View Poll Results: Which is the best version of THE BUND?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • original 1980 TVB series THE BUND (Chow Yun Fat, Ray Lui, Angie Chiu)

13 72.22%
  • 1996 film SHANGHAI GRAND (Leslie Cheung, Andy Lau)

0 0%
  • 1996 TVB remake series ONCE UPON A TIME IN SHANGHAI (Sunny Chan, Nnadia Chan)

1 5.56%
  • 2006 NEW SHANGHAI BEACH (Huang Xiao Ming)

4 22.22%

Thread: Comparing the various versions of THE BUND

Default Comparing the various versions of THE BUND

There now exist four different versions of the story of Hui Mun Keung and Ding Lik, two legendary gangsters from the Shanghai underworld of the 1930s. Let us compare them.

I just started watching sketches of the 2006 New Shanghai Beach and recently finished watching the 1996 movie version. So, I pretty much watched all the versions listed on the poll.

The original 1980 TVB version is still by far the best. Largely due to the impact of Chow Yun Fat amazing acting as Hui Mun Keung which still is an inspiring "wow" and noble class-act to me. The themesong by Francis Yip is probably one of most famous and recognizable song to date.

1996 TVB remake series Once Upon A Time In Shanghai was not that memorable to me nor enjoyable. Part of the reason may be because of the new characters and a slight change in the story from the original. The major downfall would be Sunny and Nnadia's acting which were not fluid and adequate at all, imo.

1996 HK film Shanghai Grand...what duh heck? All I want to express is some series are NOT meant to be remake and fit for a movie. Btw, Leslie Cheung should not even take part in the movie

2006 China/Mainland New Shanghai Beach so far is probably the better remake version to me. Huang Xiao Ming as Hui Mun Keung, like someone stated, doesn't embarrass himself He is very dashing and his acting is quite subtle and fluid in this version. Sun Li as Ching Ching was pretty moderate and tolerable. She has this cold and sad expression looks majority of the time as oppose to the glowy and depression looks of Gigi Chiu Nga-Chi which I find Gigi displayed the character better. This is my first time watching HXM and Sun Li's acting so both did fairly well and a potential actors.

wasn't there also a version with adam cheng? or am i thinking of another series?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    wasn't there also a version with adam cheng?
    Yes, 1996 TVB version.

or am i thinking of another series?
    Yes, you are thinking about another series so don't confuse yourself LOL!

The original THE BUNB 1980 TVB version is still the Best by far. Chow Yun Fat and Angie Chiu have the BEST protrayal.

Talking

IMO, most original versions are better than the remakes b/c of the story lines and the actors/actresses that portrayed those roles. Those actors/actresses will always remembered for being in the original versions. Remakes usually edit alot of stuffs and sometimes don't follow the storylines. Remakes have better technology but just a bunch of cg stuffs, and some actors/actresses sux big time, some are just pretty to look at. So I prefer the older versions better.

Now that the original 1980 TVB version of the series is available on DVD, let's revisit this topic.