View Poll Results: Do U Think HK Artist Can Sing?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 22.00%
  • No

18 36.00%
  • Maybe So-So

21 42.00%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?

Default Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?

Here's the thing, if you haven't noticed: I find that over 80% of hong kong artists nowadays CANNOT sing...companies are just pushing them to fame when they have no talent and is proven onstage. I don't know if anyone here thinks that TWINS, Edison are good singers

For the sake of this poll, think about the whole new generation of singers NOWADAYS and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by j-walker; 05-26-07 at 11:02 AM.
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

Since when does good acting ever become good singing? And even in good "acting", even that is hard to find nowadays at TVB.

i dun think edison's good, but then again, never heard much of him. I thought Twins were HEAPS crap when the first came out, but now they improved though I won't exactly say they're brilliant. Just average. And by ur ques, u prolly mean idol kind of singers?? cos some hk singers can reli sing, like erm, sally yeh (is she HK? maybe not), sammi cheng, kelly chen, Eason chan, Leo Ku etc.
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

most of the HK singer has this particular style where they never go into the higher notes, for the male they just sort of staying in the mid range then flat out, for the female they go in what i would describe as a "female falsetto" so they will totally avoided the high notes with power, this is something where you never see in a Euro/American style of singing.

Take example
    Love Guaranteed (Theme) - Let It Flow - Stephy Tang

that's one primary example... she does that ALOT, and it happens to most chinese singer. People like Eason Chan (i've heard a few of his song) sings with the American style pop.

Just an example off American Idol, the example of American Pop style singing is someone like Clay Aiken, Kelly Clarkson, or most recently Jordin Sparks, compare that to the HK singer and you can see the drastic different in style, along with that, it also shows the ability is also drastically different. I like the sound of HK women singers, it's a bit softer and quieter, but when it comes to the ability to sing, i'll have to hand it down to the american/euro singer, they are simply better in terms of voice range and technique.

i have to say i like to listen to cute voice more than deep voice, but when every1 sings in the cute voice, it is bad.

there are some hk singers with deep voices, some noticable ones are: miriam, jade, kelly.

an obvious one: janice vidal
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

It just goes to show that in Hong Kong, unlike in the West, "art" and "entertainment" are often two VERY different things.

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

some can sing some can't
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

For HK music, I prefer listening to male singers. For American music, I prefer to listen to female singers. The reason is probably exactly what others have said above. The American female singers have such great voices.

Not all HK singers are bad. Hacken Lee, Eason Chan, and Jacky Cheung are good. Cass Phang was good too, I thought. I dunno if she still sings though. I don't follow the Asian entertainment scene (or any entertainment scene in general) much so she could very well be married with kids now.

PS, I know Faye Wong has a reputation as a talented singer, but I don't like her singing style at all.
    This account is retired.

i like to see someone sing clay aiken's The way, i can't believe a geek like that got that kindda voice, i never watched him on american idol until recently when they did a comparison of Blake Luis and him singing the same song as their performance "Mack The Knife"... i got to say, the geek got a voice. Another singer on american idol that i think has a good voice is Kelly Clarkson, the girl is crazy strong in voice, in particular i listen to alot of different music in different languages, I have seen "good" from asia, but not "great" like some of the american artist, not sure if it's the culture that built these people or because of the teaching/style they learn from. I dislike Rubin Studdard, Kerry Underwood, Fantasia, Taylor Hicks, this season winner is also not as good as some of the other season, I don't watch alot of American Idol but i do tune in for the finally because it's always a good show ...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    For HK music, I prefer listening to male singers. For American music, I prefer to listen to female singers. The reason is probably exactly what others have said above. The American female singers have such great voices.

Not all HK singers are bad. Hacken Lee, Eason Chan, and Jacky Cheung are good. Cass Phang was good too, I thought. I dunno if she still sings though. I don't follow the Asian entertainment scene (or any entertainment scene in general) much so she could very well be married with kids now.

PS, I know Faye Wong has a reputation as a talented singer, but I don't like her singing style at all.
    omg cass phang, i love her. she does have a good voice

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    i like to see someone sing clay aiken's The way, i can't believe a geek like that got that kindda voice, i never watched him on american idol until recently when they did a comparison of Blake Luis and him singing the same song as their performance "Mack The Knife"... i got to say, the geek got a voice. Another singer on american idol that i think has a good voice is Kelly Clarkson, the girl is crazy strong in voice, in particular i listen to alot of different music in different languages, I have seen "good" from asia, but not "great" like some of the american artist, not sure if it's the culture that built these people or because of the teaching/style they learn from. I dislike Rubin Studdard, Kerry Underwood, Fantasia, Taylor Hicks, this season winner is also not as good as some of the other season, I don't watch alot of American Idol but i do tune in for the finally because it's always a good show ...
    try listening to janice vidal, u will be impressed
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

no!

Twins... Go-o-o-d sing-e-e-rs? pffft!

And that new girl, singing that song
    ''get out'
    the chorus ... omg!
    'get out , get out get out of my life, get out get out get out of my life!"
    so gay. she cant sing!
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post

try listening to janice vidal, u will be impressed
    her voice is SOOOO nice, love her new album.. but i din note her down as a good singer cos she can't do well live.. hope she improves cos right now, she's like the only noticeable hk female singer around.. the rest are just so so, no offence to joey yung, i used to like her, i think her songs now are just plain boring.
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Joey isnt too bad. her voice is good but she has no skill, like she breathes soo loud like most hk singers do, and she doesnt have much skill... but her voice is alright.

Janice... that girl that sang that song... 'get out' ??
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

If we're using singers like Mariah Carey et al as a benchmark, then obviously Asian idol-types will appear sub-par. This isn't even up for discussion. But I find it pointless to compare budding Asian idols who aren't known for their singing with well-established song devas who are known for their powerful vocals.

In order to get a real feel for the situation, you need to compare Asian idols with Western idols. If we keep the comparison realistic, you'll find that the difference isn't really that great after all.

I mean, are the Spice Girls really miles ahead of SHE?
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It just goes to show that in Hong Kong, unlike in the West, "art" and "entertainment" are often two VERY different things.
    Which version of "the West" are we talking about here? Watched MTV lately?

Did someone just mention Mariah Carey? OMG!
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

IMO HK artist can sing. Twins singing also isn't bad, especially Charlene(Ah Sa)

Question

Did anyone hear about the duo group 17 or something? I remember listening to their music once and find it ridiculous, I can barely hear their voices sort of mumbling too. Also, what's her name....yea, Yumiko...her singing is horrible too.

As for someone who said to compare western vs asian singers, it's obviously each one has their own style. I like Chinese music and such but lately Cantonese music (especially by "new" artists) is bothering me because they the lyrics seem out of place with phrases sticking out everywhere. It's just a mess. But when I listen to Mandarin music from Cao Ge, JJ Lin and David Tao, I can't help compare how they are so much better...maybe it's just the style of music that doesn't suit me. So I don't bother listening to Cantonese music (but I do listen to some music by hacken lee or kelly chen because they have a good vocal range). Maybe Taiwanese artist are better?

I guess it really depends on the person and their style of music they choose from...or maybe taste just changes overtime.
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

I think, in originality is considered very important, for every singer, no matter its a singing contestant on tv or people have not show themselves on tv. These are the ones, who has the truely hidden talents, in offering originality on the table with their own unique singing skills or bad. There's an old say, "The best one's within the large crowd who does not show themselves; actually are the best who is both true and unique".

I mostly listen to English songs from different categories and Chinese mandarin songs; no offense to canto speakers, I don't listen to canto. I prefer, Hip-Hop, R&B, Ballads, oldies classices, etc.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 05-27-07 at 01:29 PM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Which version of "the West" are we talking about here? Watched MTV lately?
    No, but there was this time in the West called the "60s"...and during that halycon time, people really believed that art and pop could be one and the same. This was the era that gave the world the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

While it might not be so true today, at least the West had an era when it was. I don't think Hong Kong pop could claim the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    No, but there was this time in the West called the "60s"...and during that halycon time, people really believed that art and pop could be one and the same. This was the era that gave the world the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

While it might not be so true today, at least the West had an era when it was. I don't think Hong Kong pop could claim the same.
    I think that the '70s and '80s also had a lot of experimentations from various artists. The new millennium stopped bringing anything new. It's pretty much about revival of old genres nowadays; there is hardly any art in entertainment anymore.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?