Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Are *all* wulin members sword-proficient, regardless of weapons preferences?

  1. #1
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,609

    Default Are *all* wulin members sword-proficient, regardless of weapons preferences?

    In wulin, some fighters favor the use of weapons while others prefer using their bare hands to fight. Among those who use weapons, there is a great variety of armament preferences...ranging from the standard swords and sabers to truly bizarre and unique weaponry such as Divine Crocodile's crocodile-jaw/scissors to Cheun Gum Fat's (Gong Nam Freak # 6) weight scale.

    The sword is considered the standard wuxia weapon, favored by a large number of characters. Certainly, there are sword specialists such as Dook Goo Kau Bai, Ling Wu Chung, Sai Mun Chui Sheut, etc., but are *all* wulin fighters, to some extent, sword proficient? For example, I don't recall any instance of Kiu Fung using a sword during DGSD, but as a top martial artist, he should be competent in using one, correct? Are all wulin people at least sword-proficient, if not exactly experts or specialists in using the sword?

  2. #2
    Senior Member sarakoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Where DO I live?
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In wulin, some fighters favor the use of weapons while others prefer using their bare hands to fight. Among those who use weapons, there is a great variety of armament preferences...ranging from the standard swords and sabers to truly bizarre and unique weaponry such as Divine Crocodile's crocodile-jaw/scissors to Cheun Gum Fat's (Gong Nam Freak # 6) weight scale.

    The sword is considered the standard wuxia weapon, favored by a large number of characters. Certainly, there are sword specialists such as Dook Goo Kau Bai, Ling Wu Chung, Sai Mun Chui Sheut, etc., but are *all* wulin fighters, to some extent, sword proficient? For example, I don't recall any instance of Kiu Fung using a sword during DGSD, but as a top martial artist, he should be competent in using one, correct? Are all wulin people at least sword-proficient, if not exactly experts or specialists in using the sword?
    I wouldn't say *all* but the sword is a very popular weapon.

  3. #3
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,609

    Default

    It seems to me that the basic use of the sword is as universal and fundamental to wulin society as the horse stance. Not everybody will be a sword expert, of course, but it seems that everybody knows at least the basics of using one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Extremer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    LOHAH - Land of Honour & Happiness
    Posts
    2,405

    Post

    Most sects have their own swordplay and sword techniques. It seems bringing a sword along symbolises heroism and loyalty or something like that.

    Does Shaolin have a sword-based martial arts in one of their Shaolin 72 Supreme Martial Arts? I think so.
    ..ext88

  5. #5
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    There is the Damo Swordplay, seen in BOOK & SWORD (among possibly others). It may not be a supreme art though.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    As soon as I saw Extremer88's question, the names "Luo Han Sword Art" and "Da Mo Sword Art" immediately popped into my mind. I have no clue if there's really a Luohan swordplay, but this is Shaolin, which is renowned for naming everything in a similar manner

  7. #7
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,609

    Default

    Moreover, all of the Greats used swords during at least one portion of the First Mt. Hua Sword Tournament...even the ones who weren't usually thought of as "swordsmen" (i.e. North Beggar Hung 7 Gung and West Poison Au Yeung Fung).

  8. #8
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey View Post
    As soon as I saw Extremer88's question, the names "Luo Han Sword Art" and "Da Mo Sword Art" immediately popped into my mind. I have no clue if there's really a Luohan swordplay, but this is Shaolin, which is renowned for naming everything in a similar manner

    I am sure that within the massive cataloge of Shaolin skills, there is a :

    Great - Luohan/Prana/Damo/JinGang version of:

    Fist/Palm/Sword/Cudgel/Finger/Demon Taming/Tiger Subduing/Toe Stomp etc

    edit : inserted items in italics to please PJ.
    Last edited by CC; 05-02-07 at 11:31 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    You forgot -TAMING, CC.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  10. #10
    Senior Member AnhHung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    771

    Default

    White Eyebrow Eagle King was known for his Eagle claws and rarely uses his sword. During the figth on Ming Peak he said that he stop using swords after the death of his daugther. That means that he must have use it a lot more before. He also gave ZWJ his precious sword.

    So even though he is known for his claws, he must have been fairly good with swords.

    I think that everybody knows at least a basic sword/saber skill. Its like everybody knows ligthness skills.

    OT: my impression from the JY novels is that people carry their swords on their backs, and not as in the adaptations where they holds the swords in their hands. Is this correct? What about GL characters?
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The sword is considered the standard wuxia weapon, favored by a large number of characters. Certainly, there are sword specialists such as Dook Goo Kau Bai, Ling Wu Chung, Sai Mun Chui Sheut, etc., but are *all* wulin fighters, to some extent, sword proficient? For example, I don't recall any instance of Kiu Fung using a sword during DGSD, but as a top martial artist, he should be competent in using one, correct? Are all wulin people at least sword-proficient, if not exactly experts or specialists in using the sword?
    i read somewhere that sword is a popular weapon due to it's versatility, but also happens to be hardest weapon to train for (there's a saying about this somewhere that ranks sabre easiest and sword hardest...though i don't remeber everything in between). maybe the "higher" martial artists prefered to learn some sword skills because it would make them seem more sophisticated?

    XF is suppose to be proficient with anything, even if he's never learned it, so i wouldn't think he'd have a hard time.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Snafu3721's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    i read somewhere that sword is a popular weapon due to it's versatility, but also happens to be hardest weapon to train for (there's a saying about this somewhere that ranks sabre easiest and sword hardest...though i don't remeber everything in between). maybe the "higher" martial artists prefered to learn some sword skills because it would make them seem more sophisticated?

    XF is suppose to be proficient with anything, even if he's never learned it, so i wouldn't think he'd have a hard time.
    From what I was told by many Martial Art practitioners:

    Sword is the most difficult to MASTER amongst all 17 basic weapons. It is also the only one that can counter all the other weapons without being disadvantaged. (Meaning, the sword doesnt' necessarily have the advantage, but it can counter everything else.)

    During war times, a sword was a necessity for martial artists as it was the most versatile weapon.

    Just some things I've heard.

  13. #13
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    You forgot -TAMING, CC.
    Make that Demon-Taming.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  14. #14
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    From what I was told by many Martial Art practitioners:

    During war times, a sword was a necessity for martial artists as it was the most versatile weapon.

    Just some things I've heard.
    The sword was never a major weapon in organised warfare. For most of the pre-gunpowder age, well drilled and tightly packed spearmen was the integral component of infantry.

    The swing radius of a longsword precludes its usage in organised mass infantry formations. When it was used, the short stabbing version was preferred (e.g. the Roman legions).

    Even the famous Samurai relied on Spears and Bows on the battlefield. The sword was more ceremonial.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    XF is suppose to be proficient with anything, even if he's never learned it, so i wouldn't think he'd have a hard time.

    Oh c'mon! He was supposed to master any martial art almost immediately but being proficient without learning it is rather impossible.

    Xiao Feng also noted that the 'masked man' showed far far greater skill in using a whip compared to himself.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  16. #16
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Oh c'mon! He was supposed to master any martial art almost immediately but being proficient without learning it is rather impossible.
    In this context, I believe "proficient" means only "able to use the sword competently," not becoming a great master of the sword.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    Hmm, there is Demon Taming and also Tiger Taming. Are there any other "Taming" Shaolin kungfus? Dragon Taming perhaps?

  18. #18
    Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    currently in malaysia
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    i think the sword is the basic weapon for all martial arts schools. so everyone knows a bit of swordplay.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

  19. #19
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    Most sects have their own swordplay and sword techniques. It seems bringing a sword along symbolises heroism and loyalty or something like that.

    Does Shaolin have a sword-based martial arts in one of their Shaolin 72 Supreme Martial Arts? I think so.
    In the MMORPG Jin Yong Online, Shaolin has three levels of swordplay:-
    Basic skill is 1st-tier Lohan Jianfa
    with lvl 35 Lohan, you can learn 2nd-tier Damo Jianfa
    with lvl 50 Damo Jianfa, you can learn 3rd-tier Fumo Jianfa

    Of course, at the next level everything progresses into the pole and after that to the JiMieZhao claw (which doesn't even exist in JY novels). All the fun names are in the 1st 3 tiers.

  20. #20
    Senior Member sarakoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Where DO I live?
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey View Post
    Hmm, there is Demon Taming and also Tiger Taming. Are there any other "Taming" Shaolin kungfus? Dragon Taming perhaps?
    Of course there is, Qin Long Shou.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-13-15, 12:51 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-04-10, 09:28 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-08, 12:10 AM
  4. The top weapons, sword skill, palm, knife, internal and so on
    By jue shi hao jian in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-11-05, 10:56 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-05, 11:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •