Thread: Asian vs. American series

Default Asian vs. American series

How come all Asian series, especially Taiwanese ones, have massive "promotion campaigns"whereas the American ones don't? You never hear about the cast for Grey's Anatomy setting up a promotions events in some mall in New York and signing autographys, whereas these things are quite common in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Mainland (not sure about Japan or Korea but I woul assume so too). But it seems that this genre is mostly for the 'Idol' type series, because you never really see Chen Dao Ming or Tony Leung setting up these type of events.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    How come all Asian series, especially Taiwanese ones, have massive "promotion campaigns"whereas the American ones don't? You never hear about the cast for Grey's Anatomy setting up a promotions events in some mall in New York and signing autographys, whereas these things are quite common in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Mainland (not sure about Japan or Korea but I woul assume so too). But it seems that this genre is mostly for the 'Idol' type series, because you never really see Chen Dao Ming or Tony Leung setting up these type of events.
    prolly cos they don't need to and taiwanese series are often one-off thing unlike american ones which are continuous with the lots of season.. thus taiwanese casts have more free time whereas american casts needs to be constantly shooting.. and I rmbr Tony Leung did for infernal affairs. He was in M'sia with Andy Lau i rmbr..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

i don't watch much american series, but i think their CSI (anything that has to do with investigating) shows are much better than the asian ones. their stories are much more mysterious and exciting. but the romance and drama-like series are not as good as asian. well...i guess i like asian because of the culture more. and i actually understand it.

the only biggest difference i could see from asian series and american series is the kissing and romance thingy. i switched from watching american series to asian because of this. but for some reason, i noticed that asian series started to become more like western series now. however, they still make the relationship scenes look more serious and a bigger deal than american. if they keep going further on this, i think i have to go back and watch cartoons. =D jus kidding

Well, in the US, there are people who does watch tv series. However, people are not so serious tv watchers because Americans tend toward the movie selections, unlike Asian viewers who watch alot of tv series. This does not mean all Asians watch tv series just in general. In life, just enjoy what is happening and do others things besides watching tv series. At most people would have maybe 3-4 favorite American tv series.

I used to watch a lot of Chinese (mainly TVB) shows as I grew up, and starting less TVB but more China shows toward 2000...I don't watch that many of them now.

I actually hate that there is so much emphasizes on romance/love triangle on the Chinese shows. I don't mind it if it's a show about romance, but when they make love triangles into a show about policeman or fireman or whatever, I lose interest.

it is true that American shows don't have too much of that...which is great. I wouldn't mind if it's a mix of the 2 styles...

Sometimes I can't stand Western soaps like Days of Our Lives because they can go on for ten years and it would still be about the same things. On the other hands, I am beginning to hate Taiwanese and Chinese series because of there were so many bad acting, bad characterisations and bad plots. American series give me more insight to the characters and the themes of the series.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

who watches American soaps? lol

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    You never hear about the cast for Grey's Anatomy setting up a promotions events in some mall in New York and signing autographys
    lol I don't know about Grey's Anatomy, but I don't think your comparison is valid. You live in Canada, right? The Degrassi cast goes around to malls and signs autographs all the time. They do promo events too. I think the difference is the way they are broadcast. Me personally, I prefer the once a week for American series. More suspense, and it means I can't procrastinate for more than one hour at a time. Unless I get my hands on a full season of Dawson's Creek. Then I'm screwed.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

But that's more like the exception, not the norm. Which other drama does that? I'm talking about AMERICAN series, not Canadian ones. You never see the cast of Friends, Will and Grace, Grey's Anatomy, House, etc etc...go do promos.
    Last edited by yearning; 04-22-07 at 08:35 PM.

because they're so good they dont need to make promos and ads and stuff
    and plus they're longer.. isnt greys anatomy in its third or fourth season already?

I am a tv/movie-addict and I love all tv series from all over the world i.e. american, british, spanish speaking like mexico, colombia, chinese, japanese, korean, indonesia, india and many more. As long as the dramas are good enough for me to watch, I'll watch them whenever I can and also whenever they are on malaysian tv

Even though, I watch all but my preference will always be american tv series, maybe because I grew up watching them like for as long as I can remember.
    be happy

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa
    because they're so good they dont need to make promos and ads and stuff
    and plus they're longer.. isnt greys anatomy in its third or fourth season already?

Grey's anatomy is only in it's 3rd season and currently one of MY favorite American tv series
    Last edited by aiza11; 04-24-07 at 09:03 AM.
    be happy

I like Asian shows as in more of the ancient series and horror movies I like asian horror for the storyline but in terms of gothic and suspense,I prefer American shows eg.Saw .Aaaaargh It will really be hard if I was to make a choice between these 2 selections as my pick between the two is very random One thing I can be sure is that I don't watch American drama serials at all.So it's bound to be movies for American.Asian I watch a mix.

Quote Originally Posted by aiza11
    Grey's anatomy is only in it's 3rd season and currently one of the favorite American tv series
    yea me too omgosh cant get enough of it lol
    yea and american dramas/tv series arent all about love/ people dying/ fantasy/ ancient times stuff. its stuff that is modern and kinda in the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa
    yea me too omgosh cant get enough of it lol
    yea and american dramas/tv series arent all about love/ people dying/ fantasy/ ancient times stuff. its stuff that is modern and kinda in the reality.
    yeah me too..can't wait for this coming thursday episode where Addison is going to LA (new spin off). I love her character more than I love Meredith hehe I am definitely gonna watch the spin off too the moment it airs on ABC.
    be happy

Quote Originally Posted by bigben85 View Post
    I actually hate that there is so much emphasizes on romance/love triangle on the Chinese shows. I don't mind it if it's a show about romance, but when they make love triangles into a show about policeman or fireman or whatever, I lose interest.
    i agree! almost all asian series are about love triangles...example, how this guy likes this girl but she totally ignores him and she likes this other cool guy blah blah... america shows are better and more entertaining in a sense that they do not have much of these and even if they do, it's not for the entire drama. america shows are more entetaining and more mysterious in a sense and their love scenes are more daring than asian ones which are more cheesy..

Quote Originally Posted by *aLySsA4eVa* View Post
    i agree! almost all asian series are about love triangles...example, how this guy likes this girl but she totally ignores him and she likes this other cool guy blah blah... america shows are better and more entertaining in a sense that they do not have much of these and even if they do, it's not for the entire drama. america shows are more entetaining and more mysterious in a sense and their love scenes are more daring than asian ones which are more cheesy..
    probably not ALL asian series, but a few famous indian, korean, taiwan and japanese dramas. a lot of other series and dramas that i've watched from hong kong, china, taiwan and korea did not use the love triangle theme.

i think a more suitable categorization to east asian series is the theme centers on a few particular families. and as each episodes unfold, all the screens and perceptions are shown to reveal more of the characters building and background. each episode is connected closely with one major story ends only when the series end.

in american series, the episodes are connected loosely, and each episode has their own story lay with a few substories that shows the characters building. because of this, american series can drag for a few seasons because along the way, a lot of time were wasted on some unconnected stories.

I personally like Asian series better because their episodes are well connected and the story will be ended after many episodes. At least you know the ending of each of the character. After that series end, I can move on with different series. On the other hand, american series drag on for years and their episodes aren't connected at all. It is like watching a new show everytime. Of course, it is not the case that I like all asians series. So far, I like TVB the best, then ATV, then China. I hate both Taiwanese and korean. I haven't seen any Japanese...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg')
    Last edited by PeterBanh; 05-09-07 at 01:31 AM.
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

err..'cause it cost alot for the actors/actresses to go out of their schedule to do promos?
    well, to think of it, it kinda makes sense i mean..having a singer perform at a party for not even half an hour can cost up to $40k+
    so i'm sure they've got better things to do. plus, i doubt they need to do promos neways
    unless..if they're getting paid to do it?
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.