Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Create Your Own Wuxia Character! Game #4

Oic
    Then how abt...
    Big bad guy and inactive chars: One stats 10/10 max, rest 8/10 max, total 24/30. 2 stats can be 9/10 if no 10/10 stats.
    Active character: One stats 9/10 max, rest 7/10 max, total 18/30. 2 stats can be 8/10 if no 9/10 stats. 1 stat can be 10/10 but total max will be 16 then.

Or

Big bad guy and inactive chars: One stats 9/10 max, rest 7/10 max, total 21/30. 2 stats can be 8/10 if no 9/10 stats. 1 stat can be 10/10 but total max will be 20 then.
    Active character: One stats 8/10 max, rest 6/10 max, total 15/30. 2 stats can be 7/10 if no 8/10 stats. 1 stat can be 9/10 but total max will be 14 then. 10/10 stat not allowed.

For inactive characters, stats will be lowered by 2, if one stat cannot be lowered by 2 due to low lv, the next highest stat will be lowered.

Since this is a WuXia RPG, while player's writing comes 1st, I think martial arts lv is also important.
    Anyway, the stats will also affect the way they fight, so I think this sys can make plp come up wif more creative fights.
    Because imbalanced characters may not always be bad, Xu Zhu is cool, right?
    Rather then a lot of plp maxing out all stats.
    Last edited by Son of Light; 05-26-07 at 01:40 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Light View Post
    Oic
    Then how abt...
    Big bad guy and inactive chars: One stats 10/10 max, rest 8/10 max, total 24/30. 2 stats can be 9/10 if no 10/10 stats.
    Active character: One stats 9/10 max, rest 7/10 max, total 18/30. 2 stats can be 8/10 if no 9/10 stats. 1 stat can be 10/10 but total max will be 16 then.

Or

Big bad guy and inactive chars: One stats 9/10 max, rest 7/10 max, total 21/30. 2 stats can be 8/10 if no 9/10 stats. 1 stat can be 10/10 but total max will be 20 then.
    Active character: One stats 8/10 max, rest 6/10 max, total 15/30. 2 stats can be 7/10 if no 8/10 stats. 1 stat can be 9/10 but total max will be 14 then. 10/10 stat not allowed.
    Still too high. The problem lies with any of the stats exceeding the reccomended limit, and not with the overall stats being acceptable. Imbalanced characters means characters with imbalanced martial arts with respect to the character itself, not imbalanced comparing with other characters.

Since this is a WuXia RPG, while player's writing comes 1st, I think martial arts lv is also important.
    Anyway, the stats will also affect the way they fight, so I think this sys can make plp come up wif more creative fights.
    I think the converse is actually true. Browse through RPG #1, #2 and #3 to see what I mean.

If you're still not convinced, try posting sample segments about a powerful character, a mid-level character and a low-level character. I'll then respond to your posts.

Because imbalanced characters may not always be bad, Xu Zhu is cool, right?
    Rather then a lot of plp maxing out all stats.
    Xu Zhu is cool only in DGSD. Not when everyone is more powerful than him.

The beauty that flow under the poet's brush stems from the poet's skill to use the most appropriate words to convey the intention of the poet, not from superficial bombastic-sounding words lacking in substance.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox View Post
    Still too high. The problem lies with any of the stats exceeding the reccomended limit, and not with the overall stats being acceptable. Imbalanced characters means characters with imbalanced martial arts with respect to the character itself, not imbalanced comparing with other characters.
    The overall abilities of a character depends on the average/total stats, not jus one alone stats, so when looking at a character, the level of either stats is not important compared to the average/totaled stats.

There is nothing wrong with being imbalanced, both RPG and Fighting Games has characters who's stats are internally imbalanced, because some character depends on speed, some on power, some on special moves... ect. the way most game does it is that when one stats is high, the others stats will be low.
    Jus because a lot of people liked characters that are balanced doesn't mean it is the only way to go. There are characters in stories, WuXia and others, which are very strong in one area while weak in the others.

I think the converse is actually true. Browse through RPG #1, #2 and #3 to see what I mean.
    If you're still not convinced, try posting sample segments about a powerful character, a mid-level character and a low-level character. I'll then respond to your posts.
    Why have a WuXia game if the martial arts is not important?

Xu Zhu is cool only in DGSD. Not when everyone is more powerful than him.
    As above, different plp have different str. For example. WeiXiaoBao sucks on Tech and Inner Str, but is good in QingGong and brains.
    I've never played a fighting games where all the character have the same stats, it's all about different strength and weakness.

The beauty that flow under the poet's brush stems from the poet's skill to use the most appropriate words to convey the intention of the poet, not from superficial bombastic-sounding words lacking in substance.
    Agreed, but sometimes, to expressed her/his intention, the poet need to be given more freedom.

If you really hate High Levels so much, how about...

Big bad guy and inactive chars: Any one stat 9/10 max, total 24/30 max.

Active chars: Any one stats 7/10 max, total 18/30 max.
    Last edited by Son of Light; 05-28-07 at 12:17 AM.
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

HOnestly i just find this out of 10 thing too small.. we should make it out of 100

The overall abilities of a character depends on the average/total stats, not jus one alone stats, so when looking at a character, the level of either stats is not important compared to the average/totaled stats.
    Again, please display your writing skills by posting some action sequences. I'll continue from there.

Quote Originally Posted by batmankiller View Post
    HOnestly i just find this out of 10 thing too small.. we should make it out of 100
    Using the 100 scale simply saves us from having to use decimals. Mathematically they are the same.

exactly but people are too lazy to do decimals lol as you can see

My character :

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://cine-hk.chez-alice.fr/Hkcine/Portraits/damian-lau-dans-the%20monk.jpg')

Either will do fine for me.
    But preferbly the one on the right.

Name: Lu Chang Ye

Appearance: Dejected, head always bowed down, in dirty clothes and carrying a broken sword in an old wooden scabbard. Seldom smiles but when he does, one can see that he actually is quite good-looking. Stands at 1.70m with board shoulders.

Background:
    A loner of the JiangHu, belongs to no school, clan or sect. Have very minimum/ basic kungfu. Has been known to be at the wrong places at the right times. Witness the massacre of the Green Wind Sect by a mysterious trio dressed in Taoist robes. Sensing the need to do the right thing, he decides to help by battling the trio but was thrown to the side within one stance. Falling unconscious, he awakes to see members of various righteous sects pointing fingers at him for the massacre. Wanting to kill him in an effort to close the case, they broke his joints and also his sword before finding out that he has almost no inner energy and therefore cannot be the one responsible for the killings. Leaving him at that wrenched state, they left him to die. Only that Chang Ye did not, for a kind-hearted farmer found him and set his bones for him. During the period of his recuperation, Chang Ye’s mind was filled with anger and depression but the heroic nature inside of him refuse to leave him. when fully healed of his injuries, he left the farmer and again wonders the numerous paths of JiangHu. Once saved a female disciple of Zi Long Sect from bandits by shielding her with his body. Although being stabbed numerous times, he felt it was worth it for it was simply the right thing. Yet the female disciple merely spit at him and scolded him for being a busybody. Dejected and bleeding, he questions the way of those so-called righteous Sects and way of the good. Along the way, he again witnesses the members of the righteous Sect slaughtering suspected bandits and robbers with no solid proof. Deciding that being good is wrong, he vows to change himself and if possible the ways of Jiang Hu…

Inner power: 1 out of 10
    Qing Gong: 1 out of 10
    Martial arts : very basic swordplay and palm techniques

Will update again…
    Last edited by druid; 05-31-07 at 08:52 AM.
    " Forgo your past and embrance the future OR abandon your future to save your past?"

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    Name: Lu Chang Ye
    Inner power: 1 out of 10
    Qing Gong: 1 out of 10

Martial arts : very basic swordplay and palm techniques
    You're playing the Big Bad Boss this time right? Did I remember correctly?

This is going to be my last post for a while since I'll be visiting China for a month. While I'm gone, hopefully you guys would have decided on your characters and stuff. And please minimize the amount of post in here (preferably you guys make another thread for discussion). While I'm gone, I entrust the oldies (IcyFox, druid, Extremer88, and kidd if she's participating) to watch over the game. If you have a question about how to make your character, ask them.

I thought we are talking abt the system, not abt writing. In terms of point system, isn't the few ones I suggested more fair and accommodating?

If you just set a max score for all 3 stats, then the max stats will be Inner Str 6/10, QG 6/10 and Tech 6/10. For certain plp who wants to have a char that is strong in only one point let say tech, then his tech will be Inner Str 5/10, QG 5/10 and Tech 6/10, because the Tech has to be higher then the other two. This is not only illogical, but unreasonable. No game designer in the world will make a RPG wif such a system, simply because it restricts the player to either create a weaker char then necessary or a 'balanced' char with all stats maxed out.

In order to make things fair to all kind of character concepts, a limited total points must be used, this will restricted plp for, over powering their char, at the same time, allowed for a few different type of strongest characters, instead of 6/10+6/10+6/10. It is draconian, or even dictatorial enforce a system with only one best ans, a good game will always have a few best ans, not jus one.

If you are only interested in only the writing, then what ever points system we use shouldn't really matters to you. If you are concerned wif the game play mechanics, then we should used a more fair, logical and democratic one.

If you insist on having a 8/10 and 6/10 limit, why not do this.

Big bad guy and inactive chars: Any one stat 8/10 max, total 21/30max.

Active chars: Any one stats 6/10 max, total 15/30 max.

The total stats is (Max of one stat-1)*3, I originally thought of 12/30 and 18/30, but I think you will hate it cos you want a char with two 6/10 stats.

If you still do not accept, the only reason I can imagine is that you jus simple hate character with one strong point and is Bias towards character with balanced stats. Dude, not everyone who played Street Fighter used Ryu, can't you be just a bit more open?

My character is a neutral minor character that pops up occasionally.

He exceeds those limits but he won't be doing too much.

You're playing the Big Bad Boss this time right? Did I remember correctly?
    He might suddenly become very powerful...

Again, please display your writing skills by posting some action sequences. I'll continue from there.
    Why do you insist on reading when we are now talking abt the point system?
    This is escaping the topic, u have ignored my post on #83 almost totally.
    Last edited by Son of Light; 05-28-07 at 12:19 AM.

Why do you insist on reading when we are now talking abt the point system?
    This is escaping the topic, u have ignored my post on #83 almost totally.
    The topic in this thread is to create a Wuxia character and play it in an RPG. In this RPG, the player interact with other players to create a Wuxia story.

In Jianghu, people settle debates through martial arts. Here, we settle debates through writing. Thus far you have showed zero interest in writing any actual scenes or action sequences.

Now, for the point blank question. Are you actually interested in playing?

Yes, but under a reasonable system, how do you expect me to play under a system without using the char I want?
    If I write out 3 actions sences, would you consider my suggestions?
    If yes, I will have it done by 2marro nite.
    Last edited by Son of Light; 05-28-07 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    And please minimize the amount of post in here (preferably you guys make another thread for discussion).
    You might want to change this thread to the discussion thread by changing the thread title.

Yes, but under a reasonable system, how do you expect me to play under a system without using the char I want?
    If I write out 3 actions sences, would you consider my suggestions?
    If yes, I will have it done by 2marro nite.
    OK, just write 2 then. One for the current system and another one for your proposed system.

I won't consider your suggestions. Your own writing skills would.

Come on, stats shouldn't be everything.