Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: ATV DVD's

Default ATV DVD's

Does anybody know if ATV is releasing any legit DVD's? I'm mainly looking for oldies like Legend Continues, Legendary Fok, Zhuge Liang, Chen Zhen, Reincarnated and all those goodies. I've been only been able to find bootlegs. I wish ATV would be like TVB and be more consistent with it. For ATV stuff, I'm seeing a billion different companies releasing these shows and they are still hard to find. I want to get it from one company that is able to make them in good quality.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Does anybody know if ATV is releasing any legit DVD's? I'm mainly looking for oldies like Legend Continues, Legendary Fok, Zhuge Liang, Chen Zhen, Reincarnated and all those goodies. I've been only been able to find bootlegs. I wish ATV would be like TVB and be more consistent with it. For ATV stuff, I'm seeing a billion different companies releasing these shows and they are still hard to find. I want to get it from one company that is able to make them in good quality.
    I think Yesasia got a few but their price is very high.

Yeah I checked, rediculous prices and not consistent. Box art looks like crap. I dunno how the video and audio quality will be.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I think for ATV only Asiaview Entertainment is release it on DVD. Since their price is so high, I don't anyone will buy it. I don't see any store that I went to is carry ATV DVD.

Yeah that Asiaview company is crap. MAL in Vancouver carries their stuff. I wanted Tai Chi Master, but it was like inkjet print out cover. Looked like a bootleg and they were charging 100 bucks. What a rip. So far I bought Legendary Continues and Legendary Fok on DVD, but it's a booteg. Looks really nice though. Way better than Asiaview.

If I'm not mistaken, Asiaview was bought by Taiseng and was changed to East Media. Ironic how their quality is inferior to TVB products(considering that Taiseng owns the exclusive rights).

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Asiaview was bought by Taiseng and was changed to East Media. Ironic how their quality is inferior to TVB products(considering that Taiseng owns the exclusive rights).
    As I noticed Yesasia.com still put the distributor is Asiaview. I'm not sure about the quality.

Yeah I noticed that too. But when I saw the DVDs in person at Chinatown and other stores, it had the East Media logo on it, along with the same address as Tai Seng's, with just a different department! Here's the link to their official site: http://www.eastmediaentertainment.com/

Does anybody know what's the difference between the US version and non-US version of some of ATV's VCD's? Most notably Dragon Strike - I know its not a difference in one having subtitles and the other not having it, because the latter US version doesn't have any subtitles and I doubt a latter version would have less features than the original version. Is one version longer than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu View Post
    Does anybody know what's the difference between the US version and non-US version of some of ATV's VCD's? Most notably Dragon Strike - I know its not a difference in one having subtitles and the other not having it, because the latter US version doesn't have any subtitles and I doubt a latter version would have less features than the original version. Is one version longer than the other?
    I bought Recarnated & Dragon Strike, each title is 60 vcd. I'll check the back of the box to see which distributor.

Myself and a few others at Wuxiasociety are thinking about making a petition for classic ATV series to be released on DVD, digitally remastered and restored with English subtitles. However, I don't know if the petition should be addressed to the ATV station in Hong Kong to ask them to find a good distributor or to address it to Eastmedia.

Myself and a few others at Wuxiasociety are thinking about making a petition for classic ATV series to be released on DVD, digitally remastered and restored with English subtitles. However, I don't know if the petition should be addressed to the ATV station in Hong Kong to ask them to find a good distributor or to address it to Eastmedia.
    That would be great, but I just don't think ATV cares cause they just dump their stuff off to distrubutors and let them deal with it.

Count me in to get some signatures. As mentioned earlier, I am debating whether or not to get Dragon Strikes - but the 60 episodes woudl cost freaking $181.00 at YesAsia Want the good stuff, not some cheap transfer to DVD-R as you guys say.

Another question regarding ATV's DVDs.

I know that the series on DVD-R mean low picture quality. However, does it allow for scrolling through episodes, and scrolling through chapters within each episode?

I know that the series on DVD-R mean low picture quality. However, does it allow for scrolling through episodes, and scrolling through chapters within each episode?
    What I did is transfer from vcd to DVD.

DVD-R is just the disk itself. Whether or not it has good picture quality or if it lets you fast forward depends on how the DVD was authored. You can have a DVD-R that has good quality and not letting you fast forward.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    DVD-R is just the disk itself. Whether or not it has good picture quality or if it lets you fast forward depends on how the DVD was authored. You can have a DVD-R that has good quality and not letting you fast forward.
    thanks for the info Bluesky and Almo, so do the ATV DVD-rs that you bought have good picture quality and/or let you select chapters?

I bought Fatherland on VCD - its a very good series by the way - the picture quality was okay, not great. However, the VCD has only 1 track, so I couldn't preview sections of the disc. If they do directly transfer the VCD footage until DVD-r and do not have divisions of epidosdes, then it could be a total headache to browse through the disc. Each of the VCDs hold 60 minutes of film, I am assuming that each DVD-r can hold 240 minutes of film. 240 minutes of footage with no division !

The publisher of Fatherland is Winson.
    Last edited by bobbywu; 07-03-07 at 11:48 PM.

It depends if the distributor will use a single layer DVD or dual layer. Frankly speaking, a single layer DVD will normally hold 2 episodes of 45 minutes each to maintain a good quality. Dual layer DVDs usually have about 5 episodes of 45 minutes each to maintain a good quality. Anything more than those on each disc will suffer a worse quality. Just speaking from my experience with the Chinese series I have on DVDs.

I wouldn't waste my time with any ATV DVD's out there, most seem to be transfers from VCD's to DVD-R.

Bought the Legendary Fok and the Tai Chi Master, not very impressed with the quality or the price..............................

Yeah I have Legendary Fok on DVD and it's a brutal transfer. It's edited very weird too. Each episode doesn't end right.