View Poll Results: Would you pay double or tripple for ORGANIC FOOD?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 37.04%
  • No

17 62.96%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Organic Food Vs Genetic Food

Quote Originally Posted by soccerfeva View Post
    I think the price can be up to 8-10 times.
    The price of organic food usually double, sometimes less than double. Sometimes tripple but rare. I don't think 8 - 10 times, that is way too high. Sure, organic food is more expensive to grow, but not to the point of 10 times the cost...
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBanh View Post
    The price of organic food usually double, sometimes less than double. Sometimes tripple but rare. I don't think 8 - 10 times, that is way too high. Sure, organic food is more expensive to grow, but not to the point of 10 times the cost...
    I think it depends where you live. In countries with lots of farm land like US, Canada, Australia, the cost may be double or triple. In countries with not so much farm land, like in europe, it could be alot more than that.

Maybe everyone should go to the market and see what organic vs non-organic tomatoes cost and then post the results here and we could find out? To keep it accurate, convert the cost to US$ per kg if u can.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Maybe everyone should go to the market and see what organic vs non-organic tomatoes cost and then post the results here and we could find out? To keep it accurate, convert the cost to US$ per kg if u can.
    Also include the country where it is grown. I checked my grocery bill from yesterday and i bought "vine-ripened" (don't think they're organic) from Canada for $4.39CDN/kg. That converts to $3.96US/kg, or $1.80US/lb.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Eating organic is really hard. They don't make organic Godiva truffles or anything. I wouldn't ever give up Godiva.

I think the title of this thread is rather misleading. When I think of "genetic food," I think of GM foods like soybeans (soy products are amazing), canola oil, etc. For some reason I'd prefer "conventional foods" or something like that. Isn't that what they're called on the market anyway?

Time had a really interesting article on this, actually - organic vs. local. I think that we shouldn't purchase our foods based on a label - organic or not. Frankly, some of the bigger organic firms nowadays have similar businesses as conventional food companies, only they don't spray pesticides, etc. As consumers we should be informed on whether organic really makes a difference in our case. In some products, organic foods are dramatically healthier, but the same isn't true for all food items.

As far as factory farming goes, awful as it is, I think that we're have enough humanitarian issues as it is. There are more chickens on this earth than humans. I'm sorry, but they're not on the top of my concerns list. Even sweatshop labour is a better cause, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995 View Post
    I voted for organic food, but I don't want to fork over the extra $$$. The best solution for me is to become a vegetarian and grow my own vegetables.
    I tried that (growing my own vegetables, not being a vegetarian - I'm skinny enough as it is)! Only I don't have a lovely yard, so I grew them on the balcony. Only my tomatoes survived, and those are supposedly fruits!
    Last edited by Sparky; 05-05-07 at 10:30 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Also include the country where it is grown. I checked my grocery bill from yesterday and i bought "vine-ripened" (don't think they're organic) from Canada for $4.39CDN/kg. That converts to $3.96US/kg, or $1.80US/lb.
    thats not that bad. i've seen organic tomatoes go to $5.00US/lb before in those organic markets they have every summer. and they're like so small and have bumps.. yu know, the type thats home grown and stuff and not genetically altered. i'm sorry but i dont have $5.00 to spend on a small tomato. where does all that money go to anyways? the farm?

Trader Joe's usually sell organic foods without the hefty price tag. I usually go there to shop for organic food instead of Whole Foods.

I buy both genetic and organic food.... but I would like to go all organic someday... Also, the free range chicken taste so much better than those massed produced chicken... the meat smells better and the skin is tougher.

Some tips on growing tomatoes because I did that one summer... grow the cherry tomatoes. I grew cherry tomatoes, beef tomatoes and some other tomatoes (sorry, forgot the name). I only got 2 beef tomatoes, 5 of the other tomatoes, and like 60-80 cherry tomatoes. You get so much more tomatoes when growing the cherry tomatoes. Anyway, just wanted to state that.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I pay 2-3x amount of money to buy cage-free, naturally fed chicken eggs. After watching the industry's despicable treatment of chicken (some chickens never have enough space during its entire life to flap once its wings) in the documentary "Natural History of the Chicken", I will never again support the disgraceful method of raising chicken by means of mass production.
    Me too! I eat organic eggs

Im too lazy to post why so Im just gonna make it short: Yes I would pay double or triple for Organic Food.
    Call me KIM

LIVE
    to
    EAT
    to
    LIVE

Danny Noriega (American Idol Season 7) fan FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBanh View Post
    It is well known that Organic food is healthier but also cost a lot more. The price of organic food sometimes double or tripple the price of genetic food. Do you think it is worth it to pay double or tripple for organic food?
    I personally think it is worth it, I rather sacrifice other luxuries for better health.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg')
    I would eat food that is ORIGINALLY created then altered.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy View Post
    Trader Joe's usually sell organic foods without the hefty price tag. I usually go there to shop for organic food instead of Whole Foods.

I buy both genetic and organic food.... but I would like to go all organic someday... Also, the free range chicken taste so much better than those massed produced chicken... the meat smells better and the skin is tougher.

Some tips on growing tomatoes because I did that one summer... grow the cherry tomatoes. I grew cherry tomatoes, beef tomatoes and some other tomatoes (sorry, forgot the name). I only got 2 beef tomatoes, 5 of the other tomatoes, and like 60-80 cherry tomatoes. You get so much more tomatoes when growing the cherry tomatoes. Anyway, just wanted to state that.
    For people who live in Canada, you can get organic food at The Real Canadian Superstore. The price of organic foods in this super market is very good and of course still more expensive than the genetic. Also, in term of size, organic food is smaller......
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy View Post
    yea! i grow tomatoes too and let me tell yu; its way better than any store bought ones. and its organic!

Banned

organgic food isn't that bad. it's just dangerous and not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Astronema2 View Post
    organgic food isn't that bad. it's just dangerous and not safe.
    Why is it dangerous and not safe? Organic food is the safest and most environmental friendly products out there.

I would go for organic foods because they are better for my health in the long run. You may not see the different in the short term but it will definitely benefit you in the long run. What is more important than your health???

Organic foods taste better, a LOT better.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Organic foods taste better, a LOT better.
    Agree.
    I don't mind cloned food either as they are approved by the FDA with regulation. But if I can afford it, then I would definitely prefer Organic food over Genetic and Cloned foods...

When I saw this topic, I had to post a reply.

Look at the kids now a days, they are huge due to them eating the Genetic food. Its nice to have your own kids eat Organic food, but they will be smaller, since they would NOT get the grow hormones which exist in genetic foods. So, your children will live longer, but will be smaller than everyone else for the rest of the lives. Also, they may have to endure alot of bullies.

Last edited by gqonmars2; 04-09-08 at 09:55 AM.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

Organic... I used to think it just means it contains carbon.

If you've seen something explicit that makes you uncomfortable like abused chickens, sure then go for organic eggs. Or if you find organic food tastes better and can afford it, sure go for it.

But I don't think there's much evidence to show that "organic" food is necessarily healther than others. You have a much higher chance of dying by car accident or by stress-induced immunosuppression than by the "health risks" posed by "non-organic" food.

And I thought regular food price has already inflated by over 20% in the past 2 years? That makes me sweat a lot and I can't grow fat that way.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Here is a true story. You didn't ask for it, but I think it helps explain my values and where I'm coming from:

When my mom was a child in China in the 60s, our family was in poverty. We rarely had enough to eat, let alone have any meat for food. My grandmother was very ill and my mom had to perform double duty as a student/worker and as a caretaker for her mother and her little sister.

Flash forward to present day America, my mom is a lot wealthier with reasonable savings. She often tells me what fond memories she has of the days when the entire family was together. Even thought we were poor at the time, there was always something interesting going on to engage the soul. My mom longs to return to her homeland where she may live in a more humble condition and be reunited with the people that she loves. The only thing keeping her from returning is her son. Once she feels that I can stand in this world on my own, she will return to her homeland and give up the relative luxury in exchange for the comfort of being with the family (who is still quite poor, by the way).

I have watched Battle Royale. Desperate times call for desperate measures. That's why I previously said that Money is important. But money by itself is no good. Most people need a sense of purpose to feel adequate in life. It would be rather sad for any individual to feel that his purpose in life is to make money and die (it may be true for some people, but sad nontheless).
    Great minds think alike. Although I'm not that great. But I think likewise.

I agree to that. And, that's called "think outside the box". Unfortunately, only minority can figure out the meaning of life that way.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by gqonmars2 View Post

Look at the kids now a days, they are huge due to them eating the Genetic food. Its nice to have your own kids eat Organic food, but they will be smaller, since they would NOT get the grow hormones which exist in genetic foods. So, your children will live longer, but will be smaller than everyone else for the rest of the lives. Also, they may have to endure alot of bullies.

Small and healthy is better than big and unhealthy...
    Therefore, feeding the kids organic foods is one of the best things you can do for your kids

Quote Originally Posted by gqonmars2 View Post

or maybe they're just eating MORE food....