Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do China series ever do modern series?

for your information, more than 65% of mainland series that are shown on mainland TV are modern series. It's just that people on this forum only care about their ancient series.

The reason that mainland modern series aren't that popular is because they are very culturalized. If you didn't grow up in mainland, you won't get a lot of the jokes mentioned in the modern series, and you won't understand some of the situations.

The same thing with some Taiwanese series. The only Taiwanese modern series that are popular in this forum are the idol series. However there are a whole other genre of Taiwanese modern series that focuses on everyday life in Taiwan and specifically Taiwanese culture. However, most of people outside of Taiwan haven't seen those series.
    Currently watching: Prison Break

Quote Originally Posted by cheeky View Post
    The reason that mainland modern series aren't that popular is because they are very culturalized. If you didn't grow up in mainland, you won't get a lot of the jokes mentioned in the modern series, and you won't understand some of the situations.
    I didn't grow up in HK, Korea or Taiwan (only for certain serials) as well but i enjoy their style of humour much more than the ones i see in mainland serials.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Ancient wuxia series are a lot more entertaining than modern series.

Yeap, that's right!

The New Bi Xue Jian Rocks!

Webshots - Free Beautiful Photos

I tihnk it's true that you have to understand the Mainland culture a bit more to get the jokes. But when you do, they're of a much higher quality than the slapstick crap that HK and Taiwan does for their variety shows. I've hated HK movies for years and years because of their lame comedy, and only started to appreciate it more recently because of the other genres of works.

Actually, I think Korean movies and even the rare drama are good at humor, much better than HK.

They make a LOT...

They're not really featured on spcnet because of the general population here. Statistically speaking, i think spcnet features youngish people, who are probably more interested in idol drama or wuxia or costumes...

So don't judge a series/genre's popularity by its popularity on spcnet, because we're not a representative sample. lol... statistics...
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

hehe,Are there any Chinese in this topic?

Yes, In China,there are much more Modern series than ancient ones, and Frankly speaking , the average lever of modern series are better than ancient ones. But to enjoy the flavor of these sometimes you must have a china background , I think.

Ok , any one like Old Beijing Style? I recommand two series

<五月槐花香> wu yue huai hua xiang , starred by Zhang guo li,Zhang tie lin

<尘世笑谈> chen shi xiao tan ,starred by Hebing

These are all very good series, not too modern , and not too ancient,either

we do have a lot of modern series...

however, most of them are pretty... boring, to foreign viewers.

like the cast of WU LIN WAI ZHUAN, they did a lot of modern series. (Actually, i doubt WLWZ is the only ancient series those people did...)

the same (or almost same cast) did modern series like stories in the cooking division (do not really know how to translate this into english...). it's a comedy series that tells stories about a group of people responsible for cooking (u know to feed the soldiers...) in PLA. the stories are really hilarious.

also, the same cast did health express (jian kang kuai che). another comedy series in a community clinic, modern series. there are some tips for how to keep fit in the series. it's not as funny to me as the stories in the cooking...

the same cast (almost the exact same cast) did drama too, like fang qian wu hou. the series tell stories of a family from seventies maybe to the modern day... approx 30 years... it's a good one, though most foreign viewers may be bored to death by it...

So, there are a lot of modern series, in fact, i think a lot more than ancient ones...

diang....

statistics... just finished it, still dread the name..

en, there are some pretty good modern series I suppose, and ZHONG AN LIU ZU 重案六组 is one of them. no idea if anybody reads chinese here, so i just type in both pinyin and chinese characters.

it's basically csi w/o sci-fi technology, and much funnier i think. the cases are diverse, and the writing is great! well, one of the actors said, if a playwright can do zhong an liu zu, then he/she can do any tv series.

BTW, in CSI, u can get DNA fingerprinting in several hours? that's rediculously impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by LiYuanZhi View Post
    They make a LOT...

They're not really featured on spcnet because of the general population here. Statistically speaking, i think spcnet features youngish people, who are probably more interested in idol drama or wuxia or costumes...

So don't judge a series/genre's popularity by its popularity on spcnet, because we're not a representative sample. lol... statistics...

China modern series are pretty boring..........

They're for old folks.................

Quote Originally Posted by babybunny View Post
    China modern series are pretty boring..........

They're for old folks.................
    Would you say the same about "Xin Shanghai Tan" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Qin_Shu_Bao View Post
    Would you say the same about "Xin Shanghai Tan" ?
    That's not really a modern series.

A watchable modern serie that I saw is Phoenix from the Ashes. It wasn't that boring.

Actually, it's not just the modern series.

The really boring China series are the non martial arts ones. The drama ones that have mostly middle to old-aged actors and they just talk and talk and talk.

The old ladies cry "Aiyo" and keep crying and crying. And they speak with a strong China accent and no one really knows what they're saying unless you live in the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    I dont know but i dont find the comedy genre in mainland movies all that entertaining and hilarious, they're great at serious and tragic and what not types of genres but humour is not really their niche. HK serials/movies, and even certain Korean ones still produce funnier comedies imo. So far, no matter how much they try to imitate, I still cannot experience the type of slapstick comedy so successfully portrayed by many HK artists in mainland serials. I guess its just the different styles of acting.
    You must have never heard of Feng Xiao Gang and Wang Shuo and YingDa

Can you understand Chinese or only subtitles. If you can understand Chinese , I will recommand Wo Ai Wo Jia . It is a sit-com, and very popular in China, every chinese will be willing to talk on this show.

Feng xiao gao 's movies are also of Chinese style humor.
    Last edited by david_xyz; 11-13-07 at 02:31 PM.

They don't do a lot of them

Quote Originally Posted by cheng_86 View Post
    diang....

statistics... just finished it, still dread the name..

en, there are some pretty good modern series I suppose, and ZHONG AN LIU ZU 重案六组 is one of them. no idea if anybody reads chinese here, so i just type in both pinyin and chinese characters.

it's basically csi w/o sci-fi technology, and much funnier i think. the cases are diverse, and the writing is great! well, one of the actors said, if a playwright can do zhong an liu zu, then he/she can do any tv series.

BTW, in CSI, u can get DNA fingerprinting in several hours? that's rediculously impossible...
    I've seen it! it's really good, definitely worth watching, though I preferred the first to the second. There were some really good mysteries on it.

Most mainland modern shows have a target audience for middle-aged to old people, so it's natural that some may find it less entertaining than say, a wuxia series. But in all honesty, the acting, character development and depth of plot in these series are often much better. And in response to someone before mentioning it was difficult to understand unless you come from mainland, well, it's probably because it's for viewing by native speakers, and not catered for those overseas who may not be fluent in chinese.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

I really like Zhong An Liu Zu too, but didn't fancy the second one at all and couldn't sit through more than a few episodes. Mainland makes a ton of modern series, but this place isn't an ideal one to talk about them since most of the time you'd just be talking to yourself.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The only ones I can recall right now are An Xiang and the one with Jiang Xin & Chen Long, where Jiang Xin takes on the role of a plastic beauty.

I've watched a couple of modern series recently. I thought it might be nice to listen to some modern dialogue instead of wuxia dialogue, which sometimes tends to sound a bit like Shakespearean dialogue.

One series was 'Our Marriage', the other was 'Eyewitness'. I thought they were both pretty good. Our Marriage was kind of like a soap opera, but not as outrageous and unrealistic as an American soap opera. Eyewitness resembled a Hitchcock thriller. There were a few cultural things I didn't understand, but some of them might have been tv-series things rather than geniune cultural things. I probably won't try watching a comedy series, though. Those do tend to have more cultural humor in my experience.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。