Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The New Adventure of Chor Lau Heung 《楚留香之蝙蝠傳奇》 (1984)

I added more titles to my to-watch list! I've seen some of them already but I'm most intrigued with War of the Dragon which I haven't heard of. For RoCH, I don't know if ending up with Guo Fu is a happy ending or a miserable ending. But considering it's Simon Yam and that the character stayed alive and good to the end, I'll take that a happy ending.

Found this clip on youtube but wish there was more to it. The comments on youtube for the video are pretty funny. Chu Liu Xiang one upped Yang Guo in the end, hehe. Poor Andy, losing his balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Simon also played the lead role in Born to be a King, where he was the founding Ming Emperor Zhu Yuanzhang. As Zhu wasn't really a particularly nice person Simon could be seen in a less than flattering light, but it was a really good performance. His role as the King of Vampires in ATV's My Date with a Vampire II was also a great anti-hero role - where he spends most of his screentime trying to save the heroes, only for it all to go wrong and he turns antagonist at the end. On a lighter role, he played twin brothers in a serial "Ma Bou Tai Zhi" (no idea what the English name is), opposite Cally Kwong, Maggie Siu and Margie Tsang (who was his sister or cousin). That was a really nice serial - had a serious main plot but the characters were just delightful and comedic.
    His character in My Date With a Vampire is probably one of my favorite characters he's played. He really stole the show whenever he was in a scene. The character they wrote for him was probably the best and most complex in the whole series to be fair, but he pulled it off great too.

I'm glad he transitioned more into movies rather than staying a series actor. It allows him to show his talent more, and I really think he is one the finest HK actors even if he doesn't make the biggest bucks.
    Last edited by tape; 09-07-15 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafina View Post
    Found this clip on youtube but wish there was more to it. The comments on youtube for the video are pretty funny. Chu Liu Xiang one upped Yang Guo in the end, hehe. Poor Andy, losing his balance.

OMG this is cool!! So they really knew how to use the swords! And do the splits too!

Anyway, reviving the old thread... I just binged on Chor Lau Heung 1984 for four days... ignoring my tasks... and I felt like being transported back to my 11 years old self (shows how mature I am now... ^_^).

But seriously, I LOVE this series so much! Thanks to this thread, I can talk about it too!

thanks all!

Does anyone remember when CLH got this ornament from? The first scene on this YT video below. It belonged to Siu Ching, I think, instead of from Wah Jan Jan (spelling?), but I can't remember when he got/stole it from her. Damn the cut version...

Found this opening theme of CLH 1984 on YouTube:

Also, I watched the 40 episodes from Dramanice here:
    http://www.dramanice.tv/drama/the-ne...u-heung-detail

God I hope they retain the site and the episodes. Does anyone know how to download those videos for safekeep?

Hmmm... I think it was Adam Cheng as CLH there instead of Michael Miu...

That's okay, still cool too see!

Anyway. Can anyone translate the Opening Theme of CLH 1984 for me please? I got this from the YouTube poster who posted the Opening Theme above. In Pinyin, and also in Khmer just in case any of you are from Thailand... (the poster, Sompong Bright, is a Thai).

Thanks in advance!

随 缘 披 发 独 行 未 尝 镜 染 尘
    ไฉ่ยีนเพ้ยฝาดตกหั่ง เมยเส่องเก้งหยีมฉ่ำ
    淡 然看 世 事 似 浮 云 随 风 去 无 痕
    ตากหยี่นห่อยไซ่ซีฉี่เฝ่าหวั่น โฉ่ยป้งโฮยโหม่วฮัน
    何 妨 花 气 袭 人 愿 凭 天 指 引
    ห่อฟองฟ้าเฮยจาบหยั่น ยวูนหั่งกี๊นจี๋หยัน
    任 由 过 去 事 再 莫 寻 留 情 意 不 惹 恨
    ยำเหย่ากว้อโห๊ยซีจอยหมอกฉ่ำ เหล่าเฉ่งยีปั๊ดเหย๋ฮัน
    对 酒 狂 歌 一 剑 独 往 何 愁 露 寒 侵 鬓
    โตยเจ๋าถ่องปอ ยัดยีวตกหลอง ห่อเซาโล่วห่อนช่ำปัน
    人 生 百 感 轻 舟 掠 过 万 里 白 雪 洗 我 心
    หยั่นซั้งปากก๋ำ เห้งเจาเหลองกวอ หม่านเน๋ปากซูดไซ้ง้อซำ
    啊 ...... 啊 ...... 啊 ...踏 河 山 轻 带 笑 我 独 行
    ฮา........ปากห่อซ้านเห่งตายซีวหงอตกหั่ง
    如 逝 水 若 行 云
    ยวูนไซโสยเหยกผั่งหวั่ง

eh, silly me. I found the download button at Dramanice. yay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    Does anyone remember when CLH got this ornament from? The first scene on this YT video below. It belonged to Siu Ching, I think, instead of from Wah Jan Jan (spelling?), but I can't remember when he got/stole it from her. Damn the cut version...

Found this opening theme of CLH 1984 on YouTube:

Also, I watched the 40 episodes from Dramanice here:
    http://www.dramanice.tv/drama/the-ne...u-heung-detail

God I hope they retain the site and the episodes. Does anyone know how to download those videos for safekeep?
    Haha, I binged on it a couple weeks ago on a bored weekend so I remember ! It was near the middle when his drunkard buddy suggested to both the princess and the girl who liked him from the Huashan sect to make a memento/keepsake for him so that he would remember them all the time. They both wound up making one for him, but I'd guess that's the princess's.

OMG this is cool!! So they really knew how to use the swords! And do the splits too!

Anyway, reviving the old thread... I just binged on Chor Lau Heung 1984 for four days... ignoring my tasks... and I felt like being transported back to my 11 years old self (shows how mature I am now... ^_^).

But seriously, I LOVE this series so much! Thanks to this thread, I can talk about it too!

thanks all!

Oh! Adam and Andy are known for their agility in action scenes despite not being action stars or having a martial arts background. Before CGI took over, most stars back then did part of their own stunts and learnt on the set how to look like a martial arts expert convincingly.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Oh! Adam and Andy are known for their agility in action scenes despite not being action stars or having a martial arts background. Before CGI took over, most stars back then did part of their own stunts and learnt on the set how to look like a martial arts expert convincingly.
    Also a lot of these actors spent years training in the TVB academies refining their action and acting skills. These days if you look pretty the stick you in front of a camera and call you a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Also a lot of these actors spent years training in the TVB academies refining their action and acting skills. These days if you look pretty the stick you in front of a camera and call you a star.
    Charbydis and Mandred, you two are right. I am on the second round watching CLH 84 now and I have been so impressed with the action scenes!! Clean, without CGIs, and they actually did many (if not most) of the scenes themselves! I remember an article I read recently about Michael Miu saying that they actually indeed did those back flips themselves back then. Amazing. I don't know many actors who still do that these days (Nicky Wu is easily one of them IMO). But yeah, that's why the 80s series are gold collections, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Haha, I binged on it a couple weeks ago on a bored weekend so I remember ! It was near the middle when his drunkard buddy suggested to both the princess and the girl who liked him from the Huashan sect to make a memento/keepsake for him so that he would remember them all the time. They both wound up making one for him, but I'd guess that's the princess's.
    Thank you, Tape! Thank you! I do remember the scene where the Hua Shan girl (Miss Wah) made one and gave it to Chor, but I didn't recall Siu Ching making it at all. Did you watch the full unabridged version? Cos the Dramanice ver is the 40, cut version. And this time they cut an essential scene! Bugger...

Can I get the link from which you watched the series please? It might be different from what I have been watching so far.

First time hearing Barbara Yung sing. Her take on the theme song.

The playlist I got the vid from.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...h8vV7ReNGlhZKo

Fourth vid on the playlist is her take on the LoCH 81 theme which I think I like better than her CLX take.

Do actors/actresses from the 80s all get training in all aspects of entertainment? Acting, singing, doing some of their own stunts... it's really impressive how jack of all trades they are.

I noticed that quite a few of the current stars came from the Beijing Film Academy's Performance Institute. Ex. Liu Yifei, Yang Mi, Zheng Shuang, Zhao Wei, Huang Xiaoming. Do you guys think the Beijing Film Academy lives up to its reputation of producing high quality performers? Or are the 80s stars still better without the higher education?

Eh... tho I love Barbara so much, I think she was a much better actress than a singer... I agree that her LoCH take was better than her CLH take tho; was it the recording's or the file's mistake? I heard a few seconds delay between the singing and the music. I can't help thinking this would be her Siu Ching character trying to sing for Chor Lau Heung, and Chor was like, "Please darling, I love you but can we play chess instead?" ^_^ (okay, head canon alert...)

Found this video of her wearing a swim suit in a show, like a Miss HK or Miss whatever show. She was cute in the swim suit...

Michael was right... Barbara was a vibrant character back then in the early 80s...

Btw, has anyone read this site? I was surprised and touched by its content...

http://www.barbarayung.nl/

Back to Chor Lau Heung... I have 1-2 head canon for fanfics... and I need to know the time setting of this Gu Long series. Can anyone help me?

I know the TVB ver has non canon characters including the Princess and her lot, and I have no prob with that. But when Gu Long wrote the series, what time frame was in his mind? The Ming Dynasty? Song Dynasty? Somehow my take was on the Song...

Thank you, Tape! Thank you! I do remember the scene where the Hua Shan girl (Miss Wah) made one and gave it to Chor, but I didn't recall Siu Ching making it at all. Did you watch the full unabridged version? Cos the Dramanice ver is the 40, cut version. And this time they cut an essential scene! Bugger...

Can I get the link from which you watched the series please? It might be different from what I have been watching so far.
    Actually you're right, she never did make one for him she just mentioned it. In the final scene he looks at the hairpin he just received in remembrance instead of whatever that thing is called, so I'm thinking that scene might just be a made up one that didn't actually exist in the series.

I've watched a few episodes on dramaice, and from what I can tell it's unabridged. There aren't any scenes missing that I can remember. There's just a lot of scenes in the themesong that don't actually exist in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafina View Post
    Do actors/actresses from the 80s all get training in all aspects of entertainment? Acting, singing, doing some of their own stunts... it's really impressive how jack of all trades they are.

I noticed that quite a few of the current stars came from the Beijing Film Academy's Performance Institute. Ex. Liu Yifei, Yang Mi, Zheng Shuang, Zhao Wei, Huang Xiaoming. Do you guys think the Beijing Film Academy lives up to its reputation of producing high quality performers? Or are the 80s stars still better without the higher education?
    I'm not an expert on this, but I sense that the 80s stars, the veterans as we call them nowadays, are still of higher qualities. Of course some modern actors/actresses are really good, but the 80s stars were just so natural in their performances...

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Actually you're right, she never did make one for him she just mentioned it. In the final scene he looks at the hairpin he just received in remembrance instead of whatever that thing is called, so I'm thinking that scene might just be a made up one that didn't actually exist in the series.

I've watched a few episodes on dramaice, and from what I can tell it's unabridged. There aren't any scenes missing that I can remember. There's just a lot of scenes in the themesong that don't actually exist in the series.
    Tape, I actually remembered the scene with the pink memento. It was in one of the episodes indeed. Chor Lau Heung was absent-mindedly looking at the item, then someone knocked on the door and he tucked the item back in his pocket.

It was decades ago when I saw the complete series. The Dramanice is definitely the cut version, judging from some rough editing. But I do think that you were originally correct; Princess might have made the ornament and gave it to Chor, but it was edited out. I will look at the scene again. I can compare it with Wah Jan Jan's memento, which was also pink, but i think it was slightly different.

The hairpin was different; Chor asked for the hairpin in lieu of the Princess because he didn't think they could make the relationship work in the palace.

But yes, some scenes in the theme song didn't occur in the series.

Found this cute bloopers on Chor Lau Heung 1984 with lots of MB in it:
    http://www.barbarayung.nl/internet/2...nd-michael-miu

Can't embed the video, so you need to click the link. Michael and Barbara were so cute!

Found this cute bloopers on Chor Lau Heung 1984 with lots of MB in it:
    http://www.barbarayung.nl/internet/2...nd-michael-miu

Can't embed the video, so you need to click the link. Michael and Barbara were so cute!
    I think they are cute too. I like them in fearless duo also. =)