Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on 06-07 NBA All NBA team?

Quote Originally Posted by The_One
    Oh no doubt Nash makes his team better. Just look at when Nash is either out of the lineup or on the bench. The Suns are just lost without him.

Kobe has to make his shots cause there is no one else. Odom and Co are weak. While Agent Zero also has Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler. But yes as the point man Arenas is shit.
    Agent Zero is great, I agree. But I loved how he boasted that he'd light up Portland for 100 points because Nate cut him. Then he changed his mind and said 50 points. But at the end... I think he should feel embarassed that he lost both games to Portland and shot a miserable percentage. Hint, never call out a team three weeks before playing them.

LOL, had to take some shots at Gilbert. He killed my fg% and TO category, the only reasons why I'm half a point behind the first place guy in my pool. And now I have to release him because he's out for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z
    are you smoking something? edge out = win by a small margin. before the injury, yao was an mvp candidate, capable of scoring 30+ points and grabbing 10+ rebounds every night. he still can do that but not every game. on the other hand, shaq might score 20 points on a good night. so, it is not even close if it were just between yao and shaq.

kobe is the mvp this year.
    Edged or crushed, blow out...doesn't matter. I agree that Yao's been much more impressive than Shaq numbers wise and should be more worthy of being on the NBA First Team. But you have to give Shaq some credit for carrying the team while Wade's out with an injury. Many had already written off Miami's chances of getting in the playoffs, but the Diesel carried the team to a 16-7 record since Wade was injured. That's a better winning percentage than when Wade played.

As for Kobe being the MVP over Nash and Nowitzki. He probably is the MVP in your books but that definitely won't be the case for the NBA. In one season, he had 9 consecutive games of 40 or more and he still didn't get the award. Four games of 50 or more is impressive, but look at the Lakers record. They're barely making the playoffs and when Odom was out with an injury, the Lakers went on a seven game losing streak making it a career high for Phil Jackson. They've even lost 2 out of 4 to the worst team in the NBA, the Memphis Grizzlies, who have only won 19 games the whole season.

In my opinion Nash should get the honor this year wth career highs all over. As a point guard to shoot 53.4% from the field is simply amazing. He's also shooting 46.8% from 3-point land. Averaging 11.5 assists is also a career high, slightly better than his season a year ago. But for the reason that Nowitzki has the best record in the NBA, his impressive numbers and some career bests, and that Nash has already won it two consecutive times, Nowitzki will likely pick up the award. In my opinion though, the Mavericks will not miss Dirk as much as the Suns would miss Nash.

Quote Originally Posted by wang23
    Edged or crushed, blow out...doesn't matter. I agree that Yao's been much more impressive than Shaq numbers wise and should be more worthy of being on the NBA First Team. But you have to give Shaq some credit for carrying the team while Wade's out with an injury. Many had already written off Miami's chances of getting in the playoffs, but the Diesel carried the team to a 16-7 record since Wade was injured. That's a better winning percentage than when Wade played.
    Miami is doing well with Shaq minus Wade right now. However, they will not be Eastern Champion this year. Most likely, it'll go to Detroit

As for Kobe being the MVP over Nash and Nowitzki. He probably is the MVP in your books but that definitely won't be the case for the NBA. In one season, he had 9 consecutive games of 40 or more and he still didn't get the award. Four games of 50 or more is impressive, but look at the Lakers record. They're barely making the playoffs and when Odom was out with an injury, the Lakers went on a seven game losing streak making it a career high for Phil Jackson. They've even lost 2 out of 4 to the worst team in the NBA, the Memphis Grizzlies, who have only won 19 games the whole season.
    Both Nash and Nowitzki are great players. They're MVP material...on a GOOD team. Kobe's numbers can go up as well if he had the same teammates as Nash &
    Dirk. Kobe passed the ball to Smush, Sasha, or any other player...BRICK! Nash's teammates are shooting at a high percentage. Bell is like 3rd in league in 3 points made. Kobe does take more last minutes shot than both Nash & Dirk. That will make his shooting percentage to go down as well. Just the starting 5 from each 3 teams, Kobe's teammate are weak compare to the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by wang23
    Edged or crushed, blow out...doesn't matter. I agree that Yao's been much more impressive than Shaq numbers wise and should be more worthy of being on the NBA First Team.

In my opinion Nash should get the honor this year wth career highs all over. As a point guard to shoot 53.4% from the field is simply amazing. He's also shooting 46.8% from 3-point land. Averaging 11.5 assists is also a career high, slightly better than his season a year ago. But for the reason that Nowitzki has the best record in the NBA, his impressive numbers and some career bests, and that Nash has already won it two consecutive times, Nowitzki will likely pick up the award. In my opinion though, the Mavericks will not miss Dirk as much as the Suns would miss Nash.
    it does matter. people like you still think shaq is this great dominant player while yao is just a good player but not as good as shaq.

it is ludicrous that you think nash is the mvp because this is his best season. kobe carries the lakers into the playoffs even though key players like odom and walton missed many games. teams gear up to stop kobe, like teams used to do to jordan. if he doesn't have a good game, his team loses. let's not forget, the lakers is in the western conference.

if you want to give the mvp to the player on the best team, kobe will never win it.

(it is ludicrous that you think nash is the mvp because this is his best season. kobe carries the lakers into the playoffs even though key players like odom and walton missed many games. teams gear up to stop kobe, like teams used to do to jordan. if he doesn't have a good game, his team loses. let's not forget, the lakers is in the western conference. )

Just some comments....Kobe will never win the MVP award if his team does not win 52-55+ games. Call it biased or unfair, thats just the way it is. Generally if you look at the MVP's of the last 20 years or so, they may not necessarily be the best team in the league rec wise, but they were contenders with very good records.

I think most people people will not argue that Kobe is proboally the most talented player in the L right now. He is kind of on the same standing that Mayweather has in boxing, where he seems to be head and shoulders above his peers. But that does not change the fact that the Lakers are a mediocre team, with little to no chance of winning a title. And this is coming from a Laker fan. IMHO, had the Lakers won 52+ games the last year Kobe would have been the MVP hands down.

(it is ludicrous that you think nash is the mvp because this is his best season.)

Because of the way Phoenix's offense(pretty much their game strategy=P) is run the suns can't win without him period. They were still a 60 games winning team without amare, but without Nash their rec is trash. From the top of my head I think they won something like 1-7 games at one point when Nash was out last year, and they went on crap streak without nash this year (don't remember the actual number but they were like 1or2 wins and 5 loses). Point is, Nash is just as crucial to the suns, if not more important as Kobe is to the Lakers, but the Suns are an elite team while the Lakers are not.

I also would not be surprised if Dirk won it this year simply because the Mavs are owning the league this year.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Re: Felix
    (It might go to Ben Wallace for the center position. Mehmet Okur is another candidate. Those are the two centers I think who have played enough games in order to qualify and have had a good year. )

I doubt Ben will be more anything more than 3rd team this year. His career averages are down from last couple of year, and it seems that he was somewhat of an overrated defender. IMO, he was a much better team defender with wallace having his back not to mention all those long armed guards. I won't deny that he(as well as skiles) have made Chicago a very tough defensive team though.

Okur is playing very well this year, but his numbers are comparable if not somewhat weaker than O'neals. I doubt that the voters(broadcasters,writers ect) would pick him over the bigger names(O'neal,ming). Although I don't doubt that he may be more deserving based on duribility and team rec.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z
    it does matter. people like you still think shaq is this great dominant player while yao is just a good player but not as good as shaq.

it is ludicrous that you think nash is the mvp because this is his best season. kobe carries the lakers into the playoffs even though key players like odom and walton missed many games. teams gear up to stop kobe, like teams used to do to jordan. if he doesn't have a good game, his team loses. let's not forget, the lakers is in the western conference.

if you want to give the mvp to the player on the best team, kobe will never win it.
    To be honest, starting from last year I've always thought Yao was the better player than Shaq.

Steve Nash was the MVP for two seasons in a row. His numbers are up from both seasons in which he captured the award. If his previous numbers were capable of bringing him the MVP, I don't see how believing that he should win it again because his numbers this season are better than his MVP years is ludicrous? But of course, stats are not the only determinants. It's quite obvious the importance Nash is to the Suns.

In 2003-04, the Suns had players such as Stephon Marbury, Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson, a burnt out Penny Hardaway, Antonio McDyess and Leandro Barbosa. However, the team finished with a disappointing 29-53 (.354) record, the third-worst in franchise history. Along came Steve Nash next season and they improved their record by 33 games to 62-20 (.756), good for third greatest turnaround in NBA history. Nash also helped the Suns to a league-best 110.4 points per game, up 16.2 points from last season’s 94.2 scoring average. It ranked as the largest increase in team scoring from one season to the next.

In the Suns first season with Nash, they averaged 47.8% in FG%, 39.3% 3PT%, 23.5 assists per game and 110.4 points per game. After 37 games, they seemed unstoppable with a 31-6 record. In came an injury and out goes Nash for three games. After being 31-6, the Suns go on a three game losing streak to become 31-9 with Nash on the sidelines. They lost to Washington, Detroit and Memphis. In those games, the Suns only shot 42.6, 35.4 and 33.3 in FG% compared to their season average of 47.8%. For 3 point % they dropped to 33.3, 17.6 and 26.3% in those three games compared to a season average of 39.3%. Assists wise they had 13, 11 and 16 respectively compared to their 23.5 average. In those games, the Suns were only capable of putting up 103, 80 and 79 points, a dramatic drop from 110.4 points per game. It's also interesting to point out that Stoudemire averaged 55% in FG but only shot 19 of 56 for 34% in those games. I don't think I have to point out how important Nash is to the team.

I'm not trying to say Kobe's not MVP calibre as he clearly is. He brought a mediocre team to the playoffs with key injuries to Odom and Walton(honestly don't think he's that good). Very impressive indeed. The Lakers were 13-16 with Odom out on injuries which is not bad. Nash also had to overcome a huge obstacle last season when their biggest offensive threat and inside presence went out with an injury for the whole season. Many predicted the Suns to plummet to near bottom because Stoudemire gave so much to the Suns in terms of inside scoring and easy buckets. But Nash was still able to pull out a 54-28 record, good enough for third in the tough West and fourth in the NBA. He was responsible for making career years out of Bell, Barbosa and Diaw. It's true that Kobe doesn't have the luxury of having good players like Nash does, but what Nash did was still impressive. In the 04-05 season, the Suns had good players too but because Nash was not onboard yet, they were miserable. Even this year saw Nash miss six games in which the Suns only went 2 and 4, including a loss to Atlanta at home. To make more emphasism on it, that's a 33.3% winning percentage only, even with the good players the Suns have.

No I don't necessarily want the best player on the team with the best record to win the MVP. I want someone who their team can't function without, can carry his team, make them a better group and also shows performance with their record as indication. The Lakers record indicate that they're 3-2 without Kobe this season including a win over the Suns without him. But that does even for a minute put any doubts in my mind on how important he's to the Lakers. Both guys show the my MVP qualities, but I think Nash is more so. However, I do think Nowitzki will get the award this year based on the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. Nash is a close runner up followed by Kobe. But the chance of #24 winning it this year is next to none in my opinion. It's kind of unfair, but that's just the way the NBA operates. Not trying to offend anyone, just sharing my $0.02.
    Last edited by wang23; 04-10-07 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    Miami is doing well with Shaq minus Wade right now. However, they will not be Eastern Champion this year. Most likely, it'll go to Detroit
    I'm actually hoping the Raptors could somehow pull an upset. But just can't see them beating the Pistons at the Palace.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    Both Nash and Nowitzki are great players. They're MVP material...on a GOOD team. Kobe's numbers can go up as well if he had the same teammates as Nash &
    Dirk. Kobe passed the ball to Smush, Sasha, or any other player...BRICK! Nash's teammates are shooting at a high percentage. Bell is like 3rd in league in 3 points made. Kobe does take more last minutes shot than both Nash & Dirk. That will make his shooting percentage to go down as well. Just the starting 5 from each 3 teams, Kobe's teammate are weak compare to the other team.

I agree Kobe's numbers would go up with better teammates to back him up. It's also true Kobe gets guarded tougher than Nash and often takes low percentage shots. With the number of shots Kobe takes though, I don't think his last minute shots will have a huge effect on his percentage. But nonetheless I think that's a very valid point and definitely worth noting. I'd also like to point out that it could be possible that guys like Bell, Barbosa, Stoudemire and Marion are shooting stellar percentages because of Nash's ability to create easy and wide open shots for them. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that without Nash, these guys' percentages would definitely be lower than what they are right now.

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing
    (it is ludicrous that you think nash is the mvp because this is his best season. kobe carries the lakers into the playoffs even though key players like odom and walton missed many games. teams gear up to stop kobe, like teams used to do to jordan. if he doesn't have a good game, his team loses. let's not forget, the lakers is in the western conference. )

Just some comments....Kobe will never win the MVP award if his team does not win 52-55+ games. Call it biased or unfair, thats just the way it is. Generally if you look at the MVP's of the last 20 years or so, they may not necessarily be the best team in the league rec wise, but they were contenders with very good records.

I think most people people will not argue that Kobe is proboally the most talented player in the L right now. He is kind of on the same standing that Mayweather has in boxing, where he seems to be head and shoulders above his peers. But that does not change the fact that the Lakers are a mediocre team, with little to no chance of winning a title. And this is coming from a Laker fan. IMHO, had the Lakers won 52+ games the last year Kobe would have been the MVP hands down.

(it is ludicrous that you think nash is the mvp because this is his best season.)

Because of the way Phoenix's offense(pretty much their game strategy=P) is run the suns can't win without him period. They were still a 60 games winning team without amare, but without Nash their rec is trash. From the top of my head I think they won something like 1-7 games at one point when Nash was out last year, and they went on crap streak without nash this year (don't remember the actual number but they were like 1or2 wins and 5 loses). Point is, Nash is just as crucial to the suns, if not more important as Kobe is to the Lakers, but the Suns are an elite team while the Lakers are not.

I also would not be surprised if Dirk won it this year simply because the Mavs are owning the league this year.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself and love the objective opinions.