Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Translators *UPDATED-Abhay*

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    This time, i interivewed IcyFox who was part of the LOCH/ROCH translation team. Unfortunately, he is a noob who thinks that Einstein is better than Bohr - when Bohr was part of the Manhanttan Project, and Einstein was not even invited.
    I couldn't reply to this earlier because of the erratic frequent 'blackouts' on this site.

Anyway, in case anyone wants to know, Einstein was not given clearance to the Manhattan Project because the FBI suspected that he had links with the Communists...

This time, i interivewed IcyFox who was part of the LOCH/ROCH translation team. Unfortunately, he is a noob who thinks that Einstein is better than Bohr - when Bohr was part of the Manhanttan Project, and Einstein was not even invited.
    May I ask what is a noob?
    "Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves."
    - Rudyard Kipling

Noob = newbie. But more derogatory (depends on context). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie
    Last edited by dewyloony123; 06-09-07 at 11:06 AM.

7) Sword God - You and PJ created that overnight sensation- how did that the two of you teamed up with that idea? Did you enjoy it?

Overnight? You know how hard we had to shout in everyones' ears?
    --originally posted by PJ :: December 21, 2006
    In order to better grasp and appreciate the evolution of SWORD GOD's fame from birth to popularization, A time line recounting the legacy of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan over the past 4 years (as PJ remembers it) is deserved. So, here it is:

Jan 10, 2003, 9:59 AM - Kenny posts a passage of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan in Martial arts comparison between DGSD era and LOCH/ROCH era

Jan 10, 2003, 11:21 AM - Laviathan explicitly mentions the name SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan, constituting PJ's first acquaintance with this lovable name.

[some time between Jan 10, 2003 and Nov 10, 2005] - CC replies to a topic stating that Xuzhu's auto-protect brushed away SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan's sword, further engaging PJ's interest in this lovable character.

Nov 11, 2005 - PJ starts the topic Ranking of DGSD heroes below 4th level, in which he intended to gauge the level of various minor characters including SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan (who was sadly mispelled as Zuo Bufan by everyone).

Jan 17, 2006 - Athena replies to previous topic, ranking SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan in the highest category below 4th level, along with Lotus Fairy Cui Luhua and Taoist Buping, thus introducing PJ to the entire Robust Trio of Unprecedented Underrated Talent.

Things were quiet for the SWORD GOD for a while, but alas came a turning point on Aug 14, 2006, the new birth of the saga of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan. PJ mentions SWORD GOD in the topic "List of incorrect estimates of kung fu levels," in which no one took notice. Then, magically, PJ begins to ponder further about SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan, and writes more thoughts in the topic, which captured the attention of CC.

Aug 18, 2006 - in the topic " Effectively using Wuxia skills in real life objectives , " PJ brings up SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan for the third time in 4 days, further capturing CC's attention. The mispelling of Zhuo Bufan's name also prompted Athena to provide the correct spelling to the wuxia community.

Aug 22, 2006, 02:24 AM - In the topic " What if Sweeper Monk received three XL28Z/XL18Z palms? , " PJ once again capitalizes on the mysteriousness of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan, which brought more awareness and mysteriousness to the character.

Aug 22, 2006, 04:32 AM - Ardor initiates the topic "SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan," officially bringing SWORD GOD into the spotlight of SPCNET.

The rest is history.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by lysil View Post
    May I ask what is a noob?
    In gaming terms, noob are often times used in a friendly manner.

No offense to IcyFox intended, really!

Han Solo
    P/s: PJ- nice recounting of the history of ZBF in this forum.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

P/s: PJ- nice recounting of the history of ZBF in this forum.
    It's amazing how often a wuxia query in Google will pull up an old SPCNET thread.

Hey, nice stuff! So when's your turn, Han Solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Encaitar View Post
    Hey, nice stuff! So when's your turn, Han Solo?
    After i interviewed all the translators in this forum first.

Plus, i feel bad about being interviewed for translating a few paragraphs only.

Han Solo
    Last edited by Han Solo; 06-13-07 at 11:14 AM. Reason: used chapters instead of paragraphs :)
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Han Solo, I think you should lead the way and be interviewed! ;-)

I must admit, after reading some of the interviews, you can further appreciate the complexity of translating. My mind still bloggings after reading some of the discussions about terms and phrases.

Well I am glad to get an insight to HYS, I must admit one of my favourite translators but then the rest all follow very closely behind..

Default BBQ ? whos house ?

such super-duper-uber-ownage-BBQ-Pawning heroes like Sweeper Monk?

My favourit charecter in the whole of woxia. Just some dude sweeping the floors of sholing.

Cant get over the way there were so many people hidding in the sholin library.

Silly monks were to busy beating up on the week to clean out there own library.

Default Rankings

You know how we rank our favourit woxia charecters.

Can we rank our favourit translators ?

I vote Jean number one and foxs strait after.
    Pocket is up there two.
    to who ever is responsible for the mess called
    heavenly sword dragon saber...
    I got a feeling theres a couple of noobs in there. ahahahahahahahaha
    I vote thos guys involved last.... LOL.

Still being last amongst such great translaters is not a big deal.

How can we rank the translators, when there have been so many good ones?

I hate to be mean, but your list leaves a lot to be desired.

You left out Lanny Lin, Moinllieon, bliss, athena, TigerWong, Meh, Yufeng, paul, junzi, fastclock, Huang Yushi, John Minford, and Rebeccah Tai who are all excellent translators and many of whom helped start the translating movement that we have today. Without their efforts, we would have very little to build on today.

I know there are more and I apologize if I left someone out who deserves credit but those are the ones I could remember off the top of my head.

To answer the question "Can we rank them?" I suppose we could, but I would have a hard time choosing. They all rank very highly in my book and deserve the utmost respect for what they do.

If I were to make special mention I would send a nod to those who started the movement the "Founding Fathers" of Wuxia translation. Without them I would still be ignorant of this world and these wonderful works.
    Last edited by Grundle; 06-14-07 at 12:49 PM.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Pocket is up there two.

That's just rude man....this is primarily and english speaking board and alot of translators arent 100 percent proficient in chinese(or english). Its difficult to translate JY's works because first of all they're long and he uses complex wording and phrasings. If you are literate at chinese at all, do your self a favor and try doing a sentence for sentence translation, then patch things up with a chinese dictionary or babel and see how far you get before giving up.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing View Post
    That's just rude man....this is primarily and english speaking board and alot of translators arent 100 percent proficient in chinese(or english). Its difficult to translate JY's works because first of all they're long and he uses complex wording and phrasings. If you are literate at chinese at all, do your self a favor and try doing a sentence for sentence translation, then patch things up with a chinese dictionary or babel and see how far you get before giving up.
    Babel Fish comes up with some hilarious translations if you try translating actor and actresses names.

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post

Pocket is up there two.

I think for someone like you to rank us translators like this is a bit degrading. I believe each and every one of us tried our very best to bring out these literary pieces to the public for free. It's not fair to say that one of the translators is better than the other one, because not all of us are professionals and not all of us can devote all of our time to translate.

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post

Pocket is up there two.

The people that you disrespected by singling out HSDS includes:
    1) Meh - who translated huge chunks of the Ruthless Sword Sentimental Swordsman (Xiao Li Fei Dao)
    2) FaQ - who started the translations of the Legend of the White Hair Demonesses
    3) Athena- who had completed the TSATE
    4) dgsd - who's even now doing the editing for LOCH
    5) huang rong - who had done a good job with her translation.

All of our translators are treasured for sacrificing their time and energy for the sake of our reading enjoyment- they often have multi-translation projects, and outside interests.

So please enjoy the translations, and stop this comparison nonsense.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

I agree.. it is impossible to rank the translators and dare I say, I am not qualified to begin to rank them since I can't even imagine myself translating a chapter as well as they do. It is like an average swordsman appreciating the exquisteness of Dugu sword skills. Each of them has brought something unique to the translations, my humble opinion lets just appreciate each of the translators! :-)

Han Solo,
    So who is next on the list to be interviewed?

Quote Originally Posted by overjoy71 View Post
    Han Solo,
    So who is next on the list to be interviewed?
    I actually would love to interview one of our translators in person as i'll currently in Malaysia and potentially Singapore for 3 weeks + (with ~ 1 week in China). If there's anyone in KL i.e. (?)Ian Liew etc who i can interview, pls give me your contact details.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control