View Poll Results: Click to all that applies to you

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a faithful reader of the fan-fic forum (and gives feedback too)

5 21.74%
  • I'm a silent reader (invisble reader ,leaves no comments )

11 47.83%
  • I don't read fan-fics/original fictions at all

4 17.39%
  • I read and write fan-fics featured here at the forum and SPCNET site

5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Reading Fanfics @ SPCNET (Written poll)

Question Reading Fanfics @ SPCNET (Written poll)

Since the forum allows us to see how many people have visited our threads, including our fanfics, I'd like to take a poll on reading fanfics.

1) How many of you read the fan-fics written here?

2)How many of you are silent readers? And why do you keep silent? The writers' biggest encouragement to continue writing comes from you, therefore, its neccessary to get readers feedback.

3) How many of you refrain from reading fanfics until the fan-fic is complete?

4) What types of fan-fic do you like to read?Genre?

5) Do you like long or short chapters? Short stories or chapter fanfics?

More questions to be expected.

I know there's a poll, but its encouraged that you post up your answers to these questions because I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Be aware that this is a multiple choices poll, so click to all that applies to you only.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 05-02-07 at 05:57 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Hmm...I guess, people don't like to reply.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Since the forum allows us to see how many people have visited our threads, including our fanfics, I'd like to take a poll on reading fanfics.

I think I might've read one or two. Mostly wuxia or sci-fi/fantasy, not really my genre.

2)How many of you are silent readers? And why do you keep silent? The writers' biggest encouragement to continue writing comes from you, therefore, its neccessary to get readers feedback.

I understand, but most of the time it's hard to find what to say in the first place.

Yes, because authors often like to give up and then I'm left wondering what would eventually happen.

Suspense/Thriller/Psychological Drama/Romance (not sappy crap, but some would be interesting)/Comedy (smart comedy...not slapstick cutsy comedy)...yeah I know, I'm pretty picky

Depends..If it's draggy and overly descriptive, then long isn't good. But if it's packed w/ action, then I like longer. Both short stories and chapter fics are good. One-shots can be well done too.

I know there's a poll, but its encouraged that you post up your answers to these questions because I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Be aware that this is a multiple choices poll, so click to all that applies to you only.
    Seeing as I'm procrastinating from studying anymore..meh I'll do it. Answers above:

1. i read if they are consistent.
    2. we read in silence, so that is why we are silent readers
    4. anything...
    5. size/length doesnt matter

1. I sure do.

2.This i too think should change. The reason for this still eludes me.

3.This again is a bad habit of readers, we tend to prefer to read it in one go rather than wait for the irregular updates ( pardon me)

4.Wuxia all the way for me.

5.It does'nt matter as long as the story is long.

honestly, i dont really read the fan fics here. *shelds myself from the writers*
    im not saying that they are bad or anything, and ive seen some mighty long ones from Ken the mod that really deeply impress me like whoa! but most of the fanfics are wuxia related and i dont really know anything about it.

i <3 spcnet and i post the most in this forum as opposed to others but wuxia.. im really clueless about it. yea. thats my 2 cents. please dont bash me for not understanding wuxia. maybe if there was more romance/ action/ real people based fanfics, i would read more here.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

Smile

I guess I will try to answer #2. I think most people write comments on fanfics if they either (1)love the fanfic, (2)want to persuade the author to change or add something, or (3)hate it. Of the three reasons given above, the majority of readers probably leave comments because of (2). They want the author to make some sort of change in the storyline, to encourage the author to focus more on certain characters, or want the author to create a romantic relationship between two of their favorite characters. Speaking from personal experience, those are the comments I see most often for my story. I usually get a sheepish reader pop up once in while via the comment board or email, who admit that they were silent readers but just had to say something now because I killed off their favorite gal or guy in the story, for example. Then, there is a small percentage of comments from readers who leave brief, complimentary notes telling me that I have done a nice job and asking for updates. Finally, once in a blue moon, I get a very analytical reader who takes the time to tell me their every thought on the story. From these readers, I get a full page on what they liked about the plot, which characters they love/hate, their predictions on the future of each character, and constructive criticism. Thankfully, I have not received hate mail. I suspect people who hate a certain fanfic are too polite to bash it. After all, we're all very civilized, polite people here. They probably just stop reading it after a few glances. Now, that still leaves a large population of silent readers out there. They probably don't fit into any of the three categories above or do not feel strongly enough about the fanfic to comment on it. And hence, they just read and go...until one day, the author does something to their favorite character (or favorite couple) that ticks them off. Then, they show the author that they are very much an active reader. I am guilty of being that kind of reader...

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa View Post
    honestly, i dont really read the fan fics here. *shelds myself from the writers*
    im not saying that they are bad or anything, and ive seen some mighty long ones from Ken the mod that really deeply impress me like whoa! but most of the fanfics are wuxia related and i dont really know anything about it.

i <3 spcnet and i post the most in this forum as opposed to others but wuxia.. im really clueless about it. yea. thats my 2 cents. please dont bash me for not understanding wuxia. maybe if there was more romance/ action/ real people based fanfics, i would read more here.
    You should go to Soompi or Shoebox..lots of good fanfics there.

i read fanfric mostly wuxia ancient.i comment sometimes but mostly just keeep reading without comments.i like good storyline and good martial arts story so i can read it completely if both the conditions are met.short or long doesnt really matter to me but i prefer long stories.
    Last edited by maverick; 10-15-07 at 01:31 PM.

Dude, talk about delayed responses. I created this thread back in May and now five months later y'all decide to reply.

Dude, talk about delayed responses. I created this thread back in May and now five months later y'all decide to reply.

That's SPCNET for ya, dear.
    I'm option 2: silent reader. And I'd be dead before I actually comment on someone's story.

Sweetheart, from this, we can clearly tell that, everyone chose option b: Silent reader
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I'm option 2: silent reader. And I'd be dead before I actually comment on someone's story.
    ceh....i thought i saw your screen name somewhere in Ken's thread

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c View Post
    ceh....i thought i saw your screen name somewhere in Ken's thread
    I don't think I commented on the story, it was a comment on one of the actress that he is basing his character on.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I don't think I commented on the story, it was a comment on one of the actress that he is basing his character on.
    oh well, keep him busy....i havent finished the first century yet

I'm formerly "...a faithful reader of the fan-fic forum (and gives feedback too)" but due to time constraint, I now "...don't read fan-fics/original fictions at all".
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

sorry out of question, we can post fics at story vault right? im writing one on a game i played, its in the story vault right now. but theres just a short intro and a prologue, which i had to put under chap 1.
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others