Thread: Yeung Teet Sum vs. just *one* Yellow River Ghost

Default Yeung Teet Sum vs. just *one* Yellow River Ghost

In LOCH, Yeung Teet Sum was awesome in battle against soldiers, but he seemed to fold faster than a cheap tent against any actual wulin fighter. Could he beat *anybody* from wulin, however? Maybe just *one* Yellow River Ghost? Maybe just one no-name Beggar's Union lackey? Somebody other than soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In LOCH, Yeung Teet Sum was awesome in battle against soldiers, but he seemed to fold faster than a cheap tent against any actual wulin fighter. Could he beat *anybody* from wulin, however? Maybe just *one* Yellow River Ghost? Maybe just one no-name Beggar's Union lackey? Somebody other than soldiers?
    Actually I had this impression that if Guo Xiaotian and Yang Tiexin team up, they could possibly defeat the four of them.
    ..ext88

Still curious about this after many years. Anyone else have any other observations or opinions to offer?

Yang Tiexin wasn't that bad. Even Qiu Chuji praised his Yang Family Spear technique. And I think it was said that it cannot be defeated easily even by high level exponents (such as Qiu).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Yang Tiexin wasn't that bad. Even Qiu Chuji praised his Yang Family Spear technique. And I think it was said that it cannot be defeated easily even by high level exponents (such as Qiu).
    Qiu was able to defeat him instantly when he chose to, though. So I guess it was JY doing that misdirecting thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Qiu was able to defeat him instantly when he chose to, though. So I guess it was JY doing that misdirecting thing again.
    Maybe Yau Chui Gei was praising Yeung Teet Sum's spear technique the way a professional athlete would praise the skill of a talented junior high school athlete: "not in my class, but shows promise."

Maybe Yau Chui Gei was praising Yeung Teet Sum's spear technique the way a professional athlete would praise the skill of a talented junior high school athlete: "not in my class, but shows promise."
    Yeah it was something like that. I'm guessing he admired it more because of it's patriotic lineage than any actual power it possessed. If the same spear technique came from some villain I'm sure he'd scoff at it.

I think it was written somewhere that Yang Tiexin's spear technique was really good against soldiers, but because it was designed to be used on horseback there was virtually no footwork involved, and wouldn't stand a chance against anyone with proper martial arts training. I don't think Yang Tiexin could have beaten Jebeh or any of Genghis Khan's generals, and they were horribly beaten by the four ghosts. I suspect even a single ghost would prove too much for Yang.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I think it was written somewhere that Yang Tiexin's spear technique was really good against soldiers, but because it was designed to be used on horseback there was virtually no footwork involved, and wouldn't stand a chance against anyone with proper martial arts training. I don't think Yang Tiexin could have beaten Jebeh or any of Genghis Khan's generals, and they were horribly beaten by the four ghosts. I suspect even a single ghost would prove too much for Yang.
    I can understand a martial art skill's being primarily suited for horseback combat, but what I don't understand is the reason that the creator of the skill would be so self-limiting. Even the best cavalrymen understand that they won't necessarily always be on horseback when the enemy attacks. They need to be prepared to fight as infantrymen in an emergency, and must have the skills to at least hold their own momentarily as infantry in the event that their horses are incapacitated or otherwise unavailable.

Moreover, Yeung Teet Sum was not on horseback during any of his fights in LOCH, but he managed to do reasonably well against opponents who weren't stronger than he (mostly soldiers, of course).

I can understand a martial art skill's being primarily suited for horseback combat, but what I don't understand is the reason that the creator of the skill would be so self-limiting. Even the best cavalrymen understand that they won't necessarily always be on horseback when the enemy attacks. They need to be prepared to fight as infantrymen in an emergency, and must have the skills to at least hold their own momentarily as infantry in the event that their horses are incapacitated or otherwise unavailable.

Moreover, Yeung Teet Sum was not on horseback during any of his fights in LOCH, but he managed to do reasonably well against opponents who weren't stronger than he (mostly soldiers, of course).
    Maybe soldiers are trained to use something else if they need to fight on foot, like an extra sword or something? The spear skill also probably didn't have any internal or lightness foundation to it, and was just a superior grunt skillset. The orthodox sects are all proud that their martial arts cultivation comprises a very solid foundation in internal energy and footwork, and even the lowliest martial artist with a teacher who actually knows martial arts is probably going to be a much better allround fighter than Yang Tiexin. I'm not sure if he'll really lose to, say, one of Ouyang Ke's girls, but if OYK really did teach them a trick or two Yang isn't likely to find the going easy, and might even lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Maybe soldiers are trained to use something else if they need to fight on foot, like an extra sword or something? The spear skill also probably didn't have any internal or lightness foundation to it, and was just a superior grunt skillset. The orthodox sects are all proud that their martial arts cultivation comprises a very solid foundation in internal energy and footwork, and even the lowliest martial artist with a teacher who actually knows martial arts is probably going to be a much better allround fighter than Yang Tiexin. I'm not sure if he'll really lose to, say, one of Ouyang Ke's girls, but if OYK really did teach them a trick or two Yang isn't likely to find the going easy, and might even lose.
    Yeah...I think it was the lack of inner power and hing gung that really limited what Yeung Teet Sum could do. There was nothing wrong with the Yeung Family Spear Technique...it was a very good weapons technique, though it couldn't compete with top-shelf weapons techniques such as the Dog Beating Stick Technique. If Yeung Teet Sum had the inner power and hing gung level of, say, Ohr Jen Ngok, he might not necessarily lose to Ohr.

Even as an infantry. You're fighting next to other soldiers in formation. Elaborate footwork isn't the highest priority. You don't see Greek Phalanxes dancing circles around battle. It's either charge, flank or retreat.