Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angels and Demons

Default Angels and Demons

As a novel, I found Angels and Demons better then The DaVinci Code, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the movie version compares. I'm also wanting to see what changes they'll make with the movie.

Is anyone else planning to watch this movie?
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Yeah, many people anticipate this movie but I'm more eager to read the third Robert Langdon adventure - The Lost Symbol/The Solomon Key which will take place in Washington, D.C. and focus on Freemasonry with the plot taking place over a 12-hour period. The book will be published on 15th September 2009.

Anyway this movie is going to look architecturally gorgeous with the Rome setting. Can't wait to see how they film
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Langdon aerial drop using a window cover from the chopper as a parachute - going to look ridiculous LOL
    Last edited by rosely; 04-27-09 at 10:00 AM.

I doubt the movie will do the book justice. Plan to watch it, because the book was so good and I want to see all the historical art and architecture.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I want to see this movie mainly because of the excellent Ewan McGregor.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I want to see this movie mainly because of the excellent Ewan McGregor.
    McGregor's addition into this movie has got to be another reason for me to catch it too!

I can't wait for the movie to screen!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Looking forward to it. Interestingly, Dan Brown's novels didn't hold my attention but I like the first movie.

heard a lot of about this movie,they are promoting the hell out of this,the ad are all over tv

Quote Originally Posted by wingster1958 View Post
    heard a lot of about this movie,they are promoting the hell out of this,the ad are all over tv
    They should, 'cos the Vatican ain't giving them free promotion like it did for the DaVinci Code.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I just finished watching this movie today. 2nd day it came out. it was alright. it felt like a crime drama where the leads focus on tracking down the ritual "serial" killer. it is definitely a different tone than the first film. The first film was more of a religious mystery thriller. This movie is more about science vs religion.

i give it 3/5 stars.

I read DaVinci Code, and found it to be an average book. Not that captivating to me. So I don't know how much I'd like Angels and Demons.

I haven't seen the movies either, so I don't know if I want to see this one.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I read DaVinci Code, and found it to be an average book. Not that captivating to me. So I don't know how much I'd like Angels and Demons.

I haven't seen the movies either, so I don't know if I want to see this one.
    i found the movie just average. i recommend it only if ur bored or interested in religious thrillers. It's nothing special.

I've watched it and IMO it's really good. Kept me tensed, though the roles of the characters are pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I've watched it and IMO it's really good. Kept me tensed, though the roles of the characters are pretty obvious.
    Xiangér, you're fast!

I think, if I'd read the book, I'd probably have a better understanding of the movie and grasp the roles of the character faster than I had.

Quite a complex plot, if you hadn't read the book.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Movie can't do justice to the book?

Why did you find the Da Vinci code average Jaded? Did you know about the theories already?

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post

Why did you find the Da Vinci code average Jaded? Did you know about the theories already?
    Yittzie, Da Vinci Code isn't an original work of Danny. I think you already know, right? With that, there's a loss of incentive there.

Angels & Demons could be original idea of Danny, but don't believe the theories in that fiction novel (if that's the theory you're referring to). It's all twisted to Danny's convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post

I thought the theories were interesting, but not something that spectacular, i.e. it didn't blow me away.

The story-telling of the book was just another adventure book. It was written well and well thought-out, but it doesn't leave me with anything deep (unlike some other novels did, i.e. A Clockwork Orange or Brave New World). It didn't make me think about the world or about anything beyond the novel. From a literary point of view, I'd classify DaVinci Code as the same as the Harry Potter books - fun to read, but that's about it. Though DaVinci Code was better written than Harry Potter (seriously, Rowling just got lazy as the time went on).

That's just my opinion though, and I know many others loved DaVinci Code.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Yittzie, Da Vinci Code isn't an original work of Danny. I think you already know, right? With that, there's a loss of incentive there.

Angels & Demons could be original idea of Danny, but don't believe the theories in that fiction novel (if that's the theory you're referring to). It's all twisted to Danny's convenience.
    Yep, he was merely the messenger. Research twisted to fit the storyline. The research was nevertheless interesting for me. I liked Angels and Demons even more because I've never heard of the illumati and also I am interested in art history and italian architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I thought the theories were interesting, but not something that spectacular, i.e. it didn't blow me away.

The story-telling of the book was just another adventure book. It was written well and well thought-out, but it doesn't leave me with anything deep (unlike some other novels did, i.e. A Clockwork Orange or Brave New World). It didn't make me think about the world or about anything beyond the novel. From a literary point of view, I'd classify DaVinci Code as the same as the Harry Potter books - fun to read, but that's about it. Though DaVinci Code was better written than Harry Potter (seriously, Rowling just got lazy as the time went on).

That's just my opinion though, and I know many others loved DaVinci Code.
    Yep, yep. It was informative and interesting theories. Fun read. Didn't make me think too much afterwards. Agree on Harry Potter, for me 4th book was the best, although earlier books are better written.

Member of TC fanclub.

I got to watch this movie on the weekend and I actually quite liked it. True that the movie is never as good as the book, but I found this adaption pretty good, better then The DaVinci code (I actually didn't mind The DaVinci code either but I didn't like the fact they had less puzzles to solve and the change in the ending).

Angels and Demons is more like a thriller, which I suppose is my kind of genre, which probably explains why I like both the novel and movie better then the DaVinci code. Robert and Vittoria's race to find the four cardinals and that antimatter before each hour made the movie more exciting and faster paced, and having Rome as the backdrop for the movie, especially the scenes in St Peters Square, was really nice and quite grand. I've never been to Rome or Vatican City so I have never seen any of those statues, churches, temples altars, ect... used in the movie, but after watching the movie, it does make me want to go and see the place for myself.

Though I wonder how much of it was actually filmed on location and what parts were filmed in the studio?

Now, even though I liked it, I was slightly dissapointed with a few scenes, one of them being the scene where they follow the Camerlengo down to the Necropolis, to St Peter's tomb, I don't know but I never imagined that St. Peter's tomb would look like a construction site? Actually I'm not too sure what I was expecting but definetely not like that.

I read the book awhile ago so I can't quite remember but I'm sure all four cardinals died in the novel right? and it was the guy who was overseeing the votes that eventually got voted to become the new pope? And somethings different about the last Illuminati brand, I remember something about all four symbols somehow fitting into the 5th brand? One thing I'm very glad the movie didn't do was the romantic aspect between Robert and Vittoria actually I really praise Ron Howard for this in both Angels and Demons and The DaVinci code, I'm so glad he decided to forgo that, even though it was in the book, its probably the only time I'm glad they didn't adapt everything according to the novel.

Woah I can't believe I wrote so much!
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    Can't wait to see how they film
    Langdon aerial drop using a window cover from the chopper as a parachute - going to look ridiculous LOL
    The producer got no balls, the ending is butchered not like what I expected. Shit, I really want to look how they film Langdon aerial drop and he is not even in the helicopter. I guess they also think the same thing as me, that those scene going to be funny and moronic.

WTF with the Scottish working in Vatican O_O. Many things changed just because they need a recognizable face (Obi Wan) in the film as the Carmelengo. The accent completely out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    WTF with the Scottish working in Vatican O_O. Many things changed just because they need a recognizable face (Obi Wan) in the film as the Carmelengo. The accent completely out of place.
    Huh? Why can't a Scottish be there? I don't think the Vatican is made up of only specific races, right? And the current Pope is a German...