Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer Chapter 36-40

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post
    Naming it "evil resisting NEEDLE art" would sound a bit gay, wouldn't you say?

The name means nothing.
    Since you want to be technical and use outside evidence such as that.. well cutting off your family jewel's is also gay so I think that therefore negates the point of the name being gay. So once again my point stands.. name means something. K thanx.

And yes the orginal art was made for and by a eunuch but the evil-restraining sword art was not. Kthanx

The speed f the user is most definetly connected to the type of weapon he uses. It's a lot easier to be quick if you're using a 1g weapon, than it is using one that weighs 1kg.

The weight and length of a weapon would surely afect his performance.
    Ok well we all agree DFBB>YBQ in Sunflower Manual and in martial arts in general right?

Well LHC thought YBQ's speed and moves were similiar to DFBB.. meaning he was just as fast .. as far as the eye can see. I'd argue he might be a little slower than DFBb considering YBQ hasn't been trianign as long.

@batmankiller: I believe you misunderstood me. I guess its my fault. It was a bad choice of words so I'll explain myself a bit better.

When I said the name was a tad "gay", I was referring to how it would sound to other people. If you'll remember, both Yue BuQun and Lin PingZhi's grandfather went to a great extent to hide the fact that had "chopped off their manhood". Naming the technique "evil resisting NEEDLE art" surely would not help.

Yes, there are a lot of other weird - and even stupid - names, but I'd say that having an impressive name would always be important if you wanted to command respect.

This is not a great argument, but I believe it serves well enough to defeat your point. The name of the technique is chosen more for aesthetic reasons than to accurately describe it. The fact that it was named "Evil Resisting Sword Art" does not necessarily mean it was meant to be used with a sword.

Chapter 37 Forcing Marriage
    (Translated by: Pokit; Edited by: Hhaung)

After Linghu Chong and Yingying came out from the valley, they walked for half a day and arrived at a small town. They went to a noodle shop to eat some noodle. Linghu Chong had picked up a few strings of noodles with his chopsticks when he chuckled and said, "We haven't paid our respect to heaven and earth to get married..."

Yingying's whole face immediately became bright red. "Who said I'm going to pay respect to heaven and earth to marry you?" she angrily replied.

"We'll get married in the future," said a smiling Linghu Chong. "If you're not willing, then I'll grab you and make you pay respect to heaven and earth."

Yingying was looking like she was smiling but not smiling at the same time. "You were so well behaved when we were in the valley. Once we come out, you're speaking such improper crazy talks again."

Linghu Chong was still smiling as he replied, "We must definitely be most proper concerning this lifelong great matter. Yingying, that day in the valley, I suddenly thought of something. After we become husband and wife, I wonder how many kids we'll have."

Yingying stood up abruptly with a scowl on her face. "If you keep saying these things, I won't go back with you to Heng-Shan."

"Alright, alright, I'll stop, I'll stop," Linghu Chong laughed. But he continued, "There are so many peach trees in that valley that it looks like a peach valley. If we have six ghosts, wouldn't they become Little Peach Valley Six Fairies?"

"How can we have six ghosts?" Yingying muttered as she sat back down. At the same time she said this, she understood what he meant. This was more crazy talk from Linghu Chong. Her eyes widened showing the whites all around them; she looked at Linghu Chong and quickly lowered her head and stuffed noodles into her mouth. Her heart was filled with sweetness.

"When we go back to Heng-Shan together, there will be some dirty minded person and there'll also be people who thought that we've gotten married. I'm afraid you won't be happy hearing such vulgar nonsense," Linghu Chong said.

This was exactly what Yingying was thinking of. She said, "That's right. It's best if we disguise ourselves as farmers; then no one would be able to recognise us."

"You have such a beautiful and lovely face. No matter what we change into, it'll always shock people. When other people see us, they'll secretly praise: 'Hey, such a beautiful girl. What is she doing with a silly little kid? How can such a rare and beautiful flower be inserted into a pile of dung?' But when they look closer, they'll definitely see this rare flower is actually the Divine Sun Moon Sect's young lady Ren while this pile of manure is the person young lady Ren favoured, Linghu Chong."

"You don't need to be so modest," Yingying smiled.

"I think, when we go back to Heng-Shan this time, I should become someone ordinary and secretly look around first. If everything's quiet and safe, I'll go there by myself and give up this headmaster position to someone. Then I'll meet with you at some secret place and we'll go down the mountain together. The gods wouldn't know, the ghosts wouldn't know, how can this be not good?"

Hearing him said this; she knew he was being considerate to her so she felt really happy. She laughingly said, "That's very good. But when you go up Mount Heng-Shan, it's best if you shave your own head and disguise yourself as a Shi Tai, especially when you are going to see those Shi Tai. No one would be suspicious of you. Brother Chong, come, I'll help you change to become a little nun. I'm only afraid you might be too good looking."

Linghu Chong waved his hand. "No, no. Once I see a nun, I'll lose all my bet. If Linghu Chong pretends to be a nun then I might get bad luck later on. That won't do at all."

Yingying laughed. "A gentleman is flexible, why do you need so many taboos for? I have to shave you now."

Linghu Chong also laughed. "There's no need to dress as a nun. But to go up Xianxing Peak, I'll need to dress as a woman. But once I speak, people will know I'm a man. I have an idea. Do you remember the person from the Hanging Temple on Mount Cui Ping beyond the Porcelain Oven Pass?"

Yingying hummed as she thought. Then she clapped her hands and said, "Wonderful, wonderful! There's a mute and deaf servant at the Hanging Temple. Even when we turned that temple upside down, she didn't hear a single thing. When you ask her anything, she just stupidly looks at you. You want to disguise as this person?"

"That's right."

"Alright, let's go buy a gown for you to change into," said Yingying laughing.

Yingying used two silver taels to buy a head of long hair from a country girl. She combed it well before putting it on Linghu Chong's head. Then she let him change into a farmer woman's gown and he now looked like a woman. She then daubed some yellow powder and drew seven to eight black moles on his face. And she also stuck a piece of medicinal wrap on his lower right cheek. Linghu Chong looked in the mirror and he couldn't even recognise himself.

Yingying laughed and said, "Your figure is similar to hers, but your expression isn't. You have to wear this stupid and foolish expression: slow-witted and clumsy like."

Linghu Chong laughed. "Wearing a stupid and foolish expression is very easy, there's nothing to change. Slow-witted and clumsy, that's also Linghu Chong's true colour."

"The most important thing is when someone suddenly tries to scare you from behind, you mustn't give yourself away," Yingying cautioned.

Along the road, Linghu Chong practised to be this mute and deaf woman. The two of them didn't spend the night in an inn but lodged in an abandoned temple. Yingying again and again suddenly shouted behind him and Linghu Chong was adequately deaf to it. Within a day, they arrived at the foot of Mount Heng-Shan. They made an appointment to meet each other in three days at the Hanging Temple's field. Linghu Chong then went up the Xianxing Peak alone, leaving Yingying to spend her time nearby on the mountain.[/FONT]

Actually, it's stated a few times in the book that YBQ is much slower compared to DFBB.

DFBB never refers to the Evil Resisting Sword Art in the book.

You said Evil Resisting is the incomplete version of the Sunflower Manual, but the sunflower manual that DFBB learned isn't the complete version as well. It was the version that the 2 huashan brothers memorised and wrote down. The 2 of them even argued on the interpretation and whether each of them had memorised them correctly. So both the evil resisting and sunflower manual learned by DFBB, YBQ, LPZ, etc, etc, are both incomplete and based on different people's interpretation.

Thanks Pokit and HH

Great Translation keep up the good work

Thanks Pokit...
    :-)
    the woxia encyclopedia.

Haha, I wouldn't call myself a wuxia encyclopedia.

I'm familiar with this story because I've been translating it and I have to read every word to do it. So I remember little details.

Quote Originally Posted by pokit View Post
    DFBB never refers to the Evil Resisting Sword Art in the book.

You said Evil Resisting is the incomplete version of the Sunflower Manual, but the sunflower manual that DFBB learned isn't the complete version as well. It was the version that the 2 huashan brothers memorised and wrote down. The 2 of them even argued on the interpretation and whether each of them had memorised them correctly. So both the evil resisting and sunflower manual learned by DFBB, YBQ, LPZ, etc, etc, are both incomplete and based on different people's interpretation.
    I would think that both versions should be close since the gist of both (BXJF and DFBB's version) came from the same 'creator' - Lin Yuantu. If anything, BXJF should be better since it was Lin's own version.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I also think the evil resisting is stronger than the sunflower manual.

When the story was told, i get the impression those 2 brothers weren't as good as Lin Yuantu when interpreting their stolen book. Well, that's why they asked him in the first place.

Default Thanks

Just wish to put in my most sincere thanks and appreciation to the translators and editor.

Sometime ago, I thought I would try to edit some of the gibberish that came out from an internet based translator, but gave up after about 30minutes. So I can really, really appreciate the amount of effort put in by pokit and HHaung. Once again, thanks.

KYL

I'm afraid something bad will happen to Ying Ying

Err... yes, and Linghu Chong along with Ren Woxing and Xian Wen Tian barely won against Dong Fang Bubai. And they only did win because he was protecting the other idiot.

I sincerely doubt FQY could win against DFBB. And I'm not too sure that a LC with 10 more years worth of experience with DG9 would be able to win against a DFBB either.
    They did win in the end, though through tactics rather than sword art. Furthermore, LHC managed to win over YBQ. DG9 comprised of 9 stances, and LHC mastered 1. Though I am not sure whether FQY mastered all 9 stances, however, it does seem that he has mastered the underlying principles, from the ease in which he passed the sword skill to LHC. From what FQY said earlier in the story, he his able to determine an opponents move before it is made, and no matter how fast a sword art is, if a counter can be made, it can be broken. As for the counter, it is preferably done after the move is made, so as not to be given away and lose initiative. This is stealing the initiative from the enemy.
    Hmm.. as for the name, in most martial arts I know, the name means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by markost View Post
    They did win in the end, though through tactics rather than sword art. Furthermore, LHC managed to win over YBQ. DG9 comprised of 9 stances, and LHC mastered 1. Though I am not sure whether FQY mastered all 9 stances, however, it does seem that he has mastered the underlying principles, from the ease in which he passed the sword skill to LHC. From what FQY said earlier in the story, he his able to determine an opponents move before it is made, and no matter how fast a sword art is, if a counter can be made, it can be broken. As for the counter, it is preferably done after the move is made, so as not to be given away and lose initiative. This is stealing the initiative from the enemy.
    Hmm.. as for the name, in most martial arts I know, the name means a lot.
    I agree with everything you said but would like to add something. About the part of making the counter after the move is made, this is controversal. It all depends on the speed of the user and if the person is not fast enough to intiate the counter in time, and falls short, IE:the fight between LHC and DFBB then the counter *after* is a weakness/disadvantage. The alternative would be to compromise to the loss of the speed to make the move before the move is made, and although this might suprise the enemy at first, they could get a hold of this, like you said, and soon just defend that move and cause a counter-attack right aftewards.

I'm afraid something bad will happen to Ying Ying
    Bloodflower, the way things are going I think the interesting things haven't finish yet. I am sure something will happened to LHC and RYY but don't worry, they will find a way out..

A bit more for today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Linghu Chong arrived at Xianxing Peak, it was already evening. He pondered, "If I enter the convent and take a look around, martial sisters Yiqing, Zheng E, Yilin and the other martial sisters are all very observant, so they'll definitely get suspicious. It's still best if I secretly look around first."

He quickly found a secluded mountain cave and slept there until the moon was in the middle of the sky. Then he went to the living quarters of Wuse Convent at Xianxing Peak. As he neared the living quarters, he heard the sound of long swords clashing continuously. Linghu Chong was startled as he thought, "Which enemy has come here?" He touched the short sword he was hiding inside his bosom and flew towards the sword clashing sound. The sound of fighting was coming from a house more than a hundred feet outside of Wuse Convent. There was light shining out from the house's windows. Linghu Chong rushed besides the house and heard the sound of fighting become fiercer. However, when he put his eyes to the window, he immediately felt at ease. It was Yihe and Yilin practising sword while Yiqing and Zheng E were standing on the side watching. Yihe and Yilin were practising the sword art that Linghu Chong had taught them before, which was the sword art taken from the cave behind the Cliff of Contemplation on Mount Huashan. The two of them were already quite familiar with the sword art.

As they fought, Yihe's sword gradually got faster and Yilin was barely able to keep up. Yihe thrust her sword point straight out in front of her chest. Yilin tried to circle her sword to block it but she was too late. "Ah," Yilin cried out softly. The point of Yihe's long sword was already pointing at Yilin's heart. Yihe smiled and said, "Martial sister, you lost again."

Yilin was very ashamed as she lowered her head and replied, "I've been practising but I haven't improved at all."

"You've improved compared to last time. Let's go again," Yihe said as she hacked her sword down in the middle of the air.

"Little martial sister's tired already," Yiqing interrupted. "Go to sleep with martial sister Zheng. We'll practise again tomorrow."

"Yes," Yilin replied. She put her sword back into the scabbard then took her leave from Yihe and Yiqing. Then she pulled on Zheng E's hand and went out of the door.

When Yilin turned around, Linghu Chong saw that she looked sad. He thought, "This little martial sister is always unhappy."

Yihe closed the door, then looked at Yiqing and they both shook their heads. They waited till the footsteps of Yilin and Zheng E were far away before Yihe said, "I always see little martial sister's mind not being calm. Her heart is always in turmoil; this is a big taboo for people like us. I don't know how to advise her."

Yiqing replied, "It's very hard to advise, she must understand it herself."

"I know why her mind isn't calm, her heart is always thinking of..."

Yiqing waved her hand and said, "This is the sacred ground of Buddha, don't say such kind of talk. If we're not in a hurry to avenge master then we could've let her understand it slowly and there would be no harm."

Yihe said, "Master used to say: everything in this world is destined and there's nothing we can do about it; especially when you have to concentrate your mind on something that must be done gradually. If it is forced then you can easily fall into the world of evil. I see little martial sister is emotional both inside and outside, and with her kind of personality, she's actually unsuitable to be a person of Buddhism."

Yiqing let out a sigh and said, "I've never tasted that kind of feeling before, but... but in the end, our school must have a Buddhist to be the headmaster. Martial Brother Linghu once said that he's only going to be the headmaster of this school temporarily only. But first we have to deal with that traitor Yue Buqun, who killed our master and martial uncles..."

Linghu Chong was greatly startled when he heard this. "How can it be my master who killed their master and martial uncles?" Then he heard Yiqing went on, "If we don't avenge this deep hatred, then we, as their disciples, won't be able to eat and sleep peacefully."

Yihe said, "I'm even more anxious compared to you. Alright, we'll intensify her sword training tomorrow."

"The common saying goes: you botch it by hurrying it, but not forcing it will let you advance greatly. However, in the past few days, I've seen little martial sister's vigour becoming less and less," Yiqing said.

"That's right," Yihe agreed. The two martial sisters picked up their weapons and extinguished the light. Then they went inside and lay down on their beds.

Linghu Chong quietly stood outside the window and his mind was in turmoil. "Why did they say my master killed their master and martial uncles? Also, why do they need to avenge their master before getting someone to receive the school's leadership? And why must they supervise little martial sister Yilin's sword training around the clock?"

He stood there thinking to himself for a long time, but he still didn't understand the reason. He slowly walked away and thought, "I'll ask martial sisters Yihe and Yiqing later."

Suddenly, Linghu Chong saw his own shadow slowly swaying. He raised his head and looked at the moon. The moon looked as if it was hanging on the tip of a tree. He immediately thought of something and he nearly called out. He thought, "I should've realised this a long time ago. Why did they understand this matter, but I didn't?" He quickly went besides the wall of a small house and leaned on it so that the guards around the Heng-Shan School wouldn't be able to see his shadow.

When his mind became calm, he thought back to the Shaolin Temple where Dingxian and Dingyi Shi Tai were killed. At that time, Dingyi Shi Tai had already died, and Dingxian Shi Tai passed away straight after she had given him the leadership of the school. Dingxian Shi Tai didn't reveal who the murderer was. When he checked their bodies, there were no sign of external or internal injuries nor was there any sign of poison on the two Shi Tai's bodies. The way they died was really weird, but it was inappropriate for him to open their gowns to check more thoroughly. Later, after he had come out from Shaolin Temple, Yingying told him she opened their gowns and checked on their injuries. She saw two little holes on the skin above their hearts. It looked as if someone had used needles to pierce their hearts. At that time, he had jumped up and said: 'Poison needle? Who uses poison needles in Wulin?' and Yingying had replied: 'Daddy and Uncle Xiang's experiences are vast, but they also don't know. Daddy said that it wasn't a poisoned needle. It's actually a sharp weapon aimed at a fatal point that killed them. But the needle piercing Dingxian Shi Tai was slightly slanted.' He had said: 'Yes. When I saw Dingxian Shi Tai, she was still alive. This needle had pierced into her chest, so it wasn't done secretly, and they were actually fighting face to face. The person who killed the two Shi Tai must've been a master with high martial art.' Yingying said: 'That's what my daddy also said. Since we have this clue, it won't be hard to find out who the murderer is.' At that time, he had slapped the wall of the cave and said loudly: 'Yingying, while the two of us still have our lives, we must avenge the two Shi Tai,' and Yingying replied: 'Yes.'

Both of Linghu Chong's hands were pressed on the wall and he couldn't help shivering. He thought, "The master who is capable of killing the two Shi Tai by using a small piece of needle must either be using the Sunflower Manual or the Evil Resisting Sword Art. Dongfang Bubai had always been on top of the Dark Wood Cliff embroidering, so he couldn't be the one killing people in Shaolin Temple. Also, looking at his martial art, his needle couldn't have missed when he tried to kill Dingxian Shi Tai. Zuo Lengchan had learned the fake Evil Resisting Sword Art. At that time, martial brother Lin had only gotten the sword manual so he couldn't have learned it completely; perhaps he might not even have gotten the manual at that time..." He thought back to the snow field when he met with Lin Pingzhi and Yue Lingshan and he thought, "That's right, at that time, Lin Pingzhi's voice hasn't changed yet. It doesn't matter if he had gotten the manual or not because he couldn't have completed his learning of the Evil Resisting Sword Art then" As he thought till here, sweat started to come out from his forehead.

weird, with YBQ swallowing that medicine, I am having a hard time seeing how he will come back and fight LHC or RWX again...

Thank you so much pokit and HH!

cant ever believe yue buqun is so villanious...what is he achieving after loosing his wife,daughter,son-in-law and son like linghu chong?