Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Secret - Jay Chou

one of the best parts is perhaps the music. The musics are so romantic. Especially in the end, it was so exciting. In that last part, I must also add Jay really knows how to play that piano emotionally with both passion and a sense of urgency.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    how is that Rain is alive when she died already in the parallel past? Jay only recieved those letters because Rain was carving them during the parallel time. After those letters, she died. So... how is she alive? And,is it just me or does it seem like Rain didn't know who Jay was? Jay was like, hello, do you remember me?(through gestures) and Rain was just nodding and smiling.
    Last edited by Whsie; 09-20-07 at 07:28 PM.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie View Post
    one of the best parts is perhaps the music. The musics are so romantic. Especially in the end, it was so exciting. In that last part, I must also add Jay really knows how to play that piano emotionally with both passion and a sense of urgency.
    how is that Rain is alive when she died already in the parallel past? Jay only recieved those letters because Rain was carving them during the parallel time. After those letters, she died. So... how is she alive? And,is it just me or does it seem like Rain didn't know who Jay was? Jay was like, hello, do you remember me?(through gestures) and Rain was just nodding and smiling.
    I think Rain was still
    alive when Jay went back was because he went back to before Rain died. Yeah, Rain did act like she didn't know Jay at all when she saw him in the past. But, I hope not. I don't want them to start all over again and all that history between them lost.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I think Rain was still
    alive when Jay went back was because he went back to before Rain died. Yeah, Rain did act like she didn't know Jay at all when she saw him in the past. But, I hope not. I don't want them to start all over again and all that history between them lost.
    the problem is the times in 1979 and 1999 act parallel. When it was graduation day for Rain, it was also graduation day for Jay. To prove my theory, the final note was the best example. After Rain was heartbroken (from what she thought was something with the band), she quickly went back in time. Jay couldn't find her. Jay was laying around until he sees the carvings, which is parallel to what Rain is doing when she got back. And at that moment of death, she should have died both in the present and past world.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

the problem is the times in 1979 and 1999 act parallel. When it was graduation day for Rain, it was also graduation day for Jay. To prove my theory, the final note was the best example. After Rain was heartbroken (from what she thought was something with the band), she quickly went back in time. Jay couldn't find her. Jay was laying around until he sees the carvings, which is parallel to what Rain is doing when she got back. And at that moment of death, she should have died both in the present and past world.
    someone explained this before.. jay went back to 1979 - but not parallel if that makes sense.. he went back and met Rain who has never discover 'secret' nor has she met Jay before.. and the Rain that Jay became acquainted with is dead
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Someone in imdb 'Secret' forum posted a theory that explain it all. Well, at least, it's the most 'logical' I've read.

The time travel music and piano only opens a 20-year back and forth time crack, and the time of 1979 and 1999 is in strict sync,which means, if someone time travels from 1979 Jan 18, he can only get to 1999 Jan 18, exactly same time. Which explains why Xiao Yu is so sad when she heard the building is going to be destroyed on the day of graduation. If she could play into any time she likes,she could always return to the time before the building's gone and meet Lun.

There is a theory about two parallel universes existing when people time travel. And this film followed that theory up to 99%. When Lun asks to get into Xiao yu's house for the first time, he got rejected cause her mother said she's sick and resting. There is a POV shot from the upstairs window behind the curtain, which suggersts that someone is watching Lun. Who could that be? It must be the mid-aged Xiaoyu. Because at that time 20 years back, Xiao Yu's not dead yet, thus the present time Xiaoyu exists. Then in the end, when she dies in 1979, Lun of present time gets into her house, the music is still playing but Xiao yu disappeared. It is because the 1979 Xiao Yu's dead, and the present Xiao yu can no longer exist. In case of her mother's confusing behaviour, I don't think its her mental condition. It is because of the two universes , when something new happens 20 years ago, which changes present time, and changes the mother's memory simultaneously.

The bug of this theory is that if the time of 1979 and 1999 has to be preciously in sync, then how could Lun play back to the time before Xiaoyu finds the secret in 1979? He should get back on the night of the 1979's graduation day, at which time Xiao yu's already dead. I heard rumour says Jay Chou wanted a tragic ending, but the editor didn't agree, and the film is ended with Lun saving Xiaoyu .

But we can still try to explain the theory. Let us suppose the time crack repeats itself endlessly, and each run is from a certain time prior to xiaoyu's dicovery of the secret, say it starts on 1979 Jan 1, and ends on 1979 graduation day mid night. So when Lun played the music at the end of the film, he hits the last key when it turns mid night. As the result, he is ported to the begining of another round of time travel and arrives at 1979 Jan 1. At that time Xiaoyu hasn't found out about the secret, and doesn't know Lun at all. In case of why everyone could see lun and not just Xiaoyu, I think it is because the 1999 building is destroyed and he is stuck in 1979.

The last question is why he travels from 1999night time to 1979 day time if the time has to be in sync? Let's say the time crack starts at 1979 some day's day time. Or he just got knocked out by the steel ball and wakes up a few hours later...haha

I know this theory is not perfect, but I think it's the best you can find to justify the time travel mess in this film.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1037850/...t/82873067?p=2
    Last edited by kidd; 09-22-07 at 07:36 AM.

Someone imdb 'Secret' forum posted a theory that explain it all. Well, at least, it's the most 'logical' I've read.

The time travel music and piano only opens a 20-year back and forth time crack, and the time of 1979 and 1999 is in strict sync,which means, if someone time travels from 1979 Jan 18, he can only get to 1999 Jan 18, exactly same time. Which explains why Xiao Yu is so sad when she heard the building is going to be destroyed on the day of graduation. If she could play into any time she likes,she could always return to the time before the building's gone and meet Lun.

There is a theory about two parallel universes existing when people time travel. And this film followed that theory up to 99%. When Lun asks to get into Xiao yu's house for the first time, he got rejected cause her mother said she's sick and resting. There is a POV shot from the upstairs window behind the curtain, which suggersts that someone is watching Lun. Who could that be? It must be the mid-aged Xiaoyu. Because at that time 20 years back, Xiao Yu's not dead yet, thus the present time Xiaoyu exists. Then in the end, when she dies in 1979, Lun of present time gets into her house, the music is still playing but Xiao yu disappeared. It is because the 1979 Xiao Yu's dead, and the present Xiao yu can no longer exist. In case of her mother's confusing behaviour, I don't think its her mental condition. It is because of the two universes , when something new happens 20 years ago, which changes present time, and changes the mother's memory simultaneously.

The bug of this theory is that if the time of 1979 and 1999 has to be preciously in sync, then how could Lun play back to the time before Xiaoyu finds the secret in 1979? He should get back on the night of the 1979's graduation day, at which time Xiao yu's already dead. I heard rumour says Jay Chou wanted a tragic ending, but the editor didn't agree, and the film is ended with Lun saving Xiaoyu .

But we can still try to explain the theory. Let us suppose the time crack repeats itself endlessly, and each run is from a certain time prior to xiaoyu's dicovery of the secret, say it starts on 1979 Jan 1, and ends on 1979 graduation day mid night. So when Lun played the music at the end of the film, he hits the last key when it turns mid night. As the result, he is ported to the begining of another round of time travel and arrives at 1979 Jan 1. At that time Xiaoyu hasn't found out about the secret, and doesn't know Lun at all. In case of why everyone could see lun and not just Xiaoyu, I think it is because the 1999 building is destroyed and he is stuck in 1979.

The last question is why he travels from 1999night time to 1979 day time if the time has to be in sync? Let's say the time crack starts at 1979 some day's day time. Or he just got knocked out by the steel ball and wakes up a few hours later...haha

I know this theory is not perfect, but I think it's the best you can find to justify the time travel mess in this film.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1037850/...t/82873067?p=2
    omg, such a good explanation... i am totally buying it!! hehehe
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Seriously, after watching this film, i am totally clueless.

Then after reading the spoiler post above, it has helped a bit but still confused, as it doesn't explain everything that happened in the movie.

yeah, I read that explanation before, but I honestly think it's a bit too complex. There is no way Jay Chou could expect me to think of all of that during the show.

Default Secret

I've just finished watching the show. When it came to the ending, i was like wow..o.O..I totally didn't expect that kind of explanation. Although its touching and interesting. Its something new to me, travelling in time though a piano/song and getting a romantic story out of it...This is really a movie I'd recommend to others. And Jay can really play the piano well. I may prefer another actor for his role..but still, for the piano-playing part, i think Jay fits the best. Those who haven't watched it yet, its a show worth watching!
    Be nice, say hello. HELLO !!

Quote Originally Posted by macoroni View Post
    I've just finished watching the show. When it came to the ending, i was like wow..o.O..I totally didn't expect that kind of explanation. Although its touching and interesting. Its something new to me, travelling in time though a piano/song and getting a romantic story out of it...This is really a movie I'd recommend to others. And Jay can really play the piano well. I may prefer another actor for his role..but still, for the piano-playing part, i think Jay fits the best. Those who haven't watched it yet, its a show worth watching!
    It won't be as good and unexpected any more after you spoil it for them with comments like the above you just gave.

It won't be as good and unexpected any more after you spoil it for them with comments like the above you just gave.
    lol.. maybe he/she doesn't noe how to do the spoiler tags..

(spoiler)bla bla bla secret bla bla(/spolier) replace () with []
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

and one of the reasons why it was good for me was because of the low expectation I had. 1. I never enjoyed music. 2. I hate romance movie/books. Having those 2 aspects, I didn't really come in with high expectations, but it's because of this that I was surprised by the movie. I at first only watched the movie because I felt bored.
    I have to honestly say, it is probably one of the 2 or 3 movies I ever watched that was able to make my inside water up.

and one of the reasons why it was good for me was because of the low expectation I had. 1. I never enjoyed music. 2. I hate romance movie/books. Having those 2 aspects, I didn't really come in with high expectations, but it's because of this that I was surprised by the movie. I at first only watched the movie because I felt bored.
    I have to honestly say, it is probably one of the 2 or 3 movies I ever watched that was able to make my inside water up.
    Yes. That is why I keep asking people here not to spoil it. I seldom do this in other movie threads. But is one of the movies where knowing the ending beforehand will lessen the impact the movie.

Trust me, I had my fair share of spreading spoilers by mistake even on heroes S2. But, luckily all fellow Heroes fans worldwide did not killed me leaking deep details Mine spoiler in this movie was minor compared to Whsie's spoiler notes really nailed it down. For me, I rather have someone spill some beans in movies, but tv shows is a no go; unless I needed to know the next few episodes.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by ChestNut View Post
    omg, such a good explanation... i am totally buying it!! hehehe
    Chestnut -

I watched it, and never have I had a movie that made me cry so easily.

Though there was a mistake that I found; those who have seen the movie, please tell me if I'm wrong:
    Since the only person that can see Xiao Yu is Jay Chow, then how come, in one of the scenes, Xiao Yu was talking to that other girl that likes lun.

The scene is when Lun challenges the 'Piano King' to play, and if you remember, Xiao Yu is at the back with the girl who also fancies Lun, and they end up talking to each other. How is that possible if the only person that can see Xiao Yu is Lun?
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

Quote Originally Posted by girllikeme View Post
    Chestnut -

I watched it, and never have I had a movie that made me cry so easily.

Though there was a mistake that I found; those who have seen the movie, please tell me if I'm wrong:
    Since the only person that can see Xiao Yu is Jay Chow, then how come, in one of the scenes, Xiao Yu was talking to that other girl that likes lun.

The scene is when Lun challenges the 'Piano King' to play, and if you remember, Xiao Yu is at the back with the girl who also fancies Lun, and they end up talking to each other. How is that possible if the only person that can see Xiao Yu is Lun?
    The only person who can see Xiao Yu is the first person she sees when she goes to the future. On that particular day, the first person she saw when she went to the future was Cheng Yi. So, Cheng Yi was able to talk to her. During that piano competition there was one moment where Jay look to the place where Xiao Yu was supposed to be standing, but he saw no one standing beside Cheng Yi.

The only person who can see Xiao Yu is the first person she sees when she goes to the future. On that particular day, the first person she saw when she went to the future was Cheng Yi. So, Cheng Yi was able to talk to her. During that piano competition there was one moment where Jay look to the place where Xiao Yu was supposed to be standing, but he saw no one.
    So the person changes every single time?
    I thought it stayed that way...

Quote Originally Posted by girllikeme View Post
    So the person changes every single time?
    I thought it stayed that way...
    Yeah, it changes every single time. There was also one time where Jay sending a paper to Xiao Yu asking her to come to the piano room and Cheng Yi ended up coming. Then, you heard the school cleaner shouted Xiao Yu and Jay rushed out to find her but couldn't. That's also because the cleaner was the first person she saw during that trip.

kidd explained that perfectly.. lol.. plus

that is why Rain counted the steps from the piano to the classroom and close her eyes doing so so that the first person she sees when she open her eyes, is Jay
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Quote Originally Posted by ChestNut View Post
    kidd explained that perfectly.. lol.. plus

that is why Rain counted the steps from the piano to the classroom and close her eyes doing so so that the first person she sees when she open her eyes, is Jay
    Oh yeah but -

that doesnt work :S because straight after the piano competition, Rain met up with Lun (where they at lunch)...