Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer Chapter 36-40

The problem with RWX is that he does whatever he fancies, which means he is unpredictable, whatever gets he's attention or benefits him.. And if that means killing his daughter, who knows?

As for RYY, I think she will lean towards LHC if it comes down to LHC and RWX fight.. poor girl

RWX is a power hungary man and has the potential to do really bad things to obtain power.

I agree that if RWX and LHC ever fight RYY will side with LHC.

I think the best baddie in this novel is DFBB, too bad he departed too early.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    great!, thank you pokit and hhaung. and i thought LHC could not defeat YBQ once he learnt PXJF. but i hate the fact that JY always specify that LHC common ruin strategy could fail if his opponent is going to die with him. it makes DG9J less powerful.

I would still believe that JinYong got the DG9J idea indirectly from Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do philosophies, or probably some high level martial arts philosophies. And the interesting thing is, even contemporary computers are using DG9J with SSE, SSE2 and similar insturctions stuff to speed up the processor.
    There are some philosophies in old martial arts that's somewhat akin to DG9J, but more focused towards the mental development of the martial artist rather then the sword art itself. For instance, in Japanese bushido, there's a term 'mushin', I believe, whereby the practitioner achieves a state of enlightenment, sometimes called a sword-saint. Miyamoto Musashi would be a perfect, true-life example of this.
    Some ancient martial arts also forward this notion, (i believe its Wu-Tang), whereby its the weapon that does the killing, the practitioner merely a medium.
    To some point, a more modern personality said to have achieved such status is Mohamed Ali, the boxer, due to the fact that he seemingly counters his opponents moves before they are made.

Quote Originally Posted by tianbin View Post
    On contrary, perhaps Bruce Lee got some of his ideas from JY. Bruce Lee was still very young when SPW was first published. Also, Bruce Lee adopted many martial arts legends in his own movies, like Shaolin and Wudang.

Bruce Lee was smart enough to recognize that some martial art concepts described by JY doesn't work in actual combat, like the lack of physical conditioning. He was true to the martial art philosophies though.
    I'd like to believe that they developed the ideas separately. Someone practicing martial arts and someone meditating on martial arts would more likely than not come upon the same conclusion. It all starts in the mind.
    Bruce Lee is a martial arts master who is familiar with many of the world's martial arts and doesn't hold rigidly to the structures already laid down by previous philosophies. Jin Yong also, would be extremely familiar with various types of martial arts.Both are extremely passionate about martial arts.
    I do, however have to agree with tianbin, that it would be highly unlikely that Jin Yong based some philosophies in his novels on Jeet Kun do.
    Last edited by markost; 07-21-07 at 05:17 AM. Reason: left a word out, typos

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    He's different from me then.....I got mine solely from reading JY.
    lol, you could do that?
    or are you referring to skills other than martial arts?

p.s : sorry for the triple posts, i kinda got 'quote button happy'.
    Last edited by markost; 07-21-07 at 05:22 AM.

When's the next part gonna come in? too anxious

Personally I think the saga with ZLC and LPZ will come to an end, finishing in a battle with YBQ.. Then it is down to the battle with YBQ and LHC and RWX.. It is going to be a battle to end all battle I think!!! Evil Resisting vs D9 vs the absorbing stance.. oh yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by markost View Post
    lol, you could do that?
    or are you referring to skills other than martial arts?

p.s : sorry for the triple posts, i kinda got 'quote button happy'.
    Nah, I'm speaking of martial arts only. For example, I used the Essence Absorbing Stance yesterday at lunch to finish my footlong Subway sandwich. Otherwise, I'd have had to leave it. Thanks, JY!

Okay, i wasn't here since the YBQ fight. So here's my 2 cents. I've always said FQY's DG9J could defeat DFBB's KHBD.

When FQY first thought the DG9J to LHC, he mentioned that a young person like LHC could look for the weakness after the move has been executed, but an old man like him would need to see the weakness of the moves before it is executed. We've seen a semi-experienced LHC do this only after seeing the move executed at least once.

However, it is unlikely that a master like FQY would need to exhaust his opponent's repertoire before fighting back. This is further supported by his statement that there are many cues to the direction of a move, from a slight shift of the angle of the wrists, to twitches in the eyes, but he commented that LHC is too green to use such cues.

The point is, FQY has definitely mastered the DG9J to the point where he does not need to see a move executed to find it's weakness, and could attack a weakness before it shows itself. No speed can counter prescience, that's why Hiro Nakamura should be the most powerful character in Heroes.

Lots of initials, i know.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

I think it has been mentioned several times, that LHC's Dugu Nine Swords ability has surpasses FQY's if I'm not mistaken....definitely RWX mentioned it before they were fighting in the dungeon. If that's the case, then DFBB's ability would be above FQY's as well.

I think that LHC *is* seeing the moves and their flaws before they're actually unleashed. Against every single opponent so far, he's been able to forestall and stifle their attacks. The only exceptions are the KHBD/PXJF fighters.

EVEN THEN, he was sufficient to partially stifle YBQ even before the moves repeated. Against DFBB he couldn't capitalize on flaws but he was good enough at attacking first and taking initiative that DFBB was often forced to retract his force. It just shows how incredible DFBB's speed was that even launching an attack first isn't enough to beat him.

Not quite. RWX's words implied that he never fought FQY when FQY had DG9J; in other words, the FQY he fought had only Huashan sword art at the time. So quite conceivably, FQY>>RWX, if even before learning DG9J, RWX respected him so profoundly.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

While I agree that RWX implied that FCY didn't have DG9J when RWX encountered him (not necessarily battled), this does not necessarily mean that FCY > RWX either. It does seem likely that they were at least peers though (in terms of overall martial arts).

It seems strange though that RWX spoke that way however. XWT and the the Plum Manor Residents clearly recognized LHC's DG9J as FCY's sword art. One would think that RWX would recognize it as such too. Perhaps he never fought against FCY directly and thus never encountered DG9J's Tit For Tat mechanism.

If you assess that DG9J FCY > RWX, I'd agree considering LHC's level, but neither do I think that FCY was _that_ good to merit a >>
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 07-24-07 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Not quite. RWX's words implied that he never fought FQY when FQY had DG9J; in other words, the FQY he fought had only Huashan sword art at the time. So quite conceivably, FQY>>RWX, if even before learning DG9J, RWX respected him so profoundly.

Maybe, but the RWX who had not gone into seclusion yet (to meet FCY, he must have not gone into seclusion and later got betrayed by DFBB yet) would not have started learning Xi Xing Da Fa and improved his inner energy tremendously. Maybe that evens out.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

RWX never fought with FQY. that meant he also had no idea what DG9J was, he probably only heard the name. XWT had seen the swordplay before but DG9j defies description, so RWX had only his own idea's to rely on. he assumed that FQY would be limited by huashan swordplay's limits. he did not know that since DG9J follows the opponents moves, it has theortically limitless moves.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Maybe, but the RWX who had not gone into seclusion yet (to meet FCY, he must have not gone into seclusion and later got betrayed by DFBB yet) would not have started learning Xi Xing Da Fa and improved his inner energy tremendously. Maybe that evens out.
    RWX knew XXDF before his imprisonment. It was during the imprisonment that he figure out a (faulty) way of quelling the multiple energy streams though.

In my opinion, DG9J could be, when mastered, the pinnacle of martial arts.
    In the case of LHC, I don't believe that he has truly mastered such an exceptional martial art. To actually master a sword art such as DG9J, one must remain calm, stoic and devoid of disturbing emotion. As we can see, LHC has yet to achieve such a state. Near it ultimate form, a practitioner of DG9J should be able to predict the outcome of a fight, visualize the individual moves involved, and set the mental stage for himself and his opponent. Any opponent with less willpower would be devoured mentally, thus victory is achieved before the first move is executed physically.

We can see that he initially has trouble against KHBD/PXJF fighters as he doubted his swordplay when pitched against them. For KHBD/PXJF fighters, speed is their strength, but it is also seemingly their weakness. Due to the having to maintain their speed, the split-second gap between moves is not enough to make any sound decisions. We can see with YBQ's defeat, even though LHC countered before his move, YBQ was still about to follow through into the next move.

As for FQY vs RWX, I believe its quite possible for FQY to win. DG9J is a sword-art that transcends normal limitations like internal energy. We can see proof in that LHC was able to use it quite successfully, even when his internal energy was close to non-existent. Furthermore, FQY would have achieved 'flow' before the fight starts, compared to LHC who usually achieves the state midway through, and thus dominate his opponent.

On the whole, I agree with Ardor. Even if you can move as fast as light, if the counter has been completed before that, it's somewhat futile.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    RWX knew XXDF before his imprisonment. It was during the imprisonment that he figure out a (faulty) way of quelling the multiple energy streams though.

And before his imprisonment, he was in seclusion. And before his seclusion, he had not started on XXDF yet.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

RWX had mastered XXDf years before his imprisonment. he was the leader of sunmoon cult for a long time and at the time DFBB snatched power, he was still the leader. DFBB was the vice-leader. RWX was occupied with the problems inside XXDF, but he was not in suculsion. DFBB pulled a coup suddenly, RWX was still active in wulin till that incident 10 years before. DFBB only practised sunflower manual and gained fame in the few years following.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

RWX did not start XXDF in his seclusion. he already knew it long ago, as it was mentioned in his fight against ZLC in Shaolin that they had a previous fight long ago, and it was considered drawn. RWX was winning but because of his mixture of internal energy started to go haywire and seeing that ZLC had backup coming, so RWX jumped away.