Thread: Shao Lin in Generations

Default Shao Lin in Generations

Well Shao Lin Monastery has been a huge presence on some of Jin Yong's books and never mentioned in others. I have searched for many threads but still don't have a satisfactory answer so I'm asking here.

Now I read somewhere that the Martial history of Shao Lin started in the Tang*, which would be 7th century A.D. Now, that would put Shao Lin in the time line of every book except (I think) Sword of Jade Maiden<<越女劍>>. Now, in stories such as DGSD it is clear that Shao Lin is extremely powerful, and unlike QZ sect, they did not weaken over time. However, then there is another time lapse (the first being from DGSD to HSDS) and lack of information again on Shao Lin.

The Point:
    What did you guys think went on in Shao Lin during all that time to keep them at the top of the Martial World? Everyone else were modifying their own arts and the new generations were becoming stronger and stronger (very arguable, but lets use it for my point right now), how did Shao Lin cope?

It is not explained as well as others like the five alliance in Smiling Proud Wonderer where the martial arts of have a base for dramatic improvement, Shao Lin just spontaneously jumps in power.

Also, why is there so little action from Shao Lin in some books? Besides the fact it wouldn't help the plot, more useless sects have been mentioned.

Lastly, would Shao Lin be the strongest 'sect' of all time?
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

Because JY is a Buddhist, so of course he say ShaoLin good.
    In actucal history, Shao Lin Martial Arts was good only when many martial artist went there to become monk.
    And teach their home martial art to the other monks.
    At DaMo's time and a long period after that, ShaoLin have abt 0 martial art.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

What did you guys think went on in Shao Lin during all that time to keep them at the top of the Martial World?
    By far, Shaolin temple had more elite martial arts than any other organization. They have the 72 Supreme Arts plus Yijinjing which was proclaimed to be the best thing in the world. Therefore, as long as they have some talented students, Shaolin will continue to reign as a major organization in the martial world.

Everyone else were modifying their own arts and the new generations were becoming stronger and stronger (very arguable, but lets use it for my point right now), how did Shao Lin cope?
    Who else were modifying their own arts? Can you give some examples?

Shaolin did continue to refine its martial arts. Some of the 72 arts were invented by students after the institution's establishment.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    By far, Shaolin temple had more elite martial arts than any other organization. They have the 72 Supreme Arts plus Yijinjing which was proclaimed to be the best thing in the world. Therefore, as long as they have some talented students, Shaolin will continue to reign as a major organization in the martial world.

Who else were modifying their own arts? Can you give some examples?

Shaolin did continue to refine its martial arts. Some of the 72 arts were invented by students after the institution's establishment.
    From LOCH to ROCH many used 9 yin to modify their own arts, LCY created a whole new sword technique as did YG with palms. 9 Yang also helped with old masteries in HSDS but I didn't include that because Shao Lin had a strong hold in said book.

Quote Originally Posted by shenlong View Post
    From LOCH to ROCH many used 9 yin to modify their own arts, LCY created a whole new sword technique as did YG with palms. 9 Yang also helped with old masteries in HSDS but I didn't include that because Shao Lin had a strong hold in said book.
    Well, those modifications were short-lived, because they weren't passed on to later generations! The 9 Yin-inspired arts pretty much died with ROCH. Whereas, Shaolin from early on established a tradition of passing on what has been invented.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Well, those modifications were short-lived, because they weren't passed on to later generations! The 9 Yin-inspired arts pretty much died with ROCH. Whereas, Shaolin from early on established a tradition of passing on what has been invented.
    That might have just answered all of my questions at once, it can only get better with time. Well, assuming competent successors.

Quote Originally Posted by shenlong View Post
    Well Shao Lin Monastery has been a huge presence on some of Jin Yong's books and never mentioned in others. I have searched for many threads but still don't have a satisfactory answer so I'm asking here.

Now I read somewhere that the Martial history of Shao Lin started in the Tang*, which would be 7th century A.D. Now, that would put Shao Lin in the time line of every book except (I think) Sword of Jade Maiden<<越女劍>>. Now, in stories such as DGSD it is clear that Shao Lin is extremely powerful, and unlike QZ sect, they did not weaken over time. However, then there is another time lapse (the first being from DGSD to HSDS) and lack of information again on Shao Lin.

The Point:
    What did you guys think went on in Shao Lin during all that time to keep them at the top of the Martial World? Everyone else were modifying their own arts and the new generations were becoming stronger and stronger (very arguable, but lets use it for my point right now), how did Shao Lin cope?

It is not explained as well as others like the five alliance in Smiling Proud Wonderer where the martial arts of have a base for dramatic improvement, Shao Lin just spontaneously jumps in power.

Also, why is there so little action from Shao Lin in some books? Besides the fact it wouldn't help the plot, more useless sects have been mentioned.

Lastly, would Shao Lin be the strongest 'sect' of all time?
    Sure it might not be mentioned, but that doesn't mean it's not powerful.

During ROCH and LOCH time, Shao Lin had internal affairs.
    Even, some monks migrated from Shao Llin and created Western Shao Lin temple.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”