Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    It's not my fault that you're such a talented cheesecake.
    *farts*
    *skips away acting like nothing happened*
    we need a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    we need a picture.
    of what? cheesecakes?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    wrong country, but that's ok.

I am not a fan of miso soup myself because the jap stores usually give msg crap. Basically, it is a broth based of dashi . Some use bonito flakes. You mix miso, and tofu near the end with some seaweed

what? what is dashi?! what's bonito flakes? where can i get them? what is MISO? -___-

n omg, i love miso soup! <3
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    we need a picture.
    Sorry, I took the pic but you can't see my fart.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatlady View Post

what? what is dashi?! what's bonito flakes? where can i get them? what is MISO? -___-

n omg, i love miso soup! <3
    .....u can wikipedia it
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Puttin the theory to the test.

Mixed hoisin, peanutbutter, Sriracha hot sauce, sprinkled peanuts and....mmmm...yums! Tastes just like store bought!

I think you need to boil it to melt the peanutbutter. I just did it the ghetto way without boiling. Also the Hoisin is a bit overpowering. May need to dilute with water.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/ogakira/DSC06263.jpg')
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Vietnamese food is hell good! Banh xeo! mmm...

My favorite vnese food gotten be bun nuoc leo, or known as bun mam if you travel towards central vietnam. It's not everyone's cup of tea though unlike pho.
    where art thou prince? i want to wake up!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    =don't no use the word "Cam on" since most of them don't use it.....lol....so it would make u stand out...
    Wow....are you sure? When I was there, I remember using that phrase a lot.........are people just getting ruder everyday or what?

=b4 eat at any places, try to get some paper and clean ur chopstick, soup, etc.....just clean everything...
    Actually, I do that here in the states too. Can't help it.

Dude, I'm not talking about eating a baby dog! They don't have enough meat anyways. You know what's great about dog meat? They have no fat. It's soooo lean!
    Plus, it's the same thing as eating a pig or cow. We kill it to eat it.
    And abortion is very different from eating a dog. Abortions are for people who can't deal with their own mistake while killing dog is for eating. Get it straight woman!
    To be honest, I wouldn't be too sure of eating dog meat, especially in VN. You have no idea where that dog came from....whether it was diseased or not, or whether people just dig up other people's dead dogs. I've seen it happen before. To my own dog. *cries*

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    whoever dumb enough to mistaking between eating bug and beef......but no, it's only a rumor....well, i don't live in VN so i don't really know if it's true o not.....but i don't think so.....there isn't enough bug
    There are plenty of bugs in VN, that's for sure. You can always be assured that the flies are bountiful.

I know how to make the spring roll itself. I want the sauce recipe. It's the hoison sauce one with peanut on top. I know they don't just dump hoison in the bowl for us cause it tastes different.
    There are several ways to make this sauce. I hate the ones that they give you out in the stores though, whenever you buy those ready-made rolls. And I've eaten other people's homemade sauce and those aren't that great either. I guess it really depends what taste you're used to. The way I make mine is with peanut butter, hot water (to melt the PB), hoisin sauce, some sugar, a bit of flour for some viscosity, and then bring it to a boil. Don't overcook it or else it'll.......umm...I don't know how to say this, but it'll break more easily and won't taste good then. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzbeauty View Post
    My favorite vnese food gotten be bun nuoc leo, or known as bun mam if you travel towards central vietnam. It's not everyone's cup of tea though unlike pho.
    Bun mam is definitely very good if you know how to eat mam. One of my most favorite dishes ever.

To be honest, it's been a very long time since I've left VN. I don't have much incentive to return back there except for some relatives and the food (mainly fruits) there. I am not looking forward to the heat, the mosquitoes, the annoying relatives, the heat, getting food poisoned, and did I mention the heat already?

I think I'll be returning back to Vietnam this december. I haven't gone since I was like 3 Years OLD! WOW. I hope my relatives remember me...

Ugh, any tips for this soon-t0-be-tourists?

btw, myy dad just blends our "sauce" do no melting, but he does add water because i don't like too think or liquidy. he adds peanut butter, and hoison, a little sriracha, and sometimes he puts peanuts. and blends it in our magic bullet.

I wish i would've learn more recipes from him before he passed awayy =[
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

The heat can be unbearable. The air is pretty polluted, and the mosquitos can kill. If you're not a native and you eat some of the food there, you can run into major GI problems.

Though my love for Vietnamese food conquers most of this. I will be back for the food.

i went when i was younger.. my mom said i didn't get sick but my little sister got sick. i hope it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post

To be honest, it's been a very long time since I've left VN. I don't have much incentive to return back there except for some relatives and the food (mainly fruits) there. I am not looking forward to the heat, the mosquitoes, the annoying relatives, the heat, getting food poisoned, and did I mention the heat already?
    Oddly enough, I didn't find the heat that bad in Vietnam, infact when I returned to my home in Australia, I almost fainted from heat exhaustion. Maybe it's because I'd been in a different climate.

I got foodpoisoned when I was in Vietnam last year. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I had a bad stomach and complications for a week - NOT FUN. What bad luck.

I'm going back to Vietnam next December; I miss my relatives and the laid-back lifestyle over there. I can't make it this year. Nobody's going with me, and I refuse to travel alone - where's the fun? None of my friends would go because their parents won't let.

Can someone tell me how much are Jetstar/Vietnam Airline's return tickets to Ho Chi Minh City, costs?

Ah, Vietnam. It was truly my privilege to be upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by hmschocolate View Post
    What I found really interesting when my high school class took a trip down to HCMC the other year was visiting the Cu Chi tunnels. It's a great place to visit if you're interested in history. Though I must say the War Museum in HCMC freaked me out.
    Yes, the War Remnants Museum was an emotional experience for me. As I was viewing photographs of the Mai Lai massacre, I felt a powerful force that wanted to shut my eyes and I had to pull myself away.

As for Pho, you must really try real Hanoian Pho. If you've ever by chance eaten it overseas, forget it. Try real Hanoi Pho, it's much much better (and cheaper). I'd say part of the experience is actually sitting in the road side stalls but I know a lot of tourists are very reluctant to try those but tbh now there are some pretty decent looking shops that sell Pho, they're not all dirty and yucky like before ).
    I know pho originated in the north, but I had a very different experience. I had pho several times in north Vietnam, in restaurants and in roadside stalls. I personally found them dull and bland compared to the rich flavors and varieties of the pho in the US. Furthermore, when I got to south VN, I found the food infinitely richer and tastier, similar to the VN restaurant offerings in the US.

Maybe there are better pho stalls in Hanoi that I should have visited, or maybe I haven't developed an appreciation for the real pho (of Hanoi).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Ah, Vietnam. It was truly my privilege to be upon you.
    You sound like you just violated a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    You sound like you just violated a woman.
    Well, countries are often referred to as "she" and "her"...

But no, I don't want to violate either a country or a woman

Default Novemeber 2010

I got a week or 2 to waste from Nov 1.
    If I only had 1 week where would you guys suggest?
    North (Hanoi base) or South (Saigon base).

I'd like to see historical stuff as well as scenery stuff. And hike trails.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    I got a week or 2 to waste from Nov 1.
    If I only had 1 week where would you guys suggest?
    North (Hanoi base) or South (Saigon base).

I'd like to see historical stuff as well as scenery stuff. And hike trails.
    For history, I enjoyed Hue, the ancient capital located in central VN. You'll see the Imperial Palace, royal tombs, and sacred temples. It was also near here that some of the major battles of the American War (aka Vietnam War) took place, and you can visit the famous DMZ (demilitarized zone).

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.viet-imports.com/images/vietnam/Custom/Hue%20thien%20Mu%20Pagoda%202.jpg')

Saigon does have some recent history too, and the War Remnants Museum is a must. But it's mostly a party city where life begins at night.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to travel south of Saigon, where the Mekong Delta region is home to several floating markets:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.travelatvietnam.com/Photos/News/Mekong-Delta-tour.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.traveltovietnam.cc/Upload/tour/99200813134_MeKongDelta_Tour.jpg')

OK, if you do just one thing in Vietnam, it should be a visit to Halong Bay in the North. The natural wonder here is beyond majestic. At a minimum, take a 1.5 day cruise out to the heart of the bay, and I do recommend a deluxe cruise to enjoy this once in a lifetime experience (~ $150/person).

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.halongbayvietnam.net/banner.jpg')

Also in the North is Sa Pa, and I'll let the picture speak for itself:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hanoielegancehotel.com/he4/images/infor/T8_2009/sa-pa-thien-duong-binh-yen.jpg')

If you have one week
    North to Central: Spend 1 day in Hanoi, 2 days in Sa Pa (transportation is >= 10 hours one way; you can save time by taking overnight trains both ways), 1.5 days in Halong Bay, back to Hanoi for 0.5 days, fly to Hue, spend 1-2 days there.

If you have 2 weeks
    Central to South: After Hue, visit nearby Hoi An and My Son for 2 days. Then head over to Nha Trang, the ultimate beach town. Next, stop by Saigon; visit a couple of museums during the day, then join the locals and expats for the night scene. Finally, it's a toss up between "eternal spring" Da Lat and the floating markets of the South.

I Miss Vietnam. I enjoyed my trip, It wasn't that bad. My grandma lived near the beach in Vung Tau, and being from Hawaii, it was like home. Except there were tons of cars and buildings! Eeks, But everyone was friendly. My grandma was really paranoid when we were in Saigon.. lol. Apparently there's been a lot of mugging and crime, so if you go there be careful? It was beautiful. All the Christmas decoration was beautiful!! (: I want to go back!!

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    If your base is in HCM city, go to Dalat and/or Hue.

If your base in Hanoi, go Halong Bay.
    another place is Sapa

restaurants in ha noi Vietnamese food