Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Adventures of Lu Xiao Feng, Book 2, Embroidery Thief

Originally posted by TigerWong
    If you even watch the beginning of the second LXF series, you'll ruin it this story for yourself because the 2nd LXF series is actually about the 3rd book: Before and After the Duel and starts off with the ending of the Embroidery Thief.
    That's why I wish Moin would finish this book before I could not hold the temptation...

Aside from the story of the Duel, all LXF books are fresh plots to me since I didn't know GL much until I read the translations here.
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

Goofy, a word to the wise; whatever you do, DO NOT watch the opening credits to the 3rd segment (Mou Dong Battle/Phantom Mansion). It TOTALLY spoils the entire story.

Oh, and if you like Damian Lau as LXF, you should check out Thief of Time (1992). He reprises his role as LXF in that, but I dunno how big of a role it is. It's only two VCDs. And it may also have *mumble* as *mumble*, a fairly important character in the Duel Before and After segment. Don't wanna spoil things for you.

Cool

is Thief of time a movie or a series?

Thanks for the advice. I will try my best to hold off watching it.

I think it's a television movie, it's either a very long episode or two episodes. I have it, and it's only two VCDs. It's got lots and lots of cameos by actors/actresses that should be very familiar to you.

Just make sure you have your eyes closed until the theme song ends so that you won't see the spoiler opening credits.

Okay, I just watched Thief of Time. It's absolutely hilarious. Damian Lau appears only briefly, but he does get a (short) fight scene. Here are some pics, only from the LXF segment since that's what this thread is about.

Thief of Time pics
    Last edited by kraal; 08-30-03 at 08:56 PM.
    "And the Bastard grant us, in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness, understanding." -- Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Cool

Kraal, can you pm me the synopsis of Thief of Time?

Cool

thanks Kraal.

Suddenly, I thought of something about Honest Monk.

In book I, he admitted that he had seen Ou Yang Ching, and in Book II, he seemed to know something about Granny Chestnut and her gang. So, I wonder if the monk had any connection with those women at all. I don't think he would have any hand in any crimes but it was doubtful if he was totally innocent of any knowledge of OYC's identity or any other's.

any answer to that?

It was mentioned in this thread before that Honest Monk himself belonged to some kind of organization as well, and not as a bottom ranker, either. He might've known of the Red Shoes from his own network.
    "And the Bastard grant us, in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness, understanding." -- Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Cool

so, in what book this was revealed. Can someone give me more details unless it would be spoiler for the story here?

Also, I just have a thought about LXF. HML was said to be the youngest son of the wealthy family, and XM was prosperous, but how about LXF? He seemed to faunt money right and left and messed with other people's business with no apparent fee.

Somehow, I have impression that he merely carried HML's money pouch for him and from times to times dipped in just to 'help' out his friend...

Originally posted by Goofy
    Also, I just have a thought about LXF. HML was said to be the youngest son of the wealthy family, and XM was prosperous, but how about LXF? He seemed to faunt money right and left and messed with other people's business with no apparent fee.

Somehow, I have impression that he merely carried HML's money pouch for him and from times to times dipped in just to 'help' out his friend...
    You know, I always wondered about that, too. LXF always seems to carry a great deal of money on him, throwing 100 tael notes or more left and right (for bribes, usually). I don't think he's the kind of guy who mooches off his friends, though, not that HML would mind.

You know the other thing that always bothers me? The way people can always find lengths of white cloth to cover corpses. Like, you're in a small village wine shop, and somehow you manage to get this bolt of cloth to cover a corpse. Or you're running for your life in a forest, decide to commit suicide, and your servant (in the middle of a bloody wilderness), manages to cover the corpse with a white cloth. Maybe I'm just morbid.

Cool

But white cloth was probably the most common material villagers had at the time. I don't know about Ming dynasty but before that, cloth had always something of a value aside from the fact that most women probably could weave thus always have some rough materials on hand.

So far, I think LXF was the most money spender ever. Not that he carelessly used money for bribe and stuff, but the amount he used each time seemed extraordinary - so humongous....

How I would love to be his friend...

I want to know more about the fourth book though - the Soul Village since Moin might not translate this one. There seemed to be several different versions in series adaptation and even the 78 one was also not accurate.

Reading from the review, I have many questions but I think I will pm you to avoid spoiler other readers.

Yeah, but if you remember from the Golden Roc segment, HML is in a wineshop where all the people have fled from the poison needles flying all over the place. And it's bloody late. Possibly around 2 am in the morning. And he still manages to find a white cloth somewhere (clean, no less). Everyone's either asleep in this little village or cowering under their beds. HML would have to go door-to-door to get the cloth (or maybe he took it from the wineshop owner's belongings).

Cool

I don't remember that part from the novel. I think the whole shop was on fire in the actual story though.

BTW, what was the Honest Monk's purpose in visiting OYQ in the Golden roc book?

Could someone expand on his organization or his bio a bit?

I don't remember that part from the novel. I think the whole shop was on fire in the actual story though.

BTW, what was the Honest Monk's purpose in visiting OYQ in the Golden roc book?

Could someone expand on his organization or his bio a bit?
    Seeing how he stared at her all night... I'd say he was just horny but didn't dare do anything

Originally posted by Yang Guo
    Seeing how he stared at her all night... I'd say he was just horny but didn't dare do anything
    Thanks for the spoiler.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Cool

In which book it said that?

And from the prologue on the Honest Monk, how did those thieves die anyway? Did the monk kill them?

In which book it said that?

And from the prologue on the Honest Monk, how did those thieves die anyway? Did the monk kill them?
    I think in the first book OuYang Qing told Lu Xiao Feng that Honest Monk just sat on the chair and stared at her the whole night

I think in the first book OuYang Qing told Lu Xiao Feng that Honest Monk just sat on the chair and stared at her the whole night

Fine, just ignore my warnings about spoilers.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Originally posted by Moinllieon

Fine, just ignore my warnings about spoilers.
    er... I thought this was the 2nd book and me talking about first book? x.x

Cool

sorry, Moin if I brought in the spoilers.

I guess I will be quiet till you finish the book 2 (btw, please hurry up. )