Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best scene ever made in a TVB series(canto only)

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    I just went to rent the tapes to rewatch again a few months ago. What a classic -- the tapes are getting pretty bad though and our VCR is dying. I don't want to waste money on edited/shortened VCD versions. Sigh.
    Get the DVD. The clips I ripped are from the DVD. It's uncut.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

While I wouldn't characterize it as the "best scene ever made by TVB" in light of heavy competition, the death scene of Yeung Hong in LOCH '82 was very well rendered and was quite powerful. TVB really had to improvise this scene because Jin Yong's original description of Yeung Hong's death in the LOCH novel was very different. In the novel, Yeung Hong's death was very quick, very horrifying, and left the reader with the feeling...well, good riddance. That's what happens to evil traitors. TVB went for an entirely different approach: it wanted to make viewers feel sorry for Yeung Hong (and for Muk Lim Chi). Thus, it stretched out Yeung Hong's death and gave it a more sympathetic spin.

And while it's nearly heresy for me to say so (I can just see the LOCH novel fans jumping on me for saying this), for once, TVB might have actually outdone Mr. Jin Yong as far as giving this moment the right amount of emotional poignancy.

Of course, Jin Yong probably never intended for Yeung Hong to be such a sympathetic character. Fair enough. Yeung Hong is his character, so Jin Yong's depiction of the character must be regarded as definitive. Setting that aside, however, TVB and Miu Kiu Wai really did a fine job of giving this character a more sympathetic interpretation, even while maintaining his evil essence.

Ending scene from Blood of Good and Evil

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SghOivCjfeU

Another scene I can't find in youtube. It's the scene where Kenneth Tsang's character commited suicide, and Deric's character ran towards him.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Ending scene from Blood of Good and Evil

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SghOivCjfeU

Another scene I can't find in youtube. It's the scene where Kenneth Tsang's character commited suicide, and Deric's character ran towards him.
    One of my favorite scene of all time

I don't recall seeing a scene where Chai Kiu Jeng(Kenneth Tsang) actually commited suicide or it's the scene where he held the gun on the side of his head and about to shoot and then Hou Nam(Deric) tried to ran towards him, all of a sudden you hear a gun shot as they switched scenes? So I actually never seen him dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Versace View Post
    One of my favorite scene of all time

I don't recall seeing a scene where Chai Kiu Jeng(Kenneth Tsang) actually commited suicide or it's the scene where he held the gun on the side of his head and about to shoot and then Hou Nam(Deric) tried to ran towards him, all of a sudden you hear a gun shot as they switched scenes? So I actually never seen him dead?
    Yeah. It's that scene. I assume he died.

I agree Ken, the sympathy direction they went for Yeung Hong's death worked well because his character was always stuck between good and evil. There's good in him, but his evilness took over.

Check out this scene. It still sends chills down my spine. The electricity can be felt just because of these 2 "high hands". The music was excellent:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pVcfx77HPbw
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I agree Ken, the sympathy direction they went for Yeung Hong's death worked well because his character was always stuck between good and evil. There's good in him, but his evilness took over.

Check out this scene. It still sends chills down my spine. The electricity can be felt just because of these 2 "high hands". The music was excellent:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pVcfx77HPbw
    Whao! Is that Patrick Tse? He looks so young. Who is the other guy? He looks familiar.

Yeah, TVB doesn't make BGM like that anymore.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Whao! Is that Patrick Tse? He looks so young. Who is the other guy? He looks familiar.

You mean the guy Patrick shake hands with? His name is Yang Qun (楊群). He's a veteran actor who has acted in a lot of movies and series. Have also directed and produced a few movies.

Two more good scenes from Blood of Good and Evil.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D7-Nu-OR1nk
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=YzNzvWqPoks

WOW........ The god of gambler scene is great!!!!

easily one of the best!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post

Yeah ever since Joseph Koo stopped composing for TVB, the music was not nearly as good.

Looks like ur a Noel Leung fan. She's a cutie. Totally fits in the criteria of the type of girls i like.

The ending scene for WAB. So sad...T_T

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=uo1BXTxFb...elated&search=

How come TVB dont' make those kind of scenes anymore?

QF

You know what I think it is? I think it's the increasingly short attention span of audiences and the adjustment of entertainment production companies to accommodate that. To establish a great dramatic scene requires a willingness by both the playwright/screenwriter and the audience to invest time into the development of a scene. There might be a need for several quiet moments where not much happens just to establish the atmosphere of the scene. Unfortunately, in today's high speed world, people have no patience for this. Things just have to keep moving at high speed ALL THE TIME. Hence, the time necessary for good drama to play itself out just isn't used.

This person uploaded a bunch of scenes from XAJH 1996:
    http://youtube.com/user/cavydog

It's in Cantonese.

I really like this scene between Ren Ying Ying and LHC: http://youtube.com/watch?v=20Q-Wr_bri4
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-15-07 at 03:43 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

BUMP...

This is a good scene from 'At the Threshold of an Era'. 7minutes of Gallen Lo and Sunny Chan fighting.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_IgxvPgEFo

I don't have the clips with me (or am too lazy to edit the VCDs at this hour) but here are a few memorable TVB scenes for me.

In "The Final Verdict", the ending scene where, after the prosecution led by Wu Fung had already given up in tears, Kwan Hoi San closes his defence and recommends that his client be pronounced guilty, looks at Wu Fung and says "I never lied to you!!"

The fight between Adam Cheng's Ye Gucheng and Wong Yuen Sun's Ximen Chuixue in "Luk Siu Fung". Both of them really roughed themselves up.

In "Sentimental Swordsman", when Shangguan Jinhong throws a coin on the ground for Ah Fei to pick up, and Li Xunhuan throws his dagger at the coin, walks in slowly, lifts Ah Fei up, pours him a glass of wine then turns to face Shangguan after Ah Fei runs away in shame. Nothing great about what happened, but Paul Chu, Cheung Chong and Wong Yuen Sun carried that scene so well, and the Joseph Khoo soundtrack pounding in the background was just awesome.

This is rather recent, and plays on rather cheap laughs, but I found the opening scene with Marco Ngai and Adam Cheng in "The Prince's Shadow", where they talk about the extra cost in building "carts to ferry cannons" was a classic, and made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

"Cold Blood, Warm Heart", when during Poon Chi Man's funeral, the unlikely trio of Maggie Cheung, Adam Cheng and Kwan Hoi San (Poon's daughter, brother and father, all of whom have relationship problems with him and each other) find themselves weeping alone with the body at the back of the parlour, and everything is forgiven.

The opening culinary duel between Bobby Au Yeung and Paul Chin Pei in "Recipe for the Heart".

Ada Choi running on air in the "White-Haired Maiden" with explosions under her feet with every step - she looked totally majestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I don't have the clips with me (or am too lazy to edit the VCDs at this hour) but here are a few memorable TVB scenes for me.

In "The Final Verdict", the ending scene where, after the prosecution led by Wu Fung had already given up in tears, Kwan Hoi San closes his defence and recommends that his client be pronounced guilty, looks at Wu Fung and says "I never lied to you!!"

The fight between Adam Cheng's Ye Gucheng and Wong Yuen Sun's Ximen Chuixue in "Luk Siu Fung". Both of them really roughed themselves up.

In "Sentimental Swordsman", when Shangguan Jinhong throws a coin on the ground for Ah Fei to pick up, and Li Xunhuan throws his dagger at the coin, walks in slowly, lifts Ah Fei up, pours him a glass of wine then turns to face Shangguan after Ah Fei runs away in shame. Nothing great about what happened, but Paul Chu, Cheung Chong and Wong Yuen Sun carried that scene so well, and the Joseph Khoo soundtrack pounding in the background was just awesome.

This is rather recent, and plays on rather cheap laughs, but I found the opening scene with Marco Ngai and Adam Cheng in "The Prince's Shadow", where they talk about the extra cost in building "carts to ferry cannons" was a classic, and made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

"Cold Blood, Warm Heart", when during Poon Chi Man's funeral, the unlikely trio of Maggie Cheung, Adam Cheng and Kwan Hoi San (Poon's daughter, brother and father, all of whom have relationship problems with him and each other) find themselves weeping alone with the body at the back of the parlour, and everything is forgiven.

The opening culinary duel between Bobby Au Yeung and Paul Chin Pei in "Recipe for the Heart".

Ada Choi running on air in the "White-Haired Maiden" with explosions under her feet with every step - she looked totally majestic.
    The Final Verdict one was great. If i had all of these on DVD, I would rip them. VCD are a pain in the butt to edit.

Man, I wish we had more clips from shell game!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Man, I wish we had more clips from shell game!!!!
    There are a few available on Youtube.