Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working/taking training course in Beijing, should I?

Default Working/taking training course in Beijing, should I?

This is like a dream that is about to come true!! All what I have to do now is to send them back a positive reply. But shoud I?

To make a long story short, I have this wonderful opportunity to go to China for the first time in all my life... Moreover, I will be WORKING there for 6 months! I say "work", but in fact, it is more like taking training course because I won't earn a lot... My salary will be just enough to pay for the plane ticket, my living expenses, all the transport fees, etc. Basically, when I will return home, I won't have any money left, but I will have gain a lot of experience.

However...
    - I don't know anybody over there,
    - I don't speak Mandarin/read Chinese characters (but I know a little bit of English ),
    - I won't have enough money to travel around or to buy anything at all.

So, if anybody has been there before, I would like to know (sorry, if my questions seem silly to some of you)...
    - If people in Beijing are friendly,
    - If life over there is dangerouse (pickpockets?),
    - If food and other necessities are expensive,
    - If there are things to do even if we don't have money.

It will be great if I can receive some replies before next week... Yeah, I only have until next Friday to make my decision... He, he, if I listen to my heart, I will write them back right away and agree to all their conditions... But it is in times like these that I have to use my head a little bit more...
    Last edited by lysil; 05-13-07 at 06:07 PM.
    "Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves."
    - Rudyard Kipling

Here check this website out: http://www.chinese-forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Maybe this will help answer some questions about heading off to Beijing.

What can I say? Thanks a bunch...
    - Rudyard Kipling

It's always best to know a bit about the culture before you go someplace. Culture shock is not the most pleasant thing to have especially if you do not know the language. I do not recommend going anywhere you have not been to even just on short trips. It's really not what you think. I'd go there for short trips but I definitely do not want to be in China for more than 2 weeks at a time.
    Oligoneuron disease is incurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss View Post
    I'd go there for short trips but I definitely do not want to be in China for more than 2 weeks at a time.
    Really? Can you tell me more about your "short trips" to China? Why wouldn't you like to be there for more than 2 weeks? Too many mosquitos?
    - Rudyard Kipling

The pollution is very bad. I do not particularly like the continental climate of Beijing either. People spit (getting better due to the Olympics) and you can get ripped off at every turn. I like going there for buying trips but it's not a place where I want to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphraeleiss View Post
    The pollution is very bad. I do not particularly like the continental climate of Beijing either. People spit (getting better due to the Olympics) and you can get ripped off at every turn. I like going there for buying trips but it's not a place where I want to live.
    Somebody else told me that I will have to watch out for my wallet... Thanks Aphy for your "warnings". I have not thought it over yet. The thing I'm most afraid of is to be bored to death if I couldn't make any friend during these 6 months. Anyway, I intend to contact some governmental offices tomorrow to get more information...
    Last edited by lysil; 05-14-07 at 01:27 AM.
    - Rudyard Kipling

What do you mean you know "a little bit" of English? Your English writing seems perfect to me.

I would go. It's a great opportunity.

Sidebar, if you're light skinned, you could be quite popular with the ladies. Some Chinese folks aren't so down with darker skinned Asians though.
    This account is retired.

If you are adventurous enough, and you have thought through it, and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity there's no harm taking a chance. It's only 6 months. With a bit of common sense you can have a good time and there are plenty of internet cafes around for you to get online. All I'm saying is it makes more sense to settle in a place for a longer period of time only if you have some idea of what it entails. If you are picky about hygiene, including public toilets, general public cleanliness etc then it's probably not the best place to be for 6 months. I still cringe when I hear people spitting.

from what iv read about beijing (for i am also planning to study n then eventually, find a job there, though it wont push thru til september)...beijing is hot during hot days(August-September) and extremely cold during cold days (around October-Feb).

a meal approximately costs about 20RMB.

stuffs are relatively affordable

hope ul hav a successful travel

good luck!
    high priest genjyo sanzo!

I'll add that Beijing is also very dry both in the summer and winter. In the summer you'll have sand blowing in from the plains, and during the winter the combination of the cold and dry air will cause your skin to crack (I recommend lots of lotion). Aside from that the perpetual smog will blot out the sun the majority of the time such that all you see is a grey sky, and often won't be able to tell whether it's overcast or not.

Depending on where you are from you may also find the masses of people to be rather disturbing. As for what the people are like... it really varies since Beijing's population is comprised of people from all over the country. There are also the generation gaps to take into consideration.

One generalization I like to make is that the younger generation (<30) tends to be more wily, less genuine and a bit amoral. This may be true for the >30 generation as well but frankly I haven't had much exposure there. If you're from some place that at least in theory promotes the rule of law, ethics, doing the right thing, etc. you may find the rampant shady deals to be a bit disconcerting.

I'd also like to say that despite the problems that are present in the U.S. government today, I believe that they do a much better job protecting people... part of it seems to be that there are few checks and balances in China, and the other part is that the population is so large that it can be next to impossible to find someone who doesn't want to be found.

Don't let me discourage you though. I just want you to know what you're getting into. As for something practical you can do to facilitate your stay there: try to contact the major universities there like Qing Hua or Bei Da (the MIT and Harvard analogues), and see if they have anyone interested in learning English or the like. If you can make a friend there they'll be able to help you become better acclimated, and warn you of things to watch out for.

As for cost of living... it really varies across the board. College grads there probably earn 5K RMB per month on the average. Workers from the previous generation in their 50-60's are probably earning 1-2K per month. Rent is relatively cheap as is food if you cook it yourself. As a reference: a Big Mac with fries and a small soda will run you about 30RMB, a taxi is about 3RMB per KM.

My info is a bit dated since the last time I've gone back was two years ago. Inflation and exchange rates have shifted quite a bit since then.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Yea i went to visit beijing two years ago too. it was pretty cool since i went after the wet season and it wasnt too humid. and i took one of those tours things that take yu all around (from the States to various chinese cities) and ive got to say, my tour guy was nice and the people there were pretty nice too. just dont tell them that ur a tourist/ foreigner! they will totally hassle money out of yu!
    and yea BARGAIN BARGAIN! everyhting can be bargained down!
    another good idea is to keep tigerbalm close cos i have encountered a few misquitos ;[ but they didn bother me that much.
    Keep yur camrea close b/c there are a lotttt of sights to see and so much history to capture!
    but goodluck in yur job and stuff! i wished i lived there for 6 months; beijing was pretty cool 8D

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    I'll add that Beijing is also very dry both in the summer and winter. In the summer you'll have sand blowing in from the plains, and during the winter the combination of the cold and dry air will cause your skin to crack (I recommend lots of lotion). Aside from that the perpetual smog will blot out the sun the majority of the time such that all you see is a grey sky, and often won't be able to tell whether it's overcast or not.

Depending on where you are from you may also find the masses of people to be rather disturbing. As for what the people are like... it really varies since Beijing's population is comprised of people from all over the country. There are also the generation gaps to take into consideration.

One generalization I like to make is that the younger generation (<30) tends to be more wily, less genuine and a bit amoral. This may be true for the >30 generation as well but frankly I haven't had much exposure there. If you're from some place that at least in theory promotes the rule of law, ethics, doing the right thing, etc. you may find the rampant shady deals to be a bit disconcerting.

I'd also like to say that despite the problems that are present in the U.S. government today, I believe that they do a much better job protecting people... part of it seems to be that there are few checks and balances in China, and the other part is that the population is so large that it can be next to impossible to find someone who doesn't want to be found.

Don't let me discourage you though. I just want you to know what you're getting into. As for something practical you can do to facilitate your stay there: try to contact the major universities there like Qing Hua or Bei Da (the MIT and Harvard analogues), and see if they have anyone interested in learning English or the like. If you can make a friend there they'll be able to help you become better acclimated, and warn you of things to watch out for.

As for cost of living... it really varies across the board. College grads there probably earn 5K RMB per month on the average. Workers from the previous generation in their 50-60's are probably earning 1-2K per month. Rent is relatively cheap as is food if you cook it yourself. As a reference: a Big Mac with fries and a small soda will run you about 30RMB, a taxi is about 3RMB per KM.

My info is a bit dated since the last time I've gone back was two years ago. Inflation and exchange rates have shifted quite a bit since then.
    dam, hows the rent over there? that looks pretty bad,
    5K a month and a meal = 30 is pretty rough, in the US college grad gets about 2.5K a month, but a meal only 5 bucks

Many thanks to all of you... The more I investigate about it, the more I want to go!!

flyingfox2002: Unfortunately, I have rather dark skin... I'm Chinese from head to toe, but people often mistake me to be a Vietnamese...

Aphraeleiss: To tell you the truth, I am quite picky when it comes to hygiene... However, I am ready to deal with it... if it is "only" for half a year. Usually, I don't need to visit the W-C that often (one time in the morning and another time at night before I go to bed), so maybe I will be able to avoid public toilets during my stay over there, he, he...

cheeleh: If I sign the contract, then I will be working at Beijing from July to December... It means that I will need summer and winter clothes... I wonder if it will be better to bring my old clothes with me or buy new ones once I arrive in China... To think that I will have to get by on such a tight budget, it gives me a headache.

darkcser: You gave me a good idea... Language exchange, huh? Well, I won't teach English for sure, but if I can find somebody who wants to learn Frch... Yiiii, this is really a good idea...

annaaa: Shoot, so I will have to bargain? Hate that... but with the linguistic bareer, I don't even know how that will be possible... He, he, he....
    - Rudyard Kipling

from what i know (moving to the US @ the age of 11)... i wouldn't go for 1 reason alone, you don't speak the language, it's gonna be hell living in a place where your communication is next to 0.

I know, what a pity!The fact that I don't speak the language won't make life easy for me. At least, I am able to guess what people who speak Mandarin say when I hear them talking. (We have so many Chinese from the Mainland here in my university, so I am somewhat used to hear conversation in Mandarin.)

But I won't be completely alone... Many foreigners live in Beijing (I think)... Also, the people with whom I will work are white people... Their situation won't be any better than mine... It is just that if I don't get along with them, I will feel miserable and very very lonely...
    - Rudyard Kipling

maybe you should take mandarin classes...
    or you must know at least the basics...

Quote Originally Posted by lysil View Post
    annaaa: Shoot, so I will have to bargain? Hate that... but with the linguistic bareer, I don't even know how that will be possible... He, he, he....
    they are always a sucker for money so yu always win seriously!
    just pretend to walk away and then they call yu right back!

beijjing? u should go to shang hai or guang zhou or hong kong beijjing is very polluted
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I wouldn't bet on the English proficiency level of the average Beijing resident. It's one thing near the universities but the general public will be hard pressed to understand even basic questions. Pantomiming and gesturing will probably be more useful. Also try to think outside of the box and bring a sketchpad or something. Many people fall into the habit of repeating the same word at increasing volumes as if that will some how increase understanding.

People also tend to be more accommodating if you look foreign as opposed to look Chinese but are unable to speak Mandarin.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR