep for speaking

9) Lin Zhi Ling ~ too high pitched and kiddy sounding

Actresses with really good voices:

1) Zhang Zi Yi ~ pleasant to the ears

2) Rainie Yang ~ clear and very good pronounciation compared to other Taiwanese actresses who can't get rid of their accent no matter how long they've been in Mainland for some strange reason

3) Sun Li ~ clear, expressive voice

4) Sammi Cheng ~ probably a result of her singing

5) Shu Chang ~ clear, youthful voice, but she can sound mature when needed

What do you guys think?

Cherrie Ying has a horrid voice similar to Cecilia Cheung's.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Cherrie Ying has a horrid voice similar to Cecilia Cheung's.
    i agree a lot. good point.

cecilia's voice is bad on screen, but her singing isnt that bad. i bought a few of her albums and it was great. i also love that song she sang in the polar movie with richie ren
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I personally like Zhou xun's voice as well as Gong Li. It is on the lower side, but I like how it sounds mature..making it sound sexy. These days.. actresses want to look cute or sound like babies.. give me a headache. *Cough cough taiwan*

Also, the japanese actresses all try to sound like anime characters
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Also, the japanese actresses all try to sound like anime characters
    lol, anime characters
    not that i would know though, because i dont watch anything japanese
    ~
    .shu chang.
    Leanna, <3

Most taiwanese actresses.

I mean, seriously, Ruby should NOT still be speaking with a strong Taiwanese accent. Her voice is really really annoying, but it's probably mainly the way she talks. Ady has a really horrible voice too.

Liu Yi Fei doesn't have a bad speaking voice, but it seems to be unadaptable... sounds the same all the time and too "young" for most roles.

I am smelling some racial discrimination here!
    Last edited by Ivy; 04-01-07 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy
    I am smelling some racial discrimination here!
    haha... i have nothing against taiwanese people, but there's truly a lack of talented Taiwanese actresses. The majority are very cutesy and can't really act. To a mainlander, the accents are also hard on the ears which is why i'm glad they are dubbed in mainland series.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    Ady has a really horrible voice too.
    I think Ady has a pretty nice speaking (not singing) voice though, especially when she's acting. She's one of the few taiwanese actresses who can inject the right emotions into her voice to suit the character she plays and her speech is rather clear-sounding as well. It's only when she's acting in a mainland/ancient series does it sound out of place because of the difference in accents.

haha... i have nothing against taiwanese people, but there's truly a lack of talented Taiwanese actresses. The majority are very cutesy and can't really act. To a mainlander, the accents are also hard on the ears which is why i'm glad they are dubbed in mainland series.
    Mainland actors also have their voices dubbed eventhough their accents might be appropriate for the series. Probably to cut out background noises, to standardize the speech/tone and to enhance portrayal of the characters since professional dubbers no doubt improve the overall performance of a character as well.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 04-01-07 at 03:13 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

There are some, they just don't get recognition because they're much older/experienced, or the younger ones with good acting skills are shot out of the spotlight because they're not as cute/pretty as the idols right now.

I agree that I don't really like the Taiwanese accent, but like I mentioned, Rainie Yang's voice is pretty good, and Xu Wei Lun has a cute voice too (though bad singing voice). Angela Chang's voice isn't too bad either.

I feel sorry for professional dubbers who contribute so much to the success of the film, but get so little credit. Can you imagine LYF's voice throughout ROCH? And yet her dubbing lady remains faceless, how sad.

Yeah Ady's voice is alright, only problem is the accent. I wonder if it's the fact that some actresses REFUSE to lose their native accent or they try, but can't? It seems strange that Ruby still has a huge accent after so many years in Mainland. Look at Zhang Ting who speaks like a Mainlander and Nicholas Tse who can pass off as someone from Beijing.

Ady tries adopting the Beijing accent recently in "The Great Revival", a historical epic series. She sounds okay, though u can still hear a a little of that Taiwan accent in her speech.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    Ady tries adopting the Beijing accent recently in "The Great Revival", a historical epic series. She sounds okay, though u can still hear a a little of that Taiwan accent in her speech.
    i'm glad she's doing that
    chinese actresses lack the capacity (in general) to try really different things.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I feel sorry for professional dubbers who contribute so much to the success of the film, but get so little credit. Can you imagine LYF's voice throughout ROCH? And yet her dubbing lady remains faceless, how sad.
    Do they even put the dubbers into the credits? LYF's dubbing was the only thing that made her XLN passable- very beautiful and expressive.

Rainie has a sweet voice, Angela has a very nice voice. When i hear Ady, she seems to have a particularly strong accent.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    i agree a lot. good point.

cecilia's voice is bad on screen, but her singing isnt that bad. i bought a few of her albums and it was great. i also love that song she sang in the polar movie with richie ren
    I agree!!! Cecilia was singing this song on "第601的电话“ and it was soo good.
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

i'm glad she's doing that
    chinese actresses lack the capacity (in general) to try really different things.

Do they even put the dubbers into the credits? LYF's dubbing was the only thing that made her XLN passable- very beautiful and expressive.
    I love the voice of the person who dubbed LYF's XLN in ROCH. Very soothing, matured and calm-sounding. Just like what i imagine XLN to sound like.

Rainie has a sweet voice, Angela has a very nice voice. When i hear Ady, she seems to have a particularly strong accent.
    Angela sounds better when she sings then when she speaks. I dunno why but young taiwanese actresses tend to always have those cutesy pronunciations for certain words which makes them sound childish.

Ady sounds pretty loud and very taiwanese-like when she speaks normally in interviews and variety shows. But when she speaks in her serials, she sounds very different, especially if shes portraying a soft role (like in The Outisders). She sounds very clear and sweet in The outsiders.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    I love the voice of the person who dubbed LYF's XLN in ROCH. Very soothing, matured and calm-sounding. Just like what i imagine XLN to sound like.

Angela sounds better when she sings then when she speaks. I dunno why but young taiwanese actresses tend to always have those cutesy pronunciations for certain words which makes them sound childish.

Ady sounds pretty loud and very taiwanese-like when she speaks normally in interviews and variety shows. But when she speaks in her serials, she sounds very different, especially if shes portraying a soft role (like in The Outisders). She sounds very clear and sweet in The outsiders.
    I don't have anything really against their true voices. I think Liu Tao sounds really loud in interviews too, but I think they should know to change it when they're doing a series. Some actresses I've mentioned don't even do that--their voice hardly even fluctuate on and off screen.

Just curious for the guys out there, do you actually LIKE harsh-sounding voices like Karen Mok, Zhou Xun, and Cecilia? Maybe their voices are actually considered 'good voices' to guys haha.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I
    Just curious for the guys out there, do you actually LIKE harsh-sounding voices like Karen Mok, Zhou Xun, and Cecilia? Maybe their voices are actually considered 'good voices' to guys haha.

I'm not sexist.. but I like their voices because it breaks the stereotype that girls/women have ot have cutesey voices. Karen's voice sounds like she can control people, ZX's voice sounds mature while Cecilia has a unique voice
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07