Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray vs HD

Default Blu-ray vs HD

Which is better?
    Assuming that you are buying a disc player, which would you choose and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor
    Which is better?
    In these types of "commercial wars", it is usually not the best one who wins, but the one with most support. In some cases the loser will completely disappear, in other cases it will have a niche market

Good samples are:
    VHS vs Betamax
    VHS vs V2000
    DVD+R vs DVD RAM
    Windows vs MacOS
    Intel chips vs Motorola chips
    CISC processor vs RISC processor

At the moment, I think that the Blu-ray platform has the upperhand, since with the release of the PS3, there is a relative cheap Blu-ray player on the market.
    More evidence is that Microsoft has still not put the HD-DVD player in their upcoming Black Xbox 360 Elite version. This only shows that even big players are hesitating.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick911
    In these types of "commercial wars", it is usually not the best one who wins, but the one with most support. In some cases the loser will completely disappear, in other cases it will have a niche market

Good samples are:
    VHS vs Betamax
    VHS vs V2000
    DVD+R vs DVD RAM
    Windows vs MacOS
    Intel chips vs Motorola chips
    CISC processor vs RISC processor

At the moment, I think that the Blu-ray platform has the upperhand, since with the release of the PS3, there is a relative cheap Blu-ray player on the market.
    More evidence is that Microsoft has still not put the HD-DVD player in their upcoming Black Xbox 360 Elite version. This only shows that even big players are hesitating.

Is there anyone here that has a Blue-ray or HD player, or watched movies on the PS3.
    I am going to buy a player but cannot decide on the format. I find the HD players are somewhat cheaper than the Blu-ray players.
    The alternative is the PS3, but if I use it to watch lots of movies, is that a good move.

Which is better?
    What's up Thor

Hmmnnn...for some reason I like HD, Not sure why. I mean they are pretty much the same thing expect that it from different companies. I guess I will go with HD because when DL clips from internet it seem they use HD nowadays, so that is my mean reason for supporting HD. I mean blu-ray is cool but...I'm just not really into it, but again that is just me.
    Last edited by Wild-Fire; 03-31-07 at 02:18 PM.
    PLA

Is there anyone here that has a Blue-ray or HD player, or watched movies on the PS3.
    I am going to buy a player but cannot decide on the format. I find the HD players are somewhat cheaper than the Blu-ray players.
    The alternative is the PS3, but if I use it to watch lots of movies, is that a good move.
    I have seen HD and Blu-ray perform in Best Buy. Tell you the true they are all clear as diamond, I don't know how clear do you want them; unless you have pairs of super eyes that can tell the difference.. Plus all their movies are more $$ then DVDs, but you can interact with the movies when it is playing. . I mean if you are going for the games then get PS3, since it can do 2 things.

I would just wait until the price drop, just like dvd players. Unless you are rich and don't really care about the price.
    Last edited by Wild-Fire; 03-31-07 at 02:23 PM.
    PLA

kind of the same....just from different groups of companies....

Hey Thor, do you actually read this threat????

I don't think you even need to buy any of these players. LG has just released a dual player that can play both HD and Blu-ray. So if i were you just get LG player instead since it can play both media. But 1st you need a LCD TV or better to see the affect of HD.
    PLA

I have a PS3 and have watched Blu-Ray, the thing thing is my HDTV only goes up to 1080i so I haven't seen it in all its' 1080p glory. But still the quality was amazing; it was like when DVD first came out and you compare it to VHS.

I haven't seen anything in HD-DVD yet, but from what I can recall the Blu-ray disc can hold a lot more data. Plus, everytime I go rent movies, the Blu-Ray collection is twice the size of HD-DVD.
    After Hours - Velvet Underground

Quote Originally Posted by Azn Dude
    I have a PS3 and have watched Blu-Ray, the thing thing is my HDTV only goes up to 1080i so I haven't seen it in all its' 1080p glory. But still the quality was amazing; it was like when DVD first came out and you compare it to VHS.

I haven't seen anything in HD-DVD yet, but from what I can recall the Blu-ray disc can hold a lot more data. Plus, everytime I go rent movies, the Blu-Ray collection is twice the size of HD-DVD.
    I remembered, there is a company combined both HD-dvd and Blue-ray together. One side is HD-DVD and the other Blue-ray, which helps anyone who is concerned HD-dvd is rolling out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild-Fire
    Hey Thor, do you actually read this threat????

I don't think you even need to buy any of these players. LG has just released a dual player that can play both HD and Blu-ray. So if i were you just get LG player instead since it can play both media. But 1st you need a LCD TV or better to see the affect of HD.
    Thanks Wild,
    I do read the threads at this forum regularly. Because I hate writing, I post rarely.

I know about the LG dual format player, unfortunately it is priced at $1500.00.
    That is way too much.
    I have a 1080i 55 inch Sony LCD projection and am planning to pick up a 1080p sometime soon. I have been wanting a Blu-ray or HD player since they were introduced but was waiting for the price to come down.
    Unfortunately I have not seen much of a price shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Azn Dude

Hi Azn,

Do you use your PS3 for Blu-ray movies often?
    I was told that using the PS#3 player alot can damage the player, I am not sure how true that is.
    I have seen HD movies played at BB and FS, and they were mostly on 1080P tv's. Yes, the quality is really amazing.
    How is quality on the 1080i compared to the 1080p?
    Last edited by Thor; 04-03-07 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander
    I remembered, there is a company combined both HD-dvd and Blue-ray together. One side is HD-DVD and the other Blue-ray, which helps anyone who is concerned HD-dvd is rolling out.
    That is true, and that is the LG player I referred to earlier.

I also read about this dual LG player, the problem is that it is not 100% blu ray compatible. There was something with the menus and titles that is not supported. Therefore it will not have the blu ray sticker

Will they still be using the typical DVDs? I really hope so because if not, what are we going to do with all of our DVD movies and stuff? I used to have a whole collection of Betamax tapes, but since VHS won it over... It is now gone forever. I had to throw away all of my Betamax tapes and the Betamax VCR.

How much better are the Blu Ray and HD DVD compared to the normal DVD?
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Hi Azn,

Do you use your PS3 for Blu-ray movies often?
    I was told that using the PS#3 player alot can damage the player, I am not sure how true that is.
    I have seen HD movies played at BB and FS, and they were mostly on 1080P tv's. Yes, the quality is really amazing.
    How is quality on the 1080i compared to the 1080p?
    I do use it often and I heard rumors about the PS3 damaging the player but it hasn't haven't to me yet. It happen more often to the earlier PS3 models.

I honestly can't tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p unless you pause it. When you pause and zoom you can see that 1080i is a bit more pixelated but overall I don't think many people can tell the difference visually though.
    1080p also appears smoother for fast moving scenes.
    After Hours - Velvet Underground

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Will they still be using the typical DVDs? I really hope so because if not, what are we going to do with all of our DVD movies and stuff? I used to have a whole collection of Betamax tapes, but since VHS won it over... It is now gone forever. I had to throw away all of my Betamax tapes and the Betamax VCR.

How much better are the Blu Ray and HD DVD compared to the normal DVD?
    The HD DVD players can also play regular DVDs. The signals are also upconverted to "HD" output, 480p, 720p or 1080i and you need a HDMI cable for that. I am not sure if Blu-ray players will do the same.
    I have a Samsung unconverting home theatre system. Even when watching older DVDs, the pictures come out quite good, but not anywhere near true HD at 1080p. There were also a bunch of movies reformated in HD(Blackhawk Down is one of them). I thought they were very good for normal DVDs
    A standing alone unconverting DVD player is about $100.00 take and give, depending on the brand.

Thanks for the info Thor! By the way, how much are HD DVD players?? I heard they are still really expensive since they are new to the technology world...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Thanks for the info Thor! By the way, how much are HD DVD players?? I heard they are still really expensive since they are new to the technology world...
    The prices depends on where you live.
    In Toronto I have seen HD players going for as low as $500.00 and Blu-ray players for $750.00, a dual format player for $1500.00.

Can the posters from other locations post prices in their cities.

Do not buy the dual format LG that plays HD DVD and Blu-Ray, it cannot display the menu with the HD DVD.

I hear the Sony Blu-Ray can display DVD's to 1080p, but I have yet to see a test.

The prices depends on where you live.
    In Toronto I have seen HD players going for as low as $500.00 and Blu-ray players for $750.00, a dual format player for $1500.00.

Can the posters from other locations post prices in their cities.

in the US....Samsung Bluray player around $800 to $1,000.....