Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MP3/MP4 player

Senior Member f.alchemist_freak's Avatar

Default MP3/MP4 player

now that we can all listen to music & watch videos on our hp, is mp3 player still worth to buy?
    which mp3 player brand is good nowadays? (i mean other than i-pod)
    Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by f.alchemist_freak View Post
    now that we can all listen to music & watch videos on our hp, is mp3 player still worth to buy?
    which mp3 player brand is good nowadays? (i mean other than i-pod)
    Sony, Creative and Iriver are some good alternatives to iPod.
    I use my mobile or PSP when i want mp3 on the move.

EDIT: some tart told me what HP stands for - hand phone
    Last edited by NetDriftr; 05-10-07 at 11:35 PM.
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

ipod is the best... best warranty
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Depending on what you are looking for in an mp3 player, ipod may not be the best brand for everybody. If you just want a player for listen to music and nothing else, ipod is ideal... but not if you want recording function, radio and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr View Post
    Sony, Creative and Iriver are some good alternatives to iPod.
    I use my mobile or PSP when i want mp3 on the move.

never heard of Iriver. Ipod feel kinda flimsy - like it can break easily if i sit on it or something.

ipod is crap, i don't understand why people would buy one, it's expensive and the dang thing don't even have FM (talk about shitty gear)... they look nice but so are alot of the new players, not sure if you're gonna be watching movies on these thing, it takes conversion and that tend to be troublesome with the preping process.

I like creative, they have a good range of players, if you want something that plays video, go for a mutimedia handheld, and not an mp3 player. something like this

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...2855107#review

only 4GB...

the iriver is about the same but it takes SD cards, so you can add another 4GB... for a regular mp3 players i would get around 2GB, for something that plays video, i would get about 8-10GB..

PSP and DS can also plays mp3, but when i pick up any of those i rather play games than listen to music. it don't work like that lol. phones i think that's an iffy issue, i don't think they work well as mp3 players either.

iriver is one of the 1st company that made portable mp3 players (dating back to the date of the CD/mp3 players)... actually they were a part of a bigger company that splits soon after mp3 was introduce, they are regarded as the top dog in the mp3 world with some very popular players among the geeks for a long time, chicks and dumbasses just buy ipod instead....

i wouldn't worry about waranty, electronic breaks when people are being dumb when they use them, there's a certain way to rough them up without breaking them, you just have to deal with them alot to get the idea

ex: mp3 players HDD base, don't have that crap on and start running like you're on crack, it'll gonna *** up the HDD. other than that if it's relatively still, you can sit on it and nothing would happen
    mp3 player flash base: these are tougher, don't throw it in water or drop it down the stairs you'll be fine
    motherboards: try to ground yourself out before touching one, these thing get short out real easy
    ect... ect...

the point is that the warranty is a waste of money, i have had over 15 different mp3 players, i just get tired of them and buy new ones once in a while, sometimes just for fun i boot all of them up, still works lol, they range from HDD base to flash base. the only one i broke is the one i drop from stone stairs in school (rolled about 20 feet down) still works but i turned it off and it never get back on again.
    Last edited by warlock110; 05-12-07 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by f.alchemist_freak View Post
    never heard of Iriver. Ipod feel kinda flimsy - like it can break easily if i sit on it or something.
    You tried?

ipods do break easily... but in most cases it's because people put them through the washing (...) or they don't remove it from the computer properly.

ipods are good for the joneses who just wants what the other jones has.. and for people who are clueless about connecting devices to the computer
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

i like these too much for me but if you have money it's pretty cool to wip out one of these
    Archos 700
    http://www.amazon.com/Archos-Mobile-.../dp/B0009N7OK2

dude ipod is great... like before i had a 2nd generation 40 gigs ipod, but the screen cracked when i dropped it. i went back to the apple store to see wat i can do, i told 1 of the employee and showed me receipt, and they just gave a brand new 3rd generation 40 gigs ipod to me. and honestly, who would listen to the fm when u have mp3s that u like on it. m3 files are way clearer than radio and songsi n the radio u probably dont even like. also theres no other mp3 players than can hold 40 gigs. i watch series on my ipod sometimes when im outside of my dorm and have nothing to do, its so convienent.

Ipods are the best!

anyone say otherwise prob got a personal vendetta against apple or to cheap that they cant afford one.

Now im just waiting for the Iphone to replace my current ipod.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

iPod can do recording and play FM radio definitely Just that u need an extra remote control attached to one of the plug holes on the iPod and the remote is not bulky at all..iPod Video screen is deinitely cool - Clear and Big

They have more EQs selections to choose from as well and the difference is clear and good.I'm sure many will know the competition is always a par fight between iPod and Creative.iPod for quality deliver but price ex while Creative for gd price and function but not as good quality deliver compared to iPod.***Quality deliver includes screen quality playback.Both have good warranty services in anycase

Iriver?Samsung?Their mp3/mp4 player still needa do more catching up

Maybe i'm not familiar with the ipod version/editions, but i do not recall a 40GB ipod video.. the 5th generation Ipod video are 30/60GB... again i'm curious to know if they ever made a 40GB video ipod (link would be nice).... only one i've seen is the 30/80GB version... They did made 40Gb version but that doesn't have the video capacity.

1) I'll disregard the format capacity of the ipod because it does play alot of format that i know people usually use, but I'm almost sure that it does not drag/drop like the other players, instead you go through some software like itune to transfer files into ipod, I've had the rio players that does this, it's completely crap... and i'm not trying to be a *****, but that shit is annoying. that's only for music, for video i think the process is a little more annoying.

2) the issue of no FM, again i'm sorry that FM doesn't sound as clear as mp3 or w/e format you use (no duh). but it's the content that people listen to FM, the cycling of songs in your ipod gets really boring, and FM provides new music / shows that you can listen to. or else no one listen to radio because the quality is crap. The ability to play FM is there, and that gives you another option. and YES i love the add on that the ipod does to get FM, everyone loves to lug around an extra POS because they hate built in stuff.

3) Screen size/price.. for the price of that Ipod video 30/80GB you can always pick up something that's better with a larger screen size... the 2.5" on the ipod is a laugh, i have a cheapo Mp4 player that's the same screen size, 4GB and it only cost me 80 bucks. it ain't no ipod but it's hella alot cheaper, and smaller too lol. and before someone started on the size of the device, when you have a low resolution/small screen like that, the video size does not get big, i would know, cuzz i put videos in my players too.

4) The HDD of the ipod, ipod do make the nano which is a flash base, but let's be honest here, HDD base player chances to break vs a solid state one is quite big, again, i've broken a few HDD, i know lol. it's all in the law of physics, you have a motor spinning and a head reading the platter, the head ain't that big (consider the dam drive is only 2.5", you move around, run aorund, what do you think will happen? hense the new trend is that flash drive are pushing the limits to 8GB+, they've realized what consumer realized, with the small screen, there's no need for a 20GB drive, no one ever fill it up, it gets very hard to pick music, organization is a ***** ect ect...

5) people who buys ipod is because it's "cool", i don't think anyone buys it for it's functionality. on a serious note, if it's 100 bucks for the 80GB video i would buy one so i can look cool, but 350+ tax? i don't think so, i bought my 32" LCD 720P in my room for 450, and i think that was a better investment lol.

final note: for mp3 players, i feel alot safer with a flash base player because i lug it around, and eventually i'll bump it somewhere or drop it and also i can chuck it on my bed/sofa without worrying, i like the option to have FM, plays video, drag/drop for convient purpose, i also like it hovering around the 8GB area for safe measure, i've never had more than 4GB in a player before, mp3 in 160 bitrate are 5MB a song, 1GB = 200 songs, 4 GB = 800, i would perfer not to browse through 800 to get a song, that's why organization on small players are much better. best of all i like it under 150, because technology moves everyday, there's better stuff out, hell, i want it under 100... something you can invest in a portable player is a set of headphone/earphone, the ones that comes with it is usually crap., the creative EP630 is a good pair under 50, and the shure series are a step up but they cost more than the ipod so i usually don't touch it.

BTW, my DS lite can do all the things the Ipod does, WITH DUAL SCREEN that's bigger, cost me 130 bucks when it came out, but that's takes some modding and work, so that's why i don't wanna say anything about that. Oh and the DS lite does play DS games too. and i don't think i'm too poor to aford an ipod, atleast i like to think so. but as i said before, i rather drop 700 bucks on a laptop, 450 bucks on a 32" LCD, 400 bucks on my duals LCD computer setup, 1000 bucks for my computer sound system, 1200 for my computer, but i will not drop 350 on an ipod.

the Archos 604 is hovering at around 300 right now, 30GB, 4.3" screen (in terms of screen, 4.3" is ALOT bigger than 2.5"), touch screen + wifi, and all the other stuff that ipod don't have. i would buy that if i have enough money.
    1 more thing, the only ipod you can pocket is the nano. the rest of them is too big, it's like lugging around a digital camera, you simply cannot pocket these things. that's why flash drive base player are more convient, most of the 4-8GB one is the size of the nano (with bigger screen than the ipod video) and you can still pocket them.
    Last edited by warlock110; 05-12-07 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    Maybe i'm not familiar with the ipod version/editions, but i do not recall a 40GB ipod video.. the 5th generation Ipod video are 30/60GB... again i'm curious to know if they ever made a 40GB video ipod (link would be nice).... only one i've seen is the 30/80GB version... They did made 40Gb version but that doesn't have the video capacity.

1) I'll disregard the format capacity of the ipod because it does play alot of format that i know people usually use, but I'm almost sure that it does not drag/drop like the other players, instead you go through some software like itune to transfer files into ipod, I've had the rio players that does this, it's completely crap... and i'm not trying to be a *****, but that shit is annoying. that's only for music, for video i think the process is a little more annoying.

2) the issue of no FM, again i'm sorry that FM doesn't sound as clear as mp3 or w/e format you use (no duh). but it's the content that people listen to FM, the cycling of songs in your ipod gets really boring, and FM provides new music / shows that you can listen to. or else no one listen to radio because the quality is crap. The ability to play FM is there, and that gives you another option. and YES i love the add on that the ipod does to get FM, everyone loves to lug around an extra POS because they hate built in stuff.

3) Screen size/price.. for the price of that Ipod video 30/80GB you can always pick up something that's better with a larger screen size... the 2.5" on the ipod is a laugh, i have a cheapo Mp4 player that's the same screen size, 4GB and it only cost me 80 bucks. it ain't no ipod but it's hella alot cheaper, and smaller too lol. and before someone started on the size of the device, when you have a low resolution/small screen like that, the video size does not get big, i would know, cuzz i put videos in my players too.

4) The HDD of the ipod, ipod do make the nano which is a flash base, but let's be honest here, HDD base player chances to break vs a solid state one is quite big, again, i've broken a few HDD, i know lol. it's all in the law of physics, you have a motor spinning and a head reading the platter, the head ain't that big (consider the dam drive is only 2.5", you move around, run aorund, what do you think will happen? hense the new trend is that flash drive are pushing the limits to 8GB+, they've realized what consumer realized, with the small screen, there's no need for a 20GB drive, no one ever fill it up, it gets very hard to pick music, organization is a ***** ect ect...

5) people who buys ipod is because it's "cool", i don't think anyone buys it for it's functionality. on a serious note, if it's 100 bucks for the 80GB video i would buy one so i can look cool, but 350+ tax? i don't think so, i bought my 32" LCD 720P in my room for 450, and i think that was a better investment lol.

final note: for mp3 players, i feel alot safer with a flash base player because i lug it around, and eventually i'll bump it somewhere or drop it and also i can chuck it on my bed/sofa without worrying, i like the option to have FM, plays video, drag/drop for convient purpose, i also like it hovering around the 8GB area for safe measure, i've never had more than 4GB in a player before, mp3 in 160 bitrate are 5MB a song, 1GB = 200 songs, 4 GB = 800, i would perfer not to browse through 800 to get a song, that's why organization on small players are much better. best of all i like it under 150, because technology moves everyday, there's better stuff out, hell, i want it under 100... something you can invest in a portable player is a set of headphone/earphone, the ones that comes with it is usually crap., the creative EP630 is a good pair under 50, and the shure series are a step up but they cost more than the ipod so i usually don't touch it.

BTW, my DS lite can do all the things the Ipod does, WITH DUAL SCREEN that's bigger, cost me 130 bucks when it came out, but that's takes some modding and work, so that's why i don't wanna say anything about that. Oh and the DS lite does play DS games too. and i don't think i'm too poor to aford an ipod, atleast i like to think so. but as i said before, i rather drop 700 bucks on a laptop, 450 bucks on a 32" LCD, 400 bucks on my duals LCD computer setup, 1000 bucks for my computer sound system, 1200 for my computer, but i will not drop 350 on an ipod.

the Archos 604 is hovering at around 300 right now, 30GB, 4.3" screen (in terms of screen, 4.3" is ALOT bigger than 2.5"), touch screen + wifi, and all the other stuff that ipod don't have. i would buy that if i have enough money.
    1 more thing, the only ipod you can pocket is the nano. the rest of them is too big, it's like lugging around a digital camera, you simply cannot pocket these things. that's why flash drive base player are more convient, most of the 4-8GB one is the size of the nano (with bigger screen than the ipod video) and you can still pocket them.
    actually my ipod has 60 gig w/ video. i bought a new one cause my 40 gig one didnt have video, so i sold it on ebay for 200 my 60 gig w/ video costed 300, but i had student discount, so it was 250 + tax. also having a ipod does not make u cool, no idea where u got that from. i'll agree with ur other points tho.

the 4GB mezu is as close to the nano as you can get, the 4GB nano is 200 bucks, the mezu is 99 dollars

same capacity but the mezu plays video + FM and you have all the convient of playing stuff that does not need to convert (all video on ipod will need conversion of some sort), conversion does help with file size due to the resolution, but if you're in a hurry, 4GB = 5 full lengh movies in regular DVD resolution and you still have some storage for mp3 (about 500MB), that should be enough on the go. and the screen is bigger than the nano ...

only draw back: no SD card expansion. that sucks balls, IMO the 8GB range is the best, 4GB i'm still a little skeptical (although i'm fine with 10 of my players under 2GB, they only play music though, i don't feel that there's enough space for movies if it's under 2GB, 4GB is reallly really cliff hanging, 6-8 is safe )

here's the white 4GB mezu
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod2855108
    i think it's pretty slick looking.

ipods are for people who wanna look cool (look at all the white chick with ipod, it's almost an association chick = ipod), i'll admit the dang thing is very nice looking, it's sleek and simple, one of the best design i've seen in years, however the newer line of players from other company are "borrowing" the look, this is why now ipod has lost it's appeal to me. the iriver are pretty dam good too, but they also carry a brand like ipod (not as much), so their price is still stiffer than the competition.

random thought, i might pick the meizu up. i like it, just waiting for my rebate check to come n i'll pick it up haha.
    Last edited by warlock110; 05-12-07 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    actually my ipod has 60 gig w/ video. i bought a new one cause my 40 gig one didnt have video, so i sold it on ebay for 200 my 60 gig w/ video costed 300, but i had student discount, so it was 250 + tax. also having a ipod does not make u cool, no idea where u got that from. i'll agree with ur other points tho.
    a student discount?! how'd yu get that?
    and even tho yu havent heard of iRiver, their players are pretty good. i guess i doesnt really matter what player yu use because they all function the same. it just depends on what yu prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa View Post
    a student discount?! how'd yu get that?
    and even tho yu havent heard of iRiver, their players are pretty good. i guess i doesnt really matter what player yu use because they all function the same. it just depends on what yu prefer.
    generally in university, they have stocks of apple stuff that don't sell, and they stock new stuff in, they'll sell it to student for a discount... (laptops, desktop, ipods ect... ect..) i just don't touch apple stuff, but they do have sales like that.

had just checked some of iriver products - and I've already fallen in love with a couple of them. but the price is really quite steep. I think creative have some of the more affordable products. I'm thinking bout getting zen microphoto. anyone owns one? is it good?
    btw - have u guys seen creative zen stone? the price is like "wow". it's suppose to rival ipod shuffle.

darn yu college people! yu and yur discounts lol. j/k!
    does anyone have a microsoft zune? i only know one person who has it -_- and it was such a big deal for microsoft to release them as a rival to the ipod. they can share songs wirelessly... but that the only good feature i see in them.

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa View Post
    darn yu college people! yu and yur discounts lol. j/k!
    does anyone have a microsoft zune? i only know one person who has it -_- and it was such a big deal for microsoft to release them as a rival to the ipod. they can share songs wirelessly... but that the only good feature i see in them.
    the sandra came out with player with wifi too, they don't help much when there's not a large base user, wifi / P2P only works well when there's alot of people, if they start selling them at 20 bucks a pop i think it'll be great for consumer. that's probably about 200 years from now haha.

like i said, the meizu i linked above is pretty dam good for 99 bucks, it's totally worth the money, the nano sitting pretty @ over 150 cant' do 1/2 the stuff it does.