Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeung Pan Pan (楊盼盼)

Default Yeung Pan Pan (楊盼盼)

I just had the fortune to watch LOCH 83 again and really like the actress that played Mok Nianci. Found out her name is Yang Pan Pan but couldn't find much info on her. Any info about her is much appreciated.
    Last edited by christinatran; 05-29-07 at 01:05 PM.

oooh i got some

Sharon Yeung Pan Pan
    Born on 01/04/58

Sharon was easily one of the more talented female kung fu and then later “Girls with Guns” action stars, but she never approached the popularity of a number of the other women in these same genres. Watching her though is a complete pleasure as she combined grace, power and astonishing flexibility to create some memorable scenes. At one time she was even called “Lady Jackie Chan” due to her skills. Her characters tended to be very straightforward and at times even somewhat masculine and perhaps this was part of the reason that she never has had the fans of a Moon Lee or an Angela Mao.

To some degree Sharon made the transition to the girls with guns films – but appeared in only a handful of them – Princess Madam, Angel Enforcers, Angel Terminators, Way of the Lady Boxers and Deadly Target (aka Fatal Target). These were fairly low budget action films but Sharon showed some amazing moves and Princess Madam and Angel Terminators are definite recommendations. The segment on this actress -- which includes an interesting interview with a lively and vivacious her -- in Top Fighter 2: Deadly China Dolls is also worth checking out.

To the best of my knowledge she has appeared in no films since 1996 (though she produced a recent film in 2000 – An Eye for an Eye), and spent some time doing some kind of entertainment industry work in Taiwan, but she seems to have latterly returned to Hong Kong, appears on Television – and in fact she has done some action choreography in that medium – and she still appears in an annual telethon that is quite famous for the acrobatic stunts that she performs.

http://brns.com/hkactors/pages/intro.html
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    oooh i got some

Sharon Yeung Pan Pan
    Born on 01/04/58

Sharon was easily one of the more talented female kung fu and then later “Girls with Guns” action stars, but she never approached the popularity of a number of the other women in these same genres. Watching her though is a complete pleasure as she combined grace, power and astonishing flexibility to create some memorable scenes. At one time she was even called “Lady Jackie Chan” due to her skills. Her characters tended to be very straightforward and at times even somewhat masculine and perhaps this was part of the reason that she never has had the fans of a Moon Lee or an Angela Mao.

To some degree Sharon made the transition to the girls with guns films – but appeared in only a handful of them – Princess Madam, Angel Enforcers, Angel Terminators, Way of the Lady Boxers and Deadly Target (aka Fatal Target). These were fairly low budget action films but Sharon showed some amazing moves and Princess Madam and Angel Terminators are definite recommendations. The segment on this actress -- which includes an interesting interview with a lively and vivacious her -- in Top Fighter 2: Deadly China Dolls is also worth checking out.

To the best of my knowledge she has appeared in no films since 1996 (though she produced a recent film in 2000 – An Eye for an Eye), and spent some time doing some kind of entertainment industry work in Taiwan, but she seems to have latterly returned to Hong Kong, appears on Television – and in fact she has done some action choreography in that medium – and she still appears in an annual telethon that is quite famous for the acrobatic stunts that she performs.

http://brns.com/hkactors/pages/intro.html
    Thanks for the info, Sugar. It's too bad that the series Legend of the Condor Heroes made Felix, Barbara, and Micheal superstars in TVB but didn't make anything out of Yang Pan Pan. She got the looks, the talent, unfortunately not the luck. What a waste. Truly love her in LOCH and I wished she and Micheal had more scenes together.

I agree. i like her Mu nian ci. actually, I think the orignal casting was great. love Felix's Guo jing too. There is an air of naviety about him that is so convincing.

I never watch the china version or the taiwanese version of LOCH so I can't comment. However I did watch the 94 TVB version and I was so bored and aghast by the portrayal of Yeung Hong by Gallen Lo I stopped watching it halfway. Don't get me wrong, I totally have respect for Gallen Lo and viewed him as one of the most talented actors of TVB but him as Yeung Hong? Yeung Hong is supposed to be handsome and charming like Micheal Mui but Gallen Lo couldn't really give off either. But he did get the evil part down good though.

Quote Originally Posted by christinatran View Post
    I just had the fortune to watch LOCH 83 again and really like the actress that played Mok Nianci. Found out her name is Yang Pan Pan but couldn't find much info on her. Any info about her is much appreciated.
    She also appeared in TVB Series' DGSD 1982 (mostly in the first few episodes as Muk Wan Qing) and the Yang's Saga in 1985 (as one of the Yang's sisters). She had a one on one scene with Michael Miu toward the end of the series that brought back some LOCH 83 memories.

She was also in The New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung and a handful of other series. I agree that its a shame that her talent was not as recognized. To this date, I still believe that she is the best Mu Nianci.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy View Post
    She was also in The New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung and a handful of other series. I agree that its a shame that her talent was not as recognized. To this date, I still believe that she is the best Mu Nianci.
    despite all the hype about Shui Ling's MNC, i still thought Yang Pan Pan's was the best, and she certainly had the best chemistry with her Yang Kang.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/ronrayng/yngpan7.jpg')

English Name: Sharon Yeung
    Chinese Name: Yeung Pan Pan
    Date of Birth : February 5, 1959
    Height : 5 ' 5"

Debut with TVB : 1979

End with TVB : 1990, but from 1987-1989, she did not sign a contract with TVB

Acting History : Sharon began to act in 1969 with Siu See as a stuntsgirl at age 10. Then in the 1970s, she signed with Gai Nai, which disbanded in 1979. From 1979 to 1990, she made series for TVB. However, during this period, she also acted in Taiwan. After 1990, she made series in Malaysia. Now, she is a producer of movies.

Family : One daughter

Interesting Facts : Sharon knows real martial arts. She does her own stunts, and her 2 siblings (martial arts older brothers), who are also in acting, are Austin Wai Tin Chi and Stephen Tung Wai.

Most Frequent Male Co-Star : Miu Kiu Wai and Felix Wong

Most Frequent Female Co-Star : Cecilia Wong and Gigi Chiu

TV Series:
    1979 - The Legend of Chor Lau Heung
    1979 - The Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre
    1979 - The Legend of the Heroic Knights
    1980 - Misfits
    1980 - Discharge Prisoner
    1980 - Teet Lik Wai Zi Wai Siu Sai Ga
    1980 - Women CID
    1981 - In Love and In War
    1981 - Master from Fat San
    1981 - Yang War House
    1981 - The Legend of the Wonder Lady
    1982 - The Legend of the Unknown
    1982 - The Understudy
    1982 - The Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils I & II
    1983 - The Legend of the Condor Heroes
    1984 - The Young Wanderer
    1984 - The Rise and Fall of the Stand-In
    1984 - Hero Without Tears
    1984 - Hero Without Tears II
    1984 - The New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung
    1985 - The Lamp Lord
    1985 - Gary's Angel
    1985 - The Yang's Saga
    1986 - General Father, General Son
    1986 - The Sword
    1990 - Witness of Time

more info and pics:

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=577
    Last edited by sfccrx; 07-08-07 at 08:53 PM.

I am not sure if all of that information about her is accurate. I heard that she had a son not a daughter, but I can be wrong. Also, I don't think Stephen Tung and Austin Wai are her real brothers, unless you are talking about on screen brothers...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I just watched LOCH 1983 on Astro, Yeung Hong's death scene. It's my 3rd time watching the series and I still cried when YH died! I think Yeung Pan Pan did a great job as MNC and suited Michael well, with her height and expressive eyes.

Who did Yeung Pan Pan marry in real life, does anyone know?

I feel there's always this rose-tinted view of the pioneers/classics of LOCH adaptations and the cast. I agree LOCH82 had excellent main and supporting cast, but I wasn't taken with Sharon Yeung's MNC - the acting was OK, the make-up + hairstyle was too over-the-top for a girl known for her simplicity and innocence (the very attributes which attracted YK). Her heavy make-up looked more appropriate for a nightclub! I was much more into GJ-HR chemistry than YK-MNC in LoCH82.

Somehow I was fine with Barbara Yung's Huang Rong (make-up), but I thought Sharon Yeung's MNC overly made-up face didn't make her look fresh-faced which I've always envisioned MNC to be.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 02-23-11 at 05:16 AM.

@xiaolong - I guess we all have our different favourite characters and actors

By the way, you know in the scene where YH died, when MLC was kneeling beside his body? She took out a long red hair pin from her hair then she just let it drop to the floor as Kwok Jing came back from digging the grave. What was that supposed to mean? I can't read Chinese so don't have the privilege of reading the classic novel.

Wow...I have to re-watch LOCH82 again to notice such minute signals - my feel is that the hairpin was from her bridal attire. But I agree that Yeung Hong's death scene was really well done.

Hi xiaolong, that's an interesting observation you gave about the hairpin being from her bridal attire. Have to watch their marriage scene again. She wasn't going to commit suicide was she, and then changed her mind?

I've been doing a lot of reading up on Yeung Pan Pan and am surprised that there is very little about her on the net! So sad....I really liked her.

I just finished watching the Yang Saga and saw that one on one scene Sharon had with Michael towards the end. Yes it brought back memories of their pairing up in LOCH 1983. But Michaels' character in Yang Saga was not a very good one (abandoning his wife and family). Michael tended to do those roles - semi good semi bad, with the audience not quite sure which he was at any one time!

I recently watched TVB's 1981 version of Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils (Tian Long Ba Bu in Mandarin; Tin Lung Bat Bou in Cantonese) and I thought Yeung Pan Pan looked very attractive in there - I shipped Kent Tong's Duan Yu with Yeung Pan Pan's Mu Wan Qing much more than Idy Chan's Wang Yu Yan. Her look as Mu Wan Qing was more sophisticated and in tune with the character - Mu Wan Qing is a "don't mess with me" character and a cool wulin fighter, so suits the heavy 1980s make-up more and of course the black outfit made her look ultra sultry. Plus her knowledge of real martial arts brought that added cool factor to the fight scenes.

Among all the LOCH versions, I think YK-MNC's relationship in LOCH1982 was the most well-written. But there's one scene which I didn't really like - the blood transfusion through the palms. That required too much of a suspension of belief.

Here's an interview I found:
    http://www.screen-power.com/yeung-pa...erviewed/1275/

Well, I guess I was spoilt by reading the actual LOCH novel, as MNC came across as very soft and delicate in the novel, whereas Yeung Pan Pan looks like the sort who cannot be messed with...so she as Mu Wan Qing in Tian Long Ba Bu 1981 is GOLD!
    Last edited by xiaolong; 03-30-11 at 08:48 AM.

I would refrain from comparing Sharon's Mu Nianci with other actresses' performance.

Fact is, LOCH1982 remains the Gold Standard for all LOCH adaptations, and has its very special place in history as the classic TV series which brought Jin Yong's mass appeal and popularity to its greatest heights and known among the English-educated. Man, I think it was singularly responsible for mass popularizing the whole wuxia genre.

To me, Sharon Yeung's Mu Nianci is the Classic. Sure, the younger audiences will love Shui Ling and Cecilia Liu who have their own charm and beauty that is relevant to what the younger generation think is beautiful, but I don't think we can compare any other Mu Nianci performances with Sharon's Gold Standard. It's the way it is with Sean Connery's James Bond - his was the Gold Standard, others (Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig) have their individual charm but I won't say "not as good" as Sean Connery, just different adaptations tailormade for the generation that is watching them. Only Sean Connery remains as the Classic that made James Bond the phenomenon that it is today.

I believe Sharon retired quite early from TVB in the late 1980s, that's why you don't hear much news about her.

I like the way you describe Sharon's portrayal of Muk Lim Chi as the Gold Standard. I definitely agree! Iam among the English educated who was introduced to wuxia series through LOCH 1982. This series has a special place in my heart.

I am just sad that Sharon didn't get many more leading roles in her day, and didn't get paired again with Michael Miu. Sigh.....I thought they were lovely together. One of my favourite scenes was when Yeung Hong returned to the house where Lim Chi saved him. Did Yeung Hong only truly start to love Lim Chi after he realized the extent of her love for him?

Xiaolong, did you get to figure out why Muk Lim Chi took out the hairpin when Yeung Hong died?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://123nonstop.com/pictures-Yang_Pan_Pan,_Sharon')

@xiaolong - I can't seem to open the link you provided about Sharon's interview. Sigh...so disappointed.

By the way, would love to hear your views on the topic LOCH 1983 - When did Yeung Hong fall in love with Muk Lim Chi (another thread on this forum). Since you had the privelege of reading the novel, perhaps you could give me your insight.