View Poll Results: Would you pay double or tripple for ORGANIC FOOD?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 37.04%
  • No

17 62.96%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Organic Food Vs Genetic Food

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    or maybe they're just eating MORE food....
    I agree.

I'm quite boggled by gqonmars2's post, seriously. I've only read about the possible health effects that genetic food could bring, not WEIGHT problems.

Have you compared the US servings with Asian servings? I can share one US serving with a friend and that's how big it is. Put that on accumulation plus the fact that some people do eat more, is it that surprising that people gets fat?

Don't blame everything on genetic food.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

or maybe they're just eating MORE food....
    I have to agree this is a possibility. They grow up drinking and eating a lot more than when I did as a kid which was only a few years ago.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

One other question. On the evening news, they stated that research has shown that all the kids nowadays are over weight partly due to the fruit juices that they drink. I agree with the fact that juices contain high amount of calories. But, seriously, do you guys really think that if you drink a few juice boxes, or maybe instead of 6 cups of water, they drink 6 cups of juice will in turn make kids/people fat?

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

Quote Originally Posted by gqonmars2 View Post
    One other question. On the evening news, they stated that research has shown that all the kids nowadays are over weight partly due to the fruit juices that they drink. I agree with the fact that juices contain high amount of calories. But, seriously, do you guys really think that if you drink a few juice boxes, or maybe instead of 6 cups of water, they drink 6 cups of juice will in turn make kids/people fat?

Hehehe you can try and tell us the results...

Quote Originally Posted by gqonmars2 View Post

that's because juice boxes are 2% juice and 98% syrup :P. think of it as drinking 6 cups of sugar instead of six cups of water

Default Organic food is no healthier, study finds

http://www.canada.com/health/Organic...161/story.html

Organic food is no healthier, study finds

LONDON - Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.

A systematic review of 162 scientific papers published in the scientific literature over the last 50 years, however, found there was no significant difference.

"A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.

"Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."

The results of research, which was commissioned by the British government's Food Standards Agency, were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Sales of organic food have fallen in some markets, including Britain, as recession has led consumers to cut back on purchases.

The Soil Association said in April that growth in sales of organic products in Britain slowed to just 1.7 percent in 2008, well below the average annual growth rate of 26 percent over the last decade, following a plunge in demand at the end of the year.

I assure you that in another few months or years, they will come up with another research with a completely different conclusion.

well, the whole reason ppl went after organic food was not for nutrition anyways...

well, the whole reason ppl went after organic food was not for nutrition anyways...
    Oh? Then what was it for?

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Oh? Then what was it for?
    it wasn't about which one "lacked" nutrition compared to "organic" foods. it was that they are afraid "non-organic" foods had "extra nutrition" that they didn't want to eat.

it wasn't about which one "lacked" nutrition compared to "organic" foods. it was that they are afraid "non-organic" foods had "extra nutrition" that they didn't want to eat.
    Those extra stuff as in pesticides and other chemicals??
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 07-31-09 at 05:30 AM.

I assure you that in another few months or years, they will come up with another research with a completely different conclusion.
    I doubt it, unless the systematic review is done poorly. They will reach a different conclusion if either groups of comparison themselves changes over the years. So what? If the compared groups aren't static, why should science stay static. You can still live life according the best currently available evidence, sure a large portion of it will be baloney in a few years, but you don't know which at the moment.

Also, most people recieve latest scientific updates from the media, which have an odd habit of misintepreting conclusions, drawing their own conclusions, extrapolating inappropriately, exaggeration and finding poorly done research to report on in the first place.
    Last edited by yittz; 07-31-09 at 06:43 AM.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Also, most people recieve latest scientific updates from the media, which have an odd habit of misintepreting conclusions, drawing their own conclusions, extrapolating inappropriately, exaggeration and finding poorly done research to report on in the first place.
    This is very true.

This is why I usually never bother reading scientific news articles, since they end up being sensational and not scientific. If I wanted real science, I'd look up the original journals themselves. Though even then, you still need to remain critical.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

As for myself, I continue to believe organic food is better and willing to pay the extra for it. I simply don't believe the study.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    As for myself, I continue to believe organic food is better and willing to pay the extra for it. I simply don't believe the study.
    Yup, just don't believe in science like you always do.

Quote Originally Posted by haeveingridseyn View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm newbie to this thread. Can any one of you tell me, what is Organic and genetic food? I want your help. Please Help!!!!!!
    Organic food is food that are grown without the use of stuff like antibiotics, herbicides and pesticides - all natural, you can say.

Genetic food are genetically-modified food, meaning their genes are modified for purposes such as higher food yield, disease- and drought-resistant and etc.

If I were rich, I definitely wouldn't mind forking out the extra cash to buy organic food.

Right now, the only organic "food" I purchase regularly is milk. I find that 0% fat organic milk tastes infinitely better than 0% fat inorganic milk. I guess it's more a matter of taste than health, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post
    If I were rich, I definitely wouldn't mind forking out the extra cash to buy organic food.

Right now, the only organic "food" I purchase regularly is milk. I find that 0% fat organic milk tastes infinitely better than 0% fat inorganic milk. I guess it's more a matter of taste than health, for me.
    Beside being healthier, organic food does taste better than genetic food most of the time, if not 100% of the time. Organic (free run) chicken is much better than the regular chicken.

If you are from first world countries and live responsibly then the cost of organic food should not be a problem for you. After all, you only can eat so much. If you switch from genetic food to organic food, I guess it only cost you like couple hundred dollars more a month. I know people who complain about being broke all the times but they have no problem of spending a couple hundred dollars at club just for a night.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I pay 2-3x amount of money to buy cage-free, naturally fed chicken eggs. After watching the industry's despicable treatment of chicken (some chickens never have enough space during its entire life to flap once its wings) in the documentary "Natural History of the Chicken", I will never again support the disgraceful method of raising chicken by means of mass production.
    Quality is far more important than quantity. You only can eat so much anyway, so overall it doesn't cost you all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by sha*sha View Post
    Well, is there a difference in the taste of organic food vs. genetic food?
    Organic food tastes better to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    hmm - i'm not picky given the fact that a lot of other people don't even have money to be full
    Do you have any proof? Here in Canada, most of the hungers waste their money on something else such as drug, gambling, smoke, ect...

Quote Originally Posted by kimtsf View Post
    Me too! I eat organic eggs

Im too lazy to post why so Im just gonna make it short: Yes I would pay double or triple for Organic Food.
    Good for you.

I agree.

I'm quite boggled by gqonmars2's post, seriously. I've only read about the possible health effects that genetic food could bring, not WEIGHT problems.

Have you compared the US servings with Asian servings? I can share one US serving with a friend and that's how big it is. Put that on accumulation plus the fact that some people do eat more, is it that surprising that people gets fat?

Don't blame everything on genetic food.
    LOL. yea, if they eat like Asians ~ well, the obesity issue might be reduced. granted, there 'might have been' a minority out there with a genuine 'obesity gene' that isnt entirely due to poor eating habits; but for most...after downing that much food, one's gotta be abnormal to not get fat.....
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.