View Poll Results: Do U Think HK Artist Can Sing?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 22.00%
  • No

18 36.00%
  • Maybe So-So

21 42.00%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?

Quote Originally Posted by j-walker View Post
    Therefore, it's plagiarism. Let's say if this singer was getting an award for this song but they didn't really compose the songs but borrowed it from another singer, I may be wrong here but they might not have paid the songwriters. But the good thing here is, the original songs always sounds better. I was just listening to Justin's song the other day Man's KTV, wasn't it cantonese version of Anson's Hu song? Mandarin version sounds better!
    I don't see it that way. It is not plagiarism if the song writer was paid properly. It's only plagiarism if the song was used without the song writer consent. My question is has a cover ever been awarded a prize in the past?
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I don't see it that way. It is not plagiarism if the song writer was paid properly. It's only plagiarism if the song was used without the song writer consent. My question is has a cover ever been awarded a prize in the past?
    Doesn't matter if its awarded prize, I still think it's plagiarism probably b/c in school, anything idea that doesn't belong to you has to be REFERENCED properly no matter if it's from indirect or direct source in academic institution. Even though the music industry probably doesn't apply, it just gets to me. We both have our opinions so I'll just leave it at that.
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

Quote Originally Posted by j-walker View Post
    Doesn't matter if its awarded prize, I still think it's plagiarism probably b/c in school, anything idea that doesn't belong to you has to be REFERENCED properly no matter if it's from indirect or direct source in academic institution. Even though the music industry probably doesn't apply, it just gets to me. We both have our opinions so I'll just leave it at that.
    Of course it's gotta be referenced. When you ask for permission to play a song and pay the rights, you're supposed to reference the song writer too. At least that's how it's done in the western hemisphere. People get sued for taking a riff, let alone a whole song. When an artist does a cover and puts it on an album, it is referenced in the notes/booklet that comes with the CD.

New Order got sued for stealing the guitar riff on their single "Run 2" from John Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane". The case was settled out of court, and as a result the single has been out of print ever since, but a longer version title "Run" is widely available. So don't think that artists can plagiarize that easily.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Of course it's gotta be referenced. When you ask for permission to play a song and pay the rights, you're supposed to reference the song writer too. At least that's how it's done in the western hemisphere. People get sued for taking a riff, let alone a whole song. When an artist does a cover and puts it on an album, it is referenced in the notes/booklet that comes with the CD.

New Order got sued for stealing the guitar riff on their single "Run 2" from John Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane". The case was settled out of court, and as a result the single has been out of print ever since, but a longer version title "Run" is widely available. So don't think that artists can plagiarize that easily.
    George Harrison got sued for supposedly "ripping off" the Chiffons' "He's So Fine" for his own "My Sweet Lord," and although he lost the case in court, I feel that Harrison got screwed. Yeah, the two songs had the identical chord structure, but LOTS of songs do.

George got the last laugh, though: years later, he bought the rights for "He's So Fine," making him the owner of BOTH songs!

You don't mess with a Beatle.

Hong Kong still have rock bands like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3wy7wj9AQ

But they are indie rock bands, so, not as well known as the mainstream pop singers.

I think the two member band Soler is also good.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-23-08 at 12:52 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

This TVB actor has such a nice voice. Too bad he's stuck in supporting roles and not famous. Won't be able to hear him sing much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRept570pM

The guy in black is the TVB actor Kwok Cheuk Wah (郭卓樺).

Check out this website. Got lots of Chinese artists as members.

Some of the names there are really obscure. I think they are not mainstream. You won't see them in Jade Solid Gold.

http://www.alivenotdead.com/

Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?
    Sure, as long as they have a throat.

ARTS.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」