Thread: Format Computer Problems!

Default Format Computer Problems!

My computer crashed like 3 wks ago and recently i just formatted my computer. The thing is im a newb at doing this type of stuff so i have absolutely no ideasof wot im doing.

Now the problem is:
    1) Ive lost MS Office and i dun think i have the cd-rom for it. Now can i d/l it? Or can i just borrow it from some1 else? Weird thing is, i can open up MS Word or PP except a msg pops up saying sth and then closes the program.

2) I cant hear any sound from my speakers? What exactly do i need to do?

3) When i open up internet explorer, its lags so much like when i scroll down a page it uses up 100% CPU Usage.

4) My product key to activate windows seems to be over-used and somehow windows says i need to find a new one. Now where do i get one?

Yeh thats all the issues that i can think of for now.
    Thanks ^_^
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mini T-Mac View Post
    My computer crashed like 3 wks ago and recently i just formatted my computer.
    when you say format, did you just reinstall windows over the old instance - or did you actually format the hard drive and wipe out all the data? from the questions below, it sounds like you just reinstalled Windows over the old instance and you still have programs from the last instance still on the computer (eg MS Office files are still present, but not registered in the Windows registry).

1) Ive lost MS Office and i dun think i have the cd-rom for it. Now can i d/l it? Or can i just borrow it from some1 else?
    you can do whatever it takes to install the program - just don't let Microsoft know about your 'free copy'

2) I cant hear any sound from my speakers? What exactly do i need to do?
    you need to install the sound driver for your sound chip or sound card....and make sure the speakers are connected properly to the sound card.

3) When i open up internet explorer, its lags so much like when i scroll down a page it uses up 100% CPU Usage.
    when you reinstalled Windows, did you install the latest driver for your graphics card? what screen resolution are you using? (im assuming the lag is due to video refresh)...

4) My product key to activate windows seems to be over-used and somehow windows says i need to find a new one. Now where do i get one?
    you need to buy another copy of Windows XP (or you can bypass the activation process. of course this is illegal )
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr View Post
    when you say format, did you just reinstall windows over the old instance - or did you actually format the hard drive and wipe out all the data? from the questions below, it sounds like you just reinstalled Windows over the old instance and you still have programs from the last instance still on the computer (eg MS Office files are still present, but not registered in the Windows registry).

OMG your 100% correct.

you can do whatever it takes to install the program - just don't let Microsoft know about your 'free copy'

you need to install the sound driver for your sound chip or sound card....and make sure the speakers are connected properly to the sound card.

HOW do i do that? Ive got no idea.

when you reinstalled Windows, did you install the latest driver for your graphics card? what screen resolution are you using? (im assuming the lag is due to video refresh)...

1024 x 768 pixels - color quality 32bit. And so how do i solve the problem since the lagging is really annoying and make meeh dizzy

you need to buy another copy of Windows XP (or you can bypass the activation process. of course this is illegal )
    thank you
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

HOW do i do that? Ive got no idea.
    i suspect when you reinstalled Windows, Windows setup did not identify your sound device or it did not have the driver for it.

what you need to do is check what kind of sound device you have on your PC and then go to the manufacturer's website and download the sound driver. if your sound device is built into the motherboard, you can check the manufacture info in the BIOS screen. otherwise you can check the device manager for any sound devices detected, but not installed.

- go to START -> RUN and type in c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc (im assuming the default windows directory). the device manager window should load up and from there go to Sound, video and game controllers folder. if any devices are disabled or not properly installed, windows will highlight the device with a red cross. Right click on any of the devices and select Properties will give you the device property details.

1024 x 768 pixels - color quality 32bit. And so how do i solve the problem since the lagging is really annoying and make meeh dizzy
    are all your programs lagging or it's just Internet Explorer?
    I hate troubleshooting internet related problems because there could be a lot of root causes. The most common thing to do after a Windows reinstall is to update the drivers. This includes chipset (motherboard), video, sound, and network card drivers.
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

the "studder" when scrolling is because you don't have video card driver, it happens all the time when you format, you need videocard driver, or u use a really old card (MX400) and window can just pick it up for you. Intergraded graphic will NEED driver, window XP only has some oldies, if you have vista, it might pick up the newer stuff.

No sound = no driver

I don't know why you still can open MS word docs, if the extention is .doc and you can open it without MS word, then u didn't format the computer, if everything is wiped there's no way to open that without the softare. you can open word related documents, but i don't think you can open .doc.

Ofcouse not to advocate pirating, but almost all MS product is free somewhere on the net (illigally)