Thread: The Veil of Destiny (The Three Kingdoms)

Default The Veil of Destiny (The Three Kingdoms)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i14.tinypic.com/2i8ddsj.jpg')

featuring...

Raymond Lam as Wei Yan 魏延 / Er Lang Shen 二郎神
    Tavia Yeung as Zhuge Wan 诸葛弯
    Benny Chan as Zhuge Liang 诸葛亮 / Huang Xiao Yu 黄小鱼
    Nancy Wu as Sheh Bai Ying 蛇柏营
    Gao Yuan Yuan as Huang Yue Ying 黄月英
    `
    `
    `
    In the game of war, there is never a real victor. Even if one was to win, he too will have to suffer, whether it be the loss of his loved ones, the lost of many men, or maybe even his own integrity.

Two lovers separated by two realms, will they ever find their way back together or will she be forever forgotten in his heart?

He never believed in love, he was never meant to love until he met her. Only then did he realize what true happiness was, but is their love strong enough to stir the hearts of the many immortals? Is it powerful enough to overcome the obstacles between heaven and earth? Will it obliterate the barrier between men and gods?

Between his past self and his present self… between a woman from the past and a woman of the present… which one is he and who is the one he love most?

The battles that decide the fate of the country will bring loss to many. Men may do their planning, but the real question is, is fate on their side? In the end, who will be victorious? And who will be brought to their downfall?

The answers to these many questions… only destiny knows… Through time, everything will be reveal… and that very veil shall be open…

The Veil of Destiny

[Quotes]
    "In reality, the hero may not always be the hero and the villain may not always be the villain."

"In politics, there is no good or evil, no right or wrong, only tactics and power."

"One may do his planning, but fate decides whether he will succeed..." -Zhuge Liang

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i9.tinypic.com/4xo3ndw.jpg ')

[credits]

A fanfiction by Kaiyi and Emilyy © 2006-2007
    Many thanks to GeQian of immortality.reiku.org for the beautiful poster

[Authors' Note] Not only will this fanfic be a historical one, it will be a fantasy that includes gods, goddesses and even devils. Kaiyi and I will try our best to note all the historical events and people along with our fantasies.

Hope you'll support and enjoy. =]
    Last edited by babiadorkable; 07-29-07 at 03:21 PM.
    www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy8 [Raymond Lam, Bosco Wong, Ron Ng]

www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy5 [oneshots]

Default Prologue

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i7.tinypic.com/4yi2f5e.jpg')
    Er Lang Shen... Raymond Lam
    Huang Xiao Yu... Benny Chan
    Sheh Bai Ying... Nancy Wu
    Sheh Bai Yun... Sonija Kwok

`
    The sun shone brightly over the open field. Suddenly, a tremendously strong gust of wind blew in series of dark clouds shrouding the once vivid sun. Shadows of darkness canopied the field that once sparkled with sunshine. On that open field, a young man and woman scurried away as if they tried to escape from the overlapping shadows of the clouds.

Lighting raged across the gloomy darkness. Roars of thunder could be heard as the pair of lover ran for their lives. Even though the chance of escaping heaven's palm was slim, they could care less, for their love for each other was undying.

The young woman took quick glance at her love as they ran. Never had she expected to fall in love with a son of heaven, the river god, Huang Xiao Yu.

"Xiao Yu, why must we keep running away like this?!" she asked.

"There is no other choice! This is our only hope. Bai Ying, we have gone through so much already. Please don't give up now," he told her. She stared at him and nodded for he was right, heaven wouldn't let them be. It was against the rules for a god to fall in love, not to mention falling in love with a demon.

Right after they resumed running, their path was suddenly barricaded by a lake that slowly materialized in front of them. Bai Ying stared at the water with trepidation. She knew she couldn't go near it, for it was her greatest weakness.

Xiao Yu stared at his love and sensed her thoughts. The two quickly turned to their left and was astounded to find that two large mountains suddenly appeared and their path was block. To their left, a dense forest emerged. Then above them was a fierce dragon roaming across the dark clouds.

"Xiao Yu, we are trap, there's no other possible way for us to escape," gasped Bai Ying as she grasped tightly onto his hands. Xiao Yu stared at her troubled face. He knew she was right, but he couldn't give up. There must be another way.

"I won't let anything happen to you. Come on!" said Xiao Yu as he held her hand tightly and headed toward the lake. Bai Ying instantly pulled him back before she touched water.

"Xiao Yu, I'm a snake. You know water is my greatest weakness," she said. Indeed he had known, but his mind was so occupied at the time that it was impossible for him to focus.

"Then we can cross those mountains," he said and pulled her toward the mountains.

"Huang Xiao Yu, you have no other route to go. Give up this instance," hollered a thundering voice before they had the chance to continue.

Xiao Yu and Bai Ying stopped in their tracks and turned around. An army of a thousand emerged out of the water and stood before them. Leading the army was Er Lang Shen, the three eye god. His right hand held his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife ( San Jian Liang Ren Dao), and on his left stood his dog, Xiao Tian Quan, who growled angrily at the couple.

Xiao Yu and Bai Ying eyes heaped with fear as they held on tightly to each other. They slowly took a step back. Before they realized, a current of the water pushed a wave onto shore and stroked against Bai Ying's foot, causing her to flinch.

"Huang Xiao Yu, in order of the Jade Emperor, you need to come with me back to heaven!" Er Lang Shen growled.

"I will never go back with you!" Xiao Yu retorted as he clutched tightly on to Bai Ying.

"Huang Xiao Yu, you have broken the rules of Heaven. Gods aren‘t meant to love!" stated Er Lang Shen as he pointed to Bai Ying, who glared back with enmity.

"I know what I‘ve done. No matter what you say, I cannot go with you," he replied in a solemn tone.

"Then don't blame me for using force," Er Lang Shen declared as he lifted his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife towards the couple.
    Bai Ying gazed at Xiao Yu. "Xiao Yu, I will fight by your side till death," she reassured him. He looked at her and nodded.

"You've left me no choice," Er Lang Shen said displeasingly as he ordered his soldiers to attack.

Huang Xiao Yu and Sheh Bai Yin attempted to fight off the heaven's army for three days and three nights straight. During these three days, thunder could be heard and lighting could be heard across the dark sky. However, nearby villagers were unaware of this whole event. Even though it was all so suspicious, no logic could explain what was going on. To them, it was just another storm, for the battle scenes were not visible to mortals.

After the intense battle, many of heaven's soldiers were injured by the two's attacks. Seeing that there was no other choice, Er Lang Shen knew he had to join the battle himself.

With his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife, he charged at Xiao Yu, who was occupied with the soldiers. Seeing that her love was endangered, Bai Ying quickly leaped over, attempting to knock the knife out of the three eyes god's hand.

Seeing her racing toward him, he swiped his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife across Bai Ying's hip level. She managed to dodge it and immediately released a storm of scales towards Er Lang Shen. He pushed them out of his way with ease by blocking them with his weapon.

Since Bai Ying was tired after the three days long battle, she could no longer pull off strong offensive attack and stopped her series of attacks. Er Lang Shen took the chance and palmed a force of inner strength toward her. Caught off guard and being unable to dodge, she was knocked onto her back. She struggled to get up but no longer had the strength.
    Er Lang Shen shot his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife toward Bai Ying. She could not move. She didn't know how to dodge this. Her life seemed to race pass her at the moment. She closed her eyes and waited for the arrival of her death.

"Bai Ying!" cried Xiao Yu as he became aware of what was happening. He quickly pushed a stream of water towards the Three-Point Double-Blade Knife of Er Lang Shen's and knocked his weapon off to the side, barely missing Bai Ying.

Er Lang Shen diverted his attention toward him.

Even though he knew he was no match for Er Lang Shen, Xiao Yu was willing to fight as long as there was even the tiniest chance of survival with Bai Ying.

Er Lang Shen stroked his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife toward Xiao Yu, who dodged it and released needles of sharp icicles towards Er Lang Shen. Er Lang Shen blocked them gracefully and slowly approached him.

Seeing that his attacks weren't working, Xiao Yu tried to get closer and closer to Er Lang Shen. As soon as he got close enough, he blasted a powerful stream of water towards the Three-Point Double-Blade Knife. The pressure of the water pushed through Er Lang Shen's weapon and wetted his face. He quickly blinked and saw Xiao Yu's palm heading toward his way. He immediately dodged it and returned the attack. Xiao Yu fell to the ground as Er Lang Shen pulled out his rope ( kun xian suo ) and locked Xiao Yu within it. Xiao Yu struggled, but it was useless, for no one had ever escaped from the wrath of the kun xian sou.

"Xiao… Xiao Yu," Bai Ying cried faintly as she tried to reach her hand toward him.

"Bai Yi... Ying," Xiao Yu cried, his voice weak and hoarse. Er Lang Shen handed the captive to his men and approached Bai Ying with the intention to capture her.

Before he reached her, a sudden gust of white smoke infused the air and bounded the body of Bai Ying. After some of the smoke dispersed, another woman was sighted holding onto Bai Ying. She had a ferocious look on her face, her eyes filled with resentment as she glared into the eyes of Er Lang Shen.

"Big sister?" Bai Ying mumbled weakly as she struggled to widen her eyes.
    Er Land Shun was stunned. "Sheh Bai Yun?"

Bai Yun released another large poof of smoke into the air. Once the smoke dispersed, they were gone.

"Bai Ying…" Xiao Yu mumbled as he watched them disappear. He knew that he might never be able see her ever again. The pain in his body could no longer be felt, for the pain in his heart was much greater. But maybe this was for the best. At least Bai Ying wouldn't have to suffer from the wrath of heaven.

"They've escaped," Er Lang Shen uttered quietly. He turned around and faced his men. "Let us return to heaven."

High above the clouds, where no mortals could ever reach was the kingdom of heaven where all the gods and goddesses dwelled. In this kingdom, there was a king, The Jade Emperor who ruled over all the god and goddesses. Heaven was a strict place with many rules. However, it would always be full of joy and happiness.

Today, unlike the many others, the heaven's court that was located on the 9th level of heaven was filled with whispers and murmurs. All the gods wondered what was going to happen. They all knew of the story of Huang Xiao Yu and the white snake demon, Sheh Bai Ying.

There were many gods gathered in the royal hall. At the end of the red carpet, the end of the rows of god, sat the Jade Emperor in his golden Dragon Chair. Next to him on his right was his mother, the Jade Empress Dowager. All of them were waiting for the return of Er Lang Shen.

At last, Er Lang Shen entered with the tied up Xiao Yu on his right and Xiao Tian Quan by his left. He stopped before the Jade Emperor and forced Xiao Yu onto his knees. Xiao Yu looked up shamefully into the eyes of the Jade Emperor and stared at all the gods around him. Some that he had known, others that he had only heard of all surrounded him. All of them watched him with pity in their eyes. Xiao Yu lowered his head in humiliation.

"Jade Emperor, I have brought Huang Xiao Yu," said Er Lang Shen as he kowtowed to the emperor. The Jade Emperor nodded and Er Lang Shen stood along the carpet with the other gods.

The Jade Emperor slammed his hand onto the side of his golden chair with anger. "Huang Xiao Yu. You are a deity that guarded the Yellow River. Do you know what treacherous crime you have committed?"

Xiao Yu did not dare to lift up his head or bestow a single word to the emperor.

"Just two months ago, the portion of your river flooded, due to the act of the demons and you not being able to protect it. This mishap has caused the death of many mortals already. Thanks to the many gods who plead for you, you were given the chance to mend your mistake. But instead of doing so, you fell in love with a demon during that time! You know very well that love is an offense!" the Jade Emperor continued.

Xiao Yu raised his head and stared disappointedly at the Jade Emperor.
    "Why can't gods fall in love? You did and had many sons and daughters. Why can't other gods like us do so too? Is it because you are the Jade Emperor? Does the title of the Jade Emperor allow you to do everything that other gods can't?"

"You-- How dare you say such things?! Do you even know what you have done wrong?" the Jade Emperor hollered wrathfully.

"No! I do not know what I have done wrong because I didn't do anything wrong! What's wrong with loving someone? Mortals can do it, so why can't we? Why do you have to treat us the same way you did with Zhi Nu and Niu Lang?" Xiao Yu snapped back in anger.

"How dare you behave like this in front of me? Guards! Take him away and punished him with the mighty lighting!" growled the Jade Emperor. His eyes flared with fury.

"Jade Emperor, calm down," interrupted the Jade Empress Dowager,

"Huang Xiao Yu is still young. He doesn't know all the rules yet. I believe he can be remorse. Give him a chance."

"Yes Jade Emperor, please give him a chance. He's still young and mistakes like these are common for young gods," begged Cai Shen, the God of Wealth.

"Jade Emperor, please give him a chance," pleaded the rest of the ensemble in unison. Xiao Yu looked around confusedly at the crowd of people whom pleaded for him.

The Jade Emperor heaved a sigh, "Due to all the ones who are pleading for you, I'll make your punishment light. Er Lang Shen, I'll put him into your hands. Take him to Yan Luo (the god of death). He will be reincarnated into a poor family's household and live one life as a mortal. Then, he will return to his position as a guardian of the Yellow River."

"Yes, your highness," said Er Lang Shen.

"Reincarnate? No! I will not reincarnate! I'll lose my memory! I can't forget her! Please Jade Emperor! Please don't do this!" begged Xiao Yu.

"Everyone is dismissed," said the Jade Emperor as he left the place, ignoring Xiao Yu's words. Slowly, the other gods started to disperse.

"Please Jade Emperor! Please!" Xiao Yu cried as he laid on the ground with tears welding up in his eyes. Er Lang Shen barely looked at him.
    At the corner of Xiao Yu's eye, he saw Er Lang Shen standing there and watching with a solid face.

"Why must they do this to us?" Xiao Yu cried. This time there was no anger in his voice, only melancholy. Yet, Er Lang Shen chose to ignore him, as if he felt nothing at all.

The three-eyed god forced Xiao Yu to bow on his knees once again when they reached the underworld. Xiao Yu looked around the frightening place where ghostly sounds were heard and cadaverous faces were seen all over. The only colors that was visible were white, black, and green. There was no feeling of life here, only the feeling of death. He heard the bubbling sound of oil behind him, causing his fear to escalate

Xiao Yu looked up and saw Yan Luo, the king of the underworld. His face was full of darkness as he took his spot on the intimidating throne. Next to him stood Ox-Head and Horse-Face.

Terror shivered down Xiao Yu's spine as he closed his eyes and sobbed quietly.

"Meng Po, bring him his Five Flavored Tea of Forgetfulness," Yan Luo commanded.

"Yes, your highness," said Meng Po, the Lady of Forgetfulness.

"No! No I will not drink it! I can not forget Bai Ying! I can't! Please, please don't do this!" begged Xiao Yu.

"Hold him down and feed it to him," ordered Yan Luo.

"No! Please! No!" wept Xiao Yu as he struggled while Meng Po pour the tea down his throat. Xiao Yu could not retaliate. He plopped himself onto the ground.

"Bai Ying," he mumbled. Soon, all the memories of him and Sheh Bai Ying rushed pass him, leaving only hollowness. Bai Ying was obliterated from his heart.

Er Lang Shen watched the whole scene, his face still motionless.

"Er Lang Shen, the time is up. He has to go, and you must return to heaven," said Yan Luo. Er Lang Shen nodded and left without a trace.
    After his departure, Yan Luo used his spell to levitate Xiao Yu and brought him to the tunnels of reincarnation. Without hesitating, the little yellow fish went in and thus, Huang Xiao Yu has reincarnated.

hey nice fan fic. i like the characters and the plot (althought it seems a bit reused), but this is still pretty good. nancy wu w/ benny chan is a bit weird in terms of age, but its all good. o yea, i was just wondering if this story will have anything to do with wuxia later on.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

hey lunaR. thanks for reading. i guess there will be some wuxia in this story, but it's mainly based on what happened in the three kingdoms and magic. so... battle scenes (human, gods, devils), strategies, love, etc. but not really stuff from the jianghu. and yes benny and nancy does seem to have a wide age gap... but benny still looks so young and they both have those baby cheeks, therefore they seem good together. =D
    s.imple desires <-- click!

Default Interlude: The Birth of Zhuge Liang

Even though the Han Dynasty was slowly declining, it was just another normal day for the citizens in Yangdu County. It was the year of 181 A.D, marking the thirteenth year of the reign of Liu Hong, the twelfth emperor of the Eastern Han Dynasty. Although many citizens were displeased with their current emperor and his reckless ways, only few were brave enough to utter words of discourtesy about him, for the rest were afraid that their life would be at stake if they take such risk.
    A simple peasant walked through the crowded street after another long day of tedious work. Even though all this labor was not what he desired, he had no choice but to work his hardest in order to support his family, for his wife will soon have their second child.

"Mister! Please stop for a moment and let me tell you of your fortune!" a semi-god yelled as the peasant crossed his path. The peasant stopped in his tracks and turned around.

"Don't bother me with such nonsense! I am a busy person, I do not have time for such foolishness!" the peasant shouted at the semi god furiously with his disturbance.

"Nonsense? I only tell you what heaven had told me! From what I know, you are expecting a baby. Is that so?" the semi-god questioned. The peasant gaped as he heard his words.

"How do you know?" he asked curiously as he approached the semi-god.

The semi-god released a smile. "Ah, your baby will come today. He's a special child, I tell you. He will achieve great things one day. He will become a legend!"

"Today? Nonsense! My wife's not due for another two months!" the peasant shook his head and walked away as he believed that this man was just another con-artist trying to earn a living.

"Mister! I advise you to name your son Ah Liang, meaning bright! It will do your son good!" the semi-god yelled after the peasant who only kept walking away. The semi-god shook his head at the poor man's ignorance and disappeared.

The peasant walked farther and farther away from the semi-god. Soon, the loud noises of the city penetrated. The peasant, who was extremely exhausted, released a sigh of relief as he reached his tiny home. He could finally rest and consume the delicious soup that his wife would make for him every day.

"Father! Mother's having the baby!!!" a seven year old boy cried as he ran out of the house to inform his father.

"What?" the peasant muttered in shock as he rushed into the house. That man wasn’t lying… he was right… then could that mean…?

"Ah Gui! You have finally returned! Congratulation, your wife have given birth to another boy!" the birth mother squealed when she saw the peasant walk in. She held a young infant in her arms and handed the child to his father.

Ah Gui stared at his newborn son ecstatically and laughed to himself as he forgot all about his exhaustion from work. If the man was right, his son will be a legend one day. He will make a name for the Zhuge family. Ah Gui then carried his son to show his wife.

"Wife, look. You have given birth to another beautiful little boy," he chuckled happily. His wife smiled back at him. Her face was paled from the fatigue of giving birth.

"What will we name him?" she whispered. Ah Gui thought about it and remembered what the semi-god had said, 'Mister! I advise you to name your son Ah Liang, meaning bright! It will do your son good!'

"We shall name him Ah Liang, his name will be Zhuge Liang." Ah Gui answered.

Default Interlude: Cao Cao's Mysterious Advisor

Can Cao... Lau Dan

`
    A middle age man in his mid forties entered his room and slammed the doors shut. You could easily tell that he was a wealthy gentleman with his fine silk apparel and elegant designs on his clothing. He marched furiously towards the table and sat down. He pounded the table so hard that tea shook out of its cup.

“Cao Cao, what are you so mad about?” said a soft feminine voice. Cao Cao quickly stood up and glared around. There was no one around. Was he hallucinating?

“Who is it?” he questioned as he tried to remain calm. “Stop playing games with me! Show yourself at this instance!” Cao Cao unsheathed his sword as he examined the area cautiously. A playful laugh of a woman was suddenly heard from behind. He quickly turned around and aimed his sword towards that direction, but the sword stroke no one but the wall.

Suddenly, a poof of white smoke that released a pleasant fragrance appeared before him. When it subsided, a fair maiden dressed in sparkly white and lilac emerged in front of him. The maiden held a tender smile as her bright eyes glittered under the dim sunlight that came through the window.

“Who are you?” Cao Cao gasped, shocked by the maiden‘s sudden appearance. The maiden smiled and walked her way to the wall. She pulled out his sword and handed it to him. Cao Cao quickly retrieved it from her hand.

“Who are you?” he asked once again with impatience and astonishment.

“Me?” said the maiden nonchalantly as she sat down and poured herself a cup of tea. “My name is Sheh Bai Yun.”

“Sheh Bai Yun? I have never heard of that name before,” said Cao Cao suspiciously.

“I am no one important. I just came to have a little chat with you,” Bai Yun answered.

“What are you? A goddess or a demon?” questioned Cao Cao.

“Does it matter? All I have to say is that I’m here to help you,” said Bai Yun.

Cao Cao kept his steady glare at her. “Help me? What do I need your help with?”

“You know what I’m talking about,” said the snake demon as if she had read his mind, “Ever since Emperor Ling died a while back in 189, corruption in the government increased. What powers DOES Emperor Xiang have? None. Cao Cao, I know that you are mad at the corruption of the government. So why not do something about it? Many people had already broken away from the Han. You are left with no choice but to leave, or else you will not survive. There is too much tyranny in the government right now. Watch, Emperor Xiang will flee from the tyranny and cross your path.”

“What do you mean?” questioned Cao Cao questionably.

“You’ll know when he shows up,” said Bai Yun. “Remember, use this as an advantage. Once he steps upon your land, he’s under your control. Rescue him, gain his trust and soon his power. Trust me, and China will yours.”

“Why should I trust you?” said Cao Cao.

“You’ll see,” said Bai Yun sweetly. She snapped her fingers, and she slowly disappeared into thin air. Cao Cao stared at her mist in oddity. He had an anomalous feeling about this maiden. Suddenly, a knock was heard on his door.

“What is it?” Cao Cao demanded.

A servant bowed to him and uttered, “Master Cao, the emperor is spotted within 3 miles from our boundaries.”

Cao Cao was astonished. The maiden was correct. Cao Cao broke into an intimidating laugh, “Excellent! Invite the emperor to my house in a friendly manner this instant!”
    “Yes, Master Cao,” said the servant as he went to perform his task.

keep updating please also i was wondering if this is suppose to be historically accurate, thanks
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Default Chapter 1: The Painting of Maiden Huang

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i16.tinypic.com/4mv213c.jpg')

Zhuge Liang... Benny Chan
    Zhuge Wan... Tavia Yeung
    Zhuge Jin... Kevin Cheng
    Zhuge Xiu Zhen... Niki Chow

`

It was the year of 204 A.D. War was emerging upon China ever since Cao Cao's break from the government. Everything was in chaos, from the within citizens themselves to the corruption in the government.

Few families who have lived in the Yangdu County were lucky enough to be able to escape from the uproar of the events within this last decade. The Zhuge family was one of them. They were able to escape to a small village near the city of Xiangyang—where they have lived for nearly ten years now—making their living by selling baozi, which was a creation of the intelligent Zhuge Liang. Even though the Zhuge children were ill-fated orphans who lost both of their parents and their uncle, they were still grateful to be alive and to have each other.

"Hot! Hot! Move out of the way!" cried a handsome young man in simple apparels as he rushed out with a hot platter of baozi. This man in his early twenties was no other but Zhuge Liang. Even though he was still young and immature at times, his brilliant mind could easily exceed that of many elders.

He quickly placed the platter down onto a table and immediately blew onto his burning finger. Not far away from him stood a beautiful young maiden. Though only at the young age of eighteen, she held an aura that even many older women do not carry. Her charming features stood out, even in her simple, dull clothing. No doubt that her beauty could easily surpass many of the wealthy. As she watched Ah Liang recklessly blowing at his fingers, she could not help but giggle to herself.

"Second brother, how many times do you have to carry the platters of baozi without holding the edges with a simple piece of cloth?" she remarked with a slight grin.

"Wan Wan, if I know where they are, I wouldn't have carried them like this," Ah Liang answered as he held his fingers onto his earlobe.

"They have been and had always been on the first shelf. How come you seem to be the only one that doesn't know? Aren't you suppose to be the smart one in this household?" said Wan Wan as she rolled her eyes and poked his forehead playfully.

Ah Liang stared at her for a short while, "Aiya! Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"It's funny watching you burn your fingers," she chuckled.

"What kind of little sister are you? I won't be surprise if we can't marry you off," Ah Liang teased as he playfully slapped her on the head, "Now, don't start chasing me or else I'll hit you back!"

At this, Wan Wan reacted with a slight pout and started chasing her brother around with an abacus in her right hand, threatening to whack him back.

"Ah Liang, Wan Wan, behave now," warned a thirty year old man as he frowned at the two. Catching sight of the tall man, Wan Wan immediately ran up to him.

"Big Brother Jin! It's his fault!" she exclaimed as she pointed to Ah Liang. Zhuge Jin stared at his younger brother and grinned.

"So it was your fault?" Ah Jin questioned while shaking his head.

"You can't say that, big brother," said Ah Liang as he stood up tall. "Now, first you have to understand that it was Wan Wan who poked me on the forehead first… Oh well… whatever… gentlemen have no need to mess with little people…"

"Little people?! You—" Wan Wan stuttered as she glared at him.

"Can't you two live a few days without arguing?" muttered Ah Jin as he heaved a sigh. Yet, he chuckled slightly as he watched the two, amused by their frequent quarrels.

"You tell her big brother. I think you should give her a long lecture. I, on the other hand, have an appointment with my friends. I'll see you later!" declared Ah Liang as he rushed out the door. Ah Jin shook his head at his younger brother's immatureness.

"See? Look at him!" Wan Wan exclaimed.

"I have to go out to buy more flour now. Xiu Zhen is inside with little Ah Ke. Wan Wan, go help her and watch over the shop. You should learn from Xiu Zhen how to be proper wife for your future husband one day," said Ah Jin.

"Yes, brother," Wan Wan mumbled as she stomped her way into the house.

`

Meanwhile, Ah Liang walked down the street toward the restaurant where he would usually met up with his scholarly friends. Familiar face greeted him as he walked by and Ah Liang will politely return the favor by responding with a charming smile on his face.

As the young man trotted pass an antique store, a beautiful painting caught immediately caught his attention. Fascinated by a special aura that it held, he approached the painting for a better view. The painting was nothing that he had seen before; it was something he couldn't take his eyes off of. The way the waterfall was painted seemed to be flowing with the strokes of the brush. The colors of the flowers were so vivid and bright that it really has captured the sensation of real flowers that could easily attract butterflies. The scenery appeared as if it stood right in front of his eyes. He felt like he could walk right into the beautiful nature that it possessed.

"'Exterior beauty is nothing but a mask. The beauty within is the most beauteous of all,'" Ah Liang read. The beauty within is the most beauteous of all? Ah Liang chuckled to himself. Such simple words, yet hidden behind it were many meanings.

"Excuse me, but who is the painter of this beautiful artwork?" Ah Liang inquired.

"A little boy sold it to me this morning. The real painter has not revealed herself. The little boy mentioned her name though. I believe that she is the daughter of Huang Chengyan," the owner answered.

'The daughter of Huang Chengyan?' thought Ah Liang as he continued down the street. He couldn't take his mind off the young maiden who had painted such a masterpiece. Her talent was certainly no less than that of men's. Instantaneously, Ah Liang desired to meet her.

When he reached his destination—the Moonlight Dream Restaurant—Ah Liang entered with a smile plastered on his face.

"Ah Liang!" greeted his scholar friends in unison at the sight of him. As they chat the afternoon away with random topics while they ate, Ah Liang was quite quiet, for the only thing that occupied his mind was the Huang Maiden.

When one of his companions noticed his listless friend, he tapped him on the shoulder, "Ah Liang, what is on your mind? You seem out of focus."

"Huh? Oh, nothing, Kwok Ming," Ah Liang said as he placed his head onto the table and gazed dreamingly into midair.

"Now, Ah Liang, there is only two things that will bother a man. If it's not money, than it is a woman!" Kwok Ming grinned to which Ah Liang simply replied him with a smile.

"Ah Liang, we are your buddies. We are here to share your worries and fears," persuaded Kwok Ming.

"Ah Liang, I tell you everything and you helped me solve them, like that time when my mother tried to marry that woman whom I have never saw before! Now it's our turn to return your favor," encouraged another friend of Ah Liang. He thought for a moment, and finally spoke up.

"Well, do you guys know the daughter of Huang Chengyan?" Ah Liang asked with a grin.

"The Daughter of Huang Chengyan?! Ah Liang! You don't have your eyes on her, do you? I heard that she's extremely ugly! It is said that she made flowers die and babies cry at the sight of her!" Kwok Ming cried with a startle face.

"Flowers die and babies cry? Nonsense! How can a maiden with such talents be capable of that?" Ah Liang exclaimed in disbelief. He then added the quote, "Exterior beauty is nothing but a mask. The beauty within is the most beauteous of all."

"Ah Liang, I too had admire her for her talents. But alas, Kwok Ming is right. When I saw her, it was like seeing a devil!” cried another friend of Ah Liang's.

At his remark, Ah Liang only chuckled, slightly shaking his head.

The young one knew that a wise man would look past such things. There must be logic behind all this. He simply couldn't believe that Miss Huang would be so hideous. Thus, he decided to venture into the Huang's manor and find out for himself, for he was already captivated by her inconceivable talents.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    keep updating please also i was wondering if this is suppose to be historically accurate, thanks
    i just relized that we never responded to you lunar. xD thanks for continuously reading! and yes, this is going to be mostly historically accurate with the battles and life stories of the people whom we are tracing--zhuge liang, wei yan, cao cao, etc. but we made up a few characters and incorporated the plot with chinese mythology. =D wan wan and bai ying are made up. =)

Default Chapter 2: Seperated By A Veil

The shimmering sun lingered in the middle of the vast, blue sky indicating that it was now noon.

A young man stood before the gates of the Huang Manor, examining the simple wooden gates and at the same time, pondering why it was left open. It looked almost… deserted. But deciding not to judge a book by its cover, Zhuge Liang ventured through the opened gates of the Huang Manor.

He soon found himself smiling happily as he observed his surroundings. He shook his head and chanted, "Exterior beauty is really but a mask, the beauty within is indeed the most beauteous of all." This sentence stroked him so much. The extraordinary power that this simple sentence contained was unbelievably strong and it certainly described this manor well.

Though it wasn't grand or richly decorated, one would feel as if they're walking in a path that would lead to heaven. The front yard was filled with a countless number of captivating flowers vivid in colors. Flowers that were bluer than the ocean and brighter than the full moon filled the air with a fresh sensation. It felt as if he stood in the fresh atmosphere of the peaceful countryside. He sighed contentedly as he inhaled the aroma, which felt so satisfying to his lungs and relaxed his muscles.

As he sauntered further, a maid walking by spotted the present of a stranger. She inspected the visitor before deciding whether he was approachable.

"Sir, who is it that you are looking for?" the young girl, dressed in a light purple gown asked politely as she headed toward the handsome young man.

Ah Liang looked at her sweet face and smiled, "I am here hoping to meet the Young Miss of the Huang Manor,"

"You are but one of the many who want to see our Young Miss. Though I cannot guarantee that she will agree to see you, you will find her down that way," she replied and instructed Ah Liang to go toward the left.

As he advanced forward, a melodious song of a finely crafted seven-stringed zither flowed gracefully across his ears. Indeed, it was one of the most beautiful tunes that he has ever heard. Each note was keyed correctly and elegantly, creating the most bizarre, yet marvelous tune that flowed smoothly into one's mind. Not one tone was too high or too low, and it all seemed to piece together in harmony.

"This Huang Maiden must be something," Zhuge Liang chuckled as he approached a closed door.

Noticing an outsider, the maiden by the zither immediately stopped playing.

"Xiao Ling, how did an outsider get in here? Who may be visiting the
    Huang Manor today?" echoed a song-like voice of a maiden. Her voice was as captivating as her music. It was soft, yet it possessed an indefinite charm with each word spoken gracefully. Ah Liang thought that it must be impossible for a maiden with such an enchanting voice to carry a horrendous face.

"I apologize for trespassing and interrupting Miss's playing. I am Zhuge Liang. I believe that I had seen one of Miss's paintings and am deeply intrigued by it. Therefore, I came here to see who is the wonderful painter whom the masterpiece belongs to," introduced Ah Liang politely, yet with a hint of mischievousness in his voice.

"So it is Young Master Zhuge?"

"I am too belittled to have such a title," said Ah Liang humbly.

The maiden remained silent for a short while, and then said, "Xiao Ling, why don't you open the door and let our guest enter?"

Within a few seconds after she finished talking, the door flew open and there stood a delicate maiden, no more than eighteen. Bowing politely in her soft pink gown she greeted, "Young Master Zhuge, please come in."
    Zhuge Liang smiled back at the young girl, nodded, and stepped through the opened doors. Xiao Ling looked upon his face and was dumbfounded by his charming features. Her jaw dropped as she gawked at him in awe.
    "Xiao Ling, it is impolite to stare, why don't you show our guest to his
    seat?" Miss Huang said.

Suddenly snapping back into reality, Xiao Ling lead Ah Liang to a seat which was on the left of the mysterious Huang maiden who was seated behind several layers of wavering pink veils. Even though the veils were thin and almost see-through, Ah Liang could not make out her face in dim room and only sat down quietly. Unlike the other men who came, he did not request to see her face which surprised the young maiden.

"Young Master Zhuge, you have come all this way. Do you not desire to see my face? Ah, I know, it must be that you heard from others about the hideous face I bear. Am I correct?" she inquired, challenging the young man.

"To be honest, I have heard of the rumors, but whether or not I see your face is of no importance to me. I would only like to make acquaintance with such a talent like Miss," Zhuge Liang replied.

His remark had indeed impressed the maiden, but upon hearing it, she felt a feeling of joy tickling down her body.

"Then allow me to play a song for Young Master," she offered. Ah Liang looked at the veil.

Even though he could not see her, he was quite sure that she had smile. He smiled back charmingly, "It would be my pleasure to listen."

Once again, a beautiful melody streamed across the air and eased the environment as the delicate fingers of Miss Huang stroke each string. Upon hearing the tunes, Ah Liang began chanting…

"Beautiful sunset, as one sat by their love's side,
    The river can run along with its wave,
    Whether the mountain's height or the ocean's tide.
    One could care less for what one crave
    For one craves nothing, but only their love's smiles
    A beautiful heart is without flaw,
    Kindness that is worth more than gold of miles
    For the beauty within is the most beauteous of all."

"Young Master Zhuge is truly a talent amongst a youth," Miss Huang complimented as she finished the tune with a staccato note.

"Miss Huang say of it like you are much older than I am, but from your voice, I'm sure you are no more than twenty. And it is not I who is the talented one, but you. 'The beauty within is the most beauteous of all'-it is Miss who taught me this," Ah Liang chuckled playfully.

"I thank you for Young Master's compliment," she replied courteously as her heart skipped a beat.

Zhuge Liang realized it was near sunset when he took a glance outside, he began, "It is getting late. I'm afraid it is time for my departure. But before
    I leave, I have a request"

"Please speak your request."

"From now on, I would like it if you call me Ah Liang instead of Young Master Zhuge. It sounds too formal," Ah Liang smiled.

"That is but a way to address you, but if you insist, I will call you Ah Liang from now on," she giggled. Xiao Ling's eyes widened at the sound and smiled to herself. Never has her Young Miss giggled because of a man before beside her own father. Miss Huang too, was shocked at her response. What is it about Ah Liang that made her so… content? Miss Huang placed her hand over her heart; its speed was rising with each passing second. What about this man has made her heartbeat increase like this?

"May I ask for Miss Huang's name?"

"Huang Yue Ying,"

"Yue Ying," Ah Liang repeated, "Yue as in moon and Ying as in bright. 'Bright Moon,' the name indeed fit you well,"

"Thank you, Youn—Ah Liang," said Yue Ying as she quickly changed her words before she greeted him as 'Young Master Zhuge.' "Oh, and I must advise, do carry an umbrella with you tomorrow for it will rain."
    At her comment, Ah Liang took another look outside and was again in awe of her capabilities. Even though the sky was clear and showed no sign of rain, there's small hints in the clouds that showed that it would indeed storm, "Indeed, it will rain, I thank you for your advice, Yue Ying," he said, "Well, I will bid farewell now. I will visit you again soon,"

"Xiao Ling, please see our guest off."

"There's no need for that," Ah Liang smiled one last time before exiting. Yue Ying watched as he left. Even though she wished for him to accompany her longer, it was not proper for a young woman to ask this of a man whom she just met.

`

After he left, Xiao Ling disappeared behind the veil, and there sat a beautiful maiden. Though at a young age, her twinkling brown eyes held much wisdom. Her face was round while her nose was tall and slender. The facial structure of this maiden seemed to have fitted together perfectly. Even though she could not be describe to be as beautiful as a divine goddess, she possessed an incomparable grace that few others carried.

"Young Miss, do you like the handsome Young Master Zhuge?" Xiao Ling teased.

"Like him?" Yue Ying hastily replied as she looked down on the floor.

"You're blushing!"

"Well, I must admit. He's quite different from the many other men that came."

"Of course. Otherwise, you would've scared him off with your fake scars!"

"Do you think he will come again?"

"I'm sure of it, he seems like a gentleman, unlike those other crooks that came before," Xiao Ling remarked bluntly. To which, Yue Ying chuckled in amusement.

At that moment, a girl rushed in. It was the same maid that Ah Liang encountered earlier. In her light purple gown, she quickly paced up to Yue Ying.

"Xiao Lan, what is it?"
    "Young Miss! Master's coming home tomorrow!" announced Xiao Lan happily as she bestowed the information to Yue Ying. Those words were like music to Huang Yue Ying's ears. Her father will be returning after a year long of helping Lu Xun out in the battlefields. At last, she could see her father again. She sighed of relief, knowing that her father was safe and would reunite with her again soon.
    Last edited by babiadorkable; 06-03-07 at 08:18 PM.

Default The Beauty Within

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i8.tinypic.com/503cdpk.jpg')

Huang Yue Ying... Gao Yuan Yuan
    Zhuge Wan... Tavia Yeung
    Zhuge Jin... Kevin Cheng
    `

The sky outside was a dim gray as heavy rainfall plunged onto the earth, creating the rhythms of a pounding drum. Farmers were overjoyed at the coming storm, for their crops would be nurtured by nature's water. Thus, freeing them from the troubles of watering it. However, merchants weren't so thrill as they rushed from their stalls to a nearby shelter, only to hear the rain thumping against the roof.

Under a certain roof was a small dainty room and there sat a man in his early forties. Though his face sank with exhaustion, he held a pair of twinkling eyes contrasting the weary expression. Much similar to him, the environment surrounding him held the very same appearance. The small room consisted of a few pieces of furniture, but dangling on each wall that shielded the furniture were exquisite painting that brought the dull room to life.

"Father!" greeted an ecstatic maiden as she rushed through the door and up to the man. Due to her preparation for his return the day before, she had overslept that day and had only woken up when Siu Ling notified her of his return.

"Yue Ying," beamed Huang Cheng Yan as he examined his daughter. "You've grown! Look at how pretty and elegant you are right now."

"Father, you are only kidding with me," Yue Ying replied sweetly. "So how was your trip?"

Cheng Yan heaved a sigh and began, "It is true that you can never be too old to learn. Through this trip, I was truly able to see how the lives of soldiers are. It was indeed difficult to watch the sights of many farewells and wives losing their husbands to the intense battles…"

"And Lu Xun? Have you met him father? From what I've heard, he was able to pacify the southeastern tribes of Yue, and yet he was only at the mere age of twenty."

"It is a pity that I was not able to speak to this brilliant man in person. But I must admit, he is truly one to admire. I believe he will make a name for himself within a few years worth."

"If they were to know that father is Huang Cheng Yan, they would no doubt immediately bring you to Lu Xun himself," grinned Yue Ying.

"Enough of the war talk. Now, did my daughter scare off any more men with your fake scars?" teased Cheng Yan as he changed the subject.

"Master, how many men do you think will come after Miss dispersed that rumor of her bearing hideous scars on her face that will make babies cry and flowers die?" Xiao Ling giggled.

"Those men are all shallow. A true man will look past exterior beauty. That saying was what the strange man you came upon at my birth said. Remember father? You told me that the fortune teller said that I will marry a great man, a man that will become a legend, a man who looks for beauty within, a man who will marry me no matter what I look like," Yue Ying reminisced.

"Indeed, but a man of such would truly be hard to find," Cheng Yan murmured.

"Old Master, I believe that Young Miss had found someone of such," teased Xiao Ling.

"Really?" Cheng Yan inquired with a sudden interested look. "Who may this man be?"

Yue Ying lowered her head as her face flushed into a crimson red, "He came just yesterday requesting to meet me after he saw one of my paintings. Father, you should've met him. Unlike the others, his intention was not to see my face, but to befriend me. And I must say, he is quite a talent. His surname is Zhuge and his first name Liang, Zhuge Liang."

"Zhuge Liang?" thought Old Master Cheng Yan as he repeated his name.

"Master, Miss may not have seen his face since the veils separated them, but I have. He was a young man in his twenties that bared a handsome face with charming and bold eyes," Xiao Ling exclaimed excitedly while Cheng Yan nodded contently.

"Does my daughter like this man?"

Yue Ying smiled timidly and replied, "He's quite a gentleman. I… I… We'll have to see if he really looks for beauty within first."

"We will see," uttered Cheng Yan as his lips curved upward. His daughter has always been a picky person. There was never a man whom she has never said anything bad about. If there were no complains about this one by tomorrow's meeting, this was most likely the perfect one.

`

A middle age scholar toddled through the main street of Xiangyang that was crowded with faces and echoing with noises. He studied the scenes as he passed, secretly saying to himself, 'It seems that not much have changed since I was last here.'

As he continued down the path, the morning breeze blew a sweet aroma that lingered in the air. He smiled contentedly as he inhaled the relaxing scent. Wondering where the source of it was, the man followed the smell and reached a small restaurant. He watched with interest as people entered with an empty hand but exited with a large bag wrapped around their shoulder.

Curiosity hit the scholar as he stopped a young farmer and questioned politely, "Young Master, what is it that you have around your shoulder?"

"Oh, it's baozi." answered the young farmer.

"Baozi?"

"The great invention of Kong Ming! It's quite convenient for traveling and the taste is not bad either. You should try it!"

"Who may this Kong Ming be?"

"Him over there," the farmer pointed to a handsome young man at the counter inside the restaurant and immediately sauntered off, disappearing into the crowd.

Without hesitating, Huang Cheng Yan ventured through the doors of the restaurant and took a seat. After ordering his meal, the man ate with satisfaction. However, a displeased expression clouded his face when he saw a piece of string sagging from his sleeve.

The kind hearted Ah Liang noticed the frustrated look on his customer's face and pondered if he could be any help as he headed toward the middle age scholar.

At the corner of his eyes, Cheng Yan could see the man named Kong Ming approaching him, but he kept silent, allowing the young man to speak first.

"Mister, I've noticed the anxiousness on your face, what could be bothering you?" inquired the courteous young man.

The middle aged scholar tilted his head, facing the young man, "A friend once asked me, how is it possible to have a thread of string go through a log? Till this day, I am unable to figure out the answer."

Ah Liang smiled, "That is quite simple. If you tied the string to an ant and let it into the log, it will soon find its way out on the other side."

The older scholar contemplated for a moment, a smile plastered on his face, "Indeed! How could I not think of it? Thank you for helping me, and if I am correct, you are Kong Ming, are you not?"

"Kong Ming is but a courtesy name others have given me. I was born Zhuge Liang," replied Ah Liang, humbly.

Cheng Yan's eyes lifted at his new knowledge. So this is the Zhuge Liang who brought so much joy to his daughter. He would no doubt be more than delighted to wed his daughter to such a man.

`

The next morning, Ah Liang went out to help out at their small eatery like usual. Even though his hands were occupied with work, his mind was off somewhere else, thinking about his last meeting with Yue Ying that occurred just yesterday. As he sat down at the counter, he played around with the keys on the abacus and pondered about when he would meet her again. He couldn't get her out of his mind. Even though they've only met two days ago, it was more than enough to establish his feelings towards her.

Even when a customer requested for change, Ah Liang did not responded as he kept staring at the abacus and played around with the beads, his mind drifting off into another world.

When he noticed the incident, Ah Jin quickly made his way over to counter, apologizing as he handed the customer his change. He gazed at his brother's listless face and waved his hand in front of him. Ah Liang didn't notice at all.

"Ah Liang!" Ah Jin suddenly yelled behind his left ear, causing Ah Liang to flinch in shock.

"Big brother, why did you scare me like that?" Ah Liang cried as his eyes enlarged.

"Scared you? If you weren't daydreaming, you would have noticed when I was waving in your face. Ah Liang, what's the matter? Are you okay?" Ah Jin wondered with the concerns of a big brother.

"He must have had too much wine with his friends yesterday," Wan Wan interrupted as she wandered pass with a plate of baozi in her hands.

"For your information, we didn't have wine. We have tea, miss smarty," Ah Liang retorted.

"Then what's on your mind? Daydreaming about some girl?" Wan Wan laughed as she walked away carrying a plate of food to a hungry customer. Ah Liang remained silent, his lips turning into the shape of a crescent moon. Seeing the smile plastered his brother's face, Ah Jin believed that Wan Wan's guess was correct.

"Which girl?" Ah Jin grinned.

Ah Liang glanced at his brother; his eyes wandering all over the place before repeating, "What girl? There is no girl."

"Whatever you say," Ah Jin chuckled as he left. He knew there was definitely someone on his younger brother's mind, especially since he was at the age of marrying. Even though Zhuge Liang was a handsome and talented young man, many young girls nowadays only wanted to be married into a rich family, thus giving wealthy old masters the chance to have concubines many years younger than them.

After Ah Jin was gone, a middle age scholar walked in and headed towards Ah Liang, "Greeting Young Master Zhuge."

"You are the scholar from yesterday! Excuse my imprudence, I still haven't asked for your name yet," greeted Ah Liang.

"I am Huang Cheng Yan."

As soon as he heard his name, Ah Liang immediately realized that he was no other than Yue Ying's father.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Master Huang," Ah Liang smiled without mentioning that he knew his daughter. Huang Cheng Yan however had already acknowledged this.

"My daughter Yue Ying had mentioned quite a lot about you. If you would not deny this humble request, I would like it if you have tea with me at my manor," offered the older scholar.

The lad smiled and replied, "It would be my pleasure."

`

"What kind of tea would you like?" Cheng Yan asked as he gestured for Ah Liang to take a seat across from his.

"Any is fine. Master Huang, I'm sure that the reason for me to be here is not just to have some tea," Ah Liang muttered calmly with a charming smile.

"Young Master Zhuge is definitely an intelligent man. No wonder my daughter is so fond of you. I'll have to ask you now; do you really love my daughter?"

Ah Liang paused for a short while as he thought about the sudden question that he was unprepared for. "I never experienced love before, so I will not know the feelings for it. But ever since I returned home after my visit yesterday, I couldn't take my mind off of her. Yes, I've only met her twice, but every single word of our short discussions kept on repeating again and again in my head. Every time I think of her, my heart would keep on beating as if it is going to burst any minute. I've never seen her face, but no matter how she looks, it's her talent and the intelligence that I admire. Whether you call that love or admiration, I am not sure."

"Very well said," complimented Cheng Yan. "Yue Ying, come out."

Shocked that Yue Ying has heard the words that has just rolled off his tongue, Ah Liang's eyes enlarged and his cheeks reddened as she strolled in. She held a pair of large, captivating eyes, but the white scarf has covered up the remainder of the face brought disappointment to him since he eagerly wanted to see her face. He couldn't imagine that a girl with such mesmerizing eyes could bear a horrible face like the rumors have stated.

"Young Master Zhuge," said Cheng Yan.

"Yes, Sir," replied Ah Liang politely as he stood up from his chair.

"I was wondering. Would you like to take my daughter's hand in marriage?" said Cheng Yan.

Ah Liang was silent at the shocking news he heard. At the same time, a natural smile was cast over his face as his heart beat sped up with excitement. "Of course I would," answered Ah Liang as he looked into the beautiful eyes of Yue Ying.

"No matter how she looks like?" challenged Cheng Yan.

"Looks do not matter. It's the beauty within that is the most beauteous of all," said Ah Liang, quoting the message that Yue Ying's painting brought forth to him.

"Is that what you really think?" questioned Cheng Yan as he signaled to his daughter. Yue Ying then reached behind her head and untied the veil, revealing the remainder of her face. Ah Liang was shocked to find that such a beauty with almost perfect facial features carried a huge and hideous red scar on the right side of her face. However, he did not mind, for it was her heart that he cared about and her intelligence that he admired.

"Yes, that is what I think. No matter how Yue Ying looks like, it's her beauty within that matters. Her intelligence and personality is what I admire. Even if someone is beautiful today, they will be old and wrinkly within thirty or forty years. The exterior beauty is only an illusion of the eyes while the interior will always stay the same no matter how much time passes by," he proclaimed. The statement he made greatly touched Yue Ying's heart as an appealing smile beamed across her face.

"Good! Great words that came out of your mouth. Zhuge Liang, I really admire your personality! I’ll ask you one more time, will you take my daughter as your wife?" exclaimed Cheng Yan.

"I will," declared Ah Liang determinedly without hesitation.

"Very well," Cheng Yan grinned as Yue Ying departed alongside Xiao Ling.

"Where is she going?" wondered the curious Ah Liang.

"You'll see," answered Cheng Yan mysteriously. Within a few moments, Yue Ying returned with Xiao Ling behind her. "There she is," Cheng Yan whispered, as he saw them.

When Ah Liang turned around, he saw a miraculous beauty without any detectable flaws on her face standing right before his eyes. Like a full moon that brightens up the sky, Yue Ying's gorgeous face lifted the spirit of her surrounding.

"Ah, I get it now," Ah Liang murmured. Both Yue Ying and her father chuckled with fulfillment. He was indeed an intelligent man who looks beyond the exterior beauty.

"I will find a time to meet with your brother to discuss the wedding matters," decided Huang Cheng Yan.

`

Three months later, the marriage of Zhuge Liang and Huang Yue Ying occurred, making this the biggest event of the city of that month. All those fellow scholars who ran away when they saw the hideous scar upon Yue Ying's face regretted their actions and were envious of Ah Liang for being able to take home such a stunning bride. At the same time, they admired Ah Liang's ability to look beyond the exterior.

Zhuge Wan... Tavia Yeung
    Zhuge Jin... Kevin Cheng
    `

The sky outside was a dim gray as heavy rainfall plunged onto the earth, creating the rhythms of a pounding drum. Farmers were overjoyed at the coming storm, for their crops would be nurtured by nature's water. Thus, freeing them from the troubles of watering it. However, merchants weren't so thrill as they rushed from their stalls to a nearby shelter, only to hear the rain thumping against the roof.

Under a certain roof was a small dainty room and there sat a man in his early forties. Though his face sank with exhaustion, he held a pair of twinkling eyes contrasting the weary expression. Much similar to him, the environment surrounding him held the very same appearance. The small room consisted of a few pieces of furniture, but dangling on each wall that shielded the furniture were exquisite painting that brought the dull room to life.

"Father!" greeted an ecstatic maiden as she rushed through the door and up to the man. Due to her preparation for his return the day before, she had overslept that day and had only woken up when Siu Ling notified her of his return.

"Yue Ying," beamed Huang Cheng Yan as he examined his daughter. "You've grown! Look at how pretty and elegant you are right now."

"Father, you are only kidding with me," Yue Ying replied sweetly. "So how was your trip?"

Cheng Yan heaved a sigh and began, "It is true that you can never be too old to learn. Through this trip, I was truly able to see how the lives of soldiers are. It was indeed difficult to watch the sights of many farewells and wives losing their husbands to the intense battles…"

"And Lu Xun? Have you met him father? From what I've heard, he was able to pacify the southeastern tribes of Yue, and yet he was only at the mere age of twenty."

"It is a pity that I was not able to speak to this brilliant man in person. But I must admit, he is truly one to admire. I believe he will make a name for himself within a few years worth."

"If they were to know that father is Huang Cheng Yan, they would no doubt immediately bring you to Lu Xun himself," grinned Yue Ying.

"Enough of the war talk. Now, did my daughter scare off any more men with your fake scars?" teased Cheng Yan as he changed the subject.

"Master, how many men do you think will come after Miss dispersed that rumor of her bearing hideous scars on her face that will make babies cry and flowers die?" Xiao Ling giggled.

"Those men are all shallow. A true man will look past exterior beauty. That saying was what the strange man you came upon at my birth said. Remember father? You told me that the fortune teller said that I will marry a great man, a man that will become a legend, a man who looks for beauty within, a man who will marry me no matter what I look like," Yue Ying reminisced.

"Indeed, but a man of such would truly be hard to find," Cheng Yan murmured.

"Old Master, I believe that Young Miss had found someone of such," teased Xiao Ling.

"Really?" Cheng Yan inquired with a sudden interested look. "Who may this man be?"

Yue Ying lowered her head as her face flushed into a crimson red, "He came just yesterday requesting to meet me after he saw one of my paintings. Father, you should've met him. Unlike the others, his intention was not to see my face, but to befriend me. And I must say, he is quite a talent. His surname is Zhuge and his first name Liang, Zhuge Liang."

"Zhuge Liang?" thought Old Master Cheng Yan as he repeated his name.

"Master, Miss may not have seen his face since the veils separated them, but I have. He was a young man in his twenties that bared a handsome face with charming and bold eyes," Xiao Ling exclaimed excitedly while Cheng Yan nodded contently.

"Does my daughter like this man?"

Yue Ying smiled timidly and replied, "He's quite a gentleman. I… I… We'll have to see if he really looks for beauty within first."

"We will see," uttered Cheng Yan as his lips curved upward. His daughter has always been a picky person. There was never a man whom she has never said anything bad about. If there were no complains about this one by tomorrow's meeting, this was most likely the perfect one.

`

A middle age scholar toddled through the main street of Xiangyang that was crowded with faces and echoing with noises. He studied the scenes as he passed, secretly saying to himself, 'It seems that not much have changed since I was last here.'

As he continued down the path, the morning breeze blew a sweet aroma that lingered in the air. He smiled contentedly as he inhaled the relaxing scent. Wondering where the source of it was, the man followed the smell and reached a small restaurant. He watched with interest as people entered with an empty hand but exited with a large bag wrapped around their shoulder.

Curiosity hit the scholar as he stopped a young farmer and questioned politely, "Young Master, what is it that you have around your shoulder?"

"Oh, it's baozi." answered the young farmer.

"Baozi?"

"The great invention of Kong Ming! It's quite convenient for traveling and the taste is not bad either. You should try it!"

"Who may this Kong Ming be?"

"Him over there," the farmer pointed to a handsome young man at the counter inside the restaurant and immediately sauntered off, disappearing into the crowd.

Without hesitating, Huang Cheng Yan ventured through the doors of the restaurant and took a seat. After ordering his meal, the man ate with satisfaction. However, a displeased expression clouded his face when he saw a piece of string sagging from his sleeve.

The kind hearted Ah Liang noticed the frustrated look on his customer's face and pondered if he could be any help as he headed toward the middle age scholar.

At the corner of his eyes, Cheng Yan could see the man named Kong Ming approaching him, but he kept silent, allowing the young man to speak first.

"Mister, I've noticed the anxiousness on your face, what could be bothering you?" inquired the courteous young man.

The middle aged scholar tilted his head, facing the young man, "A friend once asked me, how is it possible to have a thread of string go through a log? Till this day, I am unable to figure out the answer."

Ah Liang smiled, "That is quite simple. If you tied the string to an ant and let it into the log, it will soon find its way out on the other side."

The older scholar contemplated for a moment, a smile plastered on his face, "Indeed! How could I not think of it? Thank you for helping me, and if I am correct, you are Kong Ming, are you not?"

"Kong Ming is but a courtesy name others have given me. I was born Zhuge Liang," replied Ah Liang, humbly.

Cheng Yan's eyes lifted at his new knowledge. So this is the Zhuge Liang who brought so much joy to his daughter. He would no doubt be more than delighted to wed his daughter to such a man.

`

The next morning, Ah Liang went out to help out at their small eatery like usual. Even though his hands were occupied with work, his mind was off somewhere else, thinking about his last meeting with Yue Ying that occurred just yesterday. As he sat down at the counter, he played around with the keys on the abacus and pondered about when he would meet her again. He couldn't get her out of his mind. Even though they've only met two days ago, it was more than enough to establish his feelings towards her.

Even when a customer requested for change, Ah Liang did not responded as he kept staring at the abacus and played around with the beads, his mind drifting off into another world.

When he noticed the incident, Ah Jin quickly made his way over to counter, apologizing as he handed the customer his change. He gazed at his brother's listless face and waved his hand in front of him. Ah Liang didn't notice at all.

"Ah Liang!" Ah Jin suddenly yelled behind his left ear, causing Ah Liang to flinch in shock.

"Big brother, why did you scare me like that?" Ah Liang cried as his eyes enlarged.

"Scared you? If you weren't daydreaming, you would have noticed when I was waving in your face. Ah Liang, what's the matter? Are you okay?" Ah Jin wondered with the concerns of a big brother.

"He must have had too much wine with his friends yesterday," Wan Wan interrupted as she wandered pass with a plate of baozi in her hands.

"For your information, we didn't have wine. We have tea, miss smarty," Ah Liang retorted.

"Then what's on your mind? Daydreaming about some girl?" Wan Wan laughed as she walked away carrying a plate of food to a hungry customer. Ah Liang remained silent, his lips turning into the shape of a crescent moon. Seeing the smile plastered his brother's face, Ah Jin believed that Wan Wan's guess was correct.

"Which girl?" Ah Jin grinned.

Ah Liang glanced at his brother; his eyes wandering all over the place before repeating, "What girl? There is no girl."

"Whatever you say," Ah Jin chuckled as he left. He knew there was definitely someone on his younger brother's mind, especially since he was at the age of marrying. Even though Zhuge Liang was a handsome and talented young man, many young girls nowadays only wanted to be married into a rich family, thus giving wealthy old masters the chance to have concubines many years younger than them.

After Ah Jin was gone, a middle age scholar walked in and headed towards Ah Liang, "Greeting Young Master Zhuge."

"You are the scholar from yesterday! Excuse my imprudence, I still haven't asked for your name yet," greeted Ah Liang.

"I am Huang Cheng Yan."

As soon as he heard his name, Ah Liang immediately realized that he was no other than Yue Ying's father.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Master Huang," Ah Liang smiled without mentioning that he knew his daughter. Huang Cheng Yan however had already acknowledged this.

"My daughter Yue Ying had mentioned quite a lot about you. If you would not deny this humble request, I would like it if you have tea with me at my manor," offered the older scholar.

The lad smiled and replied, "It would be my pleasure."

`

"What kind of tea would you like?" Cheng Yan asked as he gestured for Ah Liang to take a seat across from his.

"Any is fine. Master Huang, I'm sure that the reason for me to be here is not just to have some tea," Ah Liang muttered calmly with a charming smile.

"Young Master Zhuge is definitely an intelligent man. No wonder my daughter is so fond of you. I'll have to ask you now; do you really love my daughter?"

Ah Liang paused for a short while as he thought about the sudden question that he was unprepared for. "I never experienced love before, so I will not know the feelings for it. But ever since I returned home after my visit yesterday, I couldn't take my mind off of her. Yes, I've only met her twice, but every single word of our short discussions kept on repeating again and again in my head. Every time I think of her, my heart would keep on beating as if it is going to burst any minute. I've never seen her face, but no matter how she looks, it's her talent and the intelligence that I admire. Whether you call that love or admiration, I am not sure."

"Very well said," complimented Cheng Yan. "Yue Ying, come out."

Shocked that Yue Ying has heard the words that has just rolled off his tongue, Ah Liang's eyes enlarged and his cheeks reddened as she strolled in. She held a pair of large, captivating eyes, but the white scarf has covered up the remainder of the face brought disappointment to him since he eagerly wanted to see her face. He couldn't imagine that a girl with such mesmerizing eyes could bear a horrible face like the rumors have stated.

"Young Master Zhuge," said Cheng Yan.

"Yes, Sir," replied Ah Liang politely as he stood up from his chair.

"I was wondering. Would you like to take my daughter's hand in marriage?" said Cheng Yan.

Ah Liang was silent at the shocking news he heard. At the same time, a natural smile was cast over his face as his heart beat sped up with excitement. "Of course I would," answered Ah Liang as he looked into the beautiful eyes of Yue Ying.

"No matter how she looks like?" challenged Cheng Yan.

"Looks do not matter. It's the beauty within that is the most beauteous of all," said Ah Liang, quoting the message that Yue Ying's painting brought forth to him.

"Is that what you really think?" questioned Cheng Yan as he signaled to his daughter. Yue Ying then reached behind her head and untied the veil, revealing the remainder of her face. Ah Liang was shocked to find that such a beauty with almost perfect facial features carried a huge and hideous red scar on the right side of her face. However, he did not mind, for it was her heart that he cared about and her intelligence that he admired.

"Yes, that is what I think. No matter how Yue Ying looks like, it's her beauty within that matters. Her intelligence and personality is what I admire. Even if someone is beautiful today, they will be old and wrinkly within thirty or forty years. The exterior beauty is only an illusion of the eyes while the interior will always stay the same no matter how much time passes by," he proclaimed. The statement he made greatly touched Yue Ying's heart as an appealing smile beamed across her face.

"Good! Great words that came out of your mouth. Zhuge Liang, I really admire your personality! I’ll ask you one more time, will you take my daughter as your wife?" exclaimed Cheng Yan.

"I will," declared Ah Liang determinedly without hesitation.

"Very well," Cheng Yan grinned as Yue Ying departed alongside Xiao Ling.

"Where is she going?" wondered the curious Ah Liang.

"You'll see," answered Cheng Yan mysteriously. Within a few moments, Yue Ying returned with Xiao Ling behind her. "There she is," Cheng Yan whispered, as he saw them.

When Ah Liang turned around, he saw a miraculous beauty without any detectable flaws on her face standing right before his eyes. Like a full moon that brightens up the sky, Yue Ying's gorgeous face lifted the spirit of her surrounding.

"Ah, I get it now," Ah Liang murmured. Both Yue Ying and her father chuckled with fulfillment. He was indeed an intelligent man who looks beyond the exterior beauty.

"I will find a time to meet with your brother to discuss the wedding matters," decided Huang Cheng Yan.

`

Three months later, the marriage of Zhuge Liang and Huang Yue Ying occurred, making this the biggest event of the city of that month. All those fellow scholars who ran away when they saw the hideous scar upon Yue Ying's face regretted their actions and were envious of Ah Liang for being able to take home such a stunning bride. At the same time, they admired Ah Liang's ability to look beyond the exterior.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i7.tinypic.com/4ldwx0n.jpg')
    Last edited by babiadorkable; 06-10-07 at 09:40 PM.

Default Chapter 4: Unusual Encounters

Zhuge Wan... Tavia Yeung
    Er Lang Shen... Raymond Lam
    Sheh Bai Ting... Linda Chung

`

It was the year of 206, marking Zhuge Liang and Huang Yue Ying's second wedding anniversary. Though Yue Ying wasn't used to the hardship she had to live with at first, she quickly adapted with Ah Liang's help and growing love that encouraged her greatly. Each day, she would help out in the restaurant and occasionally, Ah Liang would take her to visit her father at the Huang Manor.

`

The sky was light blue with bits of clouds here and there as sunshine sparkled in every direction. Everything was calm and peaceful until a sudden roar of thunder was heard in the sky.

The villagers on the outskirts of Xiangyang quickly ran outside to retrieve their drying clothes and belongings to save them from pouring rain. But to their surprise, there was not a single raindrop in sight. The sky was still as sunny and bright as the moment before. Though still unclear of what had happened, they didn't pondered much and went back to their doings.

It was unknown to the villagers, but the answer to the suspicious thunder lay above the clouds where no mortal could reach. A fair maiden and young man fell from the first level of heaven and fought their way into the clouds of the mortal's land.

"Sheh Bai Ying! I suggest you give up now or else you'll feel my wrath!" roared a young man with mature built and a dominant face. If one did not see it with their own eyes, he would’ve not had believe that this man held a third eye on his forehead. But of course, he wasn’t just any man; he was the powerful god, Er Lang Shen.

With his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife tightly clutched in his hand, he aimed it at the fragile, yet dazzling snake demon who was dressed elegantly in crimson red. Being the weaker fighter, Bai Ying could barely defend herself from the powerful deity. With one slash of his dominant weapon, she fell from the sky and onto the ground of the earth.

Fortunately, she landed on soft grass that broke the heavy fall. However, the pain that Er Lang Shen inflicted had not subsided as she winced excruciatingly while clutching onto her injured shoulder. She glared at the fierce Er Lang Shen as he descended gracefully.

"Why do you have to do this? It's been twenty five years! Twenty five years already!" cried Bai Ying bitterly as he approached her. "I haven't seen Xiao Yu for twenty five years. Isn't this punishment long enough? Why are all you so-called 'gods' so coldhearted?!" A tear trickled down her eyes as Er Lang Shen stood before her, staring at her as if nothing had happened. Though he had been alive for thousands of years, his heart had never experienced love, let alone understanding the pain that this pair of lovers endured.

"Why can't gods fall in love? That is just unfair!" Bai Ying continued.

"That's the law of heaven. No one can change it," answered Er Lang Shen impassively, "Huang Xiao Yu has reincarnated. You won't see him again so don't try venturing into the ninth level of heaven ever again. There is no point in doing so."

"No! You're lying!" Bai Ying retorted, finding it hard to believe his words.

"What I said is true and there can be nothing done about it."

As he was about to capture her for the Jade Emperor to decide on, two palms forcefully aimed against his back. He fell onto the floor as he gripped onto his heart which the palm shattered. He was shocked. How can a deity like himself not detect a simple sneak attack like that? Before him, two fair maiden emerged from thin air and landed gracefully in front of the injured Bai Ying and facing Er Lang Shen. The first maiden was no doubt a classic beauty. From her sharp features to her gentle lips, there was no imperfection. But as beautiful as she was, her ominous eyes could cause men to tumble to their feet at the cold chill that emitted from them. Though she was not as stunning at the first, the second maiden held an insidious charm. From first glance, she appeared to be gentle and harmless like a sparrow. On the contrary, if one was to look deeply within her eyes, he would shudder at the wickedness within.

“Big sister,” cried Bai Ying weakly in awe.

The first maiden released an insidious glare at her. “You remember that you I’m your big sister? I thought that worthless Huang Xiao Yu has taken over your mind,” snapped the maiden.

Bai Ying lowered her head in shame.

“Sheh Bai Yun!” roared Er Lang Shen as he got back on his feet and directed his weapon in her position. Of course he didn’t notice their approach, the sneakiness of these snake devils were not to be underestimated.

Bai Yun smirked. “I see that you remember my name. Our family’s business if nothing you need to interfere with. Bai Ting and I will deal with Bai Ying. Please leave.”

“Sheh Bai Ying invaded the nine level of heaven and injured at least ten of heaven’s soldiers. With her breaking just these laws, she is needed to be brought back! There is no mercy played when the laws of heaven are broken.”

“Our family’s business is nothing that you or heaven need to interfere with. Bai Ting, take Bai Ying away.”

“Yes sister,” said the second maiden in a tiny, yet sinister voice.

Before Bai Ting got a hold of Bai Ying’s arm, Er Lang Shen kicked her aside. Fumed at his actions, Bai Yun quickly engaged herself in a battle with this injured deity. One stroke after another, she attempted to knock off his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife, but only managed to put up an equivocal battle. Seeing the intense fight between the two, Bai Ting saw that there was no chance in her sister winning this match. She slithered herself to the other side and emerged a burst of venomous poison towards Er Lang Shen’s eyes. He gaped in shock as he quickly blocked the emission with his arms. Quickly taking this chance, Bai Yun palmed him in his chest and cast him off the cliff.

Er Lang Shen attempted to use his powers to return to the cliff, but when he realized that there was a mortal present at the shore below him, he could only let himself fall as he hid his third eye, for it’s against the laws of heaven to allow a mortal see a deity’s supernatural powers.

Seeing Er Lang Shen cast off the cliff, Bai Yun and Bai Ting smiled to each other as they turned around to bring their disobediently sister home.

“Big sister, Bai Ying is gone!” exclaimed Bai Ting.

Bai Yun immediately scrutinized the area. “She’s injured. She couldn’t have gone far. Let us go find her.”

`

Wan Wan, who was drained and worn out from the day's hard work, finally got a chance to get out of the restaurant for a fresh breath of air when Yue Ying told her she would substitute for her. She wandered out the city and into the riverside, her favorite place for relaxation.

As she skipped along the shore, kicking rocks into the water for pleasure, the joyful expression on her face sunk when she witnessed a body dropping from the cliff above. Wan Wan’s spirit collapsed as the body plopped into the river, creating an enormous wave that permeated the water in a vast distance. Shocked and speechless, her body froze instantly. Only when the water recoiled—creating millions of tiny ripples—did she regained her awareness of the surrounding.

She immediately rushed into the river to rescue the victim. After much struggle, she managed to drag the body to shore. Panting hardly, she checked the victim’s pulse and realized that there was no pulse at all. Stunned that this man might have died, she quickly removed the hair that was shielding his face and was astounded by the young man’s handsome face. Never in her life had she seen a man of this godly figure. Knowing that she was off task when admiring his attractiveness, she shook her head from the though. Without contemplating further, she inhaled a deep breath of the fresh countryside atmosphere. Though she was clear that a maiden shouldn’t have any intercourse with the opposite sex, in this situation, she was no left with no choice as she placed her lips against his, releasing the mouthful of oxygen into his mouth, hoping to save his life.

Her heart pounded immensely as their lips came in contact. She found herself sauntering into a listless state and the world seemed to have froze that very moment. When she realized the position she was in, she instantly pulled herself back. Flushed and embarrassed, she reassured herself that her only goal was just to revive him and nothing further.

`

"Xiao Yu, where can you be?" Bai Ying uttered faintly as she trembled along the pebbled path. Soon, everything before her eyes started spinning and she stumbled unconsciously onto the ground.

Meanwhile, Ah Liang was walking home from a trip to a nearby city to buy some special merchandise that couldn't be found in their province. Upon seeing a girl fainting in the grass, the ever so kindhearted Ah Liang quickly ran over to see what he could do to help.

"Miss! Are you okay?" said Ah Liang as he tapped her cheeks lightly.

Bai Ying opened her eyes a slight bit, and saw a blurry, yet familiar face before her eyes, "Xiao Yu…"

Seeing that she was injured, he quickly carried her to shaded spot under a pine tree and bounded her wound. Unknown to them, two pairs of eyes were carefully observing them in the shadows of the trees.

“Big sister, should we get her?”

“Let her be. Once she realized that Huang Xiao Yu has forgotten about her, she’ll forget about that unworthy fool.”

`

Zhuge Wan waited quietly by the unconscious stranger, afraid that he might have passed away. After a few minutes however, his body started showing slight movement. Wan Wan found herself in a state of ecstasy as she waited for him to wake.

When Er Lang Shen’s eyes gradually lifted, he saw an unfamiliar mortal before him.

“You’ve woke up! You’re a lucky one, I tell you. Others would’ve died from such a fall, but you’re not even left with a scratch, I guess there are such things as a miracle, especially since I felt no pulse at all at first,” her delicate lips curved into a simple smile.

Unsure of how to respond, Er Lang Shen only remained silent.

“By the way, I am Zhuge Wan. What is young master’s name?” questioned the young maiden.

“I must get going now. Thank you for your help Miss Zhuge. If you are ever to need my help, I will be sure to assist you. Farewell,” Er Lang Shen quickly said before standing up. Before Wan Wan could have said a thing, he trotted off.

“How can I ask for your help if I don’t even know your name?” pondered the bewildered young girl as she made her way back home.

`

The sky darkened as the sun slowly crept behind the horizon. The long shadows cast from the setting sun’s rays emerged with the darkness of the pitch black night. But luckily for travelers, the moon and stars were shining brighter than ever to guide their path.

Under the oak tree, Bai Ying still hadn't awakened. Afraid that bandits would kidnapped and molest this fragile looking girl, Ah Liang planned to stay by her side until she arose. Soon, he drifted in a quick snooze as his head tumbled back against the tree.

When the full moon shone upon Bai Yin's face, the energy slowly kindled her spirit. As Ah Liang noticed movement, he jerked up and quickly rushed to her side.

"Miss, are you okay?" inquired the concerned Ah Liang.

Bai Ying found familiarity in that voice as she struggled to open her eyes. The blurry image of the man that appeared in front of her slowly got clearer. Shocked at the person she saw before her, Bai Ying quickly grabbed his shoulders and cried, "Xiao Yu! It's really you!" She embraced the body she longed for as her arms encircled him and continued, "I thought I would never see you again." A tear developed in the corner of her eyes and sparkled down her cheek.

"Miss, miss!" cried the startled Ah Liang. He immediately pulled himself from her grasp and backed away. "I think you have mistaken me for someone else. I'm not Xiao Yu, my name is Zhuge Liang."

"No! No! You are Huang Xiao Yu, why are you denying it?!" Bai Ying bawled as she held a firm grip onto his hand, telling herself that she could not let go of him again. She could not lose him again. She just couldn’t. She was so focused on this thought that she did not realized that the intensity of her sharp nails caused blood to surface his arms.

"Miss, calm down!" Ah Liang declared as he flung her arm off to examine at his own cuts.

"Are you okay?" the maiden grabbed his arm in concern and inspected his cut. No matter how he tried to resist this, the unbelievable strength of this bizarre maiden was much more powerful than his own.

"I'm sorry," murmured Bai Ying as she stared sincerely into his eyes. The way she looked at him gave him a soothing feeling, as if he had experienced it before. Bai Ying motioned her hand over his injury as glitters flickered around it. Suddenly, the cut began to close up. Soon, his hand was healed, leaving soft new skin in its place. He gaped at her in disbelief as his eyes widened with fear.

"De-demon!" shrieked Ah Liang as he scurried away, tripping a few times in the process.

"Xiao Yu!" cried Bai Ying. "Xiao Yu!"

Ah Liang did not listen. He darted away so fast that he even left his luggage behind. Bai Ying used her magical power and shrunk his luggage, hiding them in a small sack that dangled on her waistband.

Terrified by the sight he just saw, Ah Liang kept on running and running. Who was that maiden? He wasn’t sure if he wanted to find out.

All of a sudden, the same peculiar maiden materialized in front of him. Ah Liang's eyes widened as he turned around and ran again, but Bai Ying would just appeared in front of him again. When Ah Liang turned around again, there were at least a dozen Bai Yings surrounding him. He stared at the images circulating him as his heartbeat rose every second. After a quick inspection of the situation, he knew he could no longer run from it. Deciding to face the maiden, he exhaled a long sigh of discontentment and fear.

"Who are you? What are you? What do you want?" questioned Ah Liang coldly.

Seeing that he could not recognize her, she started to believe the words of Er Lang Shen. She collected the many images of herself and walked beside him and gently questioned, "Do you really not remember me?"

"No! I do not know of any demons!" retorted Ah Liang.

Bai Ying whispered gently in his ears, "Xiao Yu, there will be one day where you will remember. I will not pressure you any longer." She then raised her arm as she sprinkled some magic over his head without him noticing and walked off.

When Ah Liang turned around, Bai Ying was already gone and his luggage was beside him. Startled at the incident, Ah Liang quickly grabbed his belongings and dashed for home.

`

While the rest of the household were in their peaceful slumber, Yue Ying loitered by the doorway, patiently waiting for her husband. It was almost midnight and Ah Liang still hadn’t returned from his trip. Though the family had reassured her that he was alright and probably had a few delays, she could not sleep until she saw her husband’s presence.

“Ah Liang!" Yue Ying chirped happily when she saw a familiar figure in the bright moonlight.

Ah Liang quickly scurried into the house and nervously locked the door as he sat down on the table and poured himself a cup of tea while his arms shook frantically.

"Ah Liang, what's wrong?"

"I-I saw something," Ah Liang replied as he took a gulp of tea.

"You saw something? What was it?" his wife questioned, her eyes sparkling with curiosity, and the same time, concern.

Before Zhuge Liang could responded, an incredible headache burst out. "Ah!" Ah Liang screamed in agony as he held his head with his two hands, hoping to suppress the pain. His heart-wrenching shriek awoke the whole family. Everyone ran out to find Ah Liang collapsing to the ground.

"Ah Liang!" cried the startled Yue Ying.

"Promise me, we'll live the rest of our lives together even if it's against heaven's rules," said a gentle voice of a woman.

"I promise you," said the voice of a man.

Ah Liang jerked up as sweat dribbled down his forehead. He scanned the area around him. He was back in his room. The doors suddenly opened and Yue Ying entered.

"Ah Liang!" cried Yue Ying happily as she placed a bucket of water on the table and sat by his side. She held tightly onto his hand, "You're finally awake."

"What happened to me?"

"You fainted from a headache when you returned yesterday. What as wrong?" Yue Ying pondered as she wiped his sweat off of his forehead.

"Nothing. I'm fine," Ah Liang reassured as he embraced his wife. Though a million questioned lingered in his brain, he pushed it all back, trying to ignore it all.

Wow, Kaiyi, can you teach me how to make beautiful posters like these?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

hey suet seung. babiadorkable did like half of those posters. lol. took us a lot and a lot of practice but i think the outcome is worth it.

And Ge Qian made the main poster ^^

Default Chapter 5: A Promise Kept, A Mission Failed

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i17.tinypic.com/4p9eyi9.jpg')

High above the white clouds where gods and goddesses dwelled, drumming sounds of footsteps vibrated though the levels of heaven as each deity made their way to the royal hall for a sudden meeting.

When all the deities assembled into two perfect lines along the sides of the red carpet that was embroidered with golden edges rolling from the doorway to the throne of the Jade Emperor, they greeted him in perfect unison.

The Jade Emperor nodded and began his proposal, "Wars have been raging on in the world of the mortals. Selfish men are fighting for authority and thus, many innocents are suffering because of their avarice of power and wealth. Though we are not supposed to interfere with the mortals' issues, this will be an exception. Since the demons have intervened by assisting Cao Cao, we cannot sit back and watch them bring havoc to mankind. We must put a stop to this raging war and propose what we have organized for mankind to become reality. Does anyone have any propositions for the actions that are to be taken?"

"Your highness, I have a suggestion," Er Lang Shen spoke as he stood forth to the emperor.

"Speak of your proposal."

"Huang Xiao Yu is now a mortal due to his mishaps. This can be a chance for him to redeem his doings by having him help Liu Bei win the war once and for all."

"With his superior intelligence, I'm sure that this duty can be accomplished," spoke another deity.

"Yes, Huang Xiao Yu was a worthy god that had a positive image on many of us. He losing to the temptations of the snake demon was inevitable for a young and inexperienced god like him. Please bestow him this one chance," said another.

"Jade Emperor, I know that you have always admired Huang Xiao Yu for his astuteness and cheerful personality. This is a chance worth giving," added another.

The Jade Emperor nodded in agreement after a moment of comprehension, "Then the decision is made, I will leave this mission to you, Er Lang Shen. After succeeding, there will be a second task needed for you to complete. In the Jing Province under the rule of Liu Biao's son, Liu Cong, the devils are using trickeries within this province attempting to assist Cao Cao in gaining country over it. Because of their interference, it will be your second task to protect this province. However, you cannot reveal your identity as a god."

"I will do my best," bowed Er Lang Shen.

`

A bold man with a stern face in his mid forties advanced forward with his army of a thousand peasants lagging behind him. His thick eyebrows, small beard, and built body stood out immensely—for no one would be able to forget his unique face once they encountered it.

This man turned around and heaved a sigh as he looked at his worn out men who had been traveling vigorously for days.

"Men," he announced, "we will take a brief break, but this break must be short. We must hurry to JiangLing before Cao Cao and his troops catch up with us."

Every single man crumpled down to the damp grass in exhaustion. Needing some water to freshen up, this leader headed towards the river. Tainted from distance bloodshed, the clean water flowed roughly down the stream. The man lowered himself, splashing some water on his worn out face. The water rebounded back naturally into the river as small ripples formed upon his own reflection. When the ripples slowly disappeared, a face materialized in the water. Startled, the man quickly stood up and turned around.

Standing before him was an old man with a tiny gray beard, squinty eyes, and a miniature frame wrapped in simple attires. He carried a dainty smile on his face and a cane in his hand.

"Who are you?" he whispered calmly.

The elder man looked deeply into his eyes like he could make out his soul, "You must be Liu Bei. I am here to advise you."

Liu Bei, dumbstruck by his words, replied doubtingly, "Advise me? For what knowledge do you have to do so?"

The mysterious man's lips curved upward again as he continued, "Liu Bei, born in 161, a descendant of Liu Sheng. The love of your life died when you were eighteen. Though you remarried, you have never forgotten her. Am I right?"

Liu Bei stared at the strange man, wondering how he knew his deepest sorrow whom no one has ever knew of. His eyes drowned in melancholy as he reminisced of the woman he loved dying in his arms.

The mysterious man continued, "You mustn't be sad, let bygones be bygones Now, let's get serious, shall we? Have you ever thought of how you can defeat Cao Cao?"

"Cao Cao?" whispered Liu Bei as he snapped from of his thoughts.

Noticing his interested, the older man grinned. "I am here to advise you and lead you to victory. This piece of red paper will indubitably help you draw a conclusion. Just venture into the small village within a few miles north from here. There, you'll find your guide to victory." He handed a small piece of red paper to the Liu Bei. Once he got a hold of it, the mysterious man left as quickly as he came. Liu Bei stared at his mist in astonishment, believing that it was a god who has just spoken to him.

"Baozi? What is baozi?" the bewildered Liu Bei read as he unfolded the piece of red paper. He compressed the piece of paper in his hand as he thought. Believing that it really was an advice from heaven, he decided to venture into that nearby city for a search on this mysterious item, or person with the name of baozi.

Er Lang Shen watched the scene from above the clouds with his mystical third eye. With his first task accomplished, it was now time for his second one.

Suddenly, a distance shriek echoed through the deity's ear. It was a female, pleading for help. Quickly shifting his mystical eye, a familiar woman was spotted being chased by a few malicious soldiers a few miles away. With one glance, Er Lang Shen could tell they were Cao Cao's men from their brown and red uniform, and the maiden that they were chasing was the same one who helped him last time.

“If you are ever to need my help, I will be sure to assist you.” Those were the words he remembered telling this fair maiden. He knew he shouldn't interfere in any mortal's affairs especially since he still had another duty to perform, but this case was different. A man must keep his words. Deity or human—he was no exception. He made a promise, and it was one that he must keep. But never would he know that this simple promise could lead him into a forever intertwining destiny with the maiden.

Disguised as a young man by transforming himself into mortal apparels of royal blue, he descended down to earth with Xiao Tian Quan, who became a magnificent black stallion, and his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife an elegant iron spear. Striding his stallion, Er Lang Shen quickly galloped to the scene.

"Let go of me! Help!" yelped Wan Wan helplessly as the malicious soldiers pushed her against a tree. She was horrified as tears plunged from her sparkling eyes. She tried to push these beast-like men away, but it was in vain since they were much stronger. It was times like these that Wan Wan regretted not listening to her Brother Jin’s advice. Now, it’s too late and she could only blame herself.

"We will have lots of fun with this little beauty," cackled a menacing looking soldier as his slimy fingers stroke her face.

"Let go of her," announced a handsome young man with a spear in his hand. The soldiers glared at him with displeasure and immediately unsheathed their sword, pointing it in his direction

"Who are you?" a pointed-nose soldier demanded as he held his sword forward. Er Lang Shen smirked at his words. Infuriated with his response, the pointed-nose soldier charged with his weapon. Er Lang Shen swiftly slashed his spear across the horizon, and the soldier instantly fell to the ground. He was motionless. His companions trembled with fear as they quickly scurried away.

Wan Wan immediately ran towards her benefactor with a relieved smile and curtsied, "Thank you, Young Master. May I know your name?" The young man stared at her for a second as he studied her face. It seemed like she did not recognized him. But he had thought too soon. Once she lifted her head, she realized it was the young man she saved before.
    “It is you! We’ve met again! This time, you must tell me your name” she beamed.

"My name is not of any importance," muttered Er Lang Shen as he astride his mighty stallion.

"But—"

"Hop on, let me escort you home to prevent anymore encounters with those ominous beasts," said Er Lang Shen as he offered his hand. Wan Wan carried a small debate with herself, but gratefully took the hand as a delicate smile framed her face.

Being her first time on the back of a horse, a feeling of uneasiness crawled up her spine. She wrapped her arm tightly around the young man as the horse started galloping away. Er Lang Shen felt his heart beating a bit faster upon their contact, but he shook his head and loosened the thought as he focused on the path ahead.

After a short period of traveling with Wan Wan frequently pointing the directions, they had finally reached the small village where Wan Wan resided.

"We have arrive, I think you will be safe here," Er Lang Shen stated when they arrived in front of the small baozi place.

Seeing her sister outside accompanied by a handsome man on a beautiful stallion, Zhuge Liang ventured out to see what was happening.

"Wan Wan! Where have you been?" teased Ah Liang as he poked her on the head. Er Lang Shen was shocked at this sudden encounter with Huang Xiao Yu. He had never known that this was the place where he lived, or that Wan Wan was related to him.

"Stop it," snapped Wan Wan. Er Lang Shen listened carefully to their arguments and laughers.

"Thank you for bringing my sister home from wherever she wandered. May I know your identity?" questioned Ah Liang as he diverted his attention to Er Lang Shen.

Er Lang Shen did not answer as he glanced at Wan Wan—who gave Ah Liang a pinch—for one last time before he galloped away. Still curious about his name which she desired to obtain, Wan Wan could only watched until he disappeared into the sunset like a valiant warrior walking into the sparkling sun. She sighed and secretly hoped that their journey through life will intersect again one day.

"Who was that?" the curious Ah Liang asked again as he stared at his little sister. For some reasons, the man appeared quite familiar to him, yet he could not recall where they've met before.

"I don't know," said Wan Wan blithely as she skipped into the baozi stand, leaving Ah Liang there, pondering about this strange encounter.

"Ah!" screamed Ah Liang as he felt a sudden pressure against his head. He pressed his palms against it as he fell to the ground. He bit onto his teeth as the immense pain continued to disturb him, just like it did with the encountering of Bai Ying.

"Ah Liang!" yelled Ah Jin as he rushed out to support his brother.

"What's wrong?" cried Xiu Zhen, Zhuge Jin's wife, who followed her husband.

"My… My head hurts," Ah Liang struggled to say. He continued to press his palms onto his head as he tried to suppress the pain, but it would only intensified. Then, his surroundings were slowly being swallowed by a rage of darkness. In seconds, the darkness had everything engulfed in its claw and all Ah Liang saw was utter emptiness. His body trembled downward, unconscious.

"Ah Liang!" shouted Ah Jin and Xiu Zhen in unison.

`

Racing quickly across the skies, Er Lang Shen hurried to arrive in the Jing Province to save the life of Wei Yan. Once he reached his destination, he realized that the battle had ended. Silence permeated throughout the area as dead bodies covered every inch of the bloodstained ground. The flag of Cao Cao had been raised. Liu Cong had surrendered. Er Lang Shen had failed his second duty because of his promise to a mortal. How is it that a mere promise to mortal could change the history of China? Er Lang Shen immediately speeded back to heaven to inform the Jade Emperor of his failure. Guilt and shame penetrated him.

`

At the corner of his eyes, Ah Liang saw a blurry face of a familiar handsome young man around his age, watching him with a solid face.

"Why must they do this to us?" the young man cried. His eyes frowning with sorrow that one could not describe. Opposite of his stood a man with three eyes who forced him to his knee. The young man who held Ah Liang’s face looked around the frightening place where ghostly sounds were heard and cadaverous faces were seen all over. The only colors that was visible were white, black, and green. There was no feeling of life here, only the feeling of death. He heard the bubbling sound of oil behind him, causing his fear to escalate.

Ah Liang saw the young man lift and his face was struck with fear. Ah Liang followed his gaze and to his surprise, it was Yan Luo, the king of the underworld. His face was full of darkness as he took his spot on the intimidating throne. Next to him stood Ox-Head and Horse-Face.

"Meng Po, bring him his Five Flavored Tea of Forgetfulness," Yan Luo commanded.

"Yes, your highness," said Meng Po, the Lady of Forgetfulness.

"No! No I will not drink it! I can not forget Bai Ying! I can't! Please, please don't do this!" begged the young man.

"Hold him down and feed it to him," ordered Yan Luo.

"No! Please! No!" he wept as he struggled while Meng Po pour the tea down his throat.

Suddenly, Zhuge Liang jerked up and found himself in his own bed. It was all just a dream, but what could that dream mean? Who was that blurry face man? Why was he having such odd dreams? He felt his forehead. Sweat was trickling down his head again. Against the moonlight outside, he found something different in his sweat. He quickly stood up and walked toward the window. He gasped in terror; his sweat was gold and glistening, like the golden color of a goldfish.

Default Liu Bei's Three Visits

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i9.tinypic.com/6ceufbt.jpg')

The sun glowered over Yangdu County as citizens began their daily routines. It was a new morning and Zhuge Liang appeared perfectly fine. Hoping to take away last night’s thoughts from his troubled mind, he offered to lend a hand out at their baozi eatery. Although everyone strongly encouraged him to rest for another day, Ah Liang argued that he was completely fine. His family was still doubtful but agreed to his request in the end.

That same morning, Liu Bei meandered down the streets looking for 'baozi' just like the god advised. Though he knew that by delaying their journey the lives of his men will stay in jeopardy, a feeling told him that this would be a principle step to victory. Therefore, he ordered for his men to split up in two directions. While one group stayed at the Peaceful Time Inn—a completely ironic name with the current situation of China to wait for him, the other continued to their original destination.

Liu Bei observed the stores and stalls that fluttered by as he strolled down the street in simple flax apparels, like a random dawdler of the populated village. As he kept his eyes up in search for the characters "Baozi," a little boy about ten years old fortuitously bumped into him and fell, his butt plopping on the dusty ground.

"Are you okay?" asked Liu Bei as he assisted the boy who quickly ran over to grab the package he dropped. The adolescent promptly opened it and relieved a sigh once he knew that his five baozis were in perfect condition.

"I'm fine. Thank you," replied the little boy courteously, noticing the older man staring at his baozi with inquisitiveness. "Would you like a baozi?"
    "Baozi?" mumbled Liu Bei in bewilderment. "Where did you buy this… baozi?"

The boy told him the directions and ran off after Liu Bei thanked him. The middle-age man then paced off following the directions of the kid.
    Glancing at the stores and stalls that scattered down the busy street, a small restaurant with a plain yet prominent external appearance caught his attention. Everything of it seemed unadorned compared to the lavish restaurants all around, but the prevailing way the characters of the eatery's simple and playful name—Gold Nuggets—was indescribable, for the uniqueness of its golden shine within each stroke was beyond the ordinary, showing the elegance of the writer’s style. Liu Bei believed that this was the place where that old man had wanted him to discover. As he took a step in and examined the tiny room, Liu Bei’s eyes trailed off to a fair maiden who was approaching an intelligent looking young man at the counter. Though the maiden was a rare beauty, Liu Bei found the young man quite fascinating. His never-before seen sharp eyes stood out from others. There was indeed something about this young man that made one felt ease at his presence.

"Zhuge Liang!" exclaimed Wan Wan as she approached him.

"What?" uttered Ah Liang who kept his eyes on his abacus.

"Did you leave that big bag of flour open on the countertop in the kitchen?" Wan Wan inquired as she tapped her fingers on the counter.
    Ah Liang's eyes wandered around the room a little but with apprehension, he answered quietly, "Yes."

"Well, little four years old Ah Ke knocked it down and now he's all dirty. If it was for an outsider, it's surely hard to believe you, the most intelligent one in the family, would be so carelessly. I don't know how sister in law can tolerate you!"

"Hey! Respect your elders! Where is Ah Ke now?"

“Sister Xiu Zhen is cleaning him up."

"Well then it's not my problem anymore if it's fixed."

"You—" Wan Wan released a grunt of dissatisfaction and turned around with her arms crossed as Ah Liang gave her a face.

"What were you two arguing about?" another fair lady entered with an amused smile and a platter of fresh baozi in her hands. Immediately forgetting about the recent argument with the presence of his wife, Ah liang happily approached Yue Ying and took the platter from her hands, "I'll take it for you."

Yue Ying nodded and directed him to the table to which he was to deliver the platter. Sighting a new customer, Yue Ying headed over and greeted him earnestly with a smile that framed her charming face.

"Greetings master, are you interested in trying the small dishes of our eatery?" said Yue Ying in a harmonious voice that not many ladies bear.
    Studying her dazzling face for a short while, Liu Bei replied "I'll be happy to," and Yue Ying led him to an empty table and that was where he situated for quite a while. Again, he was amazed by the allure of this lady. Though she did not have the classic beauty of the first, she held an unparalleled grace that he had never witnessed before. She was not furnished with beautiful clothing or exquisite jewelries, yet the clothes that wrapped around her elegant figure seemed to be more stunning than the most expensive silk or valuable gold.

As the day went on, Zhuge Liang noticed that the same customer at that same table has been watching them the whole time. Curious about his reason for observing, he decided to confront him.

"Mister, dusk is drawing near and our eatery is closing in a little while. You've been sitting here for almost the whole day. Is there something we can help you with?" questioned Ah Liang mannerly.

"I've watched your actions and studied your paintings hanging in this restaurant. Your calligraphy's skill is indeed remarkable. The way you painted each article and the way you handle your customers was with wit and incisive thinking. Have you ever considered joining the Shu army and assisting Liu Bei to achieve peace in this time of war and disorder?"

"Me? My ideas may be witty, but they are surely nothing to put on a big table to be observed by great generals like Liu Bei that affects the future of our country. Besides, a simple life is all I crave for. I do not believe in engaging into the affairs of the war, for too many lives have been risk already and nothing has yet been achieved—"

"Then won't you want to help achieve something in this war and perhaps preventing further bloodsheds?"

"I'm sure there are many out there with a higher level of intelligence that is looking for this opportunity. And I, I am just a common villager out of the million others who hopes for peaceful days in our homeland, General Liu."

Liu Bei was stunned. "How did you who I am?" he inquired with skepticism. This man was truly something.

Zhuge Liang smiled. "Your apparel may be that of a plain villager, but the piece of luminous jade dangling besides your waistband with the surname of Liu carved adeptly on it in the Shu army's style gave it away easily."

"Since you know of my identity, would you be interested in assisting me?"

"I'm sorry. I am just a simple peasant in this small village. I have no interest in war and restoring peace is not a job I can handle. If you request for an advisor, I'm sure that thousands of intellectual scholars from all of China will line up before your gates."

"Yes, that may be true, but you are the one who I believe can aid me."

"Thank you for your offer, but I have a family to take care of."
    Yue Ying walked over when she saw her husband turning his head towards her. Leaning over Ah Liang's shoulder as she smiled sweetly at Liu Bei,

"Excuse me sir." She directed her attention to Ah Liang and continued,
    "It's almost dusk. We have to close."

Ah Liang smiled and pinched her cheeks slightly. Liu Bei smiled at the two, realizaing their relationship and his prime reason for not engaging into war, but this man before him was the man that heaven insisted to guide him and he was positive that he's his destined advisor that will help him achieve his goals. "Zhuge Liang, consider my offer. It's an offer that that could change your whole life." Without saying more, Liu Bei left a golden nugget on the table and left.

Awed at the large sum of taels on the table, Zhuge Liang attempted to chase after the great general to explain that this sufficient amount was not needed, but the general was no where to be seen when he stepped into the streets. He then decided to keep it until Liu Bei returns.

"Ah Liang, when do you think Liu Bei will come back again?" asked Yue Ying curiously as she held onto her husband's sleeve.

"How did you know it was Liu Bei?" inquired Zhuge Liang.

“Did you forget that I could read lips?” Yue Ying grinned, yet a luminous shadow hung in the pupil of her eyes. Ah Liang smiled at his wife’s intelligence as he took her hands. Yue Ying then continued, "I heard that he and Cao Cao are gaining much power in this civil war of the Shu, Wei, and Wu Kingdoms. Within this year, Zhang Meng has been attacked by the Yong State troops, Yue Jin defeated Guan Cheng at the Battle of Changguang, and Yu Jin killed Chang Zi at the Battle of Donghai already. The boundaries of these three kingdoms need to be marked before a certain dynasty prevails. Otherwise, it will just be the citizens that will suffer. In these years of war, peace was never an option for the people of China. I really hope that this will all end soon."

"Don't worry, it will," comforted Ah Liang as they went back and closed the doors of their eatery.

`

“The boundaries of these three kingdoms need to be marked before a certain dynasty prevails. Otherwise, it will just be the citizens that will suffer….”

These two simple sentences composed by his beloved wife reiterated again and again in his mind as the next day arrived. It was just a simple belief of a woman, but the inspiration behind it that it gave Zhuge Liang was inconceivable.

“The boundaries of these three kingdoms need to be marked before a certain dynasty prevails. Otherwise, it will just be the citizens that will suffer…" Zhuge Liang repeated to himself as he pounded the flour in the kitchen of their eatery to use for baozis later. He reached for the kettle of hot water. Absentmindedly, he gasped when the scorching hot water burnt his hand. He rubbed and blew frantically on his burnt hand as he tried to suppress the pain. Odd enough to say, the red burn that resulted a short while ago slowly lessened as he rubbed it. Soon, it disappeared entirely. He felt his heart skipping a beat as he remembered the same occurrence when that strange demon maiden brushed her hand over his. Afraid that she placed a spell on him somehow, he immediately went to wash his hands as sweat the color of gold dropped down his face without him noticing.

Outside of the eatery, Liu Bei seated himself as he consumed a few baozis, waiting for Zhuge Liang's appearance and decision. Catching glimspe of the same man sitting at the same table he did yesterday, Yue Ying glanced a few times before heading inside to inform her husband.
    Ah Liang appeared to be making baozi, but with a single glance, Lady Zhuge could make out the disturbance on her husband’s face. Spotting his wife, he approached her. However, with the many thoughts flying in his mind, he almost tripped over a chair.

"Are you okay?" Yue Ying murmured in a troubling voice as she supported him. Ah Liang reassured her with a smile.

“Liu Bei is outside…”

`
    "General Liu, this belongs to you. You forgot your change yesterday," greeted Ah Liang politely as he approached the calm general with Yue Ying behind him and placed a gold ingot down on the table before Liu Bei.

"Your baozi deserves it. Have you made your decision?" asked Liu Bei anxiously.

"I've given you a reply during your first visit, and it had not changed," answered Ah Liang. He grasped onto Yue Ying's hand and clutched it tightly. "I will not do anything to worry the one I love."

Although Yue Ying remained silent, happiness rushed within her soul and butterflies fluttered in her stomach when she heard her husband’s words. An indescribable feeling of joy brightened her spirit.

"The boundaries of the three kingdoms will soon have to be marked before one's domination; otherwise, it will just be the citizens that suffer. With the intelligence you enclose, it's a pity that it's not used to improve the lives of these citizens. I will be leaving now.” Liu Bei shook his head in disappointment as he turned around and left.

A look of indecisiveness dominated Ah Liang’s face as he watched the great general’s departure. Yue Ying saw the partial regret in her husband’s expression and exhale a sigh of distressed, afraid that she had made the wrong choice by advising him not to aid Liu Bei.

“Ah Liang, if you wish to assist the general. I will not object. Though I do not want for husband to leave me, I am a wife and should think for the other wives as well. If my husband can help prevent their husbands from dying, then perhaps it may not be a bad idea. Ah Liang, no matter what happens, no matter what you do, you will always have my support,” said Yue Ying in her charismatic voice as she locked her eyes onto his. Zhuge Liang stared deeply into his wife’s large, alluring eyes. She had never failed to impress him with the ability to read his thoughts as if they were her own.

"I can't leave you," muttered Ah Liang as he stroke her cheeks. "I would hate for you to have to worry about me. I would hate for you to not be by my side for years. I would hate to sleep without you by my side every night. I love you so much that nothing else matters."

Yue Ying smiled enchantingly at his reply, but was still unsure of it all when she felt his pounding heartbeat as he embraced her. No doubt she was utterly happy of her husband’s decision. However, a persistent skepticism remained in her heart. Something told her that not everything would go the way they wanted.

'The boundaries of the three kingdoms will soon have to be marked before one's domination; otherwise, it will just be the citizens that suffers.' Liu Bei's words contained the same ideas as Yue Ying, and his voice reiterated in Zhuge Liang's mind in unison with Yue Ying's. Then his thought trailed to Yue Ying’s other words, “Ah Liang, if you wish to assist the general. I will not object…no matter what you do, you will always have my support.”

`

As Zhuge Liang took a break up in the mountains after long hours of work, he heard the sudden screeching of a man who was being chased by soldiers in brown and red-the Wei army. Without any knowledge of martial arts or any type of defense, Ah Liang hid behind a tree as he watched.
    Mercilessly, the two soldiers knocked the middle aged man onto the ground and yanked a wallet and jade piece from the distraught man. Laughing, they gave him one last kick and strutted away, leaving the man helplessly on the ground. Once the soldiers were gone, Ah Liang immediately rushed over.

"Mister, are you all right?" asked Ah Liang. The man cried out loud at the present of this stranger.

“Everything’s gone now! My poor son, where will I get the money to take him to a doctor? They even took the my family's last treasure,” Tears formed around the man’s tiny eyes that were clouded by terror. Ah Liang felt pity for this man and immediately dug his hand in his pocket, pulling out a couple of taels that was supposedly the money to buy flour.

“This is all I have. I hope it can help you…”

The grateful man continuously thanked Ah Liang and hurried off, warning Ah Liang of Cao Cao’s soldiers before leaving. Ah Liang watched until the man was out of sight, praying that heaven will watch over him and his family.

`

“The boundaries of the three kingdoms will soon have to be marked before one's domination; otherwise, it will just be the citizens that suffer.”

“I am a wife and should think for the other wives as well. If my husband can help prevent their husbands from dying, then perhaps it may not be a bad idea.”

`

At the dinner table that night, with his big brother Ah Jin, sister-in-law Xiu Zhen, four year old nephew Ah Ke, Yue Ying, his second brother Ah Jun, and his little sister Wan Wan, the same phrases reiterated again and again in his mind, and soon he started mumbling them to himself.

"Ah Liang are you okay?" asked Xiu Zhen when she noticed him poking at his rice bowl. Ah Liang did not reply.

"Ah Liang," called Ah Jin. Still, Ah Liang didn't reply.

"Hey," said Wan Wan as she poked him on the shoulder.

"What?" wondered Ah Liang when he noticed that everyone of his household was staring at him, even little Ah Ke.

"Second brother's face looked exactly like he did before he married Sister Yue Ying, when she was the only one on his mind. Do you have someone else on your mind?" questioned Wan Wan.

"Of course not," barked Ah Liang.

"Are Liu Bei's words troubling you?" asked Yue Ying thoughtfully, not bother by Wan Wan’s joke.

"Liu Bei?" inquired Ah Jin with interest.

Sighting Ah Liang's nod for her to explain, Yue Ying began, "Liu Bei came to our Baozi stand twice asking for Ah Liang to help him aid his army."

"And I objected," stated Ah Liang nonchalantly as he stuffed some rice into his mouth.

"Ah Liang, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If I am able to, I would be glorified to serve for our country," convinced Ah Jin.

"If glory means to abandon the ones I love and have them worry, then that is not my choice. As more people join, the longer the war will be. I'm just a commoner who can't afford to lose anything. I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose Ah Ke or Sister Xiu Zhen," retorted Ah Liang.

Ah Jin thought for a while as he looked at his beloved wife and child. "Father, mother, and our uncle died because of this very war under Cao Cao's army. Then why must one not take the chance to bring this to an end before more lives are taken? You can't be that selfish just to care for yourself and what you have. By living in the middle kingdom, one of your duties is to protect it and bring peace among the land that you stand on and the place that you call home. With your intelligence, I'm sure Liu Bei has made the right decision to ask you."

"I have wit that many others too carry, even you. If I'm to join the Shu army, the Wu and Wei are to find other strategists at and above my level to guide them. This will only provoke more battles and more lives to be wasted."

"Then would you rather die as a regular civilian or die with glory knowing that you've tried to bring peace among our land? Are the lives of your parents and family members by the Wei army not worth your commitment in this battle? You are selfish Zhuge Liang. Selfish!" Ah Jin stood up and made his way out the door.

Ah Liang and Ah Jun exchanged a few glances with each other before Ah Jun spoke up. "Second brother, big brother is right. We've studied together so hard while big brother tends the family and feed us. If it is not to defend our own country from war within itself before it fights others, then what is our point for learning? Didn't we learn so we can use it for our country?"

Ah Liang remained silent as he continued eating the delicacies prepared by his beloved wife and Xiu Zhen, acting as if he heard nothing, but each and every comment was greatly put into thought.

`

As night dwelled upon them, Zhuge Liang wrapped himself with the thin layers of sheets in his bed as Yue Ying entered the room. Sitting besides her husband, she touched his face and he opened his eyes, gazing at his wife.

"I thought you were asleep," whispered Yue Ying softly.

"Not until I see you by my side," replied Ah Liang sweetly.

"Ah Liang, are you sure that you will not regret objecting Liu Bei‘s offer?"

"Of course not, for giving up that chance will mean for you to be by my side at all times."

"Ah Liang, I have thought about it. Perhaps this is fate. I was foolish to fear that I might lose you. I realized that no matter where you are, your heart will always be with me and mine too, will always be by your side. Beside, if you are to aid Liu Bei in the battlefield, I too will go with you. I know quite a bit myself right? I can assist you and take care of you. If anything was to happen, we will die by each other’s side. Even if you are to help Liu Bei, we won’t have to separate. Dead or alive, we’ll always be together. With all that studying you and Ah Jun have done for all these years, this is a chance to put it into use. Just do what you want to do; I will always support you no matter what your final decision is." Ah Liang was silent, and pretended that he was asleep as he reflected over this repeatedly.

He had to face the deaths of his family brought by Cao Cao's army. He saw the man robbed by soldiers of Wei that early morning with his own eyes. The chance of protecting his own country lied right before him that could bring his family to fame and forever remembered; or live a simple and carefree life with his love one and not care about the suffering citizens, not care about the duration of this war, not care about the number of lives that will perish. But then again, can they really disregard the warfare surrounding them? Can they really live a carefree life while the lives of many others are at risk?

`

About three days passed before Liu Bei paid Zhuge Liang a final visit before he had to leave this city with the other half of his men, hoping for him to change his mind.

As Ah Liang sat behind the counter dealing with the math of their income and expenses, a shadow that stood before him blocked his light. He knew who it was before even looking up. Expectedly, it was Liu Bei.

"General Liu," acknowledged Ah Liang as he stood up.

"I will be leaving this city tomorrow, and I've decided to pay you one final visit before I make my departure to meet up with my army before we meet up with Liu Biao. Zhuge Liang, I believe that you are a fine individual who will be able to help settle the battle within China. I will ask you one more time, would you like to take this opportunity and join my army?"

Ah Liang looked into the eyes of the great general as a sensation of honor coiled up his spine. He examined his surroundings, and found that his family—Wan Wan, Ah Jin, Ah Jun, Yue Ying, Xiu Zhen—were all staring at him, waiting for him to decide. Looking back into the general's eyes, Ah Liang slowly took a step out of the counter and dropped to his knees and cupped his hands.

"Zhuge Liang will be honored to serve the Shu Kingdom," declared Zhuge Liang with assurance and determination flowing in his words, his voice beamed clear and confident, bonding with the rhymth of the pounding rain. A natural and proud smile perked on his family's faces the moment they heard his decision.
    Liu Bei nodded his head and beamed estacstically at his newly gained advisor. "I welcome you, Zhuge Liang."

Default Chapter 7: Warrior At Midnight

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i8.tinypic.com/4uahc2h.jpg')

Liu Bei... Chin Ka Lok
    Cao Cao... Lau Dan
    Er Lang Shen/Wei Yan... Raymond Lam
    Ne Zha... Jimmy Lin

`

Outside, the rain began to cease and the sun came from its hiding, smiling meekly down upon the earth. Its beams of glistening light reflected on the mortal’s land. A rainbow eventually arched its way across the once gloomy sky, representing a sign of hope and renewal for mankind. It was as if heaven was informing the citizens that hope was imminent.

Meanwhile, within a small refectory were two men discussing on the matters that will decide the future of the country and the lives of the many living within the middle kingdom.

“So tell me, Zhuge Liang, what have you to say about the current situation of the warring states?” Liu interrogated upon his new advisor who stood up and began to sketch an imaginary map on the rough wooden table.

“My Lord, at this moment, Cao Cao holds the most power within his palm. Placed on the table with Cao Cao of the Wei Kingdom and Sun Quan of the Wu Kingdom, Cao Cao is definitely your most fearsome enemy. Then there is Sun Quan who’s in control of the lower Yangtze River region. Please do not mind me for speaking so, but our state is the most vulnerable one at this very moment due to our geographic location and lack of subservient soldiers at this time,” Zhuge Liang spoke candidly, yet wisdom traced his words.

Liu Bei nodded, impressed at the straightforwardness of this young man for not many would have the guts to speak his mind before the warlord Liu Bei, “I like your honesty, Zhuge Liang. Go on.”

“Though our state is the most vulnerable in term of manpower and land, the Wu Kingdom is not much better with Cao Cao’s continuance power in the North. If we are to defeat Cao Cao, we must form an alliance with Sun Quan.”

“Sun Quan too is too our rival, for what reasons have we to convince him to ally with us?”

“My lord, though we are Sun Quan’s enemy, the Wei Kingdom is more threatening for them as well. If Cao Cao is gone, then that will only leave Sun Quan with one less enemy. Would it not benefit him as well?”

“Indeed.”

“Not only must we ally Sun Quan,” Ah Liang continued, “We must also befriend the neighboring countries outside the Middle Kingdom as well. Though we are geographically weaker since the Wu and Wei are by the sea, we are in good position to ally with the west. After all, it is better to have more friends than foes.”

“Your words are spoken with reasons. So be it, I will do as you advise.” As soon as Liu Bei finished talking, a man dressed in rags rushed in.

“My Lord! My Lord!” cried a peasant as he tumbled his way up to General Liu.

“Calm man, what is it?”

“C-Cao—C-C-Cao…” The peasant muttered the name with fear coating his words, “He took over Jingzhou! Liu Cong surrendered!!!”

Liu Bei’s jaw dropped uncontrollably as fear took its domination over his body. Glands of sweat formed in the heart of his palm, “This can’t be...!”

“This is phenomenal! Inform all our men, we must depart back to Liu Cong immediately!” proclaimed Liu Bei as he grasped the current situation. The peasant immediately nodded and dashed out to perform his duties.

“My lord, I have a suggestion. Reporting back to Liu Cong right now is of no use, for the suggestion of having him succeed Liu Biao was wrong in the first place. Whom we need to go to is Liu Qi in Jiangling, for he is a man completely different from his brother that carries intelligence and bravery. To assure your safety, I will lead your men and impersonate you to deceive Cao Cao while you and my family head to Jiangling first to unite with Liu Qi,” spoke Ah Liang calmly without distraction. By doing so, not only will the safety of his family be assured, Liu Bei will no doubt agree to the plan. Having the family of Zhuge Liang with him will guarantee that Zhuge Liang will not dare to betray him. Seeing the confident and calm face he had at the moment, Liu Bei agreed without hesitating.

Once Zhuge Liang notified his family of this news and ushered for them to get packed instantaneously, Yue Ying and Ah Jun instantly asked him to rethink this, for he is jeopardizing his life but eventually gave in after much debates. Zhuge Jin, who was completely silent during this discussion, presented another situation onto the table.

“Ah Liang, it’s good that you have your mind set in protecting the country, and I admire this bravery you carry. However, I feel ashamed that I, the eldest of the family, have had no achievement quite like yours yet. Ah Liang, you have found yourself a place in Liu Bei’s army. I too will find a place for myself in the army of another. Like you, I will fight to protect our country. My good brother, we will split here. I believe we will meet again on the battlefield one day, fighting against Cao Cao together.”.”

Though Ah Liang disagreed and strived to convince Ah Jin to join him in assisting Liu Bei, the latter would not listen and insisted that he knew what he was doing. Ah Jin knew that his younger sibling will always be ahead of him if he stays in his own army, for he does not wish to use this brother as stepping stone for him to soar. Ah Jin was determined that there will be one day where he’ll succeed and soar, bringing fame to his family and friends and be remembered for thousands and thousands of years.

In the end, Ah Liang gave in and wished his brother luck in the path of his destiny. Because of the sudden turn of events, the Zhuge brothers had a very brief farewell before their separation.

`

Dusk began to fall as an army of a thousand took flight into the darkness of the night, heading towards the South. The anxious men ran nonstop, afraid that their life would be at risk if they halted to take even a single breath. Less than half a mile behind them were the pounding hooves of five thousand steeds mounted by elite soldiers of Cao Cao.

Due to lack of energy from the long and rough flight, fatigue began to overtake Liu Bei’s men. As they were slowing down, Cao Cao’s horsemen grew more intense as their speed heightened with each pounding beat.

Within the time of an incense, Liu Bei men were enclosed by five thousand of the strongest Wei soldiers. Cao Cao laughed menacingly at the sight of his sought for enemy who was now defenseless, situated in the battle of five to one. Whereas his own men were strong and ready, Liu Bei’s were weakened by the long run.

“Liu Bei, we‘ve been playing this game of hide and seek for a while. In the end, it is still I who triumph!”

“Are you sure about that?” spoke the leader of the men whom Cao Cao assumed to be Liu Bei. In the obscurity of the night, it was difficult to differentiate a person from another.

Cao Cao squinted his eyes to get a better view of the speaker once he saw the difference in the pitch of his voice. The anger on his distorted face gleamed under the moonlight when he realized he had been tricked. Frustration shot through his head and reddened his face as his eyes busted with anger. “KILL THE IMPOSTER!”

At the order of their master, Cao Cao’s men charged at their enemy. However, before they could reach him, another man on horseback fought his way through the lines of built men on mighty steeds. His sheer manpower could be compare to that of an ox as he hurtled toward the center of the crowd. Under the dim moonlight, the physical appearance of this newcomer stood out immensely from the rest. His godly build stood powerfully on his beautiful auburn stallion who charged vigorously through the lines of fine horses and warriors. The silver mask concealing his face emanated a reflecting glow from the moonlight, reviving hope upon the small crowd of weary men.

Once he reached Zhuge Liang, the warrior pulled him atop his stallion and galloped off into the horizon. Cao Cao watched with both anger and admiration as the man galloped off. He assumed that the imposter was of nothing important if Liu Bei decided to sacrifice him in this turmoil. Thus, he decided not to waste his manpower by pursuing the escaper.

“I can’t leave those men!” Ah Liang cried as the duo galloped away on horseback.

“If you are to return, you will only be sacrifice alongside them. You must look at the bigger picture, Zhuge Liang,” spoke the powerful voice of his savior.

“How do you know my name? Have we met before?” queried Zhuge Liang when the familiarity of the voice stroked him.

The latter did not answer as an event not too far back shot through his mind…

`

Above the many layers of clouds on the ninth level of the heavenly palace was yet another conference between the immortals. This time was it was to discuss the mistake of the highly respected deity, Er Lang Shen.

“Er Lang Shen, do you know that by this single mistake of yours, the future of the Middle Kingdom could be at risk? Because of your mishap, Liu Cong had surrendered to Cao Cao under the hypnotization of the demons!” the Jade Emperor roared as rage consumed his dominant eyes.

“I understand my misconduct and am willing to any punishment,” uttered Er Lang Shen, his head facing the marble floor, unable to look the emperor in the eyes. Because of his sole promise to a mortal, the lives of many citizens were now at risk.

“You have always been a careful deity. Never have you committed any treason. As this is your first error, I will give you a chance to mend your mistake. From this day forward, you are to go to Earth and serve under Liu Bei until the demons are defeated and pull themselves from these battles between mortals.”

`

Zhuge Liang’s savior heaved a sigh as he thought over the preceding events.

“We have never met before but I’ve heard of the new advisor of the warlord Liu Bei…”

Ah Liang listened carefully and contemplated over his earlier words, “What you said was true. I must look at the bigger picture. Thank you for saving me. May I know the identity of my benefactor?”

“I am Wei Yan.”

`

As dawn made its way toward the Middle Kingdom, Zhuge Liang and Wei Yan have reached JiangLing. Zhuge Liang promised that he would introduce Wei Yan to Liu Bei once they get there. However, Wei Yan never expected that an obstacle would come in his way.

“Er Lang Shen, follow me if you do not want your identity to be revealed,” echoed a radiant female voice.

Upon the threat, Wei Yan told Zhuge Liang that he had urgent business to attend to. Though Ah Liang was skeptical of it, he could not find any reasons to keep him. Thus, they left in their separated way with Zhuge Liang meeting up with Liu Bei and his family and Wei Yan heading to his destination.

Wei Yan galloped through the gates of JiangLing and to a magical forest on the outskirt of JiangLing. There, a simple maiden in crimson red stood before him. Her eyes contained a fierce gleam, but she was no doubt a beauty. Though the fierceness within her eyes is enough to take the life of a mortal, the hope that sparkled on her tenderly red lips against the sunlight is enough to revitalize one from his grave.

“Er Lang Shen! What are you trying to do to Xiao Yu? Have you not done enough already?” cried the female in crimson red.

“Sheh Bai Ying…” uttered Er Lang Shen when he realized whom that sweet female voice belonged to. “He is no longer your Huang Xiao Yu. He is now Zhuge Liang. If you want to think of what’s best for him, I suggest you leave him alone.”

“How can I bear to leave him alone with all this danger you brought upon him? If you had not advised Liu Bei to acquire help from Xiao Yu, he would’ve had a peaceful life at this moment! For days, I have been following him. If you had not appeared, I would’ve saved him myself—”

“Why are you so stubborn? He is Zhuge Liang, a man with a wife whom he loves dearly. You are no longer in his heart.”

“And whose fault would that be? It’s all your fault Er Lang Shen! And today, today I shall have my revenge. You are part mortal now with your superior power declining to half of what it used to be. You wouldn’t be able to defeat me!”

Quickly unsheathing his sword and allowing it to transform into his Three-Point Double-Blade Knife, Er Lang Shen took his position as Bai Ying glided into the thin air. Eye to eye, the rage between the two’s pupils centralized into one thin line, aiming towards each other. Upon the meeting of their power, thunder shook the ground as Bai Ying sprinted towards Er Lang Shen, releasing a long streak of lethal red cloth, straight at him.

Entwining his sword, Er Lang Shen made an attempt to untie it, but the power he had as a half-mortal was not comparable to that of a demon. Taking this chance, Bai Ying leaped forward as needles of poison shot out of her finger, directing towards the heart of Er Lang Shen. Shocked, his eyes widened up as the beating of his heart increased. Suddenly, the clangor of weapons between the two was heard, and then there stood another individual, holding a silver spear in his hand.

“Ne Zha?!” gasped Er Lang Shen as the relief of hope’s arrival soothed his body.

“Ne Zha! This has absolutely nothing to do with you! This is between me and Er Lang Shen!” cried Bai Ying at the sight of the interloper.

“The battle of the mortals is already interrupted by devils and gods. How much more trouble do you need to cause?! Don’t you think it’s time for this dispute to end?!” shouted Ne Zha from anger.

“All I want is for you so call gods to stop bothering Xiao Yu!”

“Huang Xiao Yu is reincarnated, why can’t you just accept the fact that he’s now Zhuge Liang and has no memory of you at all? He’s a married man with a happy wife. He’s assigned the task to bring peace among the Middle Kingdom. Once the completion of this assignment, he’ll be able to go back to heaven and be that happy god he has always been. Why can’t you just leave him alone and wish him the best? Er Lang Shen is here to aid Huang Xiao Yu, not harm him. The day the Middle Kingdom is reunified is the day of his return to heaven. If you truly love him, you should be supporting him, not harming him with you and your sisters’ evil acts. Think about your actions and stop harming Huang Xiao Yu if you really do care about him! He will not remember you as Zhuge Liang, nor will he when he returns to heaven!”

As fast as a gust of wind, Ne Zha and Er Lang Shen disappeared from the vast field, leaving Bai Ying alone in disbelief. Never would she have thought of heaven giving Huang Xiao Yu another chance, and never would she have thought of Er Lang Shen as a guide to lead Huang Xiao Yu back to heaven.

Flying as fast as the wing on his two phoenix wheels could, Ne Zha and Er Lang Shen landed on the outskirts of JiangLing.

“Er Lang Shen, are you okay?” inquired Ne Zha.

“Thank you, Ne Zha. I thought I was going to perish under the hands of that devil before my task even began.”

“We’re good friends; thank you is nothing that is needed to be said. Sheh Bai Ying was just naïve since she can think of nothing but Huang Xiao Yu. You can’t really blame her.”

Er Lang Shen ignored this point and continued with another of his own. “With her knowing my identity, I’m sure that Sheh Bai Yun does as well. This will not be an easy task to complete.” Er Lang Shen sighed.

“Don’t worry, the Jade Emperor has known of this already. That’s why he sent me down to inform you. Now that my task is completed, I will take my departure. Good luck Er Lang Shen! I will help you whenever my assistance is needed,” Ne Zha’s voice echoed in the thin air after he hopped onto his phoenix wheels and flew off into the clouds above.

Er Lang Shen watched until he was gone. “Thank you, my friend,” he whispered under his breath.

Default Chapter 8: Siblings of the Sun Clan

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i12.tinypic.com/7w4kq6a.jpg')

Zhuge Wan... Tavia Yeung
    Liu Bei... Chin Ka Lok
    Sheh Bai Ting... Linda Chung

`

Ever since year 200, the Wei Kingdom's powers continuously expanded under of hands of Cao Cao. Unifying and controlling Northern China and successfully completing the campaign against the nomadic tribe of the Wuhuan increased their power dramatically. Their next phase was a Southern Campaign to control the Yangtze region, whose west was under the control of Liu Cong and the east under Sun Quan. Because of the Wei's pursuit, Liu Bei's trip to JingZhou allowed him to encounter his Zhuge Liang who eventually became his new advisor. However, Liu Cong, who succeeded the throne, after his father Liu Biao’s death immediately surrendered to Cao Cao, bringing the west of the river under the Wu's control. Unwilling to fall under Cao Cao’s control, Liu Bei managed to escape to Liu Qi, Liu Biao’s eldest son. Meanwhile, taking Zhuge Liang’s advice, his next step would be to ally the warlord of the West Yangzte Region, Sun Quan. However, Liu Bei was still unconfident about his decision and unsure whether the latter will agree to his alliance.

At Jiangling, Huang Yue Ying paced back and forth before the main room while everyone else waited patiently in their seat. Normally, women would not be able to situate themselves with men while discussing warfare, but after journeying with the Zhuge family, Liu Bei had found Huang Yue Ying to be an remarkably wise woman comparable to those of many men.

It has been days since they've arrived, but her husband was nowhere to be seen.

"General Liu!" called a familiar voice from a close distance. Yue Ying instantly turned her heard towards the source of the voice, for she recognized it as her husband’s upon the first syllable.

"Ah Liang!" cried Yue Ying, her anxiousness was immediately replaced by sudden joy as she rushed over to embrace him securely in her arms. Ah Jun’s lips naturally curved upward at the arrival of his brother, seeing that he’s safe and sound.

"Welcome back," greeted Liu Bei, his face containing emotions that one could not decipher.

"I was so worried. One of your men managed to escape from Cao Cao. He was barely alive when he arrived to inform us that a warrior with a silver mask took you away," muttered Yue Ying as she recalled the earlier incident.

"Though I am alive, I am incapable of securing the lives of my men. My lord, please punish this incompetent subordinate,” Zhuge Liang gently pushed his wife aside and dropped to knees before Liu Bei.

The general’s eyes emitted a ray of dismal upon the news of his men, but he immediately shook it off, replaced by a ghastly mist. He stood up and raised Zhuge Liang to his legs, “Such ordeals are inevitable. There was nothing you could do. As long as you are loyal to me, then you have done nothing wrong.”

Zhuge Liang felt his heartbeat rising when he realized what Liu Bei was implying. This was what he was afraid of all along: the suspicion of the general. Every man with great authority was alike and had a single fear, and that was whether their power was at risk.

“General, if you doubt one’s loyalty, why put them into use?” Ah Liang stated candidly.

“Zhuge Liang, that is not what I mean—”

“General, I know that you are suspicious of me at the moment and are afraid that I am secretly assisting Cao Cao. If I was in your shoes, I too would be skeptical. But if we are to cooperate, you must place your trust in me or else you are situating yourself in a one man battle against hundred thousands and more.”

“My Lord, I can use my head to reassure my husband’s loyalty to you,” Yue Ying quickly added.

“I believe you, Zhuge Liang. Now, would you care to tell me of the warrior in the silver mask?” Liu Bei added, bringing light to a new topic and departure of the old. Though, his skepticism still lies, and Zhuge Liang could easily tell from the wandering of his eyes and uncertainty in his voice.

"He told me his name is Wei Yan. His character is indeed mysterious, but I find him trustable and a capable man. I promised to bring him to you, but he took a sudden departure right before we entered JiangLing. I believe he will return again one day."

"Then I shall meet him when the time is right. We would surely be able to use such a talented individual to strengthen out state," responded Liu Bei with trust. He turned to his maids and continued, "Escort councilor Zhuge and his family to their rooms. Get rested, we will see Liu Qi tomorrow morning."

"Yes, General Liu," answered Ah Liang as he bowed.

`

Zhuge Liang focused his attention on the night sky above. The thousands of stars perking in heaven’s dark blanket seemed to gleam differently that night. A particular star in the north shone brighter than the rest. No doubt that it stood for Cao Cao and his continuously growing power. Zhuge Liang heaved a sigh as his eyes trudged to a fading group of stars in the Southern end of the sky. Could this be representing the Liu Clan of Liu Biao’s two sons? The stars within that cluster was especially dim, with barely any energy, even the brightest one was slowly fading into the darkness. Is this a sign of tragedy for Liu Qi? Ah Liang pondered upon the fate of the man whom he had encountered earlier that day. Though Liu Qi cannot be considered as a talented man, he was undoubtedly a man of honor. May heaven watch over him? Zhuge Liang emitted another sigh before he headed inside to prepare for his next trip across the Yangtze River to Sun Quan‘s territory.

`

As the sun peered over the horizon, Zhuge Liang was ready to leave for his long journey. In the order of Liu Bei, he was to go to seek for an alliance with Sun Quan.

While she accompanied him to the gates this city, Yue Ying reminded her husband to be careful. He promised her and began his way through the gateway with several troops accompanying him for protection. Suddenly, an enchanting female voice stopped the caravan in their track.

“Brother Liang! Wait for me!” a young maiden around seventeen or eighteen panted aloud as she stumbled her away over. Zhuge Wan stared at her brother with puppy eyes, pleading for him to let her accompany him.

“No, you will stay here. It’s best for your safety,” Ah Liang replied sharply and commanded the caravan to continue. Wan Wan cringed when she saw the seriousness in her brother’s eyes. However, she would not give up this easily. Whether he likes it or not, she’ll go along and there’s nothing he can do about it.

`

Days had passed since Zhuge Liang left. He and his group of men were now halfway to Chaisang. Along the way, they found shelter in deserted cabins that were abandoned by their inhabitants in flee of the war. That very night, all the dwellers of a small bamboo cabin were sound asleep, all except the brilliant Zhuge Liang, who was struggling to repress the odd dreams and thoughts from entering his mind. The Yellow River, a flood, snakes, thunder—all these representations of natures raced through his mind with intense speed. What could they possibly mean? Ah Liang jerked up from his sleep and panted as he felt his forehead. Oddly again, that same shining color revolved within his palm.

"What is this?" muttered Ah Liang in disgust. A sudden gush of wind diverted his attention to his door. Zhuge Liang gaped silently in shock at the slim maiden in crimson red whose face couldn't be deciphered against the silver moon's rays. Curious and astonished at the sudden figure's appearance, he slowly got out of his bed to take a closer look at the ever so familiar looking maiden. The once dark and mysterious face revealed itself finally by the slightest twist of his head, it was Sheh Bai Ying.

"What are you doing here?" demanded Ah Liang inhospitably, bringing the sensation of sorrow and woe to Bai Ying's heart.

Holding back her emerging tears, Bai Ying started talking, "I mean no harm, Xiao—Zhuge Liang. A decisive battle has been raged. The winner of this match will increase their kingdom's powers greatly. Be prepared, and by doing so, you have already won it all." Without saying more, a gentle gust of wind blew the mystic figure into a million little pieces that scattered and dispersed out the room. Ah Liang rubbed his eyes in disbelief. Whether one was a devil or goddess, it doesn't matter as long as one's heart is pure. The engaging tone of the maiden's voice surely meant no harm to anyone, but the memory of their first meeting will always be remembered as daunting.

Suddenly, another sound from inside the cabin startled him. Zhuge Liang quickly rushed inside to find a young maiden sneaking around his luggage. His eyes widened in disbelief when he recognized her as his own sister, Zhuge Wan.

“Wan Wan, you are such a hooligan! Do you know how unsafe it is to go along with me?” scolded Ah Liang. The latter smiled innocently in return and insisted that she could protect herself without his assistance and that having her on this journey would only benefit him. Zhuge Liang sighed, for there was no choice but to bring her along now, since escorting her back would delay their plans.

`

Today, the sun’s beams prevailed against the floating cloud bringing warmth and sunshine after the many days of rain. On vast grass field that was once stained by the blood of men were a caravan consisting of a maiden and several men.

Zhuge Wan skipped ahead as the others followed closely behind the agile maiden. She inhaled a breath of air and smiled joyfully to herself, wondering what destiny laid ahead for her. Will she encounter her savior once again? For many days and nights, she could not stop thinking about him, praying that she would be able to encounter him once more. His handsome face and his masculine voice lingered in her mind like a flowing river, never stopping.

Wan Wan’s eyes gleamed with interested at a sighted city ahead. She cupped her hand over her eyes to shield the sun’s blinding rays. Euphoria swept through her as she clasped her hands together, a vivacious smile framing her delicate face, “Brother Liang, I see it! We’ve finally arrive!”

Suddenly, a maiden on horseback galloped Wan Wan‘s way. Her steed of a glowing ebony ran fiercely against the wind that blew back the maiden’s hair, revealing her striking, bold face. Her fluttering her velvet clothing shimmered against the sunlight.

“Watch out!” warned the maiden when she realized she was heading straight at the party of seven. Wan Wan stumbled back as the stallion thrust to a sudden stop.

“Wan Wan, are you alright?” Ah Liang asked with concern as he sprinted to support his younger sister. Wan Wan nodded nonchalantly and fixed her gaze back at the horsewoman.

The maiden about eighteen leaped off and muttered sincerely, “I apologize for that.”

“It’s okay, I wasn’t hurt. Miss’s riding skills are really fantastic!” Wan Wan beamed ecstatically. The other maiden, obviously pleased by her compliment grinned, and immediately took a liking toward this girl.

“By the way, I am Wan Wan and this is my brother Ah Liang. It‘s a pleasure to meet you!”

“I am Shang Xiang. You don‘t look like you are from around here, did you traveled from afar?” Shang Xiang questioned upon her new comrade.

Wan Wan was quick to answer. “We’ve just came from JiangLing. We’re here to see—”

“Wan Wan,” Ah Liang murmured her name in a serious tone, implying that she should not give away their real intention to an outsider.

“It’s okay, Shang Xiang looks trustworthy!” Wan Wan reassured with a smile and continued, “We’re here to see the Lord, Sun Quan.”

Her new companion’s eyes widened as she heard her words.

“Why do you need to see my brother?” she questioned directly. Unlike others, Shang Xiang was not only a bold young woman, she was a very blunt individual who spoke her mind. Little does she know, her simple-minded ways and trust toward others may someday bring her downfall.

This time, it was not Wan Wan, but Ah Liang who replied, “Lord Sun is your brother? Miss must be Lady Sun. I am Zhuge Liang of Shu-Han.”

“Zhuge Liang? I have heard tales of your intelligence. It was rumored that General Liu visited you thrice himself in order for you to accept his offer. It’s indeed a marvel to see you in person. My brother would be please to meet you.”

Ah Liang nodded, a small smile edging across his face. Never would he have thought that Wan Wan’s adolescence and simple nature could be a help to him. Now that they’ve gained the trust of Sun Quan’s younger sister, it would be a simpler task to persuade him to form an alliance with Shu-Han.

`

After a brief introduction from Sun Shang Xiang, Zhuge Liang, Wu’s commander Zhou Yu, and Lord Sun Quan who a man a year younger than him, began discussing the occurring warfare of the three states while the two maidens listened with interest. Quite similar to his sister, Sun Quan was a bold looking young man who held a remarkable face that one could not help but admire. Within his deep eyes, a flicker of determination lingered.

“Councilor Zhuge, so you are saying I should form an alliance with your master?” Sun Quan queried perspicaciously.

Quickly standing up, Zhuge Liang began speaking, "Lord Sun, by looking at the skepticism on your face, I can determine that you are still not so positive about this alliance. Am I right sir?"

Sun Quan grinned at his straightforwardness. “For what reasons do you give that our alliance that will benefit me?”

“Lord Sun, Cao Cao’s continuous growing power is quite obvious at this moment. You know very well the condition of the Wu State. Alone, you cannot win against the Wei’s force and neither can we. Thus, our only solution is to ally. The only way Shu and Wu can stand a chance is to combine our forces against Cao Cao," Ah Liang reasoned calmly.

Sun Quan listened vigilantly, taking every word into his heart. As he contemplated over them, a sudden maiden voice snapped him from his thoughts.

“Lord Sun, must you be so indecisive? My brother’s words are not spoken without reasons and from what I can see, he is right—” Wan Wan was suddenly interrupted when a sudden dagger, infuriated by annoyance, pointed straight at her throat. Zhou Yu glared at the young maiden in irritation, obviously enraged by her insult toward his master. Wan Wan cocked her head to the side, anger frowning the once lively face. Though her life was hanging loosely on the line, she did not hesitate to continue, “Killing me will not change the way I think—”

“Wan Wan!” snapped Zhuge Liang when his fear for his younger sibling’s safety rose. “Lord Sun, General Zhou, please do not take the immaturity of my sister to heart After all, is it out of the league of a great general to kill a defenseless young girl.”

Sun Quan lifted his eyes in amazement at Zhuge Wan’s sudden outburst. It was indeed rare to see such an energetic young woman in this time of war. Lord Sun chuckled aloud in amusement, for her straightforwardness was so similar to that of Shang Xiang, and ordered Zhou Yu to remove his sword.

“Right you are Miss Zhuge. I shall consider it.”

“Lord Sun is indeed wise!” the maiden praised, flattering Sun Quan who laughed loudly.

Zhuge Liang released a sigh of relief when he realized that his sister’s words were actually persuasive. There, Zhuge Liang added on some more words, “General Sun, remember the year you succeeded your brother? You were just eighteen, with many not believing that you are worthy for such a position due to your young age. However, you have proven to those that they were wrong by being able to accumulate trusting men of ability and intelligence.” By adding the last sentence, he had outwardly complimented Zhou Yu and the rest of Sun Quan’s followers.

Zhuge Liang continued, “You’ve made so many well decisions in the past and I do hope that you will not past this chance by. Ever since Liao Biao’s death and Liao Cong succeeded his throne, our powers are greatly weakened by his cowardice of surrenders against Cao Cao, and his brother Liu Qi who was going to battle to gain the throne he most worthily deserves. Cao Cao already took over most of Jing Province. Soon, he’ll be here in Jiangling. It is crucial for us to ally in order to sustain the land and arms we acquire right now. An upcoming battle is unveiling, and we have no choice but to fight or else we will see our deathbeds. General Sun, please take this into great consideration. With us winning this battle, it will put us back onto the playing table. Time is a critical essential. Cao Cao could attack at any moment now.”

"Well spoken, Zhuge Liang. I will do as you suggested. As a matter of fact, it was just yesterday when I received this threat," said Sun Quan as he pulled out a letter. "Cao Cao has threatened me to surrender otherwise to be crushed by his 800,000 men."

"800,000 men?" gasped Shang Xiang.

"Even with the coalition of our forces, we only have about 50,000 men in hand. There is no way for us to match him. I believe that we only have one choice, General Sun,” suggested Zhou Yu.

“No, this will be a battle we have to fight,” objected Sun Quan.

“He’s right sir. Even if the number he presented to us might not be the number we will see, we are still short in men. What that should be done to is ally with more others against these northerners to build up our power before exhausting it,” Zhuge Liang added on.

“Enough! Anyone else who presents an innuendo towards surrender will have the same faith as this table!” shouted Sun Quan as he unsheathed his sword and chopped the table in two, the accessories crashing against the hard marble flooring. “I am not a man who will submit, I am a man who strives and will succeed. Wars are won by striving and trying. Continuously backing up and surrendering will never bring one near his destination.”

The group was silent as they absorbed his words, knowing that his decision was made.

“General, though Cao Cao stated that he has 800,000 men, I predict that he will bring no more than 220,000 men. Even though, this includes the men that Liu Cong surrendered, so one can certainly doubt their loyalty to him,” spoke Zhou Yu, who understood his master’s words and knew very well of his temperaments.

“Though we are short in men, they are coming towards us and fighting on our land. On this land, no one knows the geography better than us. Therefore, we could actually be on the upper hand, especially with the season of winter approaching with us near our supplies,” spoke Zhuge Liang.

Pondering over his words for a slight while, Sun Quan finally concluded, “Zhuge Liang, I will have Zhou Yu aid your 20,000 men with his 30,000 against Cao Cao in this battle.

A natural smile lighted up Ah Liang’s anxious face. Both Zhuge Wan and Sun Shang Xiang beamed merrily at the final decision of the lord. Looking into Zhou Yu’s face, they both tipped their heads politely.

`

"Attacking Cao Cao?" asked an elder man in his sixties who carried a deep but strong voice.

"Yes, Uncle Huang," answered Sun Quan as he poured the man some tea. This man was no other than Huang Gai, an old veteran of the Wu Kingdom who has been fighting for Sun Quan's elder brother and father before he took the throne. The ideas of this man were clever and slick, and his loyalty is nothing that is needed to be questioned. With the experience he had in the battlefield for all these years and the respect Sun Quan had towards him, he was definitely the man he will go to when he needed advice and suggestions.

Taking the cup and rotating it within his palm, Huang Gai began, "Have you spoken with your fellow advisors and generals yet?"

"I have. Zhou Yu was doubtful at first, but in the end he agreed."

"Ah, I understand his woes. This Zhuge Liang is not to be taken lightly. His name is to be remembered.”

“Not only is he wise, his sister is quite an interesting character herself,” Sun Quan chuckled amusingly.

“His sister? Are you keen on this maiden?”

A small smile escaped Sun Quan’s lips but he hastily shook it off since he knew that politics was more important than his own affairs. “Let us not discuss that whereas there are much more important matters.”

Huang Gai shook his head in amusement as the younger man. Being through the many years of his life, he had experienced love, its uncontrollable desires and indomitable sensations.

“Alright. As of now, I will tell you that I do agree with his observation. And to add to that, fire will be the best solution to beat this crowd, for they ought to travel by water to get to our land. This has already determined that this battle will be fought in the sea."

"Yes, Uncle Huang. I will do as you advise."

`

A dazzling maiden sat upon a slab of cooling rock as servants fanned her with gigantic leaves of white and purple that released a scent of mystification with each breeze sent the maiden‘s way. Dressed elegantly in white and lilac, this maiden carried a pair of ominous eyes, her eyelids coated with enchanting sparkles that released an illuminating attraction. Hearing footsteps in the distant, she quickly raised her eyes and directed the cold stare towards the approaching figure. It was Sheh Bai Ying.

"Where have you been?" interrogated Bai Yun, a sinister smile spreading across her face as she raised from her position.

"Nowhere particularly," Bai Ying responded casually as she walked off. Suddenly, her younger sister, Sheh Bai Ting, slipped in front of her with great speed. Her deadly eyes entwined with wickedness as she looked into her sisters.

"Don't think that advising helps, because fate predestined by heaven does not always happen like its supposed to, for this battle's fate is within our hands," mumbled Bai Ting in a cold chilling voice. With a puff of air, she disappeared. Sheh Bai Ying bit her lips in frustration, for she knew exactly what they were referring to.