Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which wuxia character was the best judge of other people's character?

Default Which wuxia character was the best judge of other people's character?

Since we're on the subject of law and judgment...

Which wuxia character would you say was the best judge of character: he/she really understood what made other people tick, and pretty much never misjudged anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Since we're on the subject of law and judgment...

Which wuxia character would you say was the best judge of character: he/she really understood what made other people tick, and pretty much never misjudged anybody?
    Umm, H7G, he claims he never killed anyone not worth killing, so is he a good candidate?

I'd say HR, cause she was suspicious of YG all those times when GJ was blindly thinking that YG wouldn't dare hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I'd say HR, cause she was suspicious of YG all those times when GJ was blindly thinking that YG wouldn't dare hurt him.
    No, Wong Yung, while *generally* a pretty good judge of character, was pretty bad about judging Yeung Gor. She misread him quite often, and even she admitted she didn't have a good grasp of his personality.

No, Wong Yung, while *generally* a pretty good judge of character, was pretty bad about judging Yeung Gor. She misread him quite often, and even she admitted she didn't have a good grasp of his personality.
    No one can know the other person 100%. But she was able to feel that there was something 'wrong' with YG when YG was actually planning to kill GJ. She had that instinct. I'd say that's a pretty good read she had on YG.

Does Xiao Yu Er count? Or is this strictly Jin Yong?

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    No one can know the other person 100%. But she was able to feel that there was something 'wrong' with YG when YG was actually planning to kill GJ. She had that instinct. I'd say that's a pretty good read she had on YG.
    But she was just suspicious of him period, mostly because he was Yang Kang's son. She was suspicious and wary of him even as a kid. Even when he gave up on killing GJ, she was still suspicious of him, so she didn't really judge his character at all. She judged him based on lineage.

Ive never read Duke of Mount Deer, but it seems like WXB judges people pretty well. He had to in order to fool and manipulate everyone around him with little to no education and martial arts. If we count GL, it seems like every other main character is perfect at judging everyone else.

For the most part, RWX was actually a shrewd and excellent judge of character. Even before his imprisonment, he knew and immediately saw YBQ through as a 'wei junzi', but his judgement of Madam Ning was spot on, as was his judgements of the elites of his time, such as DFBB, Chong Xu, Fang Zhen, and Zuo Lengchan.

In fact, the only one he misjudged was Linghu Chong; if he wasn't so hamhanded and overbearing/threatening, he would've managed to get LHC into the Sun Moon Sect, instead of alienating him. But that's part of his old-man temper, I suppose.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Last edited by PJ; 06-21-07 at 02:43 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    SWEEPER MONK, who has been estimated to be able to accurately pinpoint the size of Jiumozhi's right nut by just looking at him.
    I said *character*, PJ, not anatomy.

Ah yes, how could I forget that Jin Yong has already told us about 2 OMNIPOTENT and OMNISCIENT judges in the martial world. They are the Ultimate "Punish Evil, Reward Kindness" messengers -- Lord Long and Lord Mu of Gallant Island, who made sure the justice was served. They actually kept a separate record of each person's crime. So when someone requests the information, they toss you the paper and unless your martial arts are really good, you won't be able to catch it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    For the most part, RWX was actually a shrewd and excellent judge of character. Even before his imprisonment, he knew and immediately saw YBQ through as a 'wei junzi', but his judgement of Madam Ning was spot on, as was his judgements of the elites of his time, such as DFBB, Chong Xu, Fang Zhen, and Zuo Lengchan.

In fact, the only one he misjudged was Linghu Chong; if he wasn't so hamhanded and overbearing/threatening, he would've managed to get LHC into the Sun Moon Sect, instead of alienating him. But that's part of his old-man temper, I suppose.
    Okay, I'm rewatching this series right now and the part where they're all at Shaolin, RWX was saying how he had severly misjudged DFBB. He couldn't believe how badly DFBB betrayed him. Was this only in the series adaptions and not in the novel?

GuGu: which version are you watching? XAJH 01 with LYP and Xu Qing?

On topic, I'd say RWX is pretty good at it, and I'd have to agree that HR is too. Maybe we should list some that are NOT good at it? I'd say Mu nian ci, she let YK trick her SO many times.

~red

EDIT: GJ's mom Li Ping was pretty good at it too....she said she had a feeling that Genghis Khan was going to make GJ attack China.
    Last edited by redfirefly124; 06-21-07 at 11:04 AM.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Ren Woxing already sensed something iffy with Dongfang Bubai 10 years ago. Ren Woxing heard that Sunflower Manuscript was nothing but trouble, so he gave it to Dongfang Bubai in order to damage him, but Dongfang still usurped the power faster than Ren imagined.

That was only because YG's decision to kill GJ was constantly changing.

How about Cheung 3 Fung? All of Cheung Mo Gei's martial uncles from Mo Dong Sect had him pegged as the murderer of their seventh brother, Mok Sing Guk. Cheung 3 Fung, however, refused to believe that Cheung Mo Gei was capable of the cold-blooded murder of his seventh martial uncle, and Cheung 3 Fung called it correctly.

How about Cheung 3 Fung? All of Cheung Mo Gei's martial uncles from Mo Dong Sect had him pegged as the murderer of their seventh brother, Mok Sing Guk. Cheung 3 Fung, however, refused to believe that Cheung Mo Gei was capable of the cold-blooded murder of his seventh martial uncle, and Cheung 3 Fung called it correctly.
    Made up by TVB (and other tv adaptations).

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01 View Post
    With all due respect to Jin Yong, whose characters these are to depict, when ALL or most of the adaptations decide to add the exact same scene in, it strongly suggests something.

Wei Xiao Bao. He knew what kind of people he was dealing with and dealt with them accordingly. He could handle everyone from Tibetan Lamas to the Qing Emperor and Emperess dowager to Rebel groups and even Wu San Gui, you can even throw in a Russian princess

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01 View Post
    Actually, it's not.