Thread: Robbie Schremp

Default Robbie Schremp

After injuries to Sykora and Horcoff, the Edmonton Oilers have finally called up junior phenom Robbie Schremp. I've been waiting to see this guy play in the NHL for a long time....and the exhibition games at the start of the season doesn't count. For those who don't know who Schremp is, here's a clip of introduction.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IwovbIyPYJk

Quote Originally Posted by wang23
    After injuries to Sykora and Horcoff, the Edmonton Oilers have finally called up junior phenom Robbie Schremp. I've been waiting to see this guy play in the NHL for a long time....and the exhibition games at the start of the season doesn't count. For those who don't know who Schremp is, here's a clip of introduction.

I wouldn't call Robbie Schremp a phenom. Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux were phenoms. I'd also say that Sidney Crosby is a phenom, but Robbie Schremp? I think not.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

The first move was pretty sweet, but harsh illegal.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I live near London, so I saw him play for London Knights. He has potential to be 30+ goal scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    I wouldn't call Robbie Schremp a phenom. Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux were phenoms. I'd also say that Sidney Crosby is a phenom, but Robbie Schremp? I think not.
    Let me rephrase that and add in the words "in my opinion." I don't think I referred to Robbie as phenom, but rather "junior" phenom...as in a phenom when he was playing as a junior league player.

In my opinion, he can fit the category as a junior phenom. He had incredible stats that were comparable to those of Crosby's and he's only a year older. In Crosby's last year with Rimouski his numbers looked like this.
    GP G A PTS PIM
    2004-2005 Rimouski QMJHL 62 66 102 168 84
    2004-2005 Canada WJC-A 6 6 3 9 4
    2004-2005 Rimouski M-Cup 5 6 5 11 6

Here's Robbie's last year's numbers.

2005-06 London Knights OHL 57 57 88 145 74
    Playoffs 19 10 37 47 35

Crosby was able to accomplish amazing things at a younger age. I'm not trying to say Robbie's as good as Crosby as he clearly isn't and is no where even close. But based on junior stats, I think in my own opinion I can classify him as a junior phenom when he played in the OHL. Junior phenoms doesn't necessarily translate into instant success in the pros. Look at JJ Redick from Duke, no one can argue how great he was for the Blue Devils, but he can hardly get his rear end off the Orlando bench...a team that doesn't even have a star point guard and relies on Jameer Nelson for most of the duties at the one spot. Jameer Nelson will likely be a backup point guard in 90% of the teams in the NBA. In football, who can forget about Eric Crouch? Way to go Argos! There's no need to get Casey Printers when you guys can get Heisman Crouch.
    Last edited by wang23; 04-06-07 at 03:53 AM.

Still, there must be something really wrong with him since he got drafted pretty low considering his stats and hype and he never was able to crack the US junior team.

Still, there must be something really wrong with him since he got drafted pretty low considering his stats and hype and he never was able to crack the US junior team.
    From what I heard he struggles defensively and has attitude problems. He was drafted in 04-05 when his stats weren't as eyepopping.

62 GP, 41 G, 49 A, 90 PTS

It wasn't until 05-06 did he light it up for 145 points in just 57 games to become the leading scorer in the OHL. If he was to be drafted that year, I'm sure he'd be a lot higher than what he was, 25th overall. I think even GMs make mistakes. Scouts don't always do their jobs right or else we won't have Spurgeon Wynn drafted ahead of Tom Brady in 2000 in the sixth round.

According to Wikipedia, Schremp played for the US junior team in 04-05 and 05-06.

Credit Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Schremp

From what I heard he struggles defensively and has attitude problems. He was drafted in 04-05 when his stats weren't as eyepopping.

62 GP, 41 G, 49 A, 90 PTS

It wasn't until 05-06 did he light it up for 145 points in just 57 games to become the leading scorer in the OHL. If he was to be drafted that year, I'm sure he'd be a lot higher than what he was, 25th overall. I think even GMs make mistakes. Scouts don't always do their jobs right or else we won't have Spurgeon Wynn drafted ahead of Tom Brady in 2000 in the sixth round.

According to Wikipedia, Schremp played for the US junior team in 04-05 and 05-06.

Credit Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Schremp
    So he played at the WJC? I think I remember it now, well kind of. You see, I watch that tournament every year, no exception and for me to not remember a player as hyped as Schremp, that means he must have been pretty invisible.

I remember that 2004 WJC quite well because Canada lost to the States with an extremely painful loss crippled with bad luck. Yet, I hardly remember Schremp whatsoever. Needless to say, he didn't make an impression on me. I personally don't think that he'll be that good of a player.

I personally don't think that he'll be that good of a player.
    Fair enough. I remember I thought LeBron James was going to be a bust too. Turns out he was a beast in the making, but I was still entitled to my own opinion.

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

robbie schremp should be a lacrosse player wif those moves, but he cant do those in a hockey game, even in shootout cuz its over the net.
    he does have mad puck skill, but wether he can translate dat skill into result in the nhl level is still uncertain. there is a reason he was picked so low, i dont think he'll be a superstar in the league, but he should be a decent 2nd line goal scorer.