Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam

Default Vietnam

Hi everybody, I'm Vietnamese and I'm working in tourism.
    Just want to let you all know that feel free to ask any questions that I can help with, and I'm happy to be a travel advisor for you for tours around Vietnam - Thailand - Lao and Cambodia.

Cheers
    We go dancing in the moonlight, with the star lights in your eyes. We go dancing 'till the sunrise...

WHat would be the best place to go in Vietnam?

Thailand?

The food you must eat in both?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    WHat would be the best place to go in Vietnam?
    Thailand?
    The food you must eat in both?
    It's hard to say where is the best place, probadly it's easier if telling about best time to visit.
    It depends on your hobbies, your interest to see where is more suitable for you to go and activities you should take. It depends on your level of budget to find out where you should stay and places is more suitable to eat.

Anyways, in Thai land, I like Chiang mai and Phuket.
    You should have the Pad Thai in Thailand.

In Vietnam, I like Hue and Hoi An.
    "Pho" noodle soup is famous especially in Ha Noi.

Cheers,
    We go dancing in the moonlight, with the star lights in your eyes. We go dancing 'till the sunrise...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    It's hard to say where is the best place, probadly it's easier if telling about best time to visit.
    It depends on your hobbies, your interest to see where is more suitable for you to go and activities you should take. It depends on your level of budget to find out where you should stay and places is more suitable to eat.

Anyways, in Thai land, I like Chiang mai and Phuket.
    You should have the Pad Thai in Thailand.

In Vietnam, I like Hue and Hoi An.
    "Pho" noodle soup is famous especially in Ha Noi.

Cheers,

I went to VN for a very short amount of time. I stayed in District 4 near Cau Dua , where Diamond was near.

and Binh Duong.

Sad that i didn't get to go to Ha Ving Long.. any recommendations next time i should go to VN?
    Last edited by Sugar; 06-30-07 at 02:08 AM.

If your base is in HCM city, go to Dalat and/or Hue.

If your base in Hanoi, go Halong Bay.

Yep, the 3 "must things" to do in the north of Vietnam (by travelling to Ha Noi) is go to Ha Long bay, do the trekking in Sapa and have "Pho" - noodle soup.

If you interest in cities and culture: go to Ha Noi, Hue, Hoi An, Sai Gon
    If you like relaxing at the beach: go to Ha Long bay, relaxing on boat, Nha Trang - the nicest beach in Vietnam, Mui Ne (near Nha Trang) also very nice and less tourists.

And of course, it's up to your hobbies, your time and your budget, there will be many way to plan your trip. Please feel free to ask.

Cheers..

Yep, the 3 "must things" to do in the north of Vietnam (by travelling to Ha Noi) is go to Ha Long bay, do the trekking in Sapa and have "Pho" - noodle soup.

If you interest in cities and culture: go to Ha Noi, Hue, Hoi An, Sai Gon
    If you like relaxing at the beach: go to Ha Long bay, relaxing on boat, Nha Trang - the nicest beach in Vietnam, Mui Ne (near Nha Trang) also very nice and less tourists.

And of course, it's up to your hobbies, your time and your budget, there will be many way to plan your trip. Please feel free to ask.

Cheers..
    how much are plane tickets during the summer? say if i was to fly from LAX or San Diego airport to HCM City?

Vinci: Can you believe I'm Viet, and have lived in VN for 17 years and am going to Sa Pa for the first time next week? Shocking, I know. Anyway, yeah, you must go to Sapa while you're here.

While at Ha Long Bay, stop by Cat Ba island which is near there and you can go there for a day trip. Actually beaches in Cat Ba are a lot cleaner than Ha Long.

For shopping, just stay in HCMC, don't come out north. As a Hanoian I must admit that shopping in HCMC is much superior than shopping in Hanoi, though there are pretty nice stuff in the Hanoi Old Quarters. Speaking of which, on a tourist-sy sort of attraction, a cyclo tour through the Old Quarters is a must in Hanoi.

Oh Hoi An has great tailor shops where you can get clothes made and they'll be available within the same day and they're really cheap (relative to foreign currency anyway).

There are those huge package tours you could take that takes you from the top of the country down to the south, stopping at all the tourist attraction points along the way (Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang).

What I found really interesting when my high school class took a trip down to HCMC the other year was visiting the Cu Chi tunnels. It's a great place to visit if you're interested in history. Though I must say the War Museum in HCMC freaked me out.

As for Pho, you must really try real Hanoian Pho. If you've ever by chance eaten it overseas, forget it. Try real Hanoi Pho, it's much much better (and cheaper). I'd say part of the experience is actually sitting in the road side stalls but I know a lot of tourists are very reluctant to try those but tbh now there are some pretty decent looking shops that sell Pho, they're not all dirty and yucky like before ). Oh and Bun Cha (noddle with BBQ pork) is apparently v. popular with foreigners tho I really have no idea why. All my expat friends love it and every time I go out to lunch with them they would suggest Bun Cha. So I guess it's worth trying out.

(Sorry to steal your thunder, Vinci. )
    Last edited by hmschocolate; 07-03-07 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    how much are plane tickets during the summer? say if i was to fly from LAX or San Diego airport to HCM City?
    It depends on your travel's date and time, but I can quote you a price for Vietnam airline for about 1160USD - returns ticket (including tax). For furthur question, please feel free to email asking me - my address is: [email protected].

To hmschocolate: no need to worry by posting your suggestion into this topic. This is the topic about Vietnam, and I'm happy if we can discuss "Everything about Vietnam". Even I've been lived here for 23 years, but I haven's discover the country enough. So please feel free to let me know your experience or just what you plan, maybe I can help with.

It depends on your travel's date and time, but I can quote you a price for Vietnam airline for about 1160USD - returns ticket (including tax). For furthur question, please feel free to email asking me - my address is: [email protected].

To hmschocolate: no need to worry by posting your suggestion into this topic. This is the topic about Vietnam, and I'm happy if we can discuss "Everything about Vietnam". Even I've been lived here for 23 years, but I haven's discover the country enough. So please feel free to let me know your experience or just what you plan, maybe I can help with.
    dam, so after i fly to VN i'll have to eat mi` goi' all month, no good.

dam, so after i fly to VN i'll have to eat mi` goi' all month, no good.
    I don't know exactly how much it costs, but this is the price for 2 ways. You are travelling from America, so it's reasonable. Anyway, Am i misunderstanding anything??

I don't know exactly how much it costs, but this is the price for 2 ways. You are travelling from America, so it's reasonable. Anyway, Am i misunderstanding anything??
    nope i was just joking haha. it's about right i think, last time we paid about the same thing.

How much are the expenses to stay for a couple of days? i.e. Tour guide, accomodations, food, the general gist? I might go visit Vietnam on my trip to China (ha if that EVER happens).

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    How much are the expenses to stay for a couple of days? i.e. Tour guide, accomodations, food, the general gist? I might go visit Vietnam on my trip to China (ha if that EVER happens).
    it really depends on where you go, it can be relatively cheap, but tourist will always get charge alot if they know you're tourist (which they most likely will)

Well, it depends on your level of budget, of course, and it depends on how you want people to arrange your trip. When an open tour (they say it's included transport, entrance fee, meals..) cost about 20USD (for examble), but you will be joining with a big group, with a backpacker's services and quality (and normally you will need to pay some extra money for meals or a short time motorbike ride..thousand of reason for you to be charged more), then you can chose also a private tour costs around 50USD with better quality and services...

it really depends on where you go, it can be relatively cheap, but tourist will always get charge alot if they know you're tourist (which they most likely will)
    Well, it depends on your level of budget, of course, and it depends on how you want people to arrange your trip. When an open tour (they say it's included transport, entrance fee, meals..) cost about 20USD (for examble), but you will be joining with a big group, with a backpacker's services and quality (and normally you will need to pay some extra money for meals or a short time motorbike ride..thousand of reason for you to be charged more), then you can chose also a private tour costs around 50USD with better quality and services...
    $50 for a couple of days?!?! So cheap! Damn I really want to go now...But these are English-speaking tour guides, right? I can't speak Vietnamnese.

$50 for a couple of days?!?! So cheap! Damn I really want to go now...But these are English-speaking tour guides, right? I can't speak Vietnamnese.

actually, being in VN, I actually spend faster over there compared to the states......

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    actually, being in VN, I actually spend faster over there compared to the states......
    What do you mean? You tend to buy a lot or it's expensive there?

What do you mean? You tend to buy a lot or it's expensive there?
    everything is cheaper, but u tend to use more. for example if u go somewhere u either pay for taxi, or some sort of rental transportation, if u decide to use your family vehicle u'll pay for parking (yes u pay for parking everywhere u go) lol.

for example: going to the book store u pay parking, going to a supermarket u pay parking, going to a mall u pay parking, going to theme park u pay parking, 1 round trip in a day and u pay parking about 10 times, it's pretty funny.

everything is cheaper, but u tend to use more. for example if u go somewhere u either pay for taxi, or some sort of rental transportation, if u decide to use your family vehicle u'll pay for parking (yes u pay for parking everywhere u go) lol.

for example: going to the book store u pay parking, going to a supermarket u pay parking, going to a mall u pay parking, going to theme park u pay parking, 1 round trip in a day and u pay parking about 10 times, it's pretty funny.

That as well. For me, I was more like " Oh , so cheap! gotta buy buy buy!. "

Everyone mostly uses cash.. so I ended up using all my cash within a day.. I swear, i think i spent 200 in one day....

also, when u got back to VN... tihi, u always get stuck brining your relatives from VN gifts and souvenirs from the US