Thread: Question about PAL DVDs

Default Question about PAL DVDs

Hi guys!
    I was wondering if PAL formatted DVDs can play on a computer DVD rom?? Or does it depend on which kind of computer?
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Don't worry, the ROMs plays all kind of DVDs as long as u have any player
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Thanks! I didn't know that.... I did try to play my NTSC discs with a region of 1 on my laptop that has a DVD rom and all, but it wouldn't play.. I was going to get some DVDs in PAL format since they are way cheaper than the NTSC formatted ones, but none of my players can play PAL formatted discs! Therefore, I am just checking to see if my laptop can play them or not. Thanks for your info!
    Which player are you referring to? DO you mean like WIndows Media player and things like that??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Thanks! I didn't know that.... I did try to play my NTSC discs with a region of 1 on my laptop that has a DVD rom and all, but it wouldn't play.. I was going to get some DVDs in PAL format since they are way cheaper than the NTSC formatted ones, but none of my players can play PAL formatted discs! Therefore, I am just checking to see if my laptop can play them or not. Thanks for your info!
    Which player are you referring to? DO you mean like WIndows Media player and things like that??
    is ur laptop dvd rom set to play Region 1 discs? if not, then u're never going to get them to play without a little hacking
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Actually, I don't know if my laptop is set to play region 1 discs. I did try to play my set of Bi Xue JIan DVDs(the TVB version) which was region 1 and it wouldn't play... All of my other all region discs played well though. I never tried a PAL disc before though...

Actually, I don't know if my laptop is set to play region 1 discs. I did try to play my set of Bi Xue JIan DVDs(the TVB version) which was region 1 and it wouldn't play... All of my other all region discs played well though. I never tried a PAL disc before though...
    if u can play other region1 discs then ur dvdrom is most likely set to region1.
    most dvdrom drives play both NTSC and PAL discs. but it looks like you're laptop dvdrom reads only NTSC only.

what u can do is try to play on other dvdrom drives.
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

yup . It's definitely new to me that a ROM that can only play NTSC and not PAL format... sorry, I have no idea at all.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Thanks for the info you guys! I guess I won't dare to get any PAL DVDs then cause none of my players would be able to play them. I was hoping that my laptop would be able to play them. If my laptop can't play them then there is no use in me getting them... Thanks again!

I wonder why shops in North America even bother selling PAL discs. It's not like the majority of potential customers here own the hardware to play them on.

I agree, but I think there are some players that can play both PAL and and NTSC. However, a majority of the customers in the US only buy NTSC DVDs.