Thread: Any idea how to combine Magic Fantasy with Wuxia?

Exclamation Any idea how to combine Magic Fantasy with Wuxia?

HI. I am currently trying to write an online novel that combines both Magical Fantasy (harry potter like) with Wuxia.

Can anyone give me any ideas about a plot to the story, the characters, the rules of magic mixing with chi, or the setting?

I think it will be very interesting to combine both genres.

[email protected]

this is going to be hard because theres no way any wuxia people can defeat a magical person. consider sweeper monk w/ the force field, he is ranked #1 in wuxia b/c of his magical forcefield and magical moves.

also magic is easily learned, while wuxia takes years to learn.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by stealth720 View Post
    HI. I am currently trying to write an online novel that combines both Magical Fantasy (harry potter like) with Wuxia.

Can anyone give me any ideas about a plot to the story, the characters, the rules of magic mixing with chi, or the setting?

I think it will be very interesting to combine both genres.

[email protected]
    I've been toying with a crossworlds story/campaign for a while now. The basic idea is a parallel world akin to what you'd find in most WuXia stories with almost no magic.

Chi based abilities work and are similar to psionic abilities in that they are generated internally but ultimately they operate on a different tradition.

Magic does exist but is simply too weak outside of special sites (read ley lines, nexus, fonts of power, etc.) The general populace may believe in magic and the supernatural but almost no one has seen anything that's blatantly supernatural.

Both powers rely upon force of will to shape and direct but magic is dependent on the amount of ambient magical energy in the environment whereas chi and psi are based internally. Shaping energy is any form is a combination of aptitude and training. Some are able to channel large amounts of energy with little skill in control or vice versa.

I also throw in the reality based manipulations as the 4th power source. This is the fundamental ability to shift reality directly.

The story begins with a celestial event where the ley lines of the world once again surge with mystical energy and magic starts to bleed into the world. This celestial event also brings beings from other realities into this one.

The basic premise is different "off world" factions persue their goals and interact with the locals while trying to maintain the pretense that everything is normal with the world.

I'm basing it on the concept that many things that people imagine actually exist in an alternate reality, and that oftentimes flashes of inspiration are actually glimpses into another reality. As more and more people begin to subscribe to a given belief then the boundry between this realty, and the reality that is similar to those beliefs drift closer until they start to intermingle. Have everyone believe in paradise then all is peachy, have everyone believe in hell then not so peachy.

The newcomers to this world generally know this rule, and are reluctant to tip the status quo for fear of throwing the population into some wild hysteria. As a result they try to pass off their abilities so that it fits the current image.

I've worked out some plotlines but yet to flesh out any actual stories. Mostly it's just a jumble of ideas.

Obviously I've been heavily influenced by a number of writings including the Amber Chronicles, TORG and RIFTS.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

For a more classic (old-school) depiction of wuxia and magic, read the novel series 蜀山奇侠传. This has been made into movies and TV series called '(Magic) Warriors of Mount Zu'.
    Online sources:
    1. 蜀山剑侠传
    2. 蜀山剑侠后传
    3. 蜀山剑侠新传
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Wow, thanks for all the good ideas...

Actually I have already thought of all this, Chi internal, Magic External, and they are all the different methods of manipulating the same power.

I have problems now creating a sutible conflict that inegrates Chi and Magic into my story. Maybe a war of Chi Warriors against Magistars? Any ideas?

This sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should do something like this when I'm free. Generating fire with chi sounds cool.

I don't really have an idea for a conflict, but maybe you could do something like the usual wulin, except that the fighters have magic-like abilities which can be done by manipulating their chi the correct way.

Quote Originally Posted by stealth720 View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the good ideas...

Actually I have already thought of all this, Chi internal, Magic External, and they are all the different methods of manipulating the same power.

I have problems now creating a sutible conflict that inegrates Chi and Magic into my story. Maybe a war of Chi Warriors against Magistars? Any ideas?
    I recommend the "covert war against the supernatural" approach.

Have a series of grisly murders in the wulin community come under investigation by members of one of the orthodox clans. Rumors from the superstitious populace point to demons but our heroes know better! It's obviously someone using some unorthodox martial arts to commit these atrocities.

Go through some typical GuLong-like arcs where our heroes make contact with various colorful characters on both the orthodox and herterodox sides in their investigation.

Have a couple of encounters with some really ambigiously supernatural opponents. Introduce the mysterious ally who utters the dire omen of "there are forces at work beyond your comprehension" before disappearing.

Eventually have confrontation between our BBEG and our heroes. Climax with our hero running the BBEG through the heart with his sword after a long and difficult battle.

But wait! This isn't the end. The BBEG pulls out the sword and impales our hero to a tree with it. As our hero bleeds his life blood away the BBEG reveals that he's actually a rakasha (or vampire, lycan, etc.), and that he's going to eviscerate our hero's entire clan. Fade to black.

Our hero can go though some appropriate near death experience and/or descent to hell before being afflicted with intense burning/freezing sensation. The sensation is of course a side effect of magical healing.

When our hero comes to he finds that he's been saved by the mysterious ally(tm), and story exposition follows. The ally is really a member of the Order of Hermes (Teutonic knights, Illuminati, etc.) that's been tracking the shapeshifting creature, and it's spawn across the land. Flashbacks on nature and origin of creature. Further exposition on nature of magic.

The two team up but find that the BBEG has been gathering followers from the wulin community in anticipation of a bloody slaughter.

Exhibit 6 of "why DMs should not write fiction."
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

I like your ideas darkcser.

For my story I'm thinking of a secret country on contemperary earth where Wulin ppl learn and use their powers. There is also a secret Magick country--which is pretty similar to Harry Potter.

The Magick country wants to take over the Wulin Country because of some hidden power in the Wulin Country. However, the Magick country does not reveal their intentions, and they countinue their diplomatic tradings.

The conflict happens when mysterious murders of Key leaders in the Wulin Country occurs, and our Hero has to find why it is happening. The hero finds that this is all a big conspiracy--some Wulin ppl who want power are siding with the Magisters, killing Key leaders. The person who leads the traitors and the main bad guy is the Vampire Lord, who uses magick as well as Chi Gong to suck ppls blood away.

How does that sound? vbmenu_register("postmenu_707236", true);

Chinese Paladin is a wuxia/magical series. I think I saw a series with a Vampire Lord kinda genre before. Maybe you can have someone be like a goddess or something to come help the hero. Like a sidekick with magical powers
    www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy8 [Raymond Lam, Bosco Wong, Ron Ng]

www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy5 [oneshots]