Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray vs HD

Canuck21, you got a good point there. Not to mention that since I'm a movie lover, I'd want to buy it in the highest quality available to support them. Without support, the industry would be doomed. Anyways, judging from what's been released on both formats, I'd prefer Blu-Ray. It has more movies I like, with a few more of my favorites coming(Robocop, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Director's Cut, etc.) I'll admit that HD-DVD has a better price but the titles just don't really appeal to me. Besides, I'd rather buy a PS3 since I am big into Japanese developed games.

Default Toshiba pulls the pin?

Just wondering, is there a way to combine the best of Blu-ray and HD?

since most of the big companies are supporting Blu-Ray, it's pretty much over for HD, the good news is there is currently 2 Blu-Ray and HD DVD combo players for around $800, one from LG, the other from Samsung.

LG

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...89BH200&tp=171

Samsung

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...5BD5000&tp=171

We can safely say that HD DVD is dead now, or at least on life support. It's too bad because it was the most consumer friendly format. Blu-ray is good, but it was released at least one year too soon. People who bought profile 1.0 players have been screwed royally. Even today, profile 2.0 are not even out yet. The only player that equal the Toshiba XA2 will have a retail price of two grand! All the other Blu-ray players are quite incomplete. I will wait until Blu-ray gets its act together and give me a good player at a decent price.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by sfccrx View Post
    since most of the big companies are supporting Blu-Ray, it's pretty much over for HD, the good news is there is currently 2 Blu-Ray and HD DVD combo players for around $800, one from LG, the other from Samsung.

LG

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...89BH200&tp=171

Samsung

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...5BD5000&tp=171
    Those Koreans players are very buggy. To stay far away from them I suggest.

I've been seeing Blu-ray drivers for PCs starting at $150. Don't know about the quality though.

So it's over? I guess my old DVD player won't be able to play Blu-ray, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    So it's over? I guess my old DVD player won't be able to play Blu-ray, right?
    Relax! This from Blu Ray.com:
    "Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. In fact, most of the Blu-ray players coming out will support upscaling of DVDs to 1080p/1080i, so your existing DVD collection will look even better than before. While it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with DVDs."

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Relax! This from Blu Ray.com:
    "Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. In fact, most of the Blu-ray players coming out will support upscaling of DVDs to 1080p/1080i, so your existing DVD collection will look even better than before. While it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with DVDs."
    I'll still have to buy a new Blu-ray player though,

But I guess it'll make all my old series and movies look better than ever.

I'll still have to buy a new Blu-ray player though,

But I guess it'll make all my old series and movies look better than ever.
    To play BD, yes you will need to buy a Blu-ray player. As for your DVDs, they will only look better if your TV has fixed pixels, meaning a high definition digital TV. Also, if your current DVD player already upconverts, than adding a BD player won't change the picture quality of your DVDs in most cases. It really depends on the chip that do the upconvertion. Right now, the best chip is the Realta then comes the Reon, both from Silicon Optix. From other's reports, the PS3 upconverts almost as good as the Reon.

One of the best DVD players right now, if not the best is an HD DVD player, the Toshiba HD-XA2 which has the Reon. No Blu-ray player beats that player at the moment, not even the Samsung BDP-1200 which also incorporates the Reon, but is extremely buggy. In the upcoming months, Denon and Marantz will bring onto the market players that will have the Realta, but those players will cost you at least two grand. All the other Blu-ray players' upconvertion are ordinary and no better than regular DVD players that upconvert.

"Toshiba quits HD DVD business" http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080219/.../japan_toshiba

"OKYO - Toshiba said Tuesday it will no longer develop, make or market HD DVD players and recorders, handing a victory to rival Blu-ray disc technology in the format battle for next-generation video.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"We concluded that a swift decision would be best," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told reporters at his company's Tokyo offices.

The move would make Blu-ray — backed by Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, and five major Hollywood movie studios — the winner in the battle over high-definition DVD formatting that began several years ago."

Well, I'm glad I got a PS3 for not only gaming but for choice of HD media format.

When I started this thread, I was trying to get help to decided which format(Blue-ray vs HD) to buy. After much research, I found the HD format more technically superior. Hd permits users many on-play features when viewing extras, has no zone restriction(i.e. you can play movies from Europe and Asia), the discs are coated, so less scratchable, etc. Blue-ray players have higher sales(the numbers are skewed by heavy PS3 sales) even though they are priced higher.

I went for the HD. Now Hd is dead, I am disappointed and and a little angry as I have spend close to $2000.00 on HD Dvds . I guess that that is the price one pays for being an early adopter who "betted on the wrong horse".
    HD has gone the path of Betamax(vs VHS). Betamax was superior then but lost out to VHS.

I stopped buying HD movies and will get a blue-ray player and start buying blue-ray movies. When prices drop, I will probably get a dual format(HD and BD) player.

On the lighter side, life sucks sometimes, like you fall for a girl and she turns out to be a tranny .
    Last edited by Thor; 02-19-08 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    On the lighter side, life sucks sometimes, like you fall for a girl and she turns out to be a tranny .
    Just curious, is that what Mainland people refer to as Demonic Human (Ren Yao)?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

When I started this thread, I was trying to get help to decided which format(Blue-ray vs HD) to buy. After much research, I found the HD format more technically superior. Hd permits users many on-play features when viewing extras, has no zone restriction(i.e. you can play movies from Europe and Asia), the discs are coated, so less scratchable, etc. Blue-ray players have higher sales(the numbers are skewed by heavy PS3 sales) even though they are priced higher.

I went for the HD. Now Hd is dead, I am disappointed and and a little angry as I have spend close to $2000.00 on HD Dvds . I guess that that is the price one pays for being an early adopter who "betted on the wrong horse".
    HD has gone the path of Betamax(vs VHS). Betamax was superior then but lost out to VHS.

I stopped buying HD movies and will get a blue-ray player and start buying blue-ray movies. When prices drop, I will probably get a dual format(HD and BD) player.

Read a few posts above. JamesG said that they're going to be making blu-ray players with backward capabilities with DVDs. Happy?

Read a few posts above. JamesG said that they're going to be making blu-ray players with backward capabilities with DVDs. Happy?
    , I know what James said.
    Watching SD dvds is not a problem for me(have several Dvd players including up converting ones). The move by those BD players will not help me for when my HD player dies, my HD collection becomes extinct unless I purchase another HD player assuming that they are still available.

I appreciate your comment, however I think we are talking about different things, perhaps you are somewhat confused about the different formats, SD(standard), BD(blue-ray) and HD(high defination).

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    yes, I think.

The Blu-ray players are not going to be backward compatible with DVDs, all HD DVD and Blu-ray players are already backward compatible with DVDs and that was from the start. Playing DVD is definitely not a concern. The reason I jumped so quick onto the HD DVD side was because Toshiba's HD DVD players were excellent DVD players. I was going to buy a new DVD player anyway so I thought "what the heck, might as well buy a DVD player that also plays HD DVD".

, I know what James said.
    Watching SD dvds is not a problem for me(have several Dvd players including up converting ones). The move by those BD players will not help me for when my HD player dies, my HD collection becomes extinct unless I purchase another HD player assuming that they are still available.

I appreciate your comment, however I think we are talking about different things, perhaps you are somewhat confused about the different formats, SD(standard), BD(blue-ray) and HD(high defination).

yes, I think.
    Now's hoping that Toshiba will bring to market a dual-formal player.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Yes, it is what Mainland people refer to as Ren Yao. Though, I've never quite considered "yao" to be demons? Seems more like minor imps or spirits to me . . .

How many HD DVD did you guy? I bought a total of 21 HD DVD. Unlike when DVD started, I was very selective with HD DVD and only bought movies that I really liked and knew that I would want to watch over and over again.

I am very disappointed by the outcome because IMO, Blu-ray is a rip-off. It has better specs, but the reality of the moment is far from being an advanced format when it comes to interactivity. The irony is despite having more CE support and therefore more choices, none of the current choices are satisfactory. I can't find a single BD player current or upcoming that will satisfy my needs. HD DVD only had Toshiba, yet all its models was good and worthwhile. It sucks.