Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The New Adventure of Chor Lau Heung 《楚留香之蝙蝠傳奇》 (1984)

Hi Tape, thanks a lot for your encouragement and sorry for the late reply (as you can see, not many comments here so I don't visit often). I also remembered that there was a scene where Zo Ming Lai tried to commit suicide (she stepped onto a chair towards the rope), but it was cut out. I've purchased the "uncut" version from an Indonesian DVD seller, and they did have some cut scenes. I will try to write a post on the edited scenes later.

I am also trying to capture some scenes that are memorable to me. I did the screen shots of the garden scene (post-hairpin) in Ep 40 last night, and they are here:

http://becomingicha.blogspot.com.au/...irpin-and.html

It's okay that fanfics are not your cup of tea.... ^_^ I just used to write fan-fictions for another genre, and apparently that interest hasn't abandoned me yet. A friend from another forum also asked for a fic from the first meeting of CLH and SSC, and I've written a short one for that:
    http://becomingicha.blogspot.com.au/...-1984-fan.html

I also just found a seller in Indonesia selling the Foundation (!!!). I have asked him whether it is English subbed or not (or at least Indonesian sub). If yes, I will buy it and, after buckets of tears, might be able to produce some episode summaries later and post it at the Foundation thread. Won't be soon tho, cos I'm traveling for field work tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    The closing theme I never thought to try to find, but thanks for the link it's great.

Edit: I'm really surprised they even bothered to cut anything at all. VCD releases from the early 2000's made sense since it saved a lot of physical space in discs, but cutting a few seconds from a few episodes doesn't seem to accomplish anything for DVD releases. As horrible as the Grand Canal was for example in cutting, they probably saved 20-30% in costs from cutting so much. I don't know why you would cut like 1% of the content.
    I also don't get why they had to cut it. It didn't really make much of a difference, now I've seen many of the uncut episodes...

I squeezed a little time (like an hour) last nite to make a post on CLH 1984 costumes, focusing on Chor Lau Heung's and Song Siu Ching's lovely wardrobe. Mostly pix with some commentaries. Hope you like browsing it like I do. Will add more screen shots in the near future.

http://becomingicha.blogspot.co.id/2...f-clh-ssc.html

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    I squeezed a little time (like an hour) last nite to make a post on CLH 1984 costumes, focusing on Chor Lau Heung's and Song Siu Ching's lovely wardrobe. Mostly pix with some commentaries. Hope you like browsing it like I do. Will add more screen shots in the near future.

Gosh I haven't watch this series in a long time. The costumes are very pretty. Thanks for taking the time and creating the page.

Caught two more episodes: 1 and 40. At least the ending is a happy one for CLX. This series is somewhat similar to the Taiwanese one which I watched some time ago. In the Taiwanese series, the Bat-King is blind and CLX married some holy sect leader. The ending is a cliffhanger as CLX leaves his pregnant wife (too bored staying in a "outlying" place) and given two exits (one leading to death and the other to the outside world).

Thanks Nan Ling and wkeej. Wkeej, I never watched the Taiwanese ver but I don't think I will, cos I was just re-watching the 1984 CLX/CLH because of Michael Miu and Barbara Yung. Well, when I was a kid, I watched it cos my cousin watched it. But now I watch it for Michael and Barbara...

But thanks a lot for giving the info on the Taiwanese ver! Always good to know.

Wkeej, I wrote the episode guides of CLH 1984 in my blog here:

http://becomingicha.blogspot.com/sea...CLH%20episodes

Just in case you wanna know the story without watching the whole lot...

Wkeej, I wrote the episode guides of CLH 1984 in my blog here:

http://becomingicha.blogspot.com/sea...CLH%20episodes

Just in case you wanna know the story without watching the whole lot...
    Thank you. I have started watching the episodes. Last night, 2-3. So far so good.

Finished the first story. Two questions:
    1. Who come out with the "soul exchange" idea? In the Taiwanese series, it was clearer. It was the medical doctor from Beijing.
    2. So what happened to the old lady servant Hing? I believe she is "saved".

1. Who come out with the "soul exchange" idea? In the Taiwanese series, it was clearer. It was the medical doctor from Beijing.
    3. Who ordered Yee (the assassin) to kill the leader of Wudang? Sit - the No 1 swordsman who is the leader of "Blood Palm"?
    4. Why is there no killer sent to kill Chu Liu Xiang since money has been paid for his own death?
    Last edited by wkeej; 11-07-15 at 11:12 AM.

Thank you so much for gathering all the photos! They all look amazing. =)

The purple costume in 8th photo down looks familiar. I remember seeing it in a Jin Yong series, I think. Forgot which one.

You're welcome, Sarafina! If you could remember the purple costume in the Jin Yong series, that would be a great tidbit to add to the post (I will acknowledge you of course). I understand people recycle costumes in the ancient series, and I think that's okay, for it saves budget and is more sustainable.

Also, I posted a short article on the poems in CLH 1984. Hope you like it.
    http://becomingicha.blogspot.co.id/2...ng-1984_9.html

Wkeej, sorry for the late reply. I will try to answer your questions here:

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    3. Who ordered Yee (the assassin) to kill the leader of Wudang? Sit - the No 1 swordsman who is the leader of "Blood Palm"?
    4. Why is there no killer sent to kill Chu Liu Xiang since money has been paid for his own death?
    1. I'm not sure who first suggested the soul exchange idea, have to rewatch that episode again, but I think it was Dr Cheong (that medical doctor indeed). But Siu Ching bought it almost right away, that funny silly girl...

2. Hing committed suicide, she swallowed poison after her Young Master Sit died :-(

3. The Wudang Leader wasn't killed by Yat Dim Hung. It was a guy from the Bat Clan who killed the Wudang Leader (I think it should be the Bat Prince himself). Sit Yi Yan had nothing to do with the murder of the Wutang Master.

4. A killer was indeed sent to kill CLH/CLX after the money was paid. It was the old lady at the tea stall who wanted to poison Chor's and Wu's tea, but Yat Dim Hung prevented that from happening. The old tea lady then committed suicide, hence Chor, Wu and Yat couldn't trace who was the culprit. But this time, it was indeed Sit Yi Yan who ordered Chor's demise, mainly just because he had been paid to do so (by Chor himself).

Wkeej, sorry for the late reply. I will try to answer your questions here:

1. I'm not sure who first suggested the soul exchange idea, have to rewatch that episode again, but I think it was Dr Cheong (that medical doctor indeed). But Siu Ching bought it almost right away, that funny silly girl...

2. Hing committed suicide, she swallowed poison after her Young Master Sit died :-(

3. The Wudang Leader wasn't killed by Yat Dim Hung. It was a guy from the Bat Clan who killed the Wudang Leader (I think it should be the Bat Prince himself). Sit Yi Yan had nothing to do with the murder of the Wutang Master.

4. A killer was indeed sent to kill CLH/CLX after the money was paid. It was the old lady at the tea stall who wanted to poison Chor's and Wu's tea, but Yat Dim Hung prevented that from happening. The old tea lady then committed suicide, hence Chor, Wu and Yat couldn't trace who was the culprit. But this time, it was indeed Sit Yi Yan who ordered Chor's demise, mainly just because he had been paid to do so (by Chor himself).
    Thank you for answering my questions. With regard to Hing, didn't Master Sit ask the make servant to go and fetch some antidote?

No prob, glad to help!

Sit Yi Yan did ask the servant to do that, but Hing already swallowed too much and she died. Or at least, that's what I assumed, cos I remembered she fell on the ground afterwards or something like that. In the later episode (7?), you'll meet Sit Yi Yan again in his household, but we had only the butler, and not Hing there.

No prob, glad to help!

Sit Yi Yan did ask the servant to do that, but Hing already swallowed too much and she died. Or at least, that's what I assumed, cos I remembered she fell on the ground afterwards or something like that. In the later episode (7?), you'll meet Sit Yi Yan again in his household, but we had only the butler, and not Hing there.
    Ok, thanks once again.

Anytime, fire away. I'd love to answer your CLX/CLH questions if I can. I also learn a lot.

And finally! Although this is not the Foundation 1984 thread, thought I'll post here as well. I forced myself to face the pain and watched the Foundation 1984. I'm up to ep 1-5 now and the recap and some screen shots can be found here:
    http://becomingicha.blogspot.co.id/s...ndation%201984
    http://becomingicha.blogspot.co.id/s...ion%20episodes

I will post the recap of other episodes in the coming days. Have to take it slowly cos it's a painful process, watching this series... I will also post this at the Foundation 1984 thread.

Finished the whole series. On the whole, it is enjoyable. This TVB series is much better than the Taiwanese series. Maybe it is because the former has a central plot while the latter has many sub-plots.

Glad you like it, wkeej! Do you have the link to the Taiwanese series you watched before this? I agree that CLH 1984 has a neat plot that the 40 episodes are very interesting (instead of boring and ho-hum) for me.

By the way, I added some more screen shots for the garden scene after SC said that if CLH could leave his bad habits (stealing?) and work hard for the court, he'd get a good position soon at the Court. I screen capped some scenes that showed he was disappointed with what she said (cos she used to promise him, twice, that she'd leave her rank and palace life for him). And also after she asked if he could just once do something for her, he was disappointed too, and I captured them too.

http://becomingicha.blogspot.co.id/2...irpin-and.html

I also added the screen caps of the last boat scene (CLH ep 40):

http://becomingicha.blogspot.co.id/2...inal-boat.html

enjoy!!