Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Blu-ray vs HD

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Yes, it is what Mainland people refer to as Ren Yao. Though, I've never quite considered "yao" to be demons? Seems more like minor imps or spirits to me . . .
    Perhaps it's meant to be interpreted as spirit--which would be better. And yet, usually when I see/hear yao in movies, it's in the context of demons and monsters. That's why I found the translation ren yao to be highly offensive.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

To the HDDVD proponents i say HA HA!

Well the writing was on the wall since Warner defected to Blu-ray so it comes as no surprise that Toshiba finally has thrown in the towel. Although I suspect they will resist backing Blu-ray in the short term.

More good news for Blu fans. Universal Studios has announced they will start releasing their new release and catalogue movies on Blu-ray(http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Goes_Blu/1483)
    "...The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate. While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray."
    Last edited by u4ria; 02-19-08 at 06:35 PM.

That's because of the phrase, 'yao muo gui guai'; 'Spirits, Demons, Ghosts, Freaks'.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by u4ria View Post
    Actually this will not be the last laugh .

The last laughs will be from the Blue-ray Group:
    "HA HA HA, now that HD is dead, we got the consumers by the ball* and they have no choice but blue-ray. With monopoly, we are in no need to rush to improve technically, we can also keep the retail price of blue-ray players price high, and keep the prices of blue-ray dvds high as well"

So blue-ray bogo deals will be no more.

For myself, I will turn this negative to something positive. I will grab as many HD dvds at clearance price(just heard that Future shop and Bestbuy will have a 75% off HD dvds at the end of February).
    I have spent $2500 for a HD player and 60 plus Hd dvds. If I spend another $2000 at $7.50 to $10.00 per HD dvds at clearance price, I can pickup another 200 plus movies. The savings will pay for a top quality dual format player.
    I should be laughing instead of being angry

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post

"HA HA HA, now that HD is dead, we got the consumers by the ball* and they have no choice but blue-ray. With monopoly, we are in no need to rush to improve technically, we can also keep the retail price of blue-ray players price high, and keep the prices of blue-ray dvds high as well"

For myself, I will turn this negative to something positive. I will grab as many HD dvds at clearance price(just heard that Future shop and Bestbuy will have a 75% off HD dvds at the end of February).
    I have spent $2500 for a HD player and 60 plus Hd dvds. If I spend another $2000 at $7.50 to $10.00 per HD dvds at clearance price, I can pickup another 200 plus movies. The savings will pay for a top quality dual format player.
    that is typical logic coming from HDDVD believers. The idea of next gen dvd is to replace SDVD. you're not going to convince the general public to abandon SDVD if the prices are too high. And as with all new products, the prices will reduce over time.

So you think Blu-ray will have a monopoly? Think again. IT and CE companies will compete against each other for consumers wallet. Just like when companies competed against each other with the SDVD format. I hope you understand the reason why HDDVD players are so cheap. Toshiba was willing to sell at below cost.

And some of your understanding of HDDVD specs are wrong. HDDVD doesn't have scratch resistant coating. It's Blu-ray discs that have it... but meh its a defunct format... no point arguing about it. Enjoy your firesale

I know this is nitpicking, but it's Blu-ray, without the 'e'.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I don't know why you have to resort to such mockery--very typical of Blu-ray fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I know this is nitpicking, but it's Blu-ray, without the 'e'.
    Yes, Blu-ray is without "e", my error, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by u4ria
    that is typical logic coming from HDDVD believers. The idea of next gen dvd is to replace SDVD. you're not going to convince the general public to abandon SDVD if the prices are too high. And as with all new products, the prices will reduce over time.

So you think Blu-ray will have a monopoly? Think again. IT and CE companies will compete against each other for consumers wallet. Just like when companies competed against each other with the SDVD format. I hope you understand the reason why HDDVD players are so cheap. Toshiba was willing to sell at below cost.

And some of your understanding of HDDVD specs are wrong. HDDVD doesn't have scratch resistant coating. It's Blu-ray discs that have it... but meh its a defunct format... no point arguing about it. Enjoy your firesale
    It is true that the Blu-ray can try to replace SD-dvd but it is not coming anytime soon. Maybe in 5 to 10 years. SD-dvds are selling at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of Blu-ray discs and the cost of a good upconverting SD player is 1/4 the price of the cheapest Blu-ray player. For the masses, price is important.
    And further, with this new generation of viewers used to downloads freely available on the internet, it will take a lot to replace SD-dvds.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I don't know why you have to resort to such mockery--very typical of Blu-ray fanboys.
    of course fans of blu-ray should rejoice. our format won the battle with HDDUD. we know the war isn't over but right now, we can celebrate this milestone.

i detect sour grapes from HDDUD fanboys. since their format has lost, they come up with all sorts of excuses about how blu-ray will be a niche market and eventually will lose out to digital downloads and SDVD and take pot shots at Sony and the PS3. if HDDUD was in Blu-ray's position, the same excuses would apply to you guys too.

You can stick to your obsolete format and settle for SDVD upconversion. But no matter how great upconversion is, they will never equal or exceed pure HD video and audio quality.

This entices me to go buy a PS3. I wonder if the sales will go up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Radken View Post
    This entices me to go buy a PS3. I wonder if the sales will go up now.
    According to some news reports, the PS3 did outsell the 360 in January, which was the time when Warner Bros. went on the Blu-Ray side. However, I wouldn't base it just on that. As a PS3 owner, I'm very surprised by its quality as a Blu-Ray player as it functions better than some standalones and upscales DVDs better than my Toshiba 1080i upscaling DVD player. So as a gamer and movie lover, it was the way for me. I don't mean to sound biased with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    According to some news reports, the PS3 did outsell the 360 in January, which was the time when Warner Bros. went on the Blu-Ray side. However, I wouldn't base it just on that. As a PS3 owner, I'm very surprised by its quality as a Blu-Ray player as it functions better than some standalones and upscales DVDs better than my Toshiba 1080i upscaling DVD player. So as a gamer and movie lover, it was the way for me. I don't mean to sound biased with this post.
    No you're not biased, the PS3 is the best BD player right now. Its upscaling is also excellent, only slightly below the upscaling of the Toshiba HD-XA2. I would have bought the PS3 if it wasn't for the lack of an IR remote. That was a deal breaker for me because I want to use my universal remote to control everything at once. Alas, the PS3 support Bluetooth instead.

of course fans of blu-ray should rejoice. our format won the battle with HDDUD. we know the war isn't over but right now, we can celebrate this milestone.

i detect sour grapes from HDDUD fanboys. since their format has lost, they come up with all sorts of excuses about how blu-ray will be a niche market and eventually will lose out to digital downloads and SDVD and take pot shots at Sony and the PS3. if HDDUD was in Blu-ray's position, the same excuses would apply to you guys too.

You can stick to your obsolete format and settle for SDVD upconversion. But no matter how great upconversion is, they will never equal or exceed pure HD video and audio quality.
    Here's the mockery again. Sure you can rejoice, but I think it is of bad taste to mock others like that.

Beta was better than VHS and one of the reasons VHS won was because it could store more video.

This seems to be the same thing with HD DVD and Blu-Ray (though I know it's more than just that). Not only does Blu-Ray have better technology than HD DVD (think Thor got them mixed up on this one), but it's got much bigger storage space.

I would love to have 20 Blu-Ray discs (not just talking about DVD movies here) to replace my 1 TB of 250 standard DVD discs. I have so many files (and constantly adding to them) that I love to be put in as little physical space as possible. That's why the next time I buy a laptop (in about 6 months), I must have it with a Blu-Ray re-writable drive on it.

I'm really tempted to go out and buy a PS3 now... Or, I'll just wait again for the price to drop in the near future (if that's possible).
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    Beta was better than VHS and one of the reasons VHS won was because it could store more video.

This seems to be the same thing with HD DVD and Blu-Ray (though I know it's more than just that). Not only does Blu-Ray have better technology than HD DVD (think Thor got them mixed up on this one), but it's got much bigger storage space.

I would love to have 20 Blu-Ray discs (not just talking about DVD movies here) to replace my 1 TB of 250 standard DVD discs. I have so many files (and constantly adding to them) that I love to be put in as little physical space as possible. That's why the next time I buy a laptop (in about 6 months), I must have it with a Blu-Ray re-writable drive on it.

I'm really tempted to go out and buy a PS3 now... Or, I'll just wait again for the price to drop in the near future (if that's possible).
    Can you tell me why Blu-ray have better technology?

Currently Blu-ray do have larger storage but HD was working on a new disc that will have the equalivent if not more storage. In any case HD disc capacity is more than sufficient to hold a full length HD movie.

If you are thinking of writing or rewriting on blu-ray disc, that is not going to be available to consumers soon(especially HD is dead and Sony will not make it easy for people to copy movies and such).

This clip gives you a good opinion of both formats.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GhSs...eature=related

Currently Blu-ray do have larger storage but HD was working on a new disc that will have the equalivent if not more storage. In any case HD disc capacity is more than sufficient to hold a full length HD movie.

If you are thinking of writing or rewriting on blu-ray disc, that is not going to be available to consumers soon(especially HD is dead and Sony will not make it easy for people to copy movies and such).

This clip gives you a good opinion of both formats.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GhSs...eature=related
    Blu-Ray has the hard-coating technology, not HD DVD. But, to be honest, I just heard from sources that Blu-Ray had better technology so I could be totally off cause what you hear is not always right. I've seen movies on Blu-Ray discs and on HD DVD discs and from my personal opinion, Blu-Ray looks better to me.

Anyway, I don't buy movies on discs and the main reason for this is something you stated in another post. I buy discs for one reason and one reason only. Storage! Blu-Ray writable discs might not be available at retail stores yet, but you can get them on E-bay easily. However, it's quite expensive and one of the reasons why I never invested in a blu-ray drive laptop yet. As for HD coming up with discs that would have equaled or exceed Blu-Ray's storage capacity, I guess that doesn't matter now. Btw, there are lots of laptops with Blu-Ray writable drives out on the market.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    Blu-Ray has the hard-coating technology, not HD DVD. But, to be honest, I just heard from sources that Blu-Ray had better technology so I could be totally off cause what you hear is not always right. I've seen movies on Blu-Ray discs and on HD DVD discs and from my personal opinion, Blu-Ray looks better to me.

Anyway, I don't buy movies on discs and the main reason for this is something you stated in another post. I buy discs for one reason and one reason only. Storage! Blu-Ray writable discs might not be available at retail stores yet, but you can get them on E-bay easily. However, it's quite expensive and one of the reasons why I never invested in a blu-ray drive laptop yet. As for HD coming up with discs that would have equaled or exceed Blu-Ray's storage capacity, I guess that doesn't matter now. Btw, there are lots of laptops with Blu-Ray writable drives out on the market.
    All things equal, HD DVD and Blu-ray have the same picture quality. You can only compare same source material whilst it is unfair to compare with different movies. From the get-go though, Blu-ray had better specs. BD had more storage and is capable of higher bit-rate. The hard-coating is a necessity for BD only because the data is much closer to the surface. HD DVD was like DVD and didn't need hard-coating. To be honest though, I found HD DVD to be extremely sensitive; I had many rented discs not play properly. All of my purchsed HD DVDs played without problem though.

What I don't like about Blu-ray is that it has more copy-protection with BD+. More copy-protection is always a disadvantage to the consumer, but not necessarily to the pirates. When it comes to interactivity, HD DVD owns Blu-ray right now. While HD DVD could do PiP since the beginning, Blu-ray is still very buggy. Although Warner finally chose Blu-ray, for a long time, Warner's HD DVDs were better than the Blu-ray version because HD had all the goodies, whilst BD were barebones. It was clear that the interactivity aspect of Blu-ray was still very much immature. That brings the problem of profiles with Blu-ray. HD DVD was a complete format from the start; my first generation player can play all the latest discs in its entirety. That's not the case with Blu-ray. The latter format started with profile. 1.0 which players cannot play interactivity features of more recent BDs. Profile 1.1 is capable of interactivity, but does not have ethernet connection for further interactivity. HD DVD has no problem like that. Even if I normally don't watch the extra features, I think that as a consumer, knowing that my player can do everything it's supposed to do from the start is a sign of good value. The profiles debacle pisses off a lot of Blu-ray owners right now.

The profiles are the main reason many are postponing the purchase of a Blu-ray player. Even the upcoming Denon player that will cost around two grand will only be profile 1.1. Right now, the only smart purchase is the PS3. Personally, I don't want the PS3 because it doesn't support IR and it doesn't bitstream advanced audio. Other than that, it's a great deal.

Thor why don't you do yourself a favour and read up on Blu-ray and HDDVD from a credible source? Asking forum users for info tends to get opinions that are often inaccurate and bias. Read the following FAQs and go to their official websites to get the real facts and figures.

The Authoritative Blu-ray Disc (BD) FAQ
    http://www.emedialive.com/Articles/R...rticleID=11392

The Authoritative HD DVD FAQ
    http://www.emedialive.com/articles/r...rticleid=11629

BDA Official site:
    http://www.blu-raydisc.com/bluray_site.htm

HDDVD Office site:
    http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/