Thread: Wuxia based Restaurant Name

Default Wuxia based Restaurant Name

To break up the vs threads a little....

If you were to name a Chinese restaurant using wuxia as a base, what would it be? What dishes would you serve? Say its large seafood banquet hall.

Please explain your choices - background, what novel/story/character its based on, and the Chinese pinyin.

Dragon Gate Inn - Long Moon Hak Chan -- the mother of all wuxia restaurant/inn franchises
    Wuxia Pre-fixe dinner: man tou, 5 spice beef, keg of wine

I personally like Jui Xian Lou. (Pavilion of the Drunken Fairy)
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I like Chun Hua Pavilion from LUK SIU FUNG: THE DUEL. There's nothing so special about the name, per se, but the running joke about Luk Siu Fung getting into some kind of altercation every time he went to eat there was funny. Among my wuxia fan friends, "Chun Hua Lau" has become code for "restaurant fight."

If I ever open a Chinese restaurant, I'm calling it "Chun Hua Pavilion." The food might be lousy, but the fights ought to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I actually think that looks great in English! Very classy.

Signature dish has got to be: Jiu Ge (Drunken Chicken)

I would like to name my wuxia restaurant as follows:

5 Lu 6 Dao Fei Ci Bu Ke Chi Canguan

Roughly in English: Five Roads Six Directions Here is the Only Place Where You Can Eat Restaurant.
    Last edited by PJ; 05-24-07 at 12:01 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I like Chun Hua Pavilion from LUK SIU FUNG: THE DUEL. There's nothing so special about the name, per se, but the running joke about Luk Siu Fung getting into some kind of altercation every time he went to eat there was funny. Among my wuxia fan friends, "Chun Hua Lau" has become code for "restaurant fight."
    This one sounds outdoorsy - al fresco dining. I would definitely have a garden patio so people can pay to watch the drunken fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

If I ever open a Chinese restaurant, I'm calling it "Chun Hua Pavilion." The food might be lousy, but the fights ought to be good.

And how are you ever going to make money from your restaurant? Pay-per-view?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

And how are you ever going to make money from your restaurant? Pay-per-view?
    'Little Two Brother', i'll have an appetizer of "Guo Jing vs. Yang Guo" and my main course will be "Xiao Feng vs. Zhang Jen Ren". I'll wrap it up with a Team War Dessert of "Wang ChongYang + Zhou Botong versus Zhang Wuji + Eastern Heretic Huang Yaoshi". Thanks.

- augster123

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120
    If you were to name a Chinese restaurant using wuxia as a base, what would it be? What dishes would you serve? Say its large seafood banquet hall.

Please explain your choices - background, what novel/story/character its based on, and the Chinese pinyin.
    I'd open a restaurant called 'Chez Rong', and gun for 3 Michelin Stars by doing expensive, pretentious modern Chinese-influenced haute cuisine, inspired by Jinyong's novels.

The restaurant would have one main dining room (the "Wang Chongyang Room") and four private rooms to the north, south, east, and west (each named after the appropriate Great). While waiting for a table, diners would be able to have a drink in the bamboo-themed 'Linghu's Bar', where the music is specially-written jazz-funk (using classical Chinese instruments like the qin and xiao) and where all the cocktails are JY-inspired (e.g. the "Xiao Feng" is a mixture of Chinese spirits, taurine and Chinese fruit juices, coloured red to symbolise the blood of A'Zhu).

In the restaurant, diners would be able to order a la carte, but would be encouraged to take the 18-course degustation menu. This is a stream of 18 very small dishes, delivered to the table one after the other, and named after each of the moves in Guo Jing's signature fighting style. The dishes themselves would be based on some of the foods mentioned in JY's novels, e.g. Beggar's Chicken, 'flutes' of game, lotus-leaf soup, smoked frog, silver vermicelli, sauteed baicai, steamed tofu, and Five-Treasure Duck (all from She Diao). There would be NO dishes based on fried centipedes (from Shen Diao) or boiled dog (from Yi Tian).

For this menu, I would charge precisely US$19.74 (19.74 in silver was the price of the dinner that Guo Jing bought for Huang Rong). But drinks cost A LOT extra, and I would be sure to charge the usual 500% mark-ups on wine so as to make maximum profits from the clientele of plutocrats, celebrities, and wuxia fans with more money than sense.

owbjhx, your ideas sound very cute!

all the cocktails are JY-inspired (e.g. the "Xiao Feng" is a mixture of Chinese spirits, taurine and Chinese fruit juices, coloured red to symbolise the blood of A'Zhu).
    LOL, marvelous idea, I especially like the blood of Ah Zhu part.

Any more ideas for entertaining drinks?

I can think of some names and their effects, but not their visual presentation.

-Passionless Mixer (Jueqing / Duanqing): a drink for the dumped
    -The Menacing Liquor of Pearl Cliff: so strong, it makes people have lousier temper and shorter attention span afterwards
    -The Peak of Perfection (Dengfeng Zaoji): has an orgasmic effect, as if you've really reached the Peak
    -Ignition: reputated to ignite the stomach after entering the system. Served in exactly 81 shots.
    Last edited by PJ; 05-24-07 at 12:21 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

How about health food restaurants serving dishes inspired by the energy boosting food the Wuxia heroes ate in the story. The menu includes:

-Venomous Crimson BullFrog and Centipede combo meal (DGSD)
    -Snake blood drink (LOCH)
    -Snake gallbladder snack (ROCH)
    -Fried Fiery Frog (HSDS)
    -9 Flowered Jade Dew pills
    -Snow Lotus (This one is from Reincarnated)

Is it the place that QCJ and the Jiangnan 7 Freaks suppose to meet 18 years later? I like the name.