Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demi Gods and Semi Devils, end of Chapter 4 and onwards.

Originally posted by mich
    Moin, your map appears to be Southern Song cos the capital has shifted to Hangzhou as depicted.
    Let's not confuse Yang Guo. Afterall, DGSD was in Northern Song(Song) era.
    hahaha
    how far apart are Tian Long Ba Bu and LoCH?

Originally posted by Yang Guo
    hahaha
    120 years, I think that was how much before LoCH JY set for DGSD.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

heh... pretty precise answer

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

hahaha

#

DGSD 1091~1093 Northern Song Era

LoCH 1199~1227 Southern Song Era

RoCH 1237~1260 Late Southern Song Era

HSDS Late Southern Song (first few chapters)
    Subsequent chapters occur in late Yuan; 1260~1367

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    #

LoCH 1199~1227 Southern Song Era

RoCH 1237~1260 Late Southern Song Era

HSDS Late Southern Song (first few chapters)
    Subsequent chapters occur in late Yuan; 1260~1367
    Wha? Did Jin Yong actually mention the years or something?

Wha? Did Jin Yong actually mention the years or something?

#
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, not directly, but you know ............ JY fans have nothing better to do ........... they began to think .......... and came to some conclusions..........

http://www.geocities.com/jyheroes/misc.html

Give a look at the encyclopedias and timeline.

Actually, JY did mentioned in LOCH that the yr was somewhere around Ning Zong's reign.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    #

DGSD was set in the reign of YeLu HongJi, the year shld be around 1055- 1101.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

DGSD was set in the reign of YeLu HongJi, the year shld be around 1055- 1101.

I think the below data is 'around' that era, it could be right:

DGSD does not fill the WHOLE era of YeLu HongJi, remember the end of DGSD when the Liao army withdrew from the border city (Yan Men Guan) following the death of Xiao Feng, YeLu HongJi was still king. It's probable he abdicated/died eight years later.

I think it is a bit naive to think that DGSD timeline equals the reigning era of YeLu HongJi. :-)
    Last edited by Du Gu seeking a win; 07-21-05 at 12:58 PM.

i wasnt sure about exactly what year was DGSD set in when i posted previously.

i went back and read my DGSD and there was this chapter when Xiao Feng helped Yelu HongJi crushed a rebellion staged by his uncle. That year was 1063. So, in my opinion, DGSD cldnt be a novel written with events spanning for 2 yrs.

Throughout Yelu HongJi's later years in power, he was busy crushing rebellions from tribes within Liao and members of his royal family.

Yelu HongJi died due to sickness.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

Default Inconsistencies in DGSD

i wasnt sure about exactly what year was DGSD set in when i posted previously.

i went back and read my DGSD and there was this chapter when Xiao Feng helped Yelu HongJi crushed a rebellion staged by his uncle. That year was 1063. So, in my opinion, DGSD cldnt be a novel written with events spanning for 2 yrs.

Throughout Yelu HongJi's later years in power, he was busy crushing rebellions from tribes within Liao and members of his royal family.

Yelu HongJi died due to sickness.

#
    Is your DGSD 2nd edition (published after 1972)?
    I think the guy below (of JY Forum) talks about the 2nd edition of DGSD.

Re: made a mistake in the previous post
    Posted By: jinjin (palo15.pacific.net.sg)
    Date: Friday, 1 August 2003, at 11:01 p.m.

In Response To: Re: made a mistake in the previous post (Han Solo)

> Huh, why is it confusing?

in chapter 27, JY suggested it was 1063. in chapter 49, JY suggested it was 1093 (Zhe Zong Year 9), then in the same breath, DY succeeded the Dali throne (1108).
    The most damning part was, JY wrote that DY was born in BaoDing Year2 (1082), how could he be XF's sworn brother when he was not even born with reference to chapter 27 ??

oh, yeah mine is the 2nd edition.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

Well, I suppose it's not appropiate anymore to ask that here since the thread seems to be rather outdated - but was the translation of DGSD continued somewhere else?
    Figured it wasn't, since I couldn't find anything - just thought that asking wouldn't hurt, now if it does, just excuse me ^^.

Bye bye~
    MHOOO

i'm wondering the same as well. I'm seeing later chapters, but nothing between here and chap 19.

Am i missing a thread?

Default Chapter 4 edited :o)

I like translating, and especially admired John Minford's translation of the Deer and the Cauldron. Unlike other translators, he didn't just translate verbatim from the Chinese version (I've read both), which often result in clumsy sentences that have lost their original spirit. He read the story and pretty much re-wrote it, to make the names, sentences and scenes smoother and more lively for an English speaking audience. I think Moilleion did really well!- but I thought I'll try and emulate John Minford (albeit poorly!) to add a bit more spirit and sophistication into the translation.

I've changed Mu Wan Qing to Grace (a loose interpretation of the "Wan"), but kept Duan Yu's name (it's short, and easily remembered anyway). I've also simplified some place names.

-------------------------------

"What took you two so long? Is that why my poor pupil disappeared? You two useless pieces of rubbish let him fall to his death?" Divine Croc viciously demanded.

The two men approached timidly, stopping a few yards away. They looked at each other- but never at the Crocodile God. Finally, one of them stammered, "We, er... we ummmm... spent half the day looking. We didn't find any bodies at the bottom of the cliff.".

"Well! So you're telling me that he just flew away? Like a bird?" The Crocodile God became sarcastic in his fury. "How dare you speak such rubbish to me?!"

The two terrified mercenaries fell to their knees, kowtowing frantically, begging for mercy with loud wails. But the Crocodile God didn't get his name (as Number Three of the Four Great Evils) by being softhearted. The men's wails were interrupted by two sharp whirls of wind as he shot two large stones in their direction, killing them both.

Grace, watching the whole drama surreptiously, felt a surge of joy when the two men died- such sweet revenge for their failure in finding her fiance!. But her happiness was short-lived as she refocused on her predicament. "If he's not at the top of the cliff, and there aren't any bodies at the bottom of the cliff, where could he be? Could it be that he had landed on some remote place on the face of the cliff where they couldn't find him, or maybe they did actually find his body but were too scared to say it?" she fell back into her previous gloom, not because she was afraid of death- she wasn't- and besides, without Yu life wasn't worth living on, anyway. And not to mention that she's now in the claws of one of the Great Evils (albeit Number Three)- so a quick, self-inflicted death would be much more preferable to the tortures that he's sure to bestow on her. No, Grace was worried because she may die without ever finding out what had happened to Yu.

In the meantime, the Crocodile God was cursing at the top of his voice, "What are those two turtle-eggs up to?" he screeched. "Hey, Numbers One and Four! Are you two bastards going to show up or not? Or are you going to keep me waiting here forever?!"

"Do you have the guts not to wait?" A female voice broke his tirade. It was Number Two, Madam Yie.

"He told me to tell you," The Crocodile God spun around to face his antagonist, "that we're to wait on this peak for seven straight days. If he hasn't appeared, then we're to head over to the Valley of Death, to Zhong Wanchou's place- and to stay there until he's met up with us."

"Did he, now?" Madam Yie said dryly. "He must've given you a thorough thrashing, a downright sound beating, before giving you those orders."

"I'm not denying that Number One is- is-" The Crocodile God searched his limited reptilian brain for the right word "-is somewhat superior to me in his martial arts skills. He is called Number One, after all. But he didn't thoroughly thrash me!"

"Whatever you say." Madam Yie seemed to have lost interest in the conversation. She turned back to the mysterious bundle in her arms, apparently talking to it. "There there, sweetie, hush! Mommy loves you... all right sweetie, shhh... there... hmmm it couldn't have been gentle beating, either... there there..."

"No, it wasn't that, either." The Crocodile God admitted, sheepishly, then turned sarcastic. "You'd be laughing out of the other side of your face, if Number One decides to go after you. You think you can escape? I should think not."

"Darling sweetie... " Madam Yie continued to mumble to the pile in her arms. "Now why would that happen? I'm not the one wanting a promotion up the ranks of the Great Evils."

"Tamady!" The Crocodile God yelled. "Stop calling him that"

"Whatever." Madam Yie smiled. "Calm down. By the way, did you know that Number Four got into a scuffle with some folks on his way here. He didn't out of it all that well, either."

"He did?" The Crocodile God was momentarily taken aback. "Who were those people?"

Madam Yie didn't answer right away. She had spotted Grace, who was listening attentively to the conversation. "Who's this wench who's giving me such insolent looks? I'll bet that she's cursing me for my little habit. Why don't you get rid of her, brother? I don't want an extra pair of ears listening to this story."

"She's my pupils fiance. I can't kill her." The Crocodile God said. "Then he'll never agree to my being his shifu!"

"I thought that pupil of yours is dead already."

"Well, I don't know that. You'd think that there should be a corpse, if he'd fallen to his death." he mused. "No, I think he's just hiding somewhere. He'll come back in no time, and beg me to take him in as a disciple."

"No, I've made up my mind. This little girl has to die. Those eyes of hers are just too pretty. I don't have eyes like that- so no one else should, either! I'll start by digging out her eyes." Madam Yie said, then chuckled. "Tell your disciple to come after me."

Grace broke into a cold sweat.

"Tamady! I'm not going to stand by and let that happen!" The Crocodile God shouted. "If you don't want her to listen in, I'll just hit her pressure points, make her sleep for a day or two." Ignoring Madam Yie, he reached out and jabbed Grace on her flank and at a spot just below her armpit.

Grace's head began to spin immediately, and the next thing she knew, she fell unconscious into a deep sleep. She didn't know how long she was out for, but when she finally came around, she was frozen stiff. In her semi-conscious state, she thought she could hear screeches of laughter. At least, it sounded like laughter- but without the expected humour in normal laughter. Varying in pitch and tone- it was a terrifying noise to behold. So, even though she had an almost insuppressibly urge to move and stretch, Grace stayed deadly still, knowing that any movement would bring immediate disaster.

Then she heard The Crocodile God's voice. "Number Four, you may as well stop your trumpet blowing. Sister Three already told me that you got upstaged by gang of folks- so stop lying and acting like a damned hero! How many of them were there?"

"Seven! There were seven of them. All top-notch too, they were." a thoroughly unpleasant voice answered. It was the same voice that generated the laughter earlier- the harsh, screeching voice, with it peculiar and random changes in tone. "It doesn't matter how good I am, I can't beat seven top-notch fighters all at once, can I?"

"So this is Number Four." Grace thought. She desperately wanted to peek out, to see for herself what kind of person he was- he who describes himself as being Thoroughly-Cruel-and-Evil. But fear kept her immobilised, and her eyes shut.

"We all know that Number Four blows his own trumpet just a bit two much." Madam Yie sighed with barely concealed impatience. "There were only two men there- where did the extra five come from? And I don't believe that they're all that skilled either- top martial artists aren't exactly commonplace!"

"How do you know?" Number Four spun on her, angrily. "Were you there?"

"How else would I know?" Madam Yie snorted. "Let me see. The first fellow used a long rod, the other a pair of double-axes. Am I correct? I didn't see the other five phantom blokes, though. What kind of weapons were they using?"

"So you were there!" Number Four screeched. "Then why were you hiding? Or were were you hoping that they'll do me in for good?!"

"For goodness, sake, Crane, can't you just run? If you can't beat them?" Madam Yie shrugged. "I thought you 'flying' kungfu is the best around. Or is your moniker a bit of a misnomer?"

"So his name's Crane." Grace noted.

Crane was becoming increasingly angry. Pacing around, his voice seemed to rise and fall in tune with his step. "It won't do you fools any good, if I'd died in that battle. Have you idiots not worked out the reason why we're gathered here? To help that loser Zhong Wanchou? I should hope not! I ain't helping no scumbag who didn't even bother to send me a woman! Hell, no! Number One wants revenge, pure and simple- and he's summoned us so that we can join forces against the might of the Emperor of Dali! Let's see who'd be laughing, once I tell Number One that all you fools could do was to laugh and spectate when I run into strife!"

"Come one, Brother Four." Madam Yie laughed lightly- her voice not betraying the concern that Crane may just tell on them, to Number One. "What's that all about? You didn't need our help. No one can 'fly' better than you- faint as a wisp of smoke, graceful as a swan. Those two guys have no chance of ever catching up to you if you'd taken off- even I can't do that! You were in no danger at all! Why else do you think that I stayed out of the fray?"

Crane appeared to be somewhat mollified by her ostentious praise. He humphed, and fell silent.

"So who were those dogs?" The Crocodile God asked. "Were they from the Dali court?"

"Mostly." Crane muttered, his anger simmering. "Who else in Dali would be of such high caliber?"

"Ha!" Madam Yie interrupted. "So much for your bravado! Did you really think you could just charge into the palace and take the Emperor's head back on a platter? What did I tell you? I was right, wasn't I? That you two were taking this whole business way too lightly!"

Crane changed the subject abruptly. "We've waited for three days past the appointed time, and Number One still hasn't shown up yet. This isn't like him at all! Could- could-"

"Could something have happened to him?" Madam Yie finished the sentence for him.

"Dammit!" The Crocodile God said irritably. "He told us to wait for seven straight days! There's still four days left! You think that Number One is like you? Getting thrashed then deserting the battle?"

"There is nothing wrong with escaping if the situation calls for it." Madam Yie said haughtily. "But you never know. If a dozen-odd kungfu masters had somehow trapped him, who knows what may happen? And you know that he'll never give up- he'll fight to the death."

"What utter rubbish! How many years have we been with Number One? Have you ever seen him in trouble?" The Crocodile God hissed and spat. "Why on earth would he run into trouble now? And in Dali, too- this tiny country not worth a damn- of all places!

"And dammit! I'm starving again!" he looked around. Luckily for him, there was still a leg of beef remaining from a previous feast. He picked it up and roasted it over the fire beside him.

The mouth-watering scent of roast beef wafted through the air to where Grace was crouched behind her boulder. She desperately tried to stop her stomach from growling- to no avail. Madam Yie picked up the barely perceptible sound, and smiled.

"Hoy, little girl." she called out. "Hungry, are we? Don't pretend now- I know that you woke up a long time ago. Come out and meet Number Four."

The Crocodile God frowned. Crane was a well known "ladies man"- although the term may be too elegant for him. Predator, more likely. He leapt up, tore off a piece of semi-cooked beef and tossed it in front of Grace.

"Now get up and get lost. I don't want you eavesdropping on our conversation." He ordered.

"Has my fiance showed up yet?" she asked, disguising her voice to a hag-like cackle.

"Tamady! No!" The Crocodile God snapped. "I went back and searched the entire ridge and valley myself. There ain't even a trace of that little bastard. That little bastard is surely alive- or else somebody must have rescued him. I have waited for him here for three days now, I'm going to give him four more days. If he still doesn't show up by then, hehe, then I'm going to make a meal out of you"

He may be stupid, but Ol' Croc is pretty experienced in these matters" Grace thought with sheer relief. "If he thinks that Yu isn't dead, then he probably isn't. I wonder where he is now? Is he even worried about me? Will he come here and save me?"

She picked up the piece of meat on the ground and walked around to the other side of the huge boulder. Her legs were numb and tired and she was exhausted from hunger. She stumbled slowly- surprising herself by the lack of pain. Her wounds have all but healed from her three days of rest.

"Anyway," Madam Yie asked The Croc, "What's so special about that fellow? Why are you so desperate to snare him as your pupil?"

"Because he's exactly like me." The Croc explained. "If he becomes a member of my Southern Seas Sect, he'd be sure to become a prodigy and may even surpass me in skill, one day."

"So, even thought I'm only ranked second out of us four, my pupil will surely be Number One."

Grace continued to walk, slowly and quietly, away from the four villains. She heard the Croc boasting about Yu's potential, and she felt a surge of pride- and concern- as well as bemusement. Yu was brave- there's no doubt about that- but when it came to martial arts, he's a complete dunce. She smiled inwardly. It almost made her feel sorry for the Southern Seas Sect- if Yu somehow became Croc's disciple.

She came across another large boulder, sat down, and tucked into the beef. It was a large slab- and she was full to bursting before she was even halfway through. She put it aside, thinking, "I'll wait seven days. If he doesn't appear by then, he's obviously a heartless bastard and and completely forgotten about me. In that case, I'll be just as good as dead." her heart sank at this possibility. "On the other hand, even if I somehow survive- there'll be no point in living then, is there?"

Grace stayed on the ridge for days, mulling over her anxieties, finally understanding the old adage describing how some days can feel like years. She watched and listened, day and night, her heart leaping at the smallest sound, in the hope for some signs of life- even if it wasn't Yu. Anything is better than the torturously long days and endless nights. She became increasingly depressed with each passing hour, and her faith in Yu started to waver.

"This mountain may be tough to scale," she thought sourly, "but if you really wanted to come and rescue me, then two or three days ought to do it. So you should either have appeared by now, or you obviously have no intention in coming back at all! I know you don't want to be taken on by the Croc- but what about me?! Don't you care about me any more? Why did you make all those promises? Why did you kiss me?"

Her shifu's words came back to haunt her. "All men are heartless." she'd said bitterly. Grace tried to convince herself otherwise- Yu isn't like that! But a small voice in her head told her that she's merely deluding herself.

Luckily, over these few days, the four Great Evils had stayed away. They were too focused on waiting for Number One to bother Grace. The three of them paced around like ants on a hot stove, grumbling and bickering, the sound of their voices audible to Grace every now and then.

By day six, Grace had given up all hope. "Tomorrow's the deadline. And that heartless bastard isn't going to show up- I'm sure of it. I might as well make a run for it tonight. Now's as good a chance as any- daylight's just going to ruin whatever chance I have." She stood up, and stretched, feeling mildly pleased that, despite all that's happened, at least her wounds have healed up.

"Probably best to wait until those three idiots have started to fight again." she mused, "then make a break and find somewhere to hide, close by. Those fools probably thought I'd dash down the mountain as quickly as I can. Heh heh, they might even chase me all the way down the cliff. Once they're gone, I'll take my time, and make my mistake."

Then she thought, "Hm. What on earth am I thinking? They've got no business with me- why would they even bother chasing after me? They probably won't even care that I'm gone."

She almost started to leave, but was drawn back by the thought of Yu, whom she still cared deeply about, still nursing a faint glimmer of hope that he'd somehow turn up. "What if he really does come tomorrow and I wasn't here? What if he really does care about me enough to risk his life to come up the mountain, runs into that damned Croc, refuses to be his disciple, and gets killed? What would I do then?"

She wavered a few more times, torn between leaving and her remaining anxieties. Whilst she was still trying to come to a decision, dawn started to break.

Thanks for that. I think that naysayers can always change the names back in notepad, although it might be best to keep to the existing naming convention in an unabridged thread. Still, most of us are mainly interested in the story, and some of us are already inured to anglicisations by the characters "Scarlett", "Turquoise" and "Purple".