Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Female characters in wuxia

Default Female characters in wuxia

I wanted to know more about CLX and why the first novel is like 99 chapters but its likely that people here wanted to know about:-

Your Favourite Female Character!!!

I still can't go past the combination of Su Ying, Ren YY and GX.

What about yours?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I like Cheng Yin, Xiao Zhao, RYY
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Ying-gu!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    I wanted to know more about CLX and why the first novel is like 99 chapters but its likely that people here wanted to know about:-
    What? The first book has 99 chapters?

I generally don't like female wuxia characters. The reason is not misogyny, but because pretty much all female wuxia characters are one-note personalities (even more than the men are) without much complexity.

The more interesting ones tend to be the villainous ones such as Madame Ma or Lam Sin Yee. The good ones are all such Mary Sues.

I like Li Sheng Nan from the Jade Bow Connection, at least as depicted in the 2002 tv series. She has a much more complex/interesting personality than the other female lead and even the main character.

Quote Originally Posted by Single Whip View Post
    I like Li Sheng Nan from the Jade Bow Connection, at least as depicted in the 2002 tv series. She has a much more complex/interesting personality than the other female lead and even the main character.
    I agree that she's an interesting one. Though I find her love interest super annoying.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Huo Qingtong, Chen Lingsu, Ah Zhu

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I generally don't like female wuxia characters. The reason is not misogyny, but because pretty much all female wuxia characters are one-note personalities (even more than the men are) without much complexity.
    Most wuxia characters lack the three dimension. Only main characters & villains occasionally get some character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    What? The first book has 99 chapters?
    Yup.

The first book is divided into 3 section: The desert etc, and they contains 33 chapters, 32 chapters and 28 chapters or something like that.

That's why it's really really long.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Yup.

The first book is divided into 3 section: The desert etc, and they contains 33 chapters, 32 chapters and 28 chapters or something like that.

Han Solo
    I thought they were 3 separate books/stories...

Quote Originally Posted by Single Whip View Post
    Can you tell me more about this character?

Not familiar with the name.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Guo Xiang
    Huang Rong
    Ren Ying Ying
    Su Ying
    Ding Ling Lin (was that her name? The girl with the bells in Eagles Flying in the Ninth month)
    Zhao Min

Is it just me or does Gu Long come up with a lot more interesting female characters than Jin Yong?
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Yup.

Han Solo
    Haha, that's the first 3 stories Meh summarised. Most people considered this 3 as separate books. Even though it's 99 chapters, its 1 chapter is a lot shorter than the regular JY novel chapter. So, I don't think it's really that long. I bet it's shorter than 'Tian Long Ba Bu' on a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I agree that she's an interesting one. Though I find her love interest super annoying.
    His ATV counterpart sounds more interesting. Don't know which version is more faithful to the novel.

Quotes from Jade Bow Connection Review
    Jin Shi Yi is a highly-skilled beggar. He wallows in self-pity and is actually in danger after learning evil skills from his master, 'The Ruthless Beggar'.
    Moreover out of the whole lot, only Tsang Wai Kuen acts well. He really shines in this role. From an arrogant brat, he turns into a remarkable man.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-10-09 at 09:00 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I like Bai Yun Fei from the ATV series 'Mythical Crane Magic Needle'.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

i think jing yong's female characters are more simplistic, but they tend to have a charm of their own.

while gu long builds his female character but most of them are quite annoying or just too over the top with the way he discribes them.

i still shunder at his discription of that really pretty girl in Flying Dagger. just her hand was enough to gross me out.

Bai Yun Fei i liked, but i liked her more in the book, i liked chiu man's noble baring, hr's devilish nature, ching ching from bxj's childish personality and xln's cluelessness. i also like cheng ying for her gentleness and the girl in black from demi gods semi devil's slasher happy attitude.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Jin Shi Yi is a highly-skilled beggar. He wallows in self-pity and is actually in danger after learning evil skills from his master, 'The Ruthless Beggar'.
    The description here is about right, but I'm not sure exactly how he's portrayed in the ATV version.

Jin wallowed in self-pity for an extended period, a trait that haunted him and the people who cared for him (hurting them in the process).

Jin fell in love with (and grew somewhat emotionally dependent/attached) to a girl, but when he realised she was in love with another, he tried all means to break them up. He was really, really mean during that time but Jin was indeed a more colourful character when compared to the other guy. Too bad for Jin, cos his efforts didn't pay off and the girl married that guy.

And since Jin and Li were both headstrong people, their relationship was a real bumpy ride (I feel kind of sorry for her at times).

Plus, I think the majority of the time he did not want to admit he was in love with Li Shengnan and so on, because she was considered unorthodox. In fact, he wanted to marry Lu Siniang's disciple Gu Zhihua who was not only orthodox but highly respectable (partly due to Lu's reputation).

Jin was very fond of Gu Zhihua, but his true love was Li Shengnan. However, he wanted to be 'clean' (his background and reputation weren't considered respectable in the jianghu) so he decided to gun for Gu instead.

But after Li died, he suffered a traumatic heartbreak and he left, and in turn broke Gu's heart.

Jin wasn't a bad person in nature, but there were just things about him that made me go 'urgh'. And I hated him also because he stole the second half of my favourite Liang Yusheng novel whose title characters wasn't even him... >_>
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 05-10-09 at 10:19 AM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The description here is about right, but I'm not sure exactly how he's portrayed in the ATV version.

Jin wallowed in self-pity for an extended period, a trait that haunted him and the people who cared for him (hurting them in the process).

Jin fell in love with (and grew somewhat emotionally dependent/attached) to a girl, but when he realised she was in love with another, he tried all means to break them up. He was really, really mean during that time but Jin was indeed a more colourful character when compared to the other guy. Too bad for Jin, cos his efforts didn't pay off and the girl married that guy.

And since Jin and Li were both headstrong people, their relationship was a real bumpy ride (I feel kind of sorry for her at times).

Plus, I think the majority of the time he did not want to admit he was in love with Li Shengnan and so on, because she was considered unorthodox. In fact, he wanted to marry Lu Siniang's disciple Gu Zhihua who was not only orthodox but highly respectable (partly due to Lu's reputation).

Jin was very fond of Gu Zhihua, but his true love was Li Shengnan. However, he wanted to be 'clean' (his background and reputation weren't considered respectable in the jianghu) so he decided to gun for Gu instead.

But after Li died, he suffered a traumatic heartbreak and he left, and in turn broke Gu's heart.

Jin wasn't a bad person in nature, but there were just things about him that made me go 'urgh'. And I hated him also because he stole the second half of my favourite Liang Yusheng novel whose title characters wasn't even him... >_>
    the way you describe him, Jin Shiyi sounds like a greedy jerk ! what is your favorite LYS novel?

Your Favourite Female Character!!!

I still can't go past the combination of Su Ying, Ren YY and GX.

What about yours?

Han Solo
    Wong Yung (The absolute best), Wan Ching Ching, Su Ying, Kwok Seung.

i thought in the end he promised to come back for Gu ZhiHua in ten years? or am i thinking of chinese paladin?

the two reminds me off each other, annoying guy shuns girl i like and she dies he leaves then comes back for girl i didn't like.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Shui Sheng. She reminds me of my girlfriend.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」