View Poll Results: Do U Think HK Artist Can Sing?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 22.00%
  • No

    18 36.00%
  • Maybe So-So

    21 42.00%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 168

Thread: Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?

  1. #41
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Can you name me one Asian artist that is popular and can write his or her own music and lyrics?
    Off the top of my head.

    Wang Lee Hom, Jay Chou, Justin Lo.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-01-07 at 11:38 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  2. #42
    Senior Member pemberly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    pimptown, USA
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Can you name me one Asian artist that is popular and can write his or her own music and lyrics?
    Many bands in japan do. and gackt writes his own music, lyrics, and does the arrangement.
    nytimes: Every hr you have 10 minutes where youíre not doing anything productive at work, & you canít look at porn. So you make a comment & fulfill this desire to show yourself off as a smarty-pants.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Arching_Hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Can you name me one Asian artist that is popular and can write his or her own music and lyrics?
    Penny Dai Pei Ni. She can write her own music and lyrics. And she sings well too
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    there are quite a few who writes/composes their own music and sings well or at least above average in asia.

    i like Penny Dai btw...leehom and jay definitely aren't bad either, they're good.

    recently...i listened to TANK. i hear that he writes too? correct me if i'm wrong...i dont really know much about him but i know he wrote Bu Zuo Ni De Peng You for SHE and it's gewd.

  5. #45
    Senior Member 1xclusive_babi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    388

    Default

    raymond can sing [most of the time] and act
    hacken lee can sing and act
    ron cant do either...acting roles best for him would be seroius
    bosco can act...but singing not that welll
    ` forever&always R A Y M O N D L A M + B O S C O W O N G + M I K E H E <3

  6. #46
    Senior Member Canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1xclusive_babi View Post
    raymond can sing [most of the time] and act
    hacken lee can sing and act
    ron cant do either...acting roles best for him would be seroius
    bosco can act...but singing not that welll
    Pretty much everyone in Hong Kong act; singers, beauty pageants, you name it, they all eventually go into acting.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

    Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

  7. #47
    Senior Member Canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pemberly View Post
    Many bands in japan do. and gackt writes his own music, lyrics, and does the arrangement.
    Ah yes, the Japanese. They also listen to a lot of good Western bands, something that other Asians don't.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

    Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I don't think loud=good. I've never warmed up to Kelly Clarkson's belting. Yes, she can definitely belt, but her voice doesn't sound nice when she belts. I like it more when she sings soft. Voice quality wise, I think Carrie Underwood has a more beautiful voice.

    Clay Aiken as a wonderful voice, but he tends to oversings too sometimes.
    strong doesn't = loud, voices like clay aiken are actuallly quite rare for male, same with kelly clarkson, the thing is they actually sound good, and the rare voice that they have is just a bonus. Over singing IMO is someone like Mariah Carrie, but she has a very good range vocal wise, people still says she sings good though. Carrie underwood sings countries, too much head voice for me (even though it's common in women singing)... IMO she's probably one of the over rated american idol because she does countries, right now the field in countries music is very very small compare to pop, rock, hiphop... and very rare that you see a good looking chick sings countries, that's why she have recieved so many support, even the judges of American Idol said some where in the later season that they would have prefer someone else (who did not win) over her. The thing with American Idol is that certain season contains more talent and it's harder to win, the season 1 and 2 had quite alot of talent, so did the season before this one. The rest of them is not quite as good.

  9. #49
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Ah yes, the Japanese. They also listen to a lot of good Western bands, something that other Asians don't.
    At least not anymore. The strange thing about Hong Kong pop culture is that as it's developed into its own over the years, Hong Kong's people have become increasingly insular to foreign influences. My parents, aunts, and uncles, who grew up in Hong Kong during the 1950s-1970s, remember that Western country, folk, jazz, pop, and rock were very popular with Hong Kong audiences in the day. Audiences would love to listen to the latest hits by Patti Page, Hank Williams, Louis Armstrong, Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. Even as late as the 1980s, British and American New Wave performers were very popular and well-known to Hong Kong audiences.

    Hong Kong didn't really have much of a pop culture of its own during the post-war years until TVB started in the late 1960s. Over the past twenty years, however, it seems that Hong Kong audiences have become increasingly insular in their entertainment tastes...preferring either natively grown talent and their work or at least artists and products imported from Asia. The recognition of Western pop culture has gone way, way down in Hong Kong during the past generation. I bet most Hong Kong teenagers today couldn't name five American or British pop, rock, or hip hop acts.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    At least not anymore. The strange thing about Hong Kong pop culture is that as it's developed into its own over the years, Hong Kong's people have become increasingly insular to foreign influences. My parents, aunts, and uncles, who grew up in Hong Kong during the 1950s-1970s, remember that Western country, folk, jazz, pop, and rock were very popular with Hong Kong audiences in the day. Audiences would love to listen to the latest hits by Patti Page, Hank Williams, Louis Armstrong, Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. Even as late as the 1980s, British and American New Wave performers were very popular and well-known to Hong Kong audiences.

    Hong Kong didn't really have much of a pop culture of its own during the post-war years until TVB started in the late 1960s. Over the past twenty years, however, it seems that Hong Kong audiences have become increasingly insular in their entertainment tastes...preferring either natively grown talent and their work or at least artists and products imported from Asia. The recognition of Western pop culture has gone way, way down in Hong Kong during the past generation. I bet most Hong Kong teenagers today couldn't name five American or British pop, rock, or hip hop acts.
    that does explain alot of the pop culture of HK ... pop culture is actually quite fun to study in most cases

  11. #51
    Senior Member Canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    that does explain alot of the pop culture of HK ... pop culture is actually quite fun to study in most cases
    It is good to have its own pop culture but I think that HK's pop is pretty lame nowadays. It wouldn't hurt being a little more open to the outside world sometime.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

    Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

  12. #52
    Senior Member 1xclusive_babi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Pretty much everyone in Hong Kong act; singers, beauty pageants, you name it, they all eventually go into acting.
    YAH THATS TRUE LOL
    ` forever&always R A Y M O N D L A M + B O S C O W O N G + M I K E H E <3

  13. #53
    Member pink-cherry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I had listened some hong kong music. Itīs not bad but not good, too. Everyone have to know itself if he wants to hear.

  14. #54
    Senior Member pemberly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    pimptown, USA
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I bet most Hong Kong teenagers today couldn't name five American or British pop, rock, or hip hop acts.
    i don't think that's true. i remember listening to hong kong radio a few years back to try to hear some more hk pop, and they played linkin park, and then went on a tirade about how much william hung sucks. i think hk teenagers are more worldly than you think. especially with the easy accessibility to music overseas nowadays.
    nytimes: Every hr you have 10 minutes where youíre not doing anything productive at work, & you canít look at porn. So you make a comment & fulfill this desire to show yourself off as a smarty-pants.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The cheesecake factory
    Posts
    12,632

    Default

    The new artists coming out are mostly just pretty faces..or some TVB actor/actress ( raymond,Bosco, ron, Linda, Vivian, ). They are either just mediocre and just untalented in singing.

    I like HK music from the 90's and back. The artists I am still faithful to is Jacky Cheung, Hacken, and William So
    Last edited by Sugar; 06-13-07 at 07:09 PM.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

    www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

  16. #56
    Senior Member botan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    The new artists coming out are mostly just pretty faces..or some TVB actor/actress ( raymond,Bosco, ron, Linda, Vivian, ). They are either just mediocre and just untalented in singing.

    I like HK music from the 90's and up. The artists I am still faithful to is Jacky Cheung, Hacken, and William So
    I agree, with you about the singers nowadays. I'm not impressed with any of them. And what is up with all the TVB actors/actresses starting to sing? Many of them can't sing and many of them can't act either. They should work on improving their acting first before starting on something else. I still prefer HK music from the early 90s as well.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The cheesecake factory
    Posts
    12,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by botan View Post
    I agree, with you about the singers nowadays. I'm not impressed with any of them. And what is up with all the TVB actors/actresses starting to sing? Many of them can't sing and many of them can't act either. They should work on improving their acting first before starting on something else. I still prefer HK music from the early 90s as well.
    I don't understand it either.. I mean. WHAT HAPPENED?

    In the 90's and before, I enjoyed Roman, Alan Tam, Vivian Chow, Priscilla Chan, Shirley YEung, Jacky Cheung, Leslie, Anita vivian lai, angela pang, sally yeh, cally kwong....


    but what is up with TVB actors/actresses singing and acting? Charmaine picked up singing, Bernince, Linda chung, Kenix , Frankie LAm, Michael Tao, Niki Chow......if the actor/actress was the main lead, you can gurantee that they will sing the theme song
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

    www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

  18. #58
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    but what is up with TVB actors/actresses singing and acting? Charmaine picked up singing, Bernince, Linda chung, Kenix , Frankie LAm, Michael Tao, Niki Chow......if the actor/actress was the main lead, you can gurantee that they will sing the theme song
    1) Asking their own staff to sing the themesong is cheaper.
    2) TVB need to promote the career of artists that signed management contract with them.

    The sad thing is that there are actually actors and actresses in TVB that can really sing but because they are not TVB chosen ones or not managed by TVB, they don't get a chance to sing.

    Actors that can sing:

    - Rain Lau Yuk Chui
    - Wayne Lai Yiu Cheung
    - Sammul Chan Kin Fung
    - Crystal Tin Yui Nei
    Last edited by kidd; 06-22-07 at 02:47 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  19. #59
    Senior Member Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The cheesecake factory
    Posts
    12,632

    Default

    I miss the 80's where there were good singers singing themes
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

    www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

  20. #60
    Senior Member Canuck21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    The new artists coming out are mostly just pretty faces..or some TVB actor/actress ( raymond,Bosco, ron, Linda, Vivian, ). They are either just mediocre and just untalented in singing.

    I like HK music from the 90's and back. The artists I am still faithful to is Jacky Cheung, Hacken, and William So
    The worse thing for me is that even the pretty faces are not pretty to my eyes. I prefer the uniqueness of old timers.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

    Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Similar Threads

  1. Hong Kong + Macau
    By jay_z in forum Travel and Food
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-07, 08:01 PM
  2. Mr Hong Kong 2006
    By Sword Goddess in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-06, 11:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •