View Poll Results: Would you pay double or tripple for ORGANIC FOOD?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 37.04%
  • No

17 62.96%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Organic Food Vs Genetic Food

Default Organic Food Vs Genetic Food

It is well known that Organic food is healthier but also cost a lot more. The price of organic food sometimes double or tripple the price of genetic food. Do you think it is worth it to pay double or tripple for organic food?
    I personally think it is worth it, I rather sacrifice other luxuries for better health.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg')
    Last edited by PeterBanh; 04-29-07 at 04:32 AM.
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

organic food is hardly any safter than genetically altered food.

genetically altered meat MIGHT pose a heath problem if the animal hormones somehow mutated to work in humans. of course, if you were an animal rights advocate, it'll be another issue

as for plants, unless they decided to inject some type of toxin gene in the plants, i don't see any harm at all. the potential problems that comes from plants are usually the use of fertilizers and insecticides

Well, is there a difference in the taste of organic food vs. genetic food?

why's he hiding in there? perve.

hmm - i'm not picky given the fact that a lot of other people don't even have money to be full

think about it- organic food comes from places that have a lot of feilds and stuff to grow crops such as california and other privately owned and stuff. by the time that that food reaches me/you, it would have taken more fuel than it would have taken the genetic food which is close by. hahas i got this from a TiME article i read a few months ago http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...595245,00.html
    personally; i dont really feel like it matters since
    1. how do i/yu really know its "organic"? unless you go to wholefoods or organic chains like that you dont really know if its really organic.
    2. genetic foods are pretty safe since most of us have been eatting them our whole lives and unless the FDA announces that its no long safe anymore, i dont really see why we should change our eating habits for foods that dont have pesticides and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    hmm - i'm not picky given the fact that a lot of other people don't even have money to be full
    If people living responsibly, then food wouldn't be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBanh View Post
    If people living responsibly, then food wouldn't be a problem
    According to most of what I've read, organic farming is unsustainable and cannot be used to feed the world's population. The increased land use (organics required 6 times as much land for the same yield as non-organic) and crop loss from insects and disease would drastically reduce the developed world's food supply. The reason many poor countries can't feed themselves is that they can only grow organically and don't have access to modern technologies to increase their crop and livestock yields.

Also, some "organically-approved" pesticides are highly toxic to other life forms and we may find in the future that some of these so-called organic pesticides are deadly to humans too.

Another study claimed that if modern technology (antibiotics, genetic enhancements, etc.) was used to farm all the arable land today (now this was a few years back), we could feed 2.5 billion ppl a North American diet, or 5 billion an Asian diet - still not enough for everyone. Humans have a long way to go to beat world hunger.

Having said that, organic food is a luxury that is affordable for most of the developed world. Everyone else has to go suck an egg, if they're lucky.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

I pay 2-3x amount of money to buy cage-free, naturally fed chicken eggs. After watching the industry's despicable treatment of chicken (some chickens never have enough space during its entire life to flap once its wings) in the documentary "Natural History of the Chicken", I will never again support the disgraceful method of raising chicken by means of mass production.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I pay 2-3x amount of money to buy cage-free, naturally fed chicken eggs. After watching the industry's despicable treatment of chicken (some chickens never have enough space during its entire life to flap once its wings) in the documentary "Natural History of the Chicken", I will never again support the disgraceful method of raising chicken by means of mass production.
    can't do nothing about it, i saw it too but a guy's got to eat and that's the only way to produce them cheap.

genetic altered food is much better.. imagine having to pick out all the seeds everytime u eat grapes or watermelon... what a pain
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    can't do nothing about it, i saw it too but a guy's got to eat and that's the only way to produce them cheap.
    Sometimes it's not about the money. It's about self satisfaction. If you can live with shopping at Wal-Mart knowing that they oppress and mistreat their workers overseas, then be my guest. I feel good when I shop responsibly. You CAN make a difference with your purchasing power.

animal abuse definitely seems cruel

...but then, eating them isn't quite so compassionate either

y would u pay that much to get the same food? if ur that paranoid about ur health, u can just grow ur own food...

Quote Originally Posted by watermelonhead View Post
    y would u pay that much to get the same food? if ur that paranoid about ur health, u can just grow ur own food...
    For middle class and richer who are in their 40s or older would concern about eating healthy. Sure, two or three times the price of genetic food seem expensive but they surely can afford it. Afterall, for middle class and richer, organic food is very affordable, they aren't that expensive anyway because the amount that a person consume is not that much anyway...

Imagine the cost of going to club and the cost of organic food.....

Sometimes it's not about the money. It's about self satisfaction. If you can live with shopping at Wal-Mart knowing that they oppress and mistreat their workers overseas, then be my guest. I feel good when I shop responsibly. You CAN make a difference with your purchasing power.
    In this word, in order to gain something you must trade something equivilent, it's a stupid quote from an anime, but it holds true in this world... WE in the rich nations got our money from the sweats of the people in the POOR countries. The car you drive, the food you eat, the water u use, in some way you've indirectly deprived people in the poor countries to get those stuff. I've learned to accept that fact and stops my attempts to do good because I AM a part of that cause, no matter what I do it can't replace the damage that was caused as a whole. This might come off as selfish and unmoral, but that's life, we're in the cycle of life that we can't change the outcome, the only way is to go along with it.

and it's ALWAYS about the money, money has alot more impact than just a unit of exchange, it has other value as well that people tend to over look, but almost everything is directly or indirectly related to money.
    Last edited by warlock110; 05-04-07 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    animal abuse definitely seems cruel

...but then, eating them isn't quite so compassionate either
    Well, all organic food come from life. Plants too have life. Many anti-[animal cruelty] advocates are guilty of plant-cruelty.

In this word, in order to gain something you must trade something equivilent, it's a stupid quote from an anime, but it holds true in this world
    Nah it's not a stupid quote. I believe it is known as Creative Destruction in Macroeconomics.

WE in the rich nations got our money from the sweats of the people in the POOR countries.
    Why do you say that?

I work for a medical company. We get our paychecks largely from selling medicine to the middle class or wealthier patients in developed countries. There's not much market for biomedical innovation in third world countries.

The car you drive, the food you eat, the water u use, in some way you've indirectly deprived people in the poor countries to get those stuff.
    There is some truth in that statement, but I want to reiterate that we DO have the ability to make a statement with our purchasing power. I have made a commitment to support organic food, independent films, local restaurants, and other generally overlooked items. I do believe there is a difference in the quality, and I feel good for supporting what I trust is a positive cause. I don't wish to convert anyone to follow this lifestyle; just want to say that I do have a choice for myself and I am simply doing that which feels "right" for me to do

and it's ALWAYS about the money
    I'm sorry that you feel this way. I too was raised with this belief. But if I have learned one thing in my 23 years of living, it is that the most important things in life aren't things. Money is important but wealth has a tendency to make people lonely. To me, a large saving is meaningless without friends, family, and partners to care about and who do the same in return, and those are things that money cannot buy.

can friends/family live together happily while hungry? have you seen what people do to each other when they're at the end of the rope? money is the invisible hands that control almost everything and everything will have to relate to it within a certain extent.

Creative destruction is a nice theory on the ground level, but then again, if you think about it, it's not always a trade off in terms of utility, there's other variables in there too... the level of utility is what most people base on as a unit when they talks about economic, but when you break down to the core, the utility is base on preference of the individual, the truth is that you're still trading something equivilent to get what you want. Example right now, trading in draft pick in football, people trading players/picks thinking that they really benefit... but do they really benefit? its really up to the individual's view and not as a whole community view. if everyone thinks the same way about their utility then we'll never have trade in this world.

can friends/family live together happily while hungry?
    Here is a true story. You didn't ask for it, but I think it helps explain my values and where I'm coming from:

When my mom was a child in China in the 60s, our family was in poverty. We rarely had enough to eat, let alone have any meat for food. My grandmother was very ill and my mom had to perform double duty as a student/worker and as a caretaker for her mother and her little sister.

Flash forward to present day America, my mom is a lot wealthier with reasonable savings. She often tells me what fond memories she has of the days when the entire family was together. Even thought we were poor at the time, there was always something interesting going on to engage the soul. My mom longs to return to her homeland where she may live in a more humble condition and be reunited with the people that she loves. The only thing keeping her from returning is her son. Once she feels that I can stand in this world on my own, she will return to her homeland and give up the relative luxury in exchange for the comfort of being with the family (who is still quite poor, by the way).

have you seen what people do to each other when they're at the end of the rope?
    I have watched Battle Royale. Desperate times call for desperate measures. That's why I previously said that Money is important. But money by itself is no good. Most people need a sense of purpose to feel adequate in life. It would be rather sad for any individual to feel that his purpose in life is to make money and die (it may be true for some people, but sad nontheless).
    Last edited by PJ; 05-04-07 at 04:53 PM.

I voted for organic food, but I don't want to fork over the extra $$$. The best solution for me is to become a vegetarian and grow my own vegetables.

I think the price can be up to 8-10 times.