Thread: Martial arts in wuxia vs real life.

Default Martial arts in wuxia vs real life.

In Wuxia stories, many top fighters practice on their own or learned from secret manuals to become greats. Little is said about them sparring or practicing real combat.

In real life, you need to spar a lot to be good otherwise your opponents will kick your butt in a real fight.

How important is sparring practice to prevent you from shitting in your pants in a real fight.

A must see video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZLq90YeNNg

I agree with the need for real experience. That part is largely overlooked in JY stories BUT it is not completely overlooked.

JY had a few moments where he did stress the benefit or the lack of real fighting experience. The most famous case being Xu Zhu vs Jiumozhi.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Then again, remember that everyone is an unbelievable martial arts genius and so on like that, so we can temporarily suspend belief about learning techniques from a book and immediately owning house with them two days later.

Plus if you learn super powerful internal ability for example you don't necessarily need battle experience with it since you power your own moves with it and you don't count as a resisting opponent.

real life is all about experience.
    In some of the competitions I compete at including martial arts and speech, I usually own better skills (on my on time and effort), but sometimes I'll still lose to someone with more experience. In the case of martial arts, 8 years of experience+skill, get owned by a old guy who is efficient in his attacks (20 years of experience). The only time I lost in martial arts to a less experienced person was when I met this guy about 7 foot (I'm 5 9') and about twice as strong as me and he already had 4 years, so he wasn't bad. On the other hand, when I met people with less experience than me, I easily pwn them. For instance with people about 1-2 years of experience, all I have to do is lock their feet down and blow it at them. At 3-4 years of experience (other than that big guy, who I needed to jump to even attack his chest), all I have to do is concentrate the attack on the head and normally they would go defensive. Anything beyond 5 years starts getting tough.
    For speech contest (I have 1 year of experience), I normally possess better skills because I learn from the national circuit people, but I might lose because my opponent with 3-4 years of experience is just simply more experienced, but with my superior skills, I can still defeat people with 2 years of experience.

I guess skills can help you, but experience is still more important. Furthermore, if you have experience, you just logically realize "truths" in events. For instance, I learned through experience easy ways to attack in my 5th or 6th year of martial arts; however, if there really is the will, you may learn those truths instead of finding them out (for me, it's speech contest), but even then I have to execute them to experience them to fully utilize those advantages.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

i dislike martial arts in real life,it look real funny.d fantasy type in tv 1 better,cause can fly n can stay young.
    chainsaw+ultravoice=Sawyer!

The thing is, inner strength is a nearly lost art for 2days' Martial Art world.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

That was a funny video

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie View Post
    real life is all about experience.
    The thing is that in real life - everyone is on pretty much a level playing field physically --- which is why the more experienced fighter would in most cases win.

However, the exception is if a squirt is fighting a giant - even if you have more experience you can still lose.

Similarly in wuxia - but in wuxia there is a bigger discrepancy and not everyone is on a level playing field due to the existence of internal energy.

For example HZ in DGSD who gained 70 years of internal energy with no battle experience --- will still beat a battle hardened footsoldier with 20 years of battle experience but with little or no internal energy --- however HZ won't beat XF who has very high internal energy though maybe less than HZ --- but he will win due to his experience.

Let's say that I get bitten by a genetically altered spider giving me super powers - or some radiation altered me and gave me super human strength like THE THING. If I have never been in a fight ever in my life and I go up against you with your 8 years of experience - I'd say I'd still be able to beat you. Experience counts for nothing when the 2 opponents differ so greatly in physical strength.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I agree with the need for real experience. That part is largely overlooked in JY stories BUT it is not completely overlooked.

JY had a few moments where he did stress the benefit or the lack of real fighting experience. The most famous case being Xu Zhu vs Jiumozhi.
    i recall it being said many times in numerous books, but the point is not exclaimed. there are many instances where JY stats that because "he had not traveled jianhu, or he did not have many experiences in jianhu he was at a disadvantage"