Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Rinsing Flowers and Purifying Swords | The Spirit of the Sword | Nicholas&Gillian

If I recall correctly... Yang Rui acted as Lu Wu Shuang in ZJZ's Shen Diao Xia Lu, as well as Zhong Ling in Tian Long Ba Bu.

I felt that the chemistry between Nicholas and Gillian was fine. They certainly looked good together! Having said that, I really don't think that they are the main couple - so the quality of their on-screen interaction didn't quite matter to me. Despite the fact that Nicholas and Gillian feature very prominently on the cover of my DVD boxset, it seems to me that Ben Yue and Bao Yu are the real stars of the show... While Da Zhang's fanatical search for swords drives the plot, the story is largely Bao Yu's adventure, and his growth from playful and ignorant boy to mature swordsman.

(And yes, the middle episodes were so draggy!)

This series was very draggy. The music was a complete bore. The only thing interesting were the samurai fight scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    This series was very draggy. The music was a complete bore. The only thing interesting were the samurai fight scenes.
    I watched until episode 10, where Nic fought with the Wu Dang school master and won. I don't know...something about Nic Tse and the way this series was done wasn't really appealing to me. I know eventually Nic will find out that his mother is still alive and under a different identity.

I did not feel any compulsion to continue or finish this series, sadly. Nic isn't main lead material (well according to me he isn't).

Sorry Qiao Zhen Yu, even your presence did not work. I liked you better in Xue Hua Nu Shen Long.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I watched until episode 10, where Nic fought with the Wu Dang school master and won. I don't know...something about Nic Tse and the way this series was done wasn't really appealing to me. I know eventually Nic will find out that his mother is still alive and under a different identity.

I did not feel any compulsion to continue or finish this series, sadly. Nic isn't main lead material (well according to me he isn't).

Sorry Qiao Zhen Yu, even your presence did not work. I liked you better in Xue Hua Nu Shen Long.
    I wouldn't bother with the series. It's a complete bore. The only thing going for it are the fight scenes. That's it. It plain, it's not that good.

I wouldn't bother with the series. It's a complete bore. The only thing going for it are the fight scenes. That's it. It plain, it's not that good.
    I didn't think it was that bad, although I will agree that Nic Tse was not very exciting. Glowering and posing does not constitute acting. But some of the other actors were very good.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I didn't think it was that bad, although I will agree that Nic Tse was not very exciting. Glowering and posing does not constitute acting. But some of the other actors were very good.
    But don't you think the background music was really boring? They sounded like elevator music.

But don't you think the background music was really boring? They sounded like elevator music.
    Yes, and it was really repetitive. They just kept playing the same two pieces of music over and over.

Yes, and it was really repetitive. They just kept playing the same two pieces of music over and over.
    That's part of the reason why i found the series boring. Because the repetitive music matched the scenes in the serial. The serial was very draggy and the actor/actresses didn't really bring any "charm" into their roles.

I think I'm with sniffles on this one? I found parts of the series very good, but I also dismissed quite a few other parts as unnecessary extensions... On the whole, I quite liked the series. I can't quite remember what the background music pieces were like - which probably testifies to their lack of effectiveness! - but I enjoyed the opening theme. Da Zang, Zhu Er, Tuo Chen were not especially memorable main characters; Ben Yue and Bao Yu were tolerable, and had some interesting developments to their personalities and relationship. The supporting cast, I thought, was strong - Mu Lang Shen Jun, Bai San Kong, Zi Yi Hou and Bai Shui Shen Mu were portrayed well.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_written View Post
    I think I'm with sniffles on this one? I found parts of the series very good, but I also dismissed quite a few other parts as unnecessary extensions... On the whole, I quite liked the series. I can't quite remember what the background music pieces were like - which probably testifies to their lack of effectiveness! - but I enjoyed the opening theme. Da Zang, Zhu Er, Tuo Chen were not especially memorable main characters; Ben Yue and Bao Yu were tolerable, and had some interesting developments to their personalities and relationship. The supporting cast, I thought, was strong - Mu Lang Shen Jun, Bai San Kong, Zi Yi Hou and Bai Shui Shen Mu were portrayed well.
    I liked Baoyu and Benyue's story, too, although sometimes I really wanted to smack Benyue for her constant "I love you but we can never be together" whining. But I agree, the secondary characters were much more interesting than Dazang and Zhu'er, especially Zi Yihou and Bai Yanzhu.

But then I'm partial to Patrick Tam, so I like him in almost anything.

I liked Baoyu and Benyue's story, too, although sometimes I really wanted to smack Benyue for her constant "I love you but we can never be together" whining. But I agree, the secondary characters were much more interesting than Dazang and Zhu'er, especially Zi Yihou and Bai Yanzhu.

But then I'm partial to Patrick Tam, so I like him in almost anything.
    I think I know what you mean about Ben Yue... Nevertheless, I still like her more than Zhu Er, despite her whining. Ben Yue had her moment of maturity when she and Bao Yu were caught by Mu Lang Shen Jun - and she confessed to Bao Yu that he was dear to her, for all that he had done... (Or rather, all that they thought he had done with Zhu Er on their wedding night.) But nothing much happens to her after that; it's Bao Yu who continues growing, striving, and learning. Zhu Er and Da Zang barely make any progress, while Tuo Chen dissolves into a perpetual pool of glistening tears for the entire second half of the show...

I thought Patrick Tam did very well, considering that Zi Yi Hou is a complicated role to take on. I last saw, and hated, Patrick Tam as the villainous Tian Gui Nong in Xue Shan Fei Hu... How different he was there!

while Tuo Chen dissolves into a perpetual pool of glistening tears for the entire second half of the show...

I thought Patrick Tam did very well, considering that Zi Yi Hou is a complicated role to take on. I last saw, and hated, Patrick Tam as the villainous Tian Gui Nong in Xue Shan Fei Hu... How different he was there!
    LOL at the tuo chen comment. i totally agree

and the xue shan fei hu thing...i dont really think its patrick's fault, it was just a REALLY bad series overall! blame the scripwriters or something

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    and the xue shan fei hu thing...i dont really think its patrick's fault, it was just a REALLY bad series overall! blame the scripwriters or something
    Actually, I meant "hated" in a good way - I thought he was spot-on in his portrayal of Tian Gui Nong's detestable attributes...

<snip> while Tuo Chen dissolves into a perpetual pool of glistening tears for the entire second half of the show...

That description of Tuochen is perfect! I've never seen a character cry so much.

I completely agree about Patrick Tam as Tian Guinong. He was great, which is why I like him. He's good as either a villain or a hero.

Can someone tell Nicholas Tse that looking ahead with a blank expression isn't acting?

Who's he sleeping with to get to remake the same series over and over again?

Quote Originally Posted by Demitre View Post
    Can someone tell Nicholas Tse that looking ahead with a blank expression isn't acting?

Who's he sleeping with to get to remake the same series over and over again?
    LOL!!

I was describing Spirit of the Sword to a friend of mine who had seen The Handsome Siblings, and she said that Nicholas Tse played his part in that series pretty much the same way I was describing him in this one. My husband and I both started making fun of him after a while: "Oh, look, Dazang's brooding again!"

LOL!!

I was describing Spirit of the Sword to a friend of mine who had seen The Handsome Siblings, and she said that Nicholas Tse played his part in that series pretty much the same way I was describing him in this one. My husband and I both started making fun of him after a while: "Oh, look, Dazang's brooding again!"
    You know, that's what I never blamed Cecelia for Ekin. She, like us, was just confused and thought they were the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by Demitre View Post
    You know, that's what I never blamed Cecelia for Ekin. She, like us, was just confused and thought they were the same person.
    ROFL!!