Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yang Guo: Hero or Anti-Hero?

You Tanzhi would have been a good example of anti-hero, if he had been made the main character of DGSD.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    You Tanzhi would have been a good example of anti-hero, if he had been made the main character of DGSD.
    He would also have to have a lot of his actions changed or a lot more deeds added. If he was made a main character and had no more creditable deeds, he'll still be a lamer rather than an anti-hero.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    He would also have to have a lot of his actions changed or a lot more deeds added. If he was made a main character and had no more creditable deeds, he'll still be a lamer rather than an anti-hero.
    For main characters, aren't they either hero or anti-hero? So if You "hypothetical main character" Tanzhi isn't a hero, that automatically makes him an anti-hero, no matter what he's like.

For main characters, aren't they either hero or anti-hero? So if You "hypothetical main character" Tanzhi isn't a hero, that automatically makes him an anti-hero, no matter what he's like.
    Never thought of main characters automatically having to fall within the defined bands of hero or villian*. If I had to, I'd put YTZ as the Anti-Villian.

*After all, is this not one of JY's strong points? To create characters with more depth than pure good and bad guys.

If SWORD GOD was a main character? What would you define him as?

Somebody please correct me if I am spreading less than ideal information. If what WuxiaGem proposes is acceptable:

To me, an anti-hero in the wuxia genre should be someone who lacks the qualities that usually make one a hero

Then, anyone main character who doesn't fit the traditional qualities of a hero (i.e. lacking the qualities that usually make one a hero) would fall into the anti-hero category.

You Tanzhi as an antagonist in the actual novel would indeed be an anti-villain. But if he were made a protagonist, and the classifications include either hero or anti-hero, then in my humble opinion he would have to an anti-hero.

You Tanzhi as an antagonist in the actual novel would indeed be an anti-villain. But if he were made a protagonist, and the classifications include either hero or anti-hero, then in my humble opinion he would have to an anti-hero.
    Is this argument not somewhat circular?

If YTZ's actions were not changed, how would he be changed from an antagonist to a protagonist?

Quote Originally Posted by Humplewumps
    Never viewed YG as an anti-hero. He is a bit unconventional but not anti-hero in my book.
    Agree with you. Definitely a hero and an unconventional one.

Somebody please correct me if I am spreading less than ideal information. If what WuxiaGem proposes is acceptable:

To me, an anti-hero in the wuxia genre should be someone who lacks the qualities that usually make one a hero

Then, anyone main character who doesn't fit the traditional qualities of a hero (i.e. lacking the qualities that usually make one a hero) would fall into the anti-hero category.

I should have added, an anti-hero is the *protagonist* who lacks the qualities that usually makes one a hero. That's the literary definition, at least.

i ll say he aint a hero i mean i if i was yang guo instead of just waiting for xiao long nu 16 years i ll go and destroy the people causing war and such and those stupid officials in the government as well as the king if he s stupid. but i know there trying to make it follow history and such but yeah thats what i would ve done. and he should ve stayed and help guo jing not just think about his stupid self and his wife. thats what you call selfish love. now guo jings a real hero. i mean i love yang guo hardcore fan just hated him for that. why does all great martial artists want to seclude there stupid self and raise stupid lambs and farm? with great power comes great responsibility if you have the skills to do something its better to put it to good use you know.

He's a hero but his love for XLN is above all else which make him a lesser hero than ... say GJ.